BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Yikes.  That's pretty bad. While you guys definitely deserve a little ribbing over minor snow storm freak outs, ice is no joke.  That would be serious for us too. We get ice storms up here just like you do there. Like another poster said, driving is basically a no go.  Our tree species are probably better adapted to it and our power lines are almost all buried.

You can take some preventative measures with saving those trees. Get out there with a 2x4 and start knocking off what you safely can. We had one bad early ice storm about a decade ago when the trees still had leaves, and I spend most of a day knocking off ice and moving to the next tree, rinse and repeat.  I lost a few taller branches I couldn't reach while neighbors lost entire trees.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Old man is surveying damage in Monticello AR , for a electric utility company currently. From what he said it doesn't look good...
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Sorry to see that, man.

Last bad ice storm took me two full 12+ hour days to drag and stack all the broken Live Oak limbs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Talk to me when you wake up with one 150 foot pine sitting parallel to your home (less than eight feet away from your child's bedroom), in your back yard, and another blocking your garage (25 feet away), and neither one made a sound because the wind was blowing 70 mph and there were feet of snow on the ground.

It's a bitch because you have to go from the mental mind fuck of realizing your family came within a breath of ceasing to exist to having to grab the saws and gear to clear the mess because you have to get work.

Boo fucking hoo tree limbs. Guess what, the trees will grow more limbs.

ETA: My post is directed at OPs complaints, not those who have incurred damage or loss from your weather event.
View Quote
Talk to me when you have 151 foot tree fall parallel to your house!

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Never heard that, the only thing I recall is hearing it rain one night but the ground was dry in the morning.
It was Gypsy Moths eating all the leaves on a huge tree outside my bedroom, the "rain" was their shit as it fell through the leaves.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For those of you in or around the DFW metro, how are the roads?

I look at the traffic apps, but I cant tell if everyone is staying off the roads or if they are ok.
View Quote
My son drove through the metroplex on his way home from near Midland yesterday. He's not a good driver and has never driven on snow/ice. He said it got a little crazy in a few spots and he saw ~100 cars/trucks that had run off the road. I tried to talk him out of it but he felt like he had to get home. I wouldn't advise driving through this unless you have to. FWIW; he used 4WD and said it was more stable.

My brother lives in Dripping Springs and had been dealing with same issue as OP. Stay safe out there
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Talk to me when you wake up with one 150 foot pine sitting parallel to your home (less than eight feet away from your child's bedroom), in your back yard, and another blocking your garage (25 feet away), and neither one made a sound because the wind was blowing 70 mph and there were feet of snow on the ground.

It's a bitch because you have to go from the mental mind fuck of realizing your family came within a breath of ceasing to exist to having to grab the saws and gear to clear the mess because you have to get work.

Boo fucking hoo tree limbs. Guess what, the trees will grow more limbs.

ETA: My post is directed at OPs complaints, not those who have incurred damage or loss from your weather event.
View Quote
That is the reason I took them all down within a tree's height of the house.

I'm surrounded by 100 foot tall, 3 foot thick pine trees.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Warming up. Ice coming out of the trees thankfully.

Got the saw tuned up. About time to start pulling widowmakers out of the trees and get to cutting.

Attachment Attached File

It’s like this everywhere
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Got the saw tuned up. About time to start pulling widowmakers out of the trees and get to cutting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/4A6BEFEF-C0C4-44A5-8BD1-C24185D63E05_jpe-2695008.JPG

View Quote

Be careful, hope you have some help with that mess.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Old man is surveying damage in Monticello AR , for a electric utility company currently. From what he said it doesn't look good...
View Quote
Most of the Arkansas damage is south so far.

I've got friends in Arkadelphia, Fordyce, and Redfield and all have said it looks bad down that way.

I'm farther north in the Ouachitas, and we mostly got spared so far.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/4A6BEFEF-C0C4-44A5-8BD1-C24185D63E05_jpe-2695008.JPG

View Quote

Good luck, I'm going to wait till things dry out a bit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel for you guys. We got lucky this time, mostly just sleet,the freezing rain stayed south of us. We have been through a couple of storms like you are going through now, lots of damage and no power. Water plant went down last time so no water either. That last storm is one of the reasons I now have two generators big enough to run the house, and plenty of food and water on hand. Be careful and check on your neighbors. You will probably have broken limbs hung up in the trees and falling out for months.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Prayers for y'all!! Been following it. It looks bad, but as long as everyone's safe, all else will be okay.

Yet another reason to always be prepared!

ETA: Also, be safe and take an extra minute to figure things out once everyone gets to the cleanup!! Woodwork is dangerous work. Take your time to think about what you're going to do and how you're going to do it. Okay, Safety Moment over
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have elderly neighbors or people with little experience with ice, consider putting sand/dirt on their steps, walkways, porch etc to minimize the risk of slipping which could be deadly.  Obviously ask first.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you have elderly neighbors or people with little experience with ice, consider putting sand/dirt on their steps, walkways, porch etc to minimize the risk of slipping which could be deadly.  Obviously ask first.
View Quote

I bought each of my elderly neighbors a set of the slip on ice spikes/studs I posted. They're old enough to injure themselves from a slip and fall, just checking the mailbox (and we get icy/slick conditions often enough, to warrant having them in Winter). They love them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Having been through the Ice Storm of '98, wish you all the best of luck and to be safe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good luck, I'm going to wait till things dry out a bit.
View Quote

Same here.  I do have some branches that broke and hung up on the way down, but I’d rather just avoid them for the time being and wait until the 60 degree weather and sunshine on Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same here.  I do have some branches that broke and hung up on the way down, but I’d rather just avoid them for the time being and wait until the 60 degree weather and sunshine on Saturday.
View Quote

I’m headed down to Goliad to gather all my brush clearing equipment tomorrow.  Whole area around me needs work.  Toying with the idea of bringing my tractor and brush chipper back with me so we don’t have it laying around for a month waiting on city services to pick it up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Had one fall square on my fence the other day. I was outside getting some pictures of the snow and heard it snapping. Looked over at it and it was like a slow motion thing. I was standing there thinking "land in front of the fence...in front of the fence...or behind it...not on the fence...not on the...fuck...."

Shit sucks, yo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#21]
County I live in in GA collected the limbs twice with the FEMA money after our last ice storm. You could pile them 6' high and not over a certain length. I lined the two ditches full length 6' high down my corner lot that's two acres. Originally, they were only going to pick up once but it was so bad they made a second run. Second run I only had one roadside and part of the other road piled with the 6'may have been limited to 4' high limb piles.
Ice storms suck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Lost limbs on all my live oaks; but nothing as bad as NwG.  Drove through the neighborhood and I got off pretty easy.  Some of those trees look like they were exploded from the inside out.

The market for live oak wood is about to see some serious oversupply.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Rolled my ankle this morning clearing branches and had to spend the rest of the day moving debris with a sprained ankle. My ankle doesn't like me and I'm exhausted. I had a lot of branches.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top