Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/23/2018 6:41:50 PM EDT
I saw it via the BBC.

Ill be honest it had me in tears at moments. We talk about the generation that fought WW2 but the generation that fought WW1....Jesus its hard to imagine that kind of war.

They Shall Not Grow Old – New Trailer – Now Playing In Theaters
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I very much want to see it. I didn't know it was available for viewing outside of theaters yet?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I very much want to see it. I didn't know it was available for viewing outside of theaters yet?
View Quote
The BBC aired it. They had the UK rights. WB has the US rights and it will only be shown a few days.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The BBC aired it. They had the UK rights. WB has the US rights and it will only be shown a few days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a listing of theaters that will be showing it yet?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I haven't seen a list yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Dentistry sure has come a long ways in the past 100 years...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Fascinating!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks really good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazing footage,  would love to see it!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dentistry sure has come a long ways in the past 100 years...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24334/Teef_jpg-748600.JPG
View Quote
Yes it has. At least in America.

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:
I haven't seen a list yet.
View Quote
December 17th & 27th showings only.

Tickets (theaters)

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/they-shall-not-grow-old
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You have no clue how long Ive been waiting for this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks - my wife just bought me tickets for my Birthday.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Really looking forward to seeing this.  I’ll probably have to wait for it to come on iTunes or Netflix though...
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a fan of altering historic film by colorizing it, but if the whole documentary is as good as the preview I might change my mind.

Looks to be well done.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

December 17th & 27th showings only.

Tickets (theaters)

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/they-shall-not-grow-old
View Quote
Shit!

Looks like it'll be near me only on the 17th.  A work day.  I'm going to have to use a vacation day it appears.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Outstanding.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of altering historic film by colorizing it, but if the whole documentary is as good as the preview I might change my mind.

Looks to be well done.
View Quote
Well, you'll love the fact that they further modified the footage.  You know how old B&W movies from the 10's and 20's look all speed up and herky-jerky? (Mostly cause the cameras were hand-cranked, so very hard to maintain a steady framerate) Watch the trailer again.  They used computers to smooth out the frame rate issues, so it looks 'normal'.  So yeah, colorized and a realistic smooth frame rate.

I am really looking forward to it.  Should be fascinating.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, you'll love the fact that they further modified the footage.  You know how old B&W movies from the 10's and 20's look all speed up and herky-jerky? (Mostly cause the cameras were hand-cranked, so very hard to maintain a steady framerate) Watch the trailer again.  They used computers to smooth out the frame rate issues, so it looks 'normal'.  So yeah, colorized and a realistic smooth frame rate.

View Quote
Wasn't the speeded up issue not to do with later projectors having a faster frames-per-second speed due to the adoption of on-film soundtrack?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]
All I can say is WOW.

I hope its playing close to me.  Just from an historic stand point it should be required for High School history classes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Shit!

Looks like it'll be near me only on the 17th.  A work day.  I'm going to have to use a vacation day it appears.
View Quote
you aren't the only one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All I can say is WOW.

I hope its playing close to me.  Just from an historic stand point it should be required for High School history classes.
View Quote
I just said WOW to myself watching the trailer.

Must see.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
you aren't the only one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit!

you aren't the only one.
Oh.  And "close" is relative.  ~65 miles away vs. a couple hundred for the others listed in Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Not showing close to me. Dang.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks, I had heard about it but didn’t realize it would be two days only. Just ordered my tickets!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#25]
It's playing anywhere in MS. I damn well hope it makes it to DVD.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks amazing, really want to see it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only annoying bit is they added some CGI-esque effects to some of the shots, that end up just looking awful. No idea why they did so, but it takes away from the really amazing work of the rest of the film.

Most noticeable in this clip, with the fake grass in front and disappearing roof tiles on the building behind.

https://i.imgur.com/SzdkkcM.gifv
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]
i’ll reply in a second with the link to watch it online
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Just bought a couple if tickets for the 17th .... Thanks OP
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#30]
subbed as a reminder
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice, it's at a close theater...
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm thinking about taking the day off to see it the 27th. Second shift can be a bitch. If I cant get the day off I'm going to preorder the Bluray off AmazonUK for about $20 shipped USD.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The only annoying bit is they added some CGI-esque effects to some of the shots, that end up just looking awful. No idea why they did so, but it takes away from the really amazing work of the rest of the film.

Most noticeable in this clip, with the fake grass in front and disappearing roof tiles on the building behind.

View Quote
wtf? Why would that do that?

Still bought tickets and can't wait to see it!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do we have a reference?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering if they might have done it to hide some error in the film or cover up something that just couldn't be dealt with through retouching and colorizing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Ordered 4. Will be a great companion to my DigHill80 visits in Flanders earlier this year.
The project recovered artifacts and remains of over 120 WW1 soldiers. I was happy to be a part in the dig.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You have no clue how long Ive been waiting for this.
View Quote
Ditto!! I can’t wait. I will be going. Alone. As a man should.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i’ll reply in a second with the link to watch it online
View Quote
Still waiting
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm wondering if they might have done it to hide some error in the film or cover up something that just couldn't be dealt with through retouching and colorizing.
View Quote
remember, they were essentially making 100+ year old film into something watchable to us.  So yea, there will be things to hide blemishes and the like.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got three seats for the 17th.  I have a few friends who would appreciate this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll have to get that on bluray.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow this is actually playing near me. Wonder if I need to order online or if they sell tickets at the box office.
ETA: Thank you OP
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#43]
So the autistics on the four channel gun board have already started to post scenes from the pirated version on the internet. Here's an example of the stabilization and colorization they did on the footage they had. This clip is a webm, not a gif or more commonplace video file.  It begins with the herky-jerky, black and white video, and it progresses to the stabilized, colorized video:

http://i.4cdn.org/k/1542152381035.webm

Here is a clip of a Cheeky Monkey firing a rifle grenade straight up in the air, and knocking his helmet off in the process:

http://i.4cdn.org/k/1542154687754.webm
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll have to get that on bluray.
View Quote
Same, not playing near me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Something interesting I caught. 1:12 to 1:14 in the trailer in the OP is footage of the British 55th Division after being hit by some sort of gas. There's a photograph of that exact same line of troops, which I've put below. You can compare it almost directly to the video. Looks like whoever was recording film was a few feet to the left of the photographer.

ETA: Screenshot from the trailer -

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll be scheduling off.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry for the delay. Here is the link.

https://nofile.io/f/ASCC6KXQ5Bz/TSNGO.mp4
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sorry for the delay. Here is the link.

https://nofile.io/f/ASCC6KXQ5Bz/TSNGO.mp4
View Quote
File Not Found
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

File Not Found
View Quote
maybe it’s expired, i’ve had it up and paused for several days. I found it initially on reddit.

reddit link
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]
In my town on the 17th.  Hell yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top