Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Just started the conjugate system for chest only. Today was max effort flat bench at 85/90/95%. I wasn’t getting progress on 5/3/1 for chest only (weird) but am seeing great gains every where else. Thursday will be our speed day with bands and some accommodating weight with chains.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
I think I've figured out why my ohp has been tanking. I noticed on the BBB sets last week I was putting the bar way out in front instead of rocking back to get the bar past my face. Fixed that this morning and got 4 on the 3+ set. I had to fight through the right shoulder not wanting to activate on the first one but the rest went fine.
View Quote

Proper elbow position is really important if you’re letting it get out in front. Try getting your elbows high and forward and then focus on pushing the bar back and up. If your elbows flare out it’s harder to maintain the bar path.

I suck at them because my shoulders won’t rotate back far enough for a proper lockout. But I do much better when I remember to do this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Got back up to 3 plates x5 on squats today. Took 5 weeks since getting started again. Not gonna complain about that.

Onward to 405!
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Up to 10 rounds of 1 minute on 1 off with the rope less jump rope. Right shoulder is still giving me problems on the ohp. 1+ set today was 135 and the right side didn't want to go, I got it for 1 and almost got it for 2. The left side was almost locked out but the right side just wouldn't go. Very frustrating, I should have gotten that for at least 3.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I stronk and fast, easily defeated the others at Cola Warrior South East.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Feats of strength.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
362.5lbs for 2 on the deadlift. Only made it to 6 on my 4th set of 10 on squat, hip was bothering me again. Starting to get the technique down on the sandbag to shoulder, did that for a couple rounds with the dog wanting to help.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Finished up the first 3 week phase of Bromley Bullmastiff.  Pretty much a "powerbuilding" routine.  Started out easy, but week 3 was brutal.

It's 4x6 for main powerlifting exercise and the last set is AMRAP, then you add 1% to the next week's weight for each AMRAP rep you acheived.  The rest is bodybuilding where you never change weights, you just keep adding sets of all the exercises.  I like it so far.  I got bored with BBB, who would have thought...

Video, forum not letting this Youtube link embed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Bromley has a lot of solid content about programming. I need to carve out a winter block to run some of his stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
201lbs for 2 on bench. Too bad I didn't have a spotter, I might have gotten 3.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
374lbs for 2 on squats.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

So close to second. The guy in first beat me by 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173565/20230422_101023_jpg-2791816.JPG

So close to second. The guy in first beat me by 2 minutes.
View Quote

Running…

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Recovery continues.

Got the deadlift back to 405x5. Maybe still on pace to get back to five plates by end of May.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone ever do IV therapy?  We just signed a lease to host IV therapy at our place.  We wrote in the contract that we get treatments at cost.  Pretty excited to try it out.  Here's the menu that they are essentially copying.  I'm hoping to make the  NAD+ a monthly treatment for myself.

https://www.newagehcw.com/wellness
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:
Anyone ever do IV therapy?  We just signed a lease to host IV therapy at our place.  We wrote in the contract that we get treatments at cost.  Pretty excited to try it out.  Here's the menu that they are essentially copying.  I'm hoping to make the  NAD+ a monthly treatment for myself.

View Quote

I'm pretty sure that the Stoltman brothers do that before competitions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm pretty sure every pro athlete is getting NAD.  Interested to see how well it works.  First I'll have to get wasted and see how the hangover mix works... for science.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been doing partials once a month and likeing the break from full reps but still holding on to heavy weights.

I did an 8 mile armor run last week. I really want to work them in weekly but it just takes time I don't have during the day. Unless I want to run after work. My son is a little to big for the stroller now and not quite up to running speed on his bike yet so I can't do them with him.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:00:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#19]
I think the “easy” part of my recovery is pretty much exhausted after a couple months.

I’ve been running up squats and deadlifts by 10 lbs. per workout, two workouts/week, for a while. Both on the same day. Had to switch squats to 5 lb. jumps last week. On Thursday I got 345x5 on squat and 435x5 on Deadlift and both were a grind. Today I hit 350x5 on squats and then 445 on deadlift wouldn’t budge, even for a single.

It’s too hard to do heavy deadlifts immediately after a grind on squats. I can’t recover from that much work. Gonna have to start alternating a heavy and light day and see if I can keep going up 10 lbs/week instead of 20.

Overall, I’m at about 90% of where I was for 5s before I took a layoff. I’ll take it.

Another month or two and I’ll be ready for 531 again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By grady:
I think the “easy” part of my recovery is pretty much exhausted after a couple months.

I’ve been running up squats and deadlifts by 10 lbs. per workout, two workouts/week, for a while. Both on the same day. Had to switch squats to 5 lb. jumps last week. On Thursday I got 345x5 on squat and 435x5 on Deadlift and both were a grind. Today I hit 350x5 on squats and then 445 on deadlift wouldn’t budge, even for a single.

It’s too hard to do heavy deadlifts immediately after a grind on squats. I can’t recover from that much work. Gonna have to start alternating a heavy and light day and see if I can keep going up 10 lbs/week instead of 20.

Overall, I’m at about 90% of where I was for 5s before I took a layoff. I’ll take it.

Another month or two and I’ll be ready for 531 again.
View Quote

I'm pretty much in the same spot.  I added over 100lbs on my deadlift from my estimates in the last 6 weeks.  Hit a brick wall after blowing out all my workouts.  Supposed to do 5x5+ of 360 and I couldn't even get two reps.  I quit the workout, but got it done a few days later by doing light squats before deadlift, which I never do.  Took a complete rest week last week.

Pretty crazy how your body remembers almost exactly what you did in the past regardless of layoff time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems that the issue with my right shoulder on ohp has resolved. 138.5lbs for 2, almost 3 this morning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
372lbs for 2 on deadlift. I went for 3 but it didn't budge.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]
206lbs for 2 on bench.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
383lbs for 2 squats.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Thought I'd post Bullmastiff progress.  I probably had higher maxes than I inputted to start, but they were close.  They're just estimates obviously, but seems to be working well for me.  Only change I made is adding a dumbell bench/weighted dip day since lack of bench day were in all the negative reviews.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#26]
@Jarcese how did you like the IV therapy?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
@Jarcese how did you like the IV therapy?
View Quote

I liked it.  It only lasted a few days though.  I felt like shit for a few weeks and it righted the ship.  Then I ate like crap, probably OD'ed on caffeine and nicotine pouches, and then worked 20 hours straight.  You definately feel good afterward and I'll probably go once a month.

Here's the menu.  I did the Myer's Cocktail with extra B12.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#28]

I liked it.  It only lasted a few days though.  I felt like shit for a few weeks and it righted the ship.  Then I ate like crap, probably OD'ed on caffeine and nicotine pouches, and then worked 20 hours straight.  You definately feel good afterward and I'll probably go once a month.

View Quote

That's a pricey menu.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#29]

That's a pricey menu.
View All Quotes

That's a pricey menu.

Yup.  I wouldn't do it if I was paying full price, but people do.  You have to have an RN administer and a PA take orders.  That's where all the money goes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I was 202#s yesterday.  I haven't weighed that much since high-school.  I may need to eat more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I had to get in and out fast last week so I just warmed up and hit some 5x10 work......apparently it's been awhile because I was sore as shit for days.

I dug out my Boring But Big spreadsheets and decided to run that for a bit just to build up a little work capacity. I was perpetually sore the last time I ran that program, but my shoulders looked good.

Other than that, my inlaws still confound me.

My niece is home from college for the summer, she was a big girl, but working on it......she is huge now. The whole family is. My brother is law does his best, but they way they approach it is so unhealthy. They set a short term goal, for weight loss, meet it, then immediately backslide into bad habits. It's a big cycle now that I've seen repeated for years.

Last night they had cake for dessert and I asked for just a sliver of it, my mother in law every single time thinks I'm insane. I just want a few fork fulls to get a taste of it, I don't need to make a second meal out of it, I had two plates of supper, that was plenty for the night.

They have a little boy in school now and he proudly told everyone the other day he was the biggest in his class. His dad goes "Yeah, but he hasn't gained any weight in a month, he needs to eat more".....no he doesn't. He's fine, remember when kids used to be skinny until puberty?
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Been real quiet in here for a while. How’s everyone making out?

Life derailed me from my program again. Just started back up this week. Light weights and DOMS suck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I think everyone just gets really sidetracked in the summer, tends to get busy.

I'm doing my best just to hit the weights twice a week at the moment.

This morning we were waiting around at work and proposed a pull up contest with the guys 15-20 years younger than me. Finger grip on the ledge of an I-beam.

I went first, stopped at 12. Could have gotten to 14 or 15.

One guy refused, one got 6, and one got 3. I smoked them....which is kind of sad really. I could crank out pullups at 20, I was built like a soccer player, so there was no weight to move.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm going for a 4 plates squat next week. As long as I can eat and sleep enough I should get it no problem. I don't know that I'll get enough food or sleep though. I know I won't be able to eat enough this week and it's shown, I haven't hit 3 on the 3+ sets yet this week on ohp or deadlift.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#35]
Last layoff was about two months. Today was the 4th day back and I managed to squeeze out 315 squats, 265 bench and 405 deadlifts. All for triples.

I’ll take it, especially being down about 20 lbs. BW from last time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#36]
My goal for the summer was a 405 deadlift. I hit it early in the summer, so I'm excited about that. Was fairly easy so maybe I'm being too conservative. I'm following 5/3/1 and it's been working for me for a few years so I won't question it.

250 bench
165 overhead press
275 squat
405 deadlift

So far. Not bad for an old man.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:
My goal for the summer was a 405 deadlift. I hit it early in the summer, so I'm excited about that. Was fairly easy so maybe I'm being too conservative. I'm following 5/3/1 and it's been working for me for a few years so I won't question it.

250 bench
165 overhead press
275 squat
405 deadlift

So far. Not bad for an old man.
View Quote

531 with a 4th week deload is great for old guys. I ran it for about three years straight and barely ever had to reset except for injury. I’ll get back on it again once I’m all caught up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#38]

531 with a 4th week deload is great for old guys. I ran it for about three years straight and barely ever had to reset except for injury. I’ll get back on it again once I’m all caught up.
View Quote

I've tried skipping that 4th week deload and I just can't. I want to keep going with the progress but experience has taught me that the deload is mandatory. I can't recover fast enough. The next cycle without a deload is just miserable and I have joint pain everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not that old yet but the 4th week deload is a must . By the end of the 3rd week I'm pretty beat up, no way I could start another cycle and do a 7th week deload.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#40]

I've tried skipping that 4th week deload and I just can't. I want to keep going with the progress but experience has taught me that the deload is mandatory. I can't recover fast enough. The next cycle without a deload is just miserable and I have joint pain everywhere.
View All Quotes

Same. When I first started it I felt really good after three weeks so I figured the 6 week on, 1 week deload was the way to go. I was absolutely destroyed by the 6th week.

First and last time I tried that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Ohp was 148lbs today, I couldn't get it strict but push pressed it for 2.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#42]
391lbs for 1 deadlift, cheated and used straps though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#43]
391lbs for 1 deadlift, cheated and used straps though.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with straps on top sets. It’s not cheating. You’re not at a meet, you’re trying to get stronger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#44]
215.5lbs for 1 bench.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Achievement unlocked 405lbs for 2 squats.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Achievement unlocked 405lbs for 2 squats.
View Quote

Nice job!
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Nice job!
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Turned 41 yesterday.  Got a good squat day done and 4 goals at hockey afterwards.  I lost on my $20 birthday scratch tickets though

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm going to add some conditioning finishers this month. "Easy" ones. How would you guys set them up?

Here's what I'm doing currently. I'm not really following much of a progression scheme, just shooting for about 25 reps of each in whatever set/rep scheme will work well for that day without turning it into a grinder. Lighter weight, faster workouts.

Day 1 - OHP, Deadlift
Day2 - Rows, Squat

I've done this one in the past with good results. Chins/Sissy Squat and Dips/Floor Curl. Alternate each minute, for 10 minutes. As many as possible (usually 20-30 seconds tops) then rest for the duration of the minute.

Not sure if I should stagger them so Chin day lands on OHP day, go the other way so Chin day would land on Row day to hit the same stuff as the main work.

I was leaning towards going the staggered route, but because my schedule is so crazy right now if I do them the same day then it might be better for any days where I have a back to back workout so things are a little more fresh the following day.

Or maybe I'll just do a 4 weeks of each and see which kills me less.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Turned 41 yesterday.  Got a good squat day done and 4 goals at hockey afterwards.  I lost on my $20 birthday scratch tickets though

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/473548/Screenshot_20230720-180843_Boostcamp_jpg-2893767.JPG
View Quote

Dang. Do you do a full warm up for deadlift after squats? That's really good for an hour.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top