Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2019 12:12:07 AM EDT
I'm not certain I want to go the Pi route right now and deal w/ USB issues.   Is there an option that will give me a normal USB port on an Ender 3?  Different controller board maybe?  Might be a reason to upgrade...  
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Some boards have built in WiFi so you can print to it over your network if yo so desired.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:43:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some boards have built in WiFi so you can print to it over your network if yo so desired.
View Quote
I'm looking at that.  The price on something like the Duet Wifi makes me think I'll put up w/ the sd card or setup a Pi though.     My problem right now is I'm still not sure what's out there, and that makes searching for the answer tough.  I end up asking questions.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
What USB issues do you think will exist with octoprint that wouldn't exist by modifying your printer otherwise?

With your ender 3 you can either run with SD cards or plug it in to something with octoprint installed, you don't really have other options. As you've found, changing the mainboard to something that supports usb would cost nearly as much as the printer itself.

While octoprint may have the rare gremlin here and there, it's easy to use and a lot less of a pain than ferrying an sd card back and forth. With the 4 out now you can probably get a 3b cheap. And it will allow you to wirelessly send files to your printer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What USB issues do you think will exist with octoprint that wouldn't exist by modifying your printer otherwise?

With your ender 3 you can either run with SD cards or plug it in to something with octoprint installed, you don't really have other options. As you've found, changing the mainboard to something that supports usb would cost nearly as much as the printer itself.

While octoprint may have the rare gremlin here and there, it's easy to use and a lot less of a pain than ferrying an sd card back and forth. With the 4 out now you can probably get a 3b cheap. And it will allow you to wirelessly send files to your printer.
View Quote
I've read you can have issues w/ timing over USB.  Was trying to avoid that.    I've got a 3B and a 4 sitting here I can repurpose if needed.    I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to fix the annoyance issue w/ the card.  It's really getting old already to go to the opposite end of the basement, get the card, put it in the card reader, take it back to my computer , put the file(s) on it, then go back and put it in.   It does look like as much as I've tried to avoid it, I'll probably end up w/ something like Octoprint.    
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#5]
You can switch to a full size SD card reader if that helps.  Adapters are cheap ~= $8, no changes required to the machine & mounts are on Thingiverse.   I'm fine with doing the swap when doing new jobs, I just use multiple cards and rotate them.  I don't think I've used the micro sd cards since the first week or so.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can switch to a full size SD card reader if that helps.  Adapters are cheap ~= $8, no changes required to the machine & mounts are on Thingiverse.   I'm fine with doing the swap when doing new jobs, I just use multiple cards and rotate them.  I don't think I've used the micro sd cards since the first week or so.
View Quote
I think I actually have an adapter I used on a Pi at one point.   I think I'd be happier if I could use a normal flash drive instead of an adapter.  That doesn't seem to be a real option, but it would skip the annoying adapter.    I'll probably end up w/ something like Octopi though.  For some reason I've been resisting the idea.  I don't see running the card back and forth lasting long.    Either that or I'll stick my NUC or a laptop in there and copy the files from it.  I could easily put the files on Google Drive or Dropbox and sync the files that way.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I ditched the adapter when I changed displays.  The "Reprap Discount Full Graphic Display" ( what a mouthful) has a full size card reader.  I changed displays when I went to the MKS Gen L board.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're resisting octoprint because of possible quality issues, look into Klipper. Essentially your Pi will process the gcode for your printer. Supposedly it can result in higher quality prints at higher speeds. I've never used it but it would also solve your sd card issues at the same time.

Link here
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
1st world problems?

My printer room is upstairs on the other side of the house.   I check on prints during commercial breaks.

Its like a mini-stairmaster.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1st world problems?

My printer room is upstairs on the other side of the house.   I check on prints during commercial breaks.

Its like a mini-stairmaster.
View Quote
Mine is in the room right next to my computer room, but the only way to it is to go clear around the basement.    It's annoying because it's wasted time running back and forth.  Go get the sd card and adapter, take it to the computer, go back to the printer w/ the card.   Then I realize I dropped the stl file on it instead of the gcode and I get to repeat the process....
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just consider that its good practice to monitor the first layer to make any live Z height adjustments and make sure its starting off well.

While I run OctoPi, the printer is 12 feet away from me in the same room
View Quote
I've got a Wyze camera pointing at it.  I've had more than my share of failures so far as I learn.  It's twitchy too.  One day the settings work well.  The next day nothing wants to stick.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top