Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/1/2023 5:22:29 PM EDT
Is deafening and depressing. Pretty helpless feeling too..

Probably lost over a hundred large live oak tree limbs so far. Sounds like gunshots outside every 30 seconds or so in all directions.

Fuck ice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Woke me up @330 this morning and I couldn't go back to sleep. Thankfully missed anything important.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Probably lost over a hundred large live oak tree limbs so far. Sounds like gunshots outside every 30 seconds or so in all directions.

Fuck ice.
View Quote

That sucks, but on the bright side you are going to have a bunch of quality firewood.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
up and down every street...every single tree is broken. especially the big ones.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had to keep dragging off branches.  One just broke seconds ago.  Still more freezing rain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Firewood now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Firewood now.
View Quote

I’d rather buy firewood and keep my giant oaks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Same around here. Some trees are getting pulled out of the gound.  Rain with ice on the trees and the ground not freezing. I'm glad we had the trees trimmed a couple of years ago,  not too many issues with ours. Neighbors are loosing shit left and right. Sounds like the attack of the titans.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd rather buy firewood and keep my giant oaks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Firewood now.

I'd rather buy firewood and keep my giant oaks.
It's the circle of life, brother.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow...even the trees are pussies in Texas.

I kid...mostly
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I just let my dog out and walked around the property, it's sad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Always thought Texas was south enough to stave off winter. Seems more like our winter.
How much ice you all get?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Here in San Antonio we've been getting freezing rain since yesterday.  Still going on now.  Won't get above freezing until tomorrow .
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, my live oaks look pretty sad but they are hanging in there so far.  I feel bad for the people who live along the main road.  People were just driving right through the sagging, frozen tree limbs hanging down into the street.  It looks like a bomb went off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgot to salt your trees?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn man, where's the pics?

I didn't realize TX was getting hit so hard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I live on a standard urban-sized lot in north Austin.  I've lost about a dozen limbs so far, and I expect to lose more.  It really is a helpless feeling.  Fortunately none of the broken limbs have hit my house.  Some neighbors haven't been as lucky.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Get some aerial salt delivery?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]
It's not the ice; your cat is at war with the squirrels and the tree limbs are just collateral damage.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Thankfully it didn't get bad here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Prayers out for y'all.  So far we have been pretty lucky but we're expecting another round of freezing rain through tonight.  Got the genny on standby.  Work is going nuts with us being off.  They're wanting us to go in tomorrow AM to do busy work.  LOL.  I'll go if I can make it I guess.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn man, where's the pics?

I didn't realize TX was getting hit so hard.
View Quote

Hard to get good pics, not really safe to walk under any tree right now.

1/2”-1” of ice depending on where you look.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Ice storms are the worst. When it happens around here the pines snap and the air smells like pine sap. The hardwoods are least affected since the leaves are off when that happens but the pines get hit hard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought this was going to be a King Kong thread where he comes to get the hot blonde and trashes all of the trees.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
About 10 years ago in our first ice storm in Texas I saw something the size of a small car fall from one of our trees. It crushed our patio furniture, broke a window, and poked a nice hole in our roof.  It could have been worse.

and yep, very helpless noise.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if you could burn some small fires under the canopies of trees that you wanted to protect.  You don't need much heat, just enough to keep the ice from forming.  But with open tops and air flow, it might wind up taking a lot of heat to do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

View from my hotel room.  I tapped out 100 miles south of Dallas.  

My truck is probably several thousand pounds overweight due to ice buildup.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
So far my immediate area has escaped 2 days worth of heavy ice.  Still have to make it through tonight to be in the clear.  Ice storms are the worst and my yard is nothing but large trees including several right next to my house!
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#29]

That is when it can be unsafe to walk on some surfaces, like asphalt and concrete.

Please stay on grass...and even that may be hazardous and for all impacted...DO NOT DRIVE.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep. My front yard is taking a beating.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Yankees may laugh about it, but Southern Ice is no joke.

Back in the early '80s, an ice storm damn near totaled our petroleum coke plant in Port Arthur.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#32]
That sucks for you guys. Hope things get better soon.

I live somewhat near the mouth of the Columbia river gorge and we get ice storms with wind more often than your average location and I feel your pain. It really is the worse kind of winter storm.

Anything weak will break under all the weight. Roads are almost worthless. Above ground power lines are unreliable. Shit isn't fun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Ice storms are terrible. Good luck to all affected.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That is when it can be unsafe to walk on some surfaces, like asphalt and concrete.

Please stay on grass...and even that may be hazardous and for all impacted...DO NOT DRIVE.
View Quote

that's the thing though....it's barely freezing. it's been hovering around 31/32 all day, and yesterday.
the freeze we had a couple years ago was in the teens and twenties for a week...shit broke.
the ground isn't frozen and it's been misting for the past 24 hours and won't stop till prolly sometime in the morning.
the roads are wet, but there's no ice on them...maybe overnight, and definitely on the overpasses and bridges.
the trees are fucking up power lines though - we lost power about 3:30 this morning from trees falling on lines - they got it back on about an hour ago.
biggest danger driving right now isn't ice, it's falling tree limbs, and fallen trees in the road.
shit's crazy, i've never seen it quite like this - that pic above of the ice built up on the little branch is perfect - every single tree is like that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fuck ice.
View Quote

God's engineering is perfect.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I know the sound well

First the snap of the limb breaking

Then the rush of ice falling thru the limbs below

And the the Thud when it hits the ground

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yankees may laugh about it, but Southern Ice is no joke.
View Quote

They have the same shit in Ohio. Worked for a municipality at the time. So I/we were picking up and running branches through a chipper for two months. Wasn't pleasant.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Do your deciduous trees not lose their leaves in the winter?  That is what is causing the limb failures.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#39]
None of my liveoaks damaged here yet, Waco.  Some Bradford Pears split so no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do your deciduous trees not lose their leaves in the winter?  That is what is causing the limb failures.
View Quote

Live oaks don't drop their leaves until right before the spring blossom.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#41]
That has to suck to hear those sounds from your Live Oaks OP.  Must be eerie.

We have Post Oaks here in Van Zandt, so no big loss.  My wife’s few pines (she loves pine) are looking like Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#42]
What part of Texas is getting hit the worst?  The trees aren't snapping yet in Parker County.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Live oaks don't.  Hence the name.  They lose leaves and bud new ones at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What part of Texas is getting hit the worst?  The trees aren't snapping yet in Parker County.
View Quote

Austin, especially toward the Hill Country, has been hit pretty good. I hear it is worse further North from friends.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boerne, Spring Branch, Wimberley areas have lots of broken trees
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#46]
The Inky Darkside: Take care and be careful. That is unfortunate to those trees, but they will grow back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Icy here but no broken trees yet.

We supposed to get much more ice tonight. I hope my trees can hang on until mid morning tomorrow when the temp is supposed to get above freezing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Had the same here last week.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the sound. It sounds like cheap and plentiful firewood
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#50]
BTDT, not fun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top