[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who is "they"?
View Quote

Them guys
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna assume your small town has very low property prices?

Speed
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Their congregation, their money. Who cares?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#6]
That money could have gone toward actually helping people
View Quote

Judas very words when he demanded that they sell the scented oil Mary was to annoint Jesus with.

Good thing Solomon didn't heed your advice or he would have been defying God.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The tax free doing tax free things and what not.. donations help too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#9]
The poor will always be with you.

Meaning you can pour as much money as you have down that rathole and it will never make a difference.

Private institutions learned this far before the government ever will.

Buildings are nice to look at however.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#10]

You should never trust anyone with the "I was born feet first" haircut.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm gonna assume your small town has very low property prices?

Speed
View Quote

Isn't amazing how a town with low properties prices and money actually spent on maintenance can become a town with high property prices ,  barely spend anything on maintenance. The same houses just older and somehow that something to look up to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Money laundering scheme, imho.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#14]
don't know about this church but having the bigger property allows the church to host events themselves since  a lot of city/county/state property's say no to church events.

many church's have their normal money dispersments towards charities and many times these special projects are really happening because of a few donors who dig deep into their pockets - this is how things really get done, the nickles and dimes keep the lights on and cover payroll

Even in the Bible with everyone running around it was the widow who was a major financier of Jesus's early church
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Non-denom, sanitized, religious-smelling social clubs are great moneymakers, dawg.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#16]
The Roman Catholic Church received $1.4 billion of PPP loan money.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Lawyer churches built and maintained in every county seat, paid for with tax dollars, are a bigger travesty.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are misconstruing the points.

I'm not looking to sell stuff to make money. I'm saying the money they WASTE on these worship-of-man centers, who claim to be Christian, could have been used to actually do Christian things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That money could have gone toward actually helping people

Judas very words when he demanded that they sell the scented oil Mary was to annoint Jesus with.

Good thing Solomon didn't heed your advice or he would have been defying God.

You are misconstruing the points.

I'm not looking to sell stuff to make money. I'm saying the money they WASTE on these worship-of-man centers, who claim to be Christian, could have been used to actually do Christian things.
... is that what the parishioners that paid for it told you?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#19]
What Lutherans are building mega churches?  Most congregations are just trying to stay alive right now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I go to a "big"church, something like 5000 "members", ~2000 on a given Sunday, been there 30 years.
Same pastor for 38 years, straight from the Word, no prisoners, not there to tickle ears and make you feel good.
None of the staff are what i would consider wealthy and we do a lot of things for the community.

Down the road you have places like Newspring, where you can get your weekly jams and feel-good motivational speech without getting your toes stepped on.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 ESV
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#21]
As long as they are preaching the actual wird of God why do you care?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Wait til they go pew to pew with baskets on really long handles.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From their website:

We are Christ centered, God loving and Spirit-filled. We are contemporary in our worship. We are non-denominational.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is "they"?

From their website:

We are Christ centered, God loving and Spirit-filled. We are contemporary in our worship. We are non-denominational.

Yet, you slammed Catholics and Lutherans in your OP........you're just a confused little guy aren't you?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Most modern churches are glorified country clubs with Christianity as the theme.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Tax shelters
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanna know how I know that you don't know neither jack, nor shit about how a churches finances and tax situation work?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

From their website:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is "they"?

From their website:

Calvary Chapel ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Smells like tax fraud with a side of laundering.

I guess car washes doesn't work like it used to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lawyer churches built and maintained in every county seat, paid for with tax dollars, are a bigger travesty.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/215362/4c38073ebf542bcee2fd52ad376f32a6_jpg-1503397.JPG
View Quote

This...right here......so-called freedom lovers complaining about others finding a way around .gov extortion and theft.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#31]
A million dollars really isn't that much any more.  I bet you have neighborhoods full of single family homes valued around half a million dollars each.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Each parish is financially independent. How much did the various Baptists get? Lutherans?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#35]
You think this is a modem day thing?   It’s been like this for thousands or years.   Actually since way before Christianity.  I don’t get it either but that seems to be the thing to do.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A million dollars really isn't that much any more.  I bet you have neighborhoods full of single family homes valued around half a million dollars each.
View Quote

My little 3 bed 2 bath 1300 sf home on a 1/8th acre is appraised at 400k.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yup, sure did. I know of several Lutheran/Catholic HUMUNGO and elaborate churches. They just happen to be in well-off communities. I've been to several growing up, and went to Christian private school. I have competed in scholastic events at several around MN.

As the poster said above; 'they are country clubs with a Christian theme'

I also know of several Lutheran/Baptist/Catholic churches that do good work for the community. They have a modest building (usually repurposed from a failed/moved company) and actually do Christian things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is "they"?

From their website:

Yet, you slammed Catholics and Lutherans in your OP........you're just a confused little guy aren't you?
Yup, sure did. I know of several Lutheran/Catholic HUMUNGO and elaborate churches. They just happen to be in well-off communities. I've been to several growing up, and went to Christian private school. I have competed in scholastic events at several around MN.

I also know of several Lutheran/Baptist/Catholic churches that do good work for the community. They have a modest building (usually repurposed from a failed/moved company) and actually do Christian things.

You got that wide brush out anyway....
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#39]
OP do you judge heathens that build nice things the same way?

Or are they allowed nice things since they openly oppose the things of God?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Even a small church costs millions. Construction is expensive.

Quoted:
I'm saying the money they WASTE on these worship-of-man centers, who claim to be Christian, could have been used to actually do Christian things.
View Quote

There's literally a Bible verse about this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Church has employees and business expenses.

I know, crazy, right...?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Go visit when they open and judge for yourself if it's wasted space. It's seems foolish to judge before you have any basis to do so.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, government has muscled/regulated Christian churches out of a lot of the charity business, so that money has to go somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Because that is how God rolls? He who has the most bitch'n crib gets salvation?

I will say that I'm Christian. I've seen things too coincidental for it all to be by accident. I believe. That being said, the modern day Catholics, Lutherans and anybody else who builds these humungo ultra-expensive "places of worship" are missing the entire point. That money could have gone toward actually helping people. Yes, having a building makes sense. No, you don't need the monstrosities they build. Fucking disgusts me they call themselves Godly people (the organizers of these churches of profit that is, the people who they lure in less so).
View Quote

Construction trades and materials suppliers and manufacturers aren't people?

Charity without a very specific objective is not virtuous.   The guy who buys a multimillion dollar yacht does more good for working folks than some idiot who spews a millions bucks in the air in the name of charity.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Most modern churches are glorified country clubs with Christianity as the theme.
View Quote

Why do you hate Christianity?
Does it make you feel bad about something?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#47]
When one of the two big churches in a nearby town put up a new building they found a spot that was slightly higher geographically than the competitor.   They apparently frequently told people they were closer to God.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't speak for other denominations as I have no experience. But I'd love for you to give an example of a Catholic "country club" church.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Jesus tells people: care for the poor and less fortunate.

View Quote

So, what you're saying is that rather than buying something expensive that cost, say, 300 days wages, you should give that money to the poor?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because that is how God rolls? He who has the most bitch'n crib gets salvation?

I will say that I'm Christian. I've seen things too coincidental for it all to be by accident. I believe. That being said, the modern day Catholics, Lutherans and anybody else who builds these humungo ultra-expensive "places of worship" are missing the entire point. That money could have gone toward actually helping people. Yes, having a building makes sense. No, you don't need the monstrosities they build. Fucking disgusts me they call themselves Godly people (the organizers of these churches of profit that is, the people who they lure in less so).
View Quote

The economics of commercial churches leads to one helluva business when biblical tithing is the source of revenue.

Its simple - run the math. Account for tax advantage.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top