Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2021 11:43:22 PM EDT
I was baptized, as an infant, in the Greek Orthodox church. That happened when my folks lived near grandma, who was Greek Orthodox. My parents soon left that state and began attending an Episcopalian church, probably because there was no Greek Orthodoxy close by.

There is no Greek Orthodoxy near me now, but there is an Episcopalian Church within walking distance.

I have a couple questions. Is it necessary to be baptized as an adult if you were already, as an infant?

If so, would it be bad form to travel 100 miles to be baptized at a Greek Orthodoxy while belonging to an Episcopalian church?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not the Catholic Church?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was baptized, as an infant, in the Greek Orthodox church. That happened when my folks lived near grandma, who was Greek Orthodox. My parents soon left that state and began attending an Episcopalian church, probably because there was no Greek Orthodoxy close by.

There is no Greek Orthodoxy near me now, but there is an Episcopalian Church within walking distance.

I have a couple questions. Is it necessary to be baptized as an adult if you were already, as an infant?

If so, would it be bad form to travel 100 miles to be baptized at a Greek Orthodoxy while belonging to an Episcopalian church?
View Quote

I have to echo what the other poster posted. I have noticed in many of your posts that your beliefs are VERY much aligned with the Catholic Church, which would make sense being that you were once a Greek Orthodox. In fact, as a Greek Orthodox you are probably in agreement with 95% of the RCC doctrine. Going to an Episcopalian Church would put you at, in my opinion, in roughly 20-40% alignment with your Greek Orthodoxy.

Just my two cents.

Heck, I thought you were a lapsed RC or a returning Cradle Catholic when reading your posts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Baptized is baptized. No need to do it twice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Now you've done it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is also correct.

I am almost 100% positive your baptism would be recognized by the RCC so long as water was poured, sprinkled, or you were submerged while being baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Some aspects of the Catholic Church are compelling to me, some are not. That said, I have a feeling all denominations have something I don't agree with, and some of those might not be scriptural, but social or societal in nature. I may have to do more research, and check out videos of services. Many churches now doing online services and recording/posting them.

Then there's the family tradition thing to consider, which is important to me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
If you think your soul could use a fresh rinse, go ahead and do it again.    Reaffirmation is one way to strengthen your beliefs.  But it's not a requirement.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is also correct.

I am almost 100% positive your baptism would be recognized by the RCC so long as water was poured, sprinkled, or you were submerged while being baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is also correct.

Pretty sure fully submerged was a thing in that Greek Orthodox Church. They were serious business. It might have been partially responsible for creating a solid swimmer.

Would that be considered child abuse today?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
"Luke 3:1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip was tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was tetrarch of Abilene, 2 in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. 3 And he came into all the district around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins; 4 as it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet,"

Note here God has an amazing sense of HUMOR.  We have a long list of very important people here followed by : "the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness"  
came to  WHO?      John     Who's John?  ummm  John, the son of Zacharias.   WHERE someplace important?    ummm  .... "in the wilderness"

For GOD its about relationship about repentance about making an outward sign of an inward change.  We are saved by Gods Grace through Faith, by believing that Jesus lived a perfect life, his blood  was shed on the cross to pay the price for the forgiveness of our sins and that Jesus rose from the dead defeating death itself so that Jesus is our advocate with God.  

The Episcopal Church does infant baptism sprinkling a baby and parents and Godparents openly agreeing to raise the child Christian, then does Confirmation about age 12 or 13 when someone is old enough to know what these things are supposed to mean.   If you choose to rededicate your life openly by being baptized as an adult that's fine, it's not required but God welcomes any outward confession of your Faith in Jesus and even if you chose to have some guy nobody knows who believes in Jesus do the baptism in the wilderness God welcomes that because it's between you and God  and those important people and important places don't matter at all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
You can no more be rebaptized than I can remarry my wife.

Having disagreement with every denomination, persuasion, tradition, whatever you want to call it means simply that you don’t understand or believe *something*.

What is it about the Catholic Church do you disagree with? Do you believe that overlaps in whole
or part with the Orthodox?

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can no more be rebaptized than I can remarry my wife.

Having disagreement with every denomination, persuasion, tradition, whatever you want to call it means simply that you don’t understand or believe *something*.

What is it about the Catholic Church do you disagree with? Do you believe that overlaps in whole
or part with the Orthodox?

View Quote

To be honest, I have a problem with The Vatican, and the Authority of The Pope.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

In general? Specifically?

Can you flesh that out a little?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL....
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get it.  I have experience with both Churches.  The trad Catholic parishes have a lot more in common with the GOC than the Episcopalian Church.  But you have to find a Latin Mass community or another Orthodox parish (OCA, Antiochian, etc).  In a lot of cases you may see little difference between the Episcopal Church and a "modern" Catholic parish.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Confiteor unum baptisma...

I confess one baptism... Straight from the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed.

As others pointed out, if you were validly baptized, which I have to think you were, then you cannot get "rebaptized" even if you tried.  It's an impossibility.  Baptism is a one time thing and it leaves an indelible mark on the soul.  If have reason to believe that your baptism was invalid, you could do a conditional one.  I imagine that if you called the church in which you were baptized to inquire about the validity of their baptism, you would probably invoke their ire.

You may enjoy this chapter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#16]
You cant be rebaptized.  To do so would mean that God messed up the first time.  I dont know your views but be aware that MOST Episcopal churches are far left. As in women priest.,pro homosexuality etc.  Some are basically Catholic lite, some are Reformed.  It's good that you want to go.  Church attendance is very important.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a Baptist, sooooo...
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
The small-town Lutheran church my family has gone to since 1964 went and got woke, lost all their congregation and no one will have anything to do with the current activist Pastor. Damn shame, it's a lovely little building out in the maples (in a place full of fir trees)-- but I pray every day for the salvation of this Nation--
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are there any OCA or Antiochian Orthodox parishes in your area? Or are you one of the “Being Greek is more important than Orthodox” folks? I’ve got a lot of experience with the latter in the Greek heavy Chicago area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Great information, questions, and advice from everyone participating. I thank all of you.

This is going to take some time to research.

As to why I asked about baptism, I had read if you're baptized as an infant it doesn't count. Didn't sound right so I came to ask the resident experts. My confirmation did follow several years after baptism.

More info and advice is always welcome.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Great information, questions, and advice from everyone participating. I thank all of you.

This is going to take some time to research.

As to why I asked about baptism, I had read if you're baptized as an infant it doesn't count. Didn't sound right so I came to ask the resident experts. My confirmation did follow several years after baptism.

More info and advice is always welcome.
View Quote

Where were you confirmed?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are there any OCA or Antiochian Orthodox parishes in your area? Or are you one of the “Being Greek is more important than Orthodox” folks? I’ve got a lot of experience with the latter in the Greek heavy Chicago area.
View Quote

Being Greek is not more important. I'll check to see if there are any of those churches around here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As to why I asked about baptism, I had read if you're baptized as an infant it doesn't count. Didn't sound right so I came to ask the resident experts.
View Quote

Most Protestant, Evangelical, and Fundamentalist sects do not believe in infant Baptism or Baptism without submersion. However, many do recognize an infant Baptism as valid.

As for you, I would recommend that you A) return to a Greek Orthodox or B) become a Roman Catholic. If you attempt to transition to a Protestant Church you will find the schism too great and you will have to jump through a lot of hoops to accept ideologies that will be absolutely foreign to you; Faith alone, Sola Scriptura, infant Baptism is bad, symbolic communion, Once Saved always Saved, and on and on. Indeed, depending on where you go you will also run into the non existence of the Trinity, Jesus was not divine while on Earth, etc.

Obviously, I think full communion with the RCC is best so a nice compromise would be to join...the Greek Catholic Church!!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most Protestant, Evangelical, and Fundamentalist sects do not believe in infant Baptism or Baptism without submersion. However, many do recognize an infant Baptism as valid.

As for you, I would recommend that you A) return to a Greek Orthodox or B) become a Roman Catholic. If you attempt to transition to a Protestant Church you will find the schism too great and you will have to jump through a lot of hoops to accept ideologies that will be absolutely foreign to you; Faith alone, Sola Scriptura, infant Baptism is bad, symbolic communion, Once Saved always Saved, and on and on. Indeed, depending on where you go you will also run into the non existence of the Trinity, Jesus was not divine while on Earth, etc.

Obviously, I think full communion with the RCC is best so a nice compromise would be to join...the Greek Catholic Church!!

Good luck!
View Quote

I disagree...Presbyterians, Methodist, Anglican, Episcopal and Lutheran all are Paedobaptist.  COC and Baptist are not.  While there may be a huge number of Baptist, I’d bet most Protestant denominations do baptize infants.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I recommend you pray and ask God for guidance and to be led where you need to be.  

We as men, giving our opinions and recommendations on here, even with good intentions, are prone to error.

God is always listening and may point you in the right direction or something else that will help you understand the answer to your questions.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Acts 8:34-39
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

I remember after I got saved I asked the same question and wondered if I should be baptised in water.
Not knowing any better at that time, but now it was the ones that practiced infant baptism that told me I was and did not have to.
I felt I should be and went to a church that water baptized after you were saved, which is correct,

Look at the Ethiopian Eunuch, After he got saved and put his faith in Jesus Christ, He "wanted" to be water baptised. vs 36
The Holy Spirit will change your heart and attitude to where you will say, "Lets do this"
If your being drawn to the water that is the Holy Spirit,
However if you cannot approach the water with a Lets do it attitude, something is wrong with your heart. In which case don't do it.
Biblical way is immersion, and afterwards you will be rejoicing like the eunuch did. vs 39

Edit: You don't need to go to a church, any Born again believer can do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Look at the Ethiopian Eunuch, After he got saved and put his faith in JesusIn which case don't do it.
Biblical way is immersion, and afterwards you will be rejoicing like the eunuch did. vs 39
View Quote

That's not quite correct:

ß?pt? bápto, bap'-to; a primary verb; to whelm, i.e. cover wholly with a fluid; in the New Testament only in a qualified or special sense, i.e. (literally) to moisten (a part of one's person), or (by implication) to stain (as with dye):—dip.

ßapt???, verb; 1) to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk) 2) to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one's self, bathe 3) to overwhelm

Greek Word: Easton’s Bible Dictionary

"The mode of baptism can in no way be determined from the Greek word rendered "baptize." Baptists say that it means "to dip," and nothing else. That is an incorrect view of the meaning of the word. It means both (1) to dip a thing into an element or liquid, and (2) to put an element or liquid over or on it. Nothing therefore as to the mode of baptism can be concluded from the mere word used. The word has a wide latitude of meaning, not only in the New Testament, but also in the LXX. Version of the Old Testament, where it is used of the ablutions and baptisms required by the Mosaic law. These were effected by immersion, by effusion, and sprinkling; and the same word, "washings" (Hebrews 9:10, 13, 19, 21) or "baptisms," designates them all. In the New Testament there cannot be found a single well-authenticated instance of the occurrence of the word where it necessarily means immersion. Moreover, none of the instances of baptism recorded in the Acts of the Apostles (2:38-41; 8:26-39; 9:17, 18; 22:12-16; 10:44-48; 16:32-34) favors the idea that it was by dipping the person baptized, or by immersion, while in some of them such a mode was highly improbable."

"The Didache, circa 1st century, is one of the best examples of early Church Tradition and the beliefs in baptism not via submersion alone.
The gospel and its ordinances are designed for the whole world, and it cannot be supposed that a form for the administration of baptism would have been prescribed which would in any place (as in a tropical country or in polar regions) or under any circumstances be inapplicable or injurious or impossible."

"Those who maintain that the Greek verb bapto means “to dip or immerse” are generally correct. (For example, the term is used in the Old Testament, as it is in classical Greek, for dipping hyssop or a finger in the blood used for sacrifice [e.g., Ex. 12:22; Lev. 4:6, 17; 9:9] or dipping one’s feet in the Jordan River [e.g., Josh. 3:15].) However, our word baptize translates the Greek word baptizo, not bapto. While bapto may mean “to dip or immerse,” baptizo does not refer to a mode, but to a process and an effect. While a baptism may include dipping or immersing, baptizo does not, in itself, mean “to immerse.”
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's not quite correct:

Greek Word: Easton’s Bible Dictionary

"The mode of baptism can in no way be determined from the Greek word rendered "baptize." Baptists say that it means "to dip," and nothing else. That is an incorrect view of the meaning of the word. It means both (1) to dip a thing into an element or liquid, and (2) to put an element or liquid over or on it. Nothing therefore as to the mode of baptism can be concluded from the mere word used. The word has a wide latitude of meaning, not only in the New Testament, but also in the LXX. Version of the Old Testament, where it is used of the ablutions and baptisms required by the Mosaic law. These were effected by immersion, by effusion, and sprinkling; and the same word, "washings" (Hebrews 9:10, 13, 19, 21) or "baptisms," designates them all. In the New Testament there cannot be found a single well-authenticated instance of the occurrence of the word where it necessarily means immersion. Moreover, none of the instances of baptism recorded in the Acts of the Apostles (2:38-41; 8:26-39; 9:17, 18; 22:12-16; 10:44-48; 16:32-34) favors the idea that it was by dipping the person baptized, or by immersion, while in some of them such a mode was highly improbable."

"The Didache, circa 1st century, is one of the best examples of early Church Tradition and the beliefs in baptism not via submersion alone.
The gospel and its ordinances are designed for the whole world, and it cannot be supposed that a form for the administration of baptism would have been prescribed which would in any place (as in a tropical country or in polar regions) or under any circumstances be inapplicable or injurious or impossible."
View Quote

Not correct, God's Word is wrong again?

As always you come around with all your laws and rules that no one can understand and everyone is wrong but you. In another thread You don't even know if your pope is real.

The word baptize means immerse, One thing I learned about the infant baptizers is they don't want to get baptised whether its immersion or sprinkle water on them.
Only saved people want to be baptized, just like the Eunuch in Acts 8, there are other Scriptures also that water baptism follows salvation. Unless baptised by John before Jesus.
But John told them to follow Jesus and not himself. Which means they were adults.

Matt 3:16
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Jesus came up out of the water, He was immersed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As always you come around with all your laws and rules that no one can understand and everyone is wrong but you. In another thread You don't even know if your pope is real.

The word baptize means immerse, One thing I learned about the infant baptizers is they don't want to get baptised whether its immersion or sprinkle water on them.
Only saved people want to be baptized, just like the Eunuch in Acts 8, there are other Scriptures also that water baptism follows salvation. Unless baptised by John before Jesus.
But John told them to follow Jesus and not himself. Which means they were adults.

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
View Quote

1) "Not correct, God's Word is wrong again?" Nope. Just you.

2) "One thing I learned about the infant baptizers is they don't want to get baptised whether its immersion or sprinkle water on them. Only saved people want to be baptized." You can't be saved unless you are first Baptized. Ex: Mark 16:16  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned and Acts 2:38 "Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Can't be saved without the Holy Spirit.

3) "But John told them to follow Jesus and not himself. Which means they were adults."Acts 16:15 KJV "And when she was baptized, and her household..." and Acts 16:33 KJV "And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway."
These verses indicate that the entire household was baptized... would you think there were no babies in that household?"

This is Bible 101; Cherry-picking will never yield a true understanding of the Word.

ETA: Now, let's get back to the topic. I think this is an excellent example of some of the issues the OP may face if he leaves the Greek Orthodox for anything other than the Greek Catholic or RCC. Take this into consideration OP.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

He was quoting from a Protestant Bible Dictionary.

Take it up with the Scottish Presbyterians. Lol.

Easton’s Bible Dictionary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easton's_Bible_Dictionary

Easton himself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_George_Easton

The Didache is an roughly first century catechetical text. You can read it here: http://www.thedidache.com/

Chapter VII is of particular note, though this is largely disciplinary rather than purely doctrinal:

1. Concerning baptism, baptise thus: Having first rehearsed all these things, "baptise, in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost," in running water;
2. But if thou hast no running water, baptise in other water, and if thou canst not in cold, then in warm.
3. But if thou hast neither, pour water three times on the head "in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost."
4. And before the baptism let the baptiser and him who is to be baptised fast, and any others who are able. And thou shalt bid him who is to be baptised to fast one or two days before.
View Quote

ibid.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

1) "Not correct, God's Word is wrong again?" Nope. Just you.

2) "One thing I learned about the infant baptizers is they don't want to get baptised whether its immersion or sprinkle water on them. Only saved people want to be baptized." You can't be saved unless you are first Baptized. Ex: Mark 16:16  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned and Acts 2:38 "Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Can't be saved without the Holy Spirit.

3) "But John told them to follow Jesus and not himself. Which means they were adults."Acts 16:15 KJV "And when she was baptized, and her household..." and Acts 16:33 KJV "And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway."
These verses indicate that the entire household was baptized... would you think there were no babies in that household?"

This is Bible 101; Cherry-picking will never yield a true understanding of the Word.
View Quote

Are there infants in every household?
The Holy Spirit would bring you to the water just like the people in the cherry picked Scriptures you posted.

The Holy Spirit will bring you to the water, But since you live by rules and laws, and not guided by the Holy Spirit, you will never understand that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Holy Spirit would bring you to the water just like the people in the cherry picked Scriptures you posted.

The Holy Spirit will bring you to the water, But since you live by rules and laws, and not guided by the Holy Spirit, you will never understand that.
View Quote

I would invite you to show where there were no rules and no law in the NT Church as shown in scripture, particularly from Acts forward.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Baptism is a symbol of burial and resurrection. It's a decision you make to identify with Christ's death and resurrection. It's a physical representation of a conscious choice to lay down your life and live completely devoted to Christ and the life he gives. It has nothing to do with being "recognized" by any religious institution and the decision can't be made by anyone but you and the one who has called you. Namely, Christ.

If you remember making that decision and commitment as an infant then that should be "good enough" to get you into heaven if that's what you were going for.

eta: or if you are interested in being "recognized" by someone besides God, you are good to go. Sounds like some people here "recognize" you, so that should be enough for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, if even one infant was baptized, which is a certainty, would that mean the Holy Spirit erred? Please show me where Scripture says, "Do not Baptize infants, only adults".

If you cannot do so, which you can't, then why should I believe you over the writings of the first Christians who did baptize their children as well? Many of those who lived at or just after the time of the Apostles. Did the Apostles mislead them?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would invite you to show where there were no rules and no law in the NT Church as shown in scripture, particularly from Acts forward.

View Quote

If you live by the guidance of the Holy Spirit, you will follow or fullfill the law. And walk in the way Jesus walked, And you will go to the water and be baptised. Just like Jesus did.
You will not have to be forced, dragged kicking and screaming or do this because you have to (Law). Living by the Holy Spirit you will say lets do it.

You asked a big question and I am not taking this thread in another direction.
I made a post to answer the OP on whether he should be water baptised,
I'll let the OP decide for himself if what I said was true.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think he is trying to get this thread locked just as he did with the "Was Mary without sin" thread. Typical M.O.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you live by the guidance of the Holy Spirit, you will follow or fullfill the law. And walk in the way Jesus walked, And you will go to the water and be baptised. Just like Jesus did.
You will not have to be forced, dragged kicking and screaming or do this because you have to (Law). Living by the Holy Spirit you will say lets do it.

You asked a big question and I am not taking this thread in another direction.
I made a post to answer the OP on whether he should be water baptised,
I'll let the OP decide for himself if what I said was true.
View Quote

You’re free to start a thread demonstrating your conclusions and how you arrived at them.

But, in order to stay on topic, it should be easily shown that there weren’t laws or rules in the early church regarding baptism if you’re correct.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#38]
The early Church had many adults baptized because there was no Christianity when they were infants.  Of course people converted and were baptized.  They didn’t have Christian parents who had them baptized as infants...as Christianity grew, there were Christian parents who did.  And no Paedobaptist is against adult baptism either.  You Should be baptized.  If you come to faith as an adult and haven’t been, you should at that point.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some aspects of the Catholic Church are compelling to me, some are not. That said, I have a feeling all denominations have something I don't agree with, and some of those might not be scriptural, but social or societal in nature. I may have to do more research, and check out videos of services. Many churches now doing online services and recording/posting them.

Then there's the family tradition thing to consider, which is important to me.
View Quote

Just some advice....

If your going to claim to be Christian,  then do not pick a church based on what you believe.   Pick one based on what God says is true.  You know the truth because it is difficult to follow and requires you to endure the greatest sacrifice.

To those who look at churches and faith as McDonald's end up eating what is bad for you. "You are neither hot nor cold.  Thus I shall vomit you from My mouth. "

Live as a saint.  Sacrifice and a martyr.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The early Church had many adults baptized because there was no Christianity when they were infants.  Of course people converted and were baptized.  They didn’t have Christian parents who had them baptized as infants...as Christianity grew, there were Christian parents who did.  And no Paedobaptist is against adult baptism either.  You Should be baptized.  If you come to faith as an adult and haven’t been, you should at that point.
View Quote

@KD5TXX

So I've been looking into what you wrote, and I think you may be correct in that numerically MOST Christians do not think ill of infant Baptism! My problem is I have mostly lived in or near the Bible Belt.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just some advice....

If your going to claim to be Christian,  then do not pick a church based on what you believe.   Pick one based on what God says is true.  You know the truth because it is difficult to follow and requires you to endure the greatest sacrifice.

To those who look at churches and faith as McDonald's end up eating what is bad for you. "You are neither hot nor cold.  Thus I shall vomit you from My mouth. "

Live as a saint.  Sacrifice and a martyr.  

View Quote

That's what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's what I'm looking for.
View Quote

Then you need to pray with a sincere heart for Him, as the Good Shepherd, to lead you where that is and be prepared for not liking the answer.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Welcome home...
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Welcome home...
View Quote

This. I think he will end up in a Greek Catholic or RCC parish.

His ideas seem to be leaning more toward those as time progresses.

Either way, may God Bless you OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Being baptized comes after you have accepted Christ's sacrifice for yourself.
Baptism is supposed to be a public declaration of your faith, and a symbol of the old self dying and the new self in Christ being reborn.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Being baptized comes after you have accepted Christ's sacrifice for yourself.
Baptism is supposed to be a public declaration of your faith, and a symbol of the old self dying and the new self in Christ being reborn.
View Quote

This is Correct.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome home...

There is little to argue over if we all read God's word, and pray for understanding. We can argue over a detail here or there until we're called home, but almost everything we need to guide us in our walk are plain to see, and easy to understand.

The Pope thread has cleared things concerning what power the pope has, and doesn't have. There's one more concern I have, which I'm sure will soon be laid to rest.

St. Matthew's Catholic Church is a stone's throw away from my apartment.

Thank you, and God Bless you and everyone here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#48]
In case you hadn't found this webtool here is a handy way to find Orthodox parishes
https://orthodoxyinamerica.org/
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In case you hadn't found this webtool here is a handy way to find Orthodox parishes
https://orthodoxyinamerica.org/
View Quote

boom.

Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top