Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2020 5:28:02 PM EDT
With the deep discounts the RV companies are having, I am thinking of picking up a 5th wheel camper.

I have wanted one for a long time and now is the time to buy it seems like, since prices are 30%-50% off of normal.  

This will be my first 5th wheel and I'd like to buy the right brand.  What I am looking for is a 4 season camper that I can use year round and to possibly have set up as a base-camp if I buy some land.

Anyone have any tips on brand, what to look for and best quality builds?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Grand Designs
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Outdoors RV and Arctic Fox are top 4 season brands.  A bit on the expensive side.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
What year make model truck do you have
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
In normal years you can get 30%+ of MSRP, just an FYI.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TRRiverdude:
Outdoors RV and Arctic Fox are top 4 season brands.  A bit on the expensive side.
View Quote

QFT.

But, TOW VEHICLE?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged for topic of interest to me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You talking New or Used?    

Which brand has the best waterproof Roof?

Tagged for info.

Where should I be looking to see the deep discounts?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CBass123:
Tagged for topic of interest to me.
View Quote

Tow vehicle with be an F350 1 Ton Crew Cab long bed.  

I fully rebuilt the engine a couple years ago (stage 2 cams, new heads, egr delete, overboard, studded, ect...).  New transmission, 19.5 wheels with semi truck tires. Non-dually.

I use the truck daily and don't see a problem towing anything around 34 ft and smaller.

So far, it seems like for the money involved, the build quality of the 32-37 ft campers is much higher than for the shorter campers.  I would probably prefer a 25ft -29ft just for mobility, but for just a little more money, the larger campers seem to be built a lot better and have a lot more amenities.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy used, let someone else suffer depreciation.

Then if you dont enjoy it and decide to sell you arent losing your ass.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Jayco Eagle, but I also like the Grand Design and Arctic Fox.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Fusemaster:
I have a Jayco Eagle, but I also like the Grand Design and Arctic Fox.
View Quote

We just bought a 2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R. It is great and the perfect
floor plan for us. I doubt you would get any more than 30% off of any of the popular
floor plans. Also the factories have been shut down for many weeks and the supply and variety
are drying up.

OP look at the capacity stickers in your truck's door jams and don't buy anything with tongue
weight or total weight more than your truck's capacity. make sure to factor driver and passenger
weights as well as cargo weight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I build (Group Leader - Final) Dutchmen Voltage Toy Haulers & the new Dutchmen Yukon fifth wheels.  I personally own a 2005 Dutchmen Classic 32’ bunkhouse fifth wheel. I bought it used off the original owner that had it stored indoors it’s whole life and was only used a handful of times until I picked it up about 5 years ago.

I’ve been in the industry for 17 years and have been either at Voltage/Yukon(new) or Keystone Cougar lines. IMO, it depends what your looking to do when camping. I would find the floor plan that you like and start from there. Just about all the manufacturers make similar floor plans and different tiers of campers (entry/mid/luxury). The best value is in a mid level camper. I would either look in that class and/or find a very lightly used model. The benefits of used are the depreciation and the previous owners should have the bugs worked out. Most new campers will have some minor issues after purchase that need addressed. You seem handy and can probably fix most things without relying on a dealer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What year make model truck do you have
View Quote
Yep, gonna need a 2020 F350 4X4 diesel with dual wheels or that thang ain't budging the least li'l bit!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ChadG:
Buy used, let someone else suffer depreciation.

Then if you dont enjoy it and decide to sell you arent losing your ass.

View Quote

This.

As for a brand, Holiday Rambler. We had a 37ft Presidential. That thing has more storage in it than any other one we looked at. They're also better insulated. Depending on your budget, they have been making the upper area a kitchen or living room, with the sleeping quarters at the rear. Damn nice layout. We would have bought one of those, but they were too new and used wasn't an option, so spending $70k just to have it drop to $30k in the first week wasn't an option.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Make sure you know what your buying. I bought a used fifth wheel and ended up putting 2k in repairs in it and alot of time and aggravation.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
A lot of people who live in them use these:

http://www.drvsuites.com/

I live in mine, but it is just a Jayco. I like it though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Arctic Fox would be the 5th wheel I suggest for 4 season.  And your truck sounds like it will work just fine for towing as long as you don't have it lifted too high.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#19]
We bought a Palomino Columbus Compass.  It is well made. The floor plan was the deciding factor.   Look for last year models or left overs from previous years.  You will find a bigger price break.  We bought ours because my son moved south and we would visit him for a month at a time.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:

Tow vehicle with be an F350 1 Ton Crew Cab long bed.  

I fully rebuilt the engine a couple years ago (stage 2 cams, new heads, egr delete, overboard, studded, ect...).  New transmission, 19.5 wheels with semi truck tires. Non-dually.

I use the truck daily and don't see a problem towing anything around 34 ft and smaller.

So far, it seems like for the money involved, the build quality of the 32-37 ft campers is much higher than for the shorter campers.  I would probably prefer a 25ft -29ft just for mobility, but for just a little more money, the larger campers seem to be built a lot better and have a lot more amenities.
View Quote

I have a 36ft Patio Hauler with a ~12ft living room slide out and 10ft garage (separated by a wall/door) works great in the desert but it’s a PITA in the mountains/trees. If I did it over again I’d go shorter length with multiple slide outs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By icex:

Make sure you know what your buying. I bought a used fifth wheel and ended up putting 2k in repairs in it and alot of time and aggravation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By icex:

Make sure you know what your buying. I bought a used fifth wheel and ended up putting 2k in repairs in it and alot of time and aggravation.

Exactly, many people by 5th wheels to live in and pull them 7 to 12 thousand miles a year or more. there is a big
difference in one that was used monthly with a few hundred miles a month and one that was bounced on crappy
roads for thousands of miles a month
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

Exactly, many people by 5th wheels to live in and pull them 7 to 12 thousand miles a year or more. there is a big
difference in one that was used monthly with a few hundred miles a month and one that was bounced on crappy
roads for thousands of miles a month
View Quote

That is one reason I think I want to buy new.  

Also, with the discounts available, I don't think I'd be saving much money buying used.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a new keystone last year bumper pull but its nice. Dont care much for the warranty because it sucks anyways and doesn't cover anything. Youll basically have to fix everything any anything yourself anyways. None of them are truly 4 season I dont think. Arctic fox is but if it gets cold enough stuff will freeze. Any of them can be 4 season if you want to leave it parked and occupied in the winter, you just put skirting up and run a space heater underneath. Other than that anything that you want to know PM me and I can help you out. I researched a million hours before I bought it. I love it, family loves it and we use the shit out of it so dont let naysayers lead you away.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at Mid levels in the 60 - 80k range.

Most of them have about the same crappy build quality. Most of the components are the same, water heaters, pumps, furnace and A/C, crappy Furion tv's, plastic faucets, Chinese 'bomb' tires, and Lippert frames welded by a welding school dropout.

So, just find one that has a floor plan you like, and live with it long enough to figure out the shortcomings, so you'll know what to buy next time.

OH, and the most important thing, make sure the dealership has a great service department; that means they have competent service techs and can do the work in a timely manner, because you are at their beck and call to get warranty work done.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I had two fifth wheels in my lifetime. We now have a motorhome. FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better off.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:

That is one reason I think I want to buy new.  

Also, with the discounts available, I don't think I'd be saving much money buying used.
View Quote

There is so much variety among them, if you're at all picky its tough to even find  a good one used.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
I had two fifth wheels in my lifetime. We now have a motorhome. FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better off.
View Quote

Why?

I highly disagree with your opinion

You still have to tow a vehicle behind your motor home unless you go nowhere or want to
break camp every time you want to go somewhere. It is probably much more expensive in the
long run. You have only one use for it unlike having a truck and travel trailer rig. You can use the
truck for other duties when you are not towing the trailer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why?

I highly disagree with your opinion

You still have to tow a vehicle behind your motor home unless you go nowhere or want to
break camp every time you want to go somewhere. It is probably much more expensive in the
long run. You have only one use for it unlike having a truck and travel trailer rig. You can use the
truck for other duties when you are not towing the trailer.
View Quote
Thats all true but a motorhome you can sleep in the back while the other person drives. Thats priceless.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#29]
They depreciate worse than almost anything. Whatever you do don't finance it for more than a few years otherwise you'll always be upside down on the loan.
From the people I know that have big 5er's after a couple/few years they start to become maintenance intensive, will nickle and dime you to death, there will always be something that needs to be fixed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Nootropics:
Thats all true but a motorhome you can sleep in the back while the other person drives. Thats priceless.
View Quote

I disagree, my wife can sleep in the passenger seat if needed, but that is rare.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I disagree, my wife can sleep in the passenger seat if needed, but that is rare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Nootropics:
Thats all true but a motorhome you can sleep in the back while the other person drives. Thats priceless.

The build quality on RVs with engines is a little better due to lemon laws.  They don't apply to engineless RVs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Or you could choose not to clog your neighborhood and roadways with a massive trailer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Whatever you buy change the tires to "g" rated or better right off the bat.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Or you could choose not to clog your neighborhood and roadways with a massive trailer.
View Quote

Feel free to elaborate. Or is this a “stop liking what I don’t like” situation?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The build quality on RVs with engines is a little better due to lemon laws.  They don't apply to engineless RVs.
View Quote

My Solitude is built very well and my Ram truck is far more dependable.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

A "stay out of the left lane" comment probably would have been a better ice breaker in an RV thread.

Supposedly RV sales are booming as people want to sleep in their own germs more than someone else's this year.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]
The lower-end range of a new 5th wheel camper is 40k

That's a lot of plane ticket / holiday resort / OCONUS travel money.

Spend your money where you spend your time.

The vast majority of Campers sit rotting for eons, it's to the point a moldy trailer/boat sitting unused is part of the middle-class lifestyle.

Don't be baited

ETA: You want to buy land how far would that trailer money go to securing the perfect property jesus bro
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The vast majority of Campers sit rotting for eons, it's to the point a moldy trailer/boat sitting unused is part of the middle-class lifestyle.

Don't be baited

ETA: You want to buy land how far would that trailer money go to securing the perfect property jesus bro
View Quote
That was something a friend once mentioned. Drive by any storage facility on a "holiday" weekend and it's still full of nearly new campers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That was something a friend once mentioned. Drive by any storage facility on a "holiday" weekend and it's still full of nearly new campers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be baited

Not in my hood, I camp places that would be impossible to get a hotel anywhere close to, but this thread is about a person
that wants a 5th wheel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#41]
My vote is for Arctic Fox.  I have one, and it's solid.  Build quality is on another level from most of the RV crap on the market, and I love the 4 season insulation.  

The tradeoff is they are HEAVY for their size.  The other end of the spectrum from "ultralight RVs."  HEAVY!  I've seen pictures of Arctic Fox trailers that have been rolled on the highway, and came through it in one piece.  Takes a lot of wood and metal to do that.  Did I mention heavy?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know how much that's worth.  I try to avoid taking mine out on holiday weekends - too many people everywhere.  But I'll take mine out off-season for weeks at a time.  

That's another benefit to a 4 season RV - you can have places to yourself once it's cold out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I guess I am in the other camp, a guy is coming to pick up our fifth wheel that he bought from us last night. We bought land in Northern Michigan and built a cabin last year. Was going to just leave camper there, but it sucks compared to the cabin. Cost me 2k for the 4 years we owned it. It's a 2001 BTW, so happy to see it go.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thats all true but a motorhome you can sleep in the back while the other person drives. Thats priceless.
View Quote

In many states somebody can be in a fifth wheel as long as they have a not-cellphone way of communicating with the tow vehicle.

All states if they keep the curtains closed
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Love my Jayco eagle

At 42ft and 4 slides it has a crapload of room which is important since i full time out of it with my wife and daughter.

That said it has

quality dexter axles,

probably the best tires factory Goodyear endurance,

all aluminum frame construction with a nice beefy steel main frame.

Frame less windows

Washer dryer prep'd

Its 4 season standard.

It has the ground control 3.0 electrical stabilizing jacks which are amazing

Morryde steps
Morryde hitch
Morryde suspension damper

Wet links on the leaf springs.

Nice ac units

And a well put together water/sewage control board.

My master control panel is an android tablet so I can control most things from my phone. And most of my light switches are wireless which is odd but they work as well as car remotes and are mounded to the wall just no wires to worry about

And its only 15k full with about 2500lb pin weight.

Thing pulls like a dream.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't know how much that's worth.  I try to avoid taking mine out on holiday weekends - too many people everywhere.  But I'll take mine out off-season for weeks at a time.  

That's another benefit to a 4 season RV - you can have places to yourself once it's cold out.
View Quote
You kinda missed the point. For the majority of people they simply don't used them and they sit and rot while making payments on them. the duration they'll finance them for is a losing proposition for almost everyone, it'll never be worth what you owe.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I build (Group Leader - Final) Dutchmen Voltage Toy Haulers & the new Dutchmen Yukon fifth wheels.  I personally own a 2005 Dutchmen Classic 32’ bunkhouse fifth wheel. I bought it used off the original owner that had it stored indoors it’s whole life and was only used a handful of times until I picked it up about 5 years ago.

I’ve been in the industry for 17 years and have been either at Voltage/Yukon(new) or Keystone Cougar lines. IMO, it depends what your looking to do when camping. I would find the floor plan that you like and start from there. Just about all the manufacturers make similar floor plans and different tiers of campers (entry/mid/luxury). The best value is in a mid level camper. I would either look in that class and/or find a very lightly used model. The benefits of used are the depreciation and the previous owners should have the bugs worked out. Most new campers will have some minor issues after purchase that need addressed. You seem handy and can probably fix most things without relying on a dealer.
View Quote

@Staticstang

Did you build this?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You kinda missed the point. For the majority of people they simply don't used them and they sit and rot while making payments on them. the duration they'll finance them for is a losing proposition for almost everyone, it'll never be worth what you owe.
View Quote

and you know the OP is like this how? Show me any recreation expense that pays for itself. It
doesn't, but you know this right?

You are missing the point.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
 I've seen pictures of Arctic Fox trailers that have been rolled on the highway, and came through it in one piece.
View Quote

You're going to have to provide links for this claim.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

and you know the OP is like this how? Show me any recreation expense that pays for itself. It

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For most people boats and campers are cheaper to rent.....unless you can do all your own maintenance and aren't paying storage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top