View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Much warmth and support.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Neither since i dont lift anymore.

But old guys i lifted with have used them.

View Quote

Sad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Broke thread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Sad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Neither since i dont lift anymore.

But old guys i lifted with have used them.

Sad.

Doing lots of running, pushups, and pullups though.

Moving to NH in july maybe ill find some big rocks
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Yay.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Yeah having to work through injuries sucks. I decided on burpess partly just because...why not...and mentally for me burpees have always been brutal. This is a way of getting a little mentally tougher too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Originally Posted By thormx538:

It was just squatting that did me in this time...

you guys would puke if I told you what I was doing now

CrossFit?

Probably worse... Calisthenics.

Jazzercise...

Just kidding. It's even worse

I'm basically doing a shit ton of burpees every day (75-100 in various sets) air squats a few times a week, and working in a few pullups again. A little running too.

Oddly enough, the burpees are really doing good things for me. I hate them, but...they're good.

I pulled up the OG Jazzercize lady video for my wife a week ago. That thing is awesome. My wife made it 4 seconds before she bailed.

I did a million air squats recovering from the back surgery. Paused at the bottoms and partial up paused too. I hated it, but it was all I could do. I do contribute all of the air squats to my greatly increased mobility. I can balls to horse mat flat footed and hold it easily. Full slav.

I’m never doing a burpie. Never. If I fell down, I would just wait for someone to come by and pick me up.

Yeah having to work through injuries sucks. I decided on burpess partly just because...why not...and mentally for me burpees have always been brutal. This is a way of getting a little mentally tougher too.

I have to be careful with burpees, if I get sloppy with them my lower back gets banged up.

They do get you sucking wind though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Oh no shit, which part?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I did about 200 burpees a day for three months straight a couple of years ago. I gained nothing from it except getting better at doing burpees. (Which really doesn't translate to anything else that I do)

It was a complete waist of time for my training.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Garyindiane:
I did about 200 burpees a day for three months straight a couple of years ago. I gained nothing from it except getting better at doing burpees. (Which really doesn't translate to anything else that I do)

Just my 2 cents. YMMV
View Quote

I use them sometimes as a replacement for running, so essentially just working your lungs.

I do them in something like a top of every minute format. Top of each minute for 5-10 minutes you do 30 of them, rest the remainder of the minute.

I hate conditioning, but it's mandatory. I had to run to the truck to get a shovel the other day while we were pouring, it was a short run, maybe 60-70 yards.

I ran straight to the truck, straight back, and then started using the shovel, and I realized I wasn't even a little winded, which was great.

I don't play sports any more, so I just need to make sure I can handle those 5-10 minute things that pop up where you need to go right now. If I tried to run a 45 minute half in soccer I would probably be dead by minute 20 now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Just my 2 cents. YMMV
View Quote

well there isn't anything about a burpee that will make you super strong, but it's a good cardio hiit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Oh no shit, which part?
View All Quotes

Oh no shit, which part?

Got a job in Effingham so somewhere in Carroll county. Let me know if you know of any rentals. We'll buy once we get the lay of the land.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
So I did a cheapass coupon blood test thing.......and this is the result I got.....I umm. I think I might need another test, lol.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
So I did a cheapass coupon blood test thing.......and this is the result I got.....I umm. I think I might need another test, lol.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418820/over_PNG-1438119.JPG
View Quote

You’re on a much lower dose than I am. My TRT dose is 250mg a week and it keeps me over 1k. Last test was 1,300. My blast is a hair higher...
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#14]

You’re on a much lower dose than I am. My TRT dose is 250mg a week and it keeps me over 1k. Last test was 1,300. My blast is a hair higher...
View Quote

Yeah I mean I don't feel like I'm taking that much. It's 175mg a week of test and 10mg a day of rad.  
I've never been so flatter yet concerned at the same time,lol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Seems a little high.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#17]
Wrist and knee wraps arrived today.

I like the wrist wraps. But, holy shit, I think I made a mistake with the knee wraps. They don’t do shit unless they’re so tight that it feels a self-torture device.

Maybe I’m just a pussy, but I think I’m going to try sleeves instead.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#18]
For old guys like us a pair of good sleeves is a godsend. The Stoic brand mentioned earlier in this thread is really good value. There's better stuff out there but the price goes up too. I personally like Grippy X-Sleeves for squats. Whatever you get, if they're primarily for squats get them tighter than you think you need. They should be a chore to get on and off. If you want them for general stuff too, then get looser.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
For old guys like us a pair of good sleeves is a godsend. The Stoic brand mentioned earlier in this thread is really good value. There's better stuff out there but the price goes up too. I personally like Grippy X-Sleeves for squats. Whatever you get, if they're primarily for squats get them tighter than you think you need. They should be a chore to get on and off. If you want them for general stuff too, then get looser.

View Quote

I'm not old, but I'm high mileage.

My right knee pops or cracks almost every time I squat. Front squat, back squat, high bar, low bar, doesn't matter

I think it's from an injury I got in high school, should I be using wraps as a safety measure?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Sleeves are what you seek, not wraps.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

My right knee pops or cracks almost every time I squat. Front squat, back squat, high bar, low bar, doesn't matter

I think it's from an injury I got in high school, should I be using wraps as a safety measure?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

I have an old knee injury, too. I haven’t had any issues with it in the couple years since I started lifting again because I’ve been doing low-bar squats, which shift the load off the knees a bit. My knees have gotten better and better over the years.

But, as my squats have gotten heavier, I’ve definitely noticed a bit of knee slide, so I thought some additional support would be a good idea. I figured wraps or sleeves might help with proprioception as well.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Sleeves are what you seek, not wraps.
View Quote

I see strongman competitors wearing sleeves on elbows and knees all the time, so there must be an advantage to them.

Any you would recommend trying out?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Far from an expert on this stuff but from the limited ones I've tried, for squats I like these. They're really stiff for sleeves and kinda suck for anything besides squats and deads. For general stuff I like the Stoic brand for good quality at a good price. I'm sure there are lots of other good ones but these are a couple I've used.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Put up 225#s for 11 on bench. I'm back!
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Great job!

My bench is still my weakest lift but at least I am now progressing on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Great job!

My bench is still my weakest lift but at least I am now progressing on it.
View Quote

Adding weight is all that matters. I'm just glad I'm mostly pain free.  

Band rehab really works.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Got a job in Effingham so somewhere in Carroll county. Let me know if you know of any rentals. We'll buy once we get the lay of the land.
View Quote

Cool. I'm south of you, pretty close to the Sig Academy so I don't know of anything up that way. There are a few arfcommers in that AO though, hopefully they chime in in your HTF thread.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I had to say something, my knee was killing me today.

We've been doing a lot of picture framed sidewalk the past two weeks, so I'm in pads and kneeling for a pretty big chunk of the day.

I'm going to check out the sleeves mentioned, and she what I can find.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Went to planet fatness.  Social fitnessing.

Running a mile sucked. Cardio game is trashed.

Back in keto.  

It really kills your strength the first week.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Cool. I'm south of you, pretty close to the Sig Academy so I don't know of anything up that way. There are a few arfcommers in that AO though, hopefully they chime in in your HTF thread.
View All Quotes

Looking at a place on Saturday
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

You won't be that far from the outlets at North Conway
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#33]
You need a prescription for broncaid here.  I guess you can make meth out of it.  Not like I couldn't go to some shithole bar and buy some of that.
View Quote

It’s OTC here. Like literally over the pharmacy counter as you have to ask for it and they scan your license. Bronkaid must be easy to turn into meth because it’s not sold everywhere. I had one pharmacist look aghast “that’s not made anymore” when I asked about it. I’m like, “I just bought some last week”. I don’t think that helped his impression of me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Wrist wraps- if my wrists get sore during snatches I will occasionally use them, but not often.

Knee wraps- when going like 95%+ I might use wraps. I haven't done a legit 95%+ in a long time though. For every day type lifting most people don't need them.
Knee SLEEVES- yeah, I use all the time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grady:
Wrist wraps and knee wraps... do you guys use them?

I just ordered a pair of each.

Bro gear or useful equipment?

Wrist wraps- if my wrists get sore during snatches I will occasionally use them, but not often.

Knee wraps- when going like 95%+ I might use wraps. I haven't done a legit 95%+ in a long time though. For every day type lifting most people don't need them.
Knee SLEEVES- yeah, I use all the time.

I got some elbow tendinitis the first time I pushed my press to 225. Started wearing elbow sleeves and haven’t had a problem since.

Though not working out regularly has also cured any aches and pains. Except for my back. It only feels good when deadlifting on the regular.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

It’s OTC here. Like literally over the pharmacy counter as you have to ask for it and they scan your license. Bronkaid must be easy to turn into meth because it’s not sold everywhere. I had one pharmacist look aghast “that’s not made anymore” when I asked about it. I’m like, “I just bought some last week”. I don’t think that helped his impression of me.
View Quote

Yeah, that law is dumb. We can't get sudafed here OTC either.

I have a prescription and they do this dumb shit. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
You need a prescription for broncaid here.  I guess you can make meth out of it.  Not like I couldn't go to some shithole bar and buy some of that.

Same here. Behind the counter. They scan your DL to buy. You just have to know the right people to get it. Like the pharmacist.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Been a while since I’ve posted here. I’m about 18 months in to lifting, starting with StrongLifts, moving to 531 and now basically doing a pyramid.

My weight keep going up except my deadlift seem to be stalled for a while.

Bench is up to 285x1 squat at 345x1 but my deadlift is and has been at 345x1. I can’t seem to get past that weight.

Anyway what do you guys do accessory wise to help with your dead’s?

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#38]
Originally Posted By Bmftoolco:
Been a while since I’ve posted here. I’m about 18 months in to lifting, starting with StrongLifts, moving to 531 and now basically doing a pyramid.

Bench is up to 285x1 squat at 345x1 but my deadlift is and has been at 345x1. I can’t seem to get past that weight.

View Quote

I do deadlifts for volume on my squat day, 5x5 at about 70% of my top end for the cycle. No other accessories regularly. Works for me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#39]

View Quote

Deadlift weight seems low in comparison.  Need video to see what you are doing wrong.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By grady:

I do deadlifts for volume on my squat day, 5x5 at about 70% of much top end for the cycle. No other accessories regularly. Works for me.
View Quote

Never really thought about doing dead’s and squats the same day?  Sounds miserable. Lol. Guess I’m going to have to mix it up and try that. Maybe I’m not getting enough volume above my 70%?

Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Deadlift weight seems low in comparison.  Need video to see what you are doing wrong.

View Quote

That’s what I’ve been thinking. I could never figure out how to post video. My lifting buddy’s say my form is good but something is off. I will try and get a vid next deadlift day and try to post it up.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#42]

That’s what I’ve been thinking. I could never figure out how to post video. My lifting buddy’s say my form is good but something is off. I will try and get a vid next deadlift day and try to post it up.

Thanks
View Quote

Just get YouTube account and post link.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Never really thought about doing dead's and squats the same day?  Sounds miserable. Lol. Guess I'm going to have to mix it up and try that. Maybe I'm not getting enough volume above my 70%?

Thanks for the advice
View Quote

I do the less boring method too.  Give it a try.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Thanks
View All Quotes

Thanks

It’s is likely one, or more, of the following:
1) You aren’t hitting depth on squat.
2) You aren’t deadlifting with proper form.
3) You are weird.

Probably #3 but you should post squat and dead vids.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Where are you failing with your deadlift?

off the ground?

midpoint?  (stalling)

or locking out?  

losing your grip?

(or something else not occurring to me right now)
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Alexander Bromley videos on YouTube are pretty good for some technique learning.  he has a deadlift one.

seems like a reasonable dude.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#47]
This china virus thing has been great for my lifting.  Did squats in my underwear while listening in on a meeting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
This china virus thing has been great for my lifting.  Did squats in my underwear while listening in on a meeting.
View Quote

Me too.  They canceled  hockey around here so I don't have to work around hockey games and the post-game drinking that was killing my lifts
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
View Quote

Living the american dream.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Where are you failing with your deadlift?

off the ground?

midpoint?  (stalling)

or locking out?  

losing your grip?

(or something else not occurring to me right now)
View Quote

Falling off the ground. I feel strong as hell when I get the bar to my knee.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top