Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2023 7:40:08 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 28 year old Invicta with the Swiss Valjoux movement still works.  Lol.  

If you knew nothing about watches other than expensive mechanical watches exist… then put on wrist and were told it was a $6-8k watch….believable.  

Sentimental.  Considered my first real watch 28 years ago.

Realistically, Invicta introduced me to watches.  

I believe they were trying to be a real brand in the 1990s.  

I still wear these as well, also 28 years old.  

Attachment Attached File

Before TLDR crowd….My point is you can judge a brand in different ways.  Value, quality, pop culture, etc.  

Swatch in my teens and Invicta in my 20s brought me to the table.  

I’m happy they did.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I still rock the Invicta ProDiver Auto that was my first “nice” watch I ever bought. Little rough around the edges but it holds time true enough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 8926 I got in 2002 that still works.

Need to find it. Pretty sure it’s got a miyota in it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I still don't understand the thousands of dollar watch thing . I have family who have expensive watches and want to show them to the guys when we get together . Not impressed . If I was given a $6000 watch I would sell it and get some thing I can use . I've had a $20 timex for 20 years , it tells the same time . I understand luxury items but time is time . If I was a criminal(I know many from working DOC 20 years) seeing that on a wrist would bump you up to #1 target for assault and theft .
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Live down the street from the owner of Invicta and around the corner from their fairly new HQ. They recently bought a second yacht LOL.

The family has actually been good to the local community and has supported a couple great initiatives.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still rock the Invicta ProDiver Auto that was my first "nice" watch I ever bought. Little rough around the edges but it holds time true enough.
View Quote
Haven't worn it since 2010 but I got my $99 worth out of it X5. It went through a few scuffles and survived. I've got better watches but definitely not a hater.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather wear an Invicta than a clone or a fake
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Quoted:

So how is this Invicta above not a clone?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn't say 'Rolex' on it. Big difference between a clone and a homage. A homage is typically referred to as a watch that isn't trying to pass itself off as the real deal but is heavily inspired by the design of an existing watch. For example, Steeldive and Steinhart are homage watch companies. Aliexpress, Replica Valley, and the chicom sh*t watches are trying to directly clone a watch to look exactly like the real deal.

I would morally have trouble paying for or owning a clone. I support and encourage flogging of anyone wearing a clone
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It doesn't say 'Rolex' on it. Big difference between a clone and a homage. A homage is typically referred to as a watch that isn't trying to pass itself off as the real deal but is heavily inspired by the design of an existing watch. For example, Steeldive and Steinhart are homage watch companies. Aliexpress, Replica Valley, and the chicom sh*t watches are trying to directly clone a watch to look exactly like the real deal.

I would morally have trouble paying for or owning a clone. I support and encourage flogging of anyone wearing a clone
View Quote

Gotcha, you said clone or fake like they were different. So I got confused. I would say if it has the name Rolex on it, and it ain’t a Rolex then it’s fake no matter if it is a clone or not. I am rocking my Steeldive right now but that Invicta above looks really good! One day a real one will take its place but till then a homage will have to do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a ProDiver that I wore for years as my daily beater. It took a beating and kept on ticking. Great watch. About a year ago I gave it to one of my best friends sons. He loves it and appreciates it much more than I.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#12]
They definitely are a gateway drug for a lot of watch people particularly those who don't know about the "AliExpress watches".  They aren't all horribly garish designs either. Their 1953 pro diver was pretty cool when it first came out for example.  

https://theslenderwrist.com/invicta-1953-pro-diver-review/
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a ProDiver that I wore for years as my daily beater. It took a beating and kept on ticking. Great watch. About a year ago I gave it to one of my best friends sons. He loves it and appreciates it much more than I.
View Quote

You just cloned (poorly) the Timex slogan. Shame on you!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still don't understand the thousands of dollar watch thing . I have family who have expensive watches and want to show them to the guys when we get together . Not impressed . If I was given a $6000 watch I would sell it and get some thing I can use . I've had a $20 timex for 20 years , it tells the same time . I understand luxury items but time is time . If I was a criminal(I know many from working DOC 20 years) seeing that on a wrist would bump you up to #1 target for assault and theft .
View Quote

Then you would likely have more interest in another sub forum than here.

Humans have a varying degree of interest in things that make no sense.
One may be constantly getting new cars with the absolute latest tech.  And paying a premium to do so.
Others enjoy vintage cars.
Some are fine with a $500 AR and 4 MOA ammo and a 4 MOA dot-
Others go insane trying to build a 1/4 MOA gun with even more expensive optics and a very time consuming perfect load regimen for each batch of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/325229/B43A5380-C532-48BA-9FE2-7F4864128074_jpe-2803746.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/325229/2EB74FF9-9C0D-48C1-9D1B-BD0AA201F1E0_jpe-2803747.JPG

The 28 year old Invicta with the Swiss Valjoux movement still works.  Lol.  

If you knew nothing about watches other than expensive mechanical watches exist… then put on wrist and were told it was a $6-8k watch….believable.  

Sentimental.  Considered my first real watch 28 years ago.

Realistically, Invicta introduced me to watches.  

I believe they were trying to be a real brand in the 1990s.  

I still wear these as well, also 28 years old.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/325229/E32366A0-1043-4310-A23D-A684053B1F85_jpe-2803757.JPG

Before TLDR crowd….My point is you can judge a brand in different ways.  Value, quality, pop culture, etc.  

Swatch in my teens and Invicta in my 20s brought me to the table.  

I’m happy they did.
View Quote

Their goal is to sell a lot of watches.  And they do.  And they have been a gateway drug for many.  Like some other companies, they have a wide range of models and quality.

Keep in mind they were a real Swiss watch company.  Founded around 190 years ago.  Search and look at some of their 1960s Chronographs and World Times.  They were bankrupt by the 80s, bought by another watch company that went bankrupt- I can’t understate the impact of quartz watches and less expensive but quality Asian labor on the industry.
It’s like -say- in 1970 a Japanese company started making cars with a little Mr. Fusion under the hood would have had on the auto industry.  Now, sure, Japanese and now Korean makers have taken a huge chunk of what was once American market share.
In 1970, GM would have had about 40%, Ford 30%, Chrysler 15%, and off the top of my head I’m not sure what AMC was, plus that’s the year they bought Jeep.  Now, those numbers are about 15% each, and Chrysler remaining at 15% is not from dodge/ram and the defunct Plymouth sales.  A solid chunk of that 15% is from Jeep.  So….
If instead of happening over several decades- imagine if those numbers had undergone those changes in a dozen years and the impact on the US economy.

So in 1991 the essentially defunct Invicta was bought and the roots of what we now know of and think of as Invicta began.

Another One of the many companies that were still floundering after the quartz crisis was Glycine.  That’s been around since the early 1900s and did some legit development with waterproofing, automatic movements, date complications, and a serious mil history.  Like ordered to make watches for the Germans plus models in US PX/BX sales since the 50s.  In the late 60s/early 70s their Combat series was a not uncommon choice in VN. They made the watches for the Concorde SST pilots plus had been in space with a Gemini astronaut.  They tried like hell to remain independent, but the 80s and 90s were rough- they had great effort - but things were going rough, they kept hanging in there-  they went full in on the recent Swiss Renaissance- but expenses to profits- despite some good products and a fantastic history of models and an A+ for effort- but we’re probably going to crash and burn.  Along comes Invicta at this time around a decade 8 years ago or so.  Who can sell the shit out of some watches.  Think of them as like the PSA of watches.  They are going to put as many watches on wrists and in watch boxes as is humanly possible.  So, in a deal that kind of leaves Glycine independent to make its own watches- and keep its niche- Invicta takes over marketing and sales.  And they seem to be a lot more common now than they were before.  Yes- they are essentially the entry level Swiss automatics- but that’s OK.

I know in the watch community there is a lot of disdain for Invicta, Swatch, etc.  But they have done good work and a lot, an awful lot, of people have jobs because of them.  And they kept some some companies alive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I run a Glycine now owned by Invicta and it has been a great piece!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Absolute garbage

Had a chunk of the crystal break out on the inside  & fall onto the hands a week after buying it.  

Uh you must've damaged it somehiw..... not a scratch on face
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

If someone gave you a $6,000 watch, they must have had a damn good reason.  For you to turn around and sell it and get a $20 watch would be an insult to a generous person that thinks highly of you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Absolute garbage

Had a chunk of the crystal break out on the inside  & fall onto the hands a week after buying it.  

Uh you must've damaged it somehiw..... not a scratch on face
View Quote

The range on the quality of the various Invicta models and lines is huge.
Now, to be honest, in 2023 you can get an Invicta auto diver on bracelet for like 87$ delivered.  Literally. Any day.
Maybe as low as 70 on a sale.  And the quartz versions for half that.  

QC at that price point- you’re just not going to get it on an automatic or analog quartz diver watch.
Realistically, you have to half again that price to get a little better QC and manufacturing standards.
This is going to put you at a more expensive Invicta model. Some other Chinese clones like steeldive, the entry Orient divers, etc.

Even at the 200$ citizen and 300 Seiko entry level divers, QC is not perfect.  Quality is a little more refined and consistent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The range on the quality of the various Invicta models and lines is huge.
Now, to be honest, in 2023 you can get an Invicta auto diver on bracelet for like 87$ delivered.  Literally. Any day.
Maybe as low as 70 on a sale.  And the quartz versions for half that.  

QC at that price point- you’re just not going to get it on an automatic or analog quartz diver watch.
Realistically, you have to half again that price to get a little better QC and manufacturing standards.
This is going to put you at a more expensive Invicta model. Some other Chinese clones like steeldive, the entry Orient divers, etc.

Even at the 200$ citizen and 300 Seiko entry level divers, QC is not perfect.  Quality is a little more refined and consistent.
View Quote

I would expect a $12 walmart watch to be returnable if it fell apart in a week. For $200 I expected a tad more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would expect a $12 walmart watch to be returnable if it fell apart in a week. For $200 I expected a tad more.
View Quote

It depends on how/where you buy it.

Even with some watches that cost ten times that, you can range from full on manufacturers warranty, no manufactures but a business/shops warranty, to none.

Post some details, pics, etc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Careful now! It a homage!
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny. I just bought the Invicta Pro Diver sub look-alike today. My citizen went tits up and was tired of wearing my G Shock at events that I shouldn't.

From the reviews that I read, the auto movement is made by Seiko and is decent. It will hold me over until I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Omega that I want.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Funny. I just bought the Invicta Pro Diver sub look-alike today. My citizen went tits up and was tired of wearing my G Shock at events that I shouldn't.

From the reviews that I read, the auto movement is made by Seiko and is decent. It will hold me over until I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Omega that I want.
View Quote

They make a good beater.  My brother bought my son one and its been decent.  The lume is poor and I'd buy something different for myself but its been great for my son for the past couple years.  They definitely have their place and they used to be popular for modding before AliExpress watches like Steeldive and Addiesdive etc. came around.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 4:04:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry guys, when I hear Invicta this is what I think of

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top