BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/26/2021 10:22:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought the KLR was being discontinued?  Couldn't achieve emissions standards anymore or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I see those bikes and instantly think about 5 Middle Aged men, wearing highlighter suits and as many panier boxes as they can find
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I always wanted one converted to propane.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the KLR was being discontinued?  Couldn't achieve emissions standards anymore or something like that.
View Quote
Kinda
This morning was their big release of the new klr. Lots of people were waiting to see what the new bikes they were releasing with hopes of something......definitely not what people were hoping for
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
460lbs
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
460lbs
View Quote

Including the chubby rider???
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
460lbs
View Quote

Yeah, that's a heavy pig.  Jebus.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#8]
For $8k, you can buy a really nice used BMW GS.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
They will sell well. The carb'd model did for decades. Agree it is chunky, but for 90% of the people it will be more than adequate.

It's not supposed to compete with a KTM 690.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#10]
T7 for the win
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#12]
It looks exactly like the same 2014 I had. C'mon kawasaki.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive always been a huge Kawasaki fanboi ....except for their KLRs
Honda XLs, XRs and XRLs for on-off road riding, thank you very much
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
T7 for the win
View Quote
Little bit more expensive but weighs the same has tons more power and better suspension.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Sooo....its basically the same as a 1994 KLR650.

I had a KLR. It was slow for a motorcycle, it was heavy, but it was nearly indestructible. I think someone on this forum bought it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Lame.

But they’ll sell them to wannabe, budget ADV types “who prefer simplicity”

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#17]
This video sums it up.

Japanese v European motorbikes - did Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki & Suzuki lose their mojo?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Kawasaki built some fast street bikes, but not so great dirt bikes. Back in ‘73-74 all the new dirt bikes came out and the 250 Kawasaki was 40 lbs heavier than the rest and 5-6 horsepower down. But just like most gun magazines you had the writers of the motorcycle magazines jacking off like crazy about the new Kawasaki. All except ‘Dirt Bike’ magazine, the editor took a picture of the new bike in a fucking pig pen, and called the bike for being an underpowered, overweight turd.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I rode a KLR once, on a Jeep trail that was rough and had a steep downhill section.  I'm a pretty good rider but it was all I could do to keep that behemoth underneath me.

The Yamaha WR and Suzuki DRZ are more my style, and I have had no reliability issues with mine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#20]
What a fucking failure. It should have been a parallel twin.

I was a KLR owner, and everything that I ended up not liking on the bike is still there. They phoned it in and three plastic and a few bobbins at it and called it “new”.

Sorry kawi, being cheap isn’t a big enough attraction anymore.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I mean it's cheap, that's the point of the klr, hopefully it's as relaible. Probably a good thing they didn't change too much, to many changes is just inviting reliability issues. Sure a Yamaha tenere is 2x as good but it's a lot more money.

People that compare a drz400 or a honda xl don't know what a adv bike is lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sooo....its basically the same as a 1994 KLR650.

I had a KLR. It was slow for a motorcycle, it was heavy, but it was nearly indestructible. I think someone on this forum bought it.
View Quote

No, it’s “basically the same as a 1986 KLR600”.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Little bit more expensive but weighs the same has tons more power and better suspension.

View Quote

I’m struggling to understand who would buy this bike.... the kind of rider that buys a middleweight adventure bike is a guy who isn’t on a ramen and water starvation diet anymore. There aren’t many guys that would look past a T7 or 890 ADV to get one of these.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
460lbs

That's pretty standard for a newer adv bike
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

EFI and a catalytic converter fix that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Bold new graphics.

That bike is, and has always been, a weak and heavy garden tractor. It's only virtue is that it's cheap. It's not even the most reliable of the big bore/big three...I'd put the XR650L against it and it's faulty dookickey any day, and the DR650 is arguably a better overall package as far as build quality. If there's a spectrum of dual sports and on one end is light, powerful, capable dirt machine, then the KLR sits like a fat bitch with a donut smeared on her face at the other end, telling you how she's very reliable...even tho she's got gout.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kinda
This morning was their big release of the new klr. Lots of people were waiting to see what the new bikes they were releasing with hopes of something......definitely not what people were hoping for
View Quote

The only release I cared about this morning was the new Triumph Speed Triple RS 1200......! Holy Balls, I want this bike.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Full disclosure, I have a 2005 klr650. I like them. Decent bikes.

BUT WHY WOULDN'T YOU PUT A SIXTH GEAR IN THERE?!

omg that's the worst part, wrapped up on slab buzzing like a mad hornet, every once in a while lifting your foot and hoping another gear magically appeared in there at some point
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
T7 for the win
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
460lbs

When you drop it on the trail, you can blow out our back getting it upright.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I had an '86 klr 600. Buddy bought an 86 XR 600 at the same time.

All dirt miles, I totalled mine in about a year.  Broke the underseat subframe and the swingarm developed a nice long crack.

Last kawasaki I will own.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Kawasaki made a street legal KLX650 for a couple of years.  I had one, beleive it or not it had a totally different 650cc single, electric start engine than the KLR. (stupid)  And it was a FAR better bike off road.

This one was mine too, and I'd take it again today over any KLR650 ever made.

But this one, converted to be street legal, would rule them all. Honda XR650R

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Full disclosure, I have a 2005 klr650. I like them. Decent bikes.

BUT WHY WOULDN'T YOU PUT A SIXTH GEAR IN THERE?!

omg that's the worst part, wrapped up on slab buzzing like a mad hornet, every once in a while lifting your foot and hoping another gear magically appeared in there at some point
View Quote

The Japanese hate 6 speed gear boxes on dual sports...except for the WRR, which was so great they stopped making them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks like the same bike with a TBI in place of a carb.

That being said, screw 'em.  Since our local dealer refused to work on my ZG1000 because it was a 2001 model... but would work on a 2007 which is the same bike.. I won't darken their door for any reason.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
460lbs

My 1250GSA, with almost twice the displacement, weighs only 90 pounds more and delivers over 3 times the power.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I always wanted one converted to propane.
View Quote

@DeltaElite777

You misspelt diesel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Japanese hate 6 speed gear boxes on dual sports...except for the WRR, which was so great they stopped making them.
View Quote
Yamaha between the WRR and new T700 are the only ones that have done anything interesting in the last 15 years from the Japanese  makers. Looking like Honda and Kawasaki are finally making a smaller dual sport with a 6 speed but they're too new to judge.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@DeltaElite777

You misspelt diesel.
View Quote

Rather have propane, but diesel is cool too....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’m struggling to understand who would buy this bike.... the kind of rider that buys a middleweight adventure bike is a guy who isn’t on a ramen and water starvation diet anymore. There aren’t many guys that would look past a T7 or 890 ADV to get one of these.
View Quote

It will outsell either of those bikes by magnitudes, I would bet money on it.

As for weight you guys are acting like it is terrible when the truth is if it does really weigh 460 that is with a six gallons of fuel and abs. That isn't bad by todays standards. Yes I know it weighs a lot more than your 80cc dirt bike but for an ADV bike its pretty good.

So what did they change? Almost everything everyone wanted. ABS, Fuel injection, Better brakes, and more available wattage coupled with LED headlights. As well they didn't go way out of the park on this so the reliability is still there. Yes, they missed out on that sixth gear.

ETA: You guys want to hate this bike so much that most of you can't be the least bit objective.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
460 lb base model, still has a 5 speed and shit suspension

View Quote

Jesus. Well, at least it will have a low center of gravity and a ton of power for all that weight.

Are they just refurbishing ancient KLRs?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
460 lb base model
View Quote

Holy crap. That's a whole 12lb lighter than a 1200cc GSA.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#42]

I hate to break this to you but you are off by over 100 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#43]
There are A LOT of people out here who ride those

We work on at least one a week doing a service or tires

Not my style but they are definitely popular

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As for weight you guys are acting like it is terrible when the truth is if it does really weigh 460 that is with a six gallons of fuel and abs. That isn't bad by todays standards. Yes I know it weighs a lot more than your 80cc dirt bike but for an ADV bike its pretty good.

So what did they change? Almost everything everyone wanted. ABS, Fuel injection, Better brakes, and more available wattage coupled with LED headlights. As well they didn't go way out of the park on this so the reliability is still there. Yes, they missed out on that sixth gear.

ETA: You guys want to hate this bike so much that most of you can't be the least bit objective.
View Quote

Found the KLR owner.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Found the KLR owner.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found the KLR owner.  

Oh' I have owned several and have ridden one all through Mexico and Central America. But I do not currently own one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My 1250GSA, with almost twice the displacement, weighs only 90 pounds more and delivers over 3 times the power.

View Quote

My point exactly, only 90lbs is a lot on a single track where 3 times the power won't help. My main point was adv bikes are heavy, the klr isn't exceptionally heavy.

The klr is a 60/40 bike at best, where a 1250gsa is a 80/20.  It's all about what your goals are.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#47]
So, it's the same old pig but with abs, fi, and a usb port?

That sum it up?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My point exactly, only 90lbs is a lot on a single track where 3 times the power won't help. My main point was adv bikes are heavy, the klr isn't exceptionally heavy.

The klr is a 60/40 bike at best, where a 1250gsa is a 80/20.  It's all about what your goals are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention its not 90 pounds it's actually closer to 120 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll stick with my KTM thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Adorable street tires on that bike, that's every gsa ever, to expensive to drop and thrash on some rocky trail
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top