Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2020 10:19:09 PM EDT
Looking for reasons to invest in a 3D printer and thought I’d see what cool, life improving, and yes, tactical cool guy stuff you’ve all found to make life easier or whatever. Not just “ooooo here’s an action figure”, want to have a central location for stuff that makes your life better. Or more tactical, ‘cuz it’s Arfcom.

Links good, pics better!
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
All my scopes have throw levers thanks to my 3d printer. Of course you can buy them but they are usually a lot more expensive than 10 cents worth of filament.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not very exciting and the quickest prints I have ever done, but I use these printed switch caps for my X56 throttle so that I can 'feel' for them in VR when I can't see the throttle or joystick. Different shape and feel for each switch.

I have more big complicated prints, but use these every single day.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Oven knobs

One of my first prints was replacement knobs on my stove. It's older than me and they had seen better days. The old ones were more glue than knob.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
An Ender 3 pro is a 200 dollar item

buy one and get with Z times

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Tools are cool.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/63502EAF-E493-43FB-AD9F-7A4ED934167C-1596372.jpg

View Quote

Oh I like that
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/63502EAF-E493-43FB-AD9F-7A4ED934167C-1596372.jpg

View Quote

First up, that’s awesome... second up, I saw a thing on Thingiverse for the Cherokee Trailhawks to put the recovery kit on the right side of the cargo area... thought that was a neat add-on, life improver!
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
For me so far it has been the convenience of making something in a couple hours with material on hand versus ordering something that you usually don't think about.

Small example. We are always breaking/running out of/losing bag clips for sealing chip bags, frozen food bags, etc. Half an hour later I have a dozen of them printed ready to go.

Obviously that isn't why I wanted a 3d printer, but the convenience is a nice bonus for little things you would normally never think about.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Made new adjustable A/C vents for my camper.  Also toggle switch mounts and other random accessories
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#11]

5.5 hour print that finished while I was asleep

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looking for reasons to invest in a 3D printer and thought I’d see what cool, life improving, and yes, tactical cool guy stuff you’ve all found to make life easier or whatever. Not just “ooooo here’s an action figure”, want to have a central location for stuff that makes your life better. Or more tactical, ‘cuz it’s Arfcom.

Links good, pics better!
View Quote

https://old.reddit.com/r/functionalprint/

That's a forum on reddit dedicated to functional prints and not just a bunch of toys or action figures that sit on a shelf. You can sort by "Top - All Time" (or click here) and see some really cool ideas and tools that people are making themselves.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a forum on reddit dedicated to functional prints and not just a bunch of toys or action figures that sit on a shelf. You can sort by "Top - All Time" (or click here) and see some really cool ideas and tools that people are making themselves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Links good, pics better!

Browsed briefly - thanks! Great inspiration.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#15]
No dick-a-saurus rex prints yet? Disappoint
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
A while back I did some magnet mount mirrors for the 1025R & 3038e tractors.   Just some 60 lb. pot magnets & golf cart mirror screwed onto a 3D printed TPU mounting block (flat face for the 1025R & form fitting for the 3038e).  I recently found another use for the magnet mount mirrors on the 1025R.  I have a 3 point adapter for the FEL that includes a 2" receiver & use it with a tri-ball mount for trailer moving.  I found I could use the the left side 1025R mirror to get a view of the ball when doing trailer hookups.  Just stick it to the 3 point adapter & adjust it properly.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone heard of this stuff? Steel It Paint? Think it would make a 3D print more durable?

It’s pricey but if you’re making things that will be used regularly, maybe it would protect the plastic longer. Especially if you’re printing something like the Wildfire/Hellfire.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone heard of this stuff? Steel It Paint? Think it would make a 3D print more durable?

It’s pricey but if you’re making things that will be used regularly, maybe it would protect the plastic longer. Especially if you’re printing something like the Wildfire/Hellfire.
View Quote

Back when I had a VW bug there was this paint that many restorers used on floor pans and such.  It was like POR-15 but had a metal additive like this. I think it was originally designed as a bridge paint but found it's way into the consumer market.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They emailed me back my color choice. I went with black.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pricey but if you're making things that will be used regularly, maybe it would protect the plastic longer. Especially if you're printing something like the Wildfire/Hellfire.
Sent a request off for a free sample. If/when I get it, I'll post up a review
They emailed me back my color choice. I went with black.

Attachment Attached File

Looking forward to your review! I found it on another site. I am just interested to see if it slightly improves durability over regular plastic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
A single scoop for the bunn office coffee pot. Now each pot is the same.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]
This was a project I've been putting off for a couple years but finally got around to doing. It's a mounting for an encoder. Here's a picture of the visible bits:

There's some more printed parts that are non-visible, though:

The red expanding collet and the blue cone are also printed. The nut pulls a 3/8-16x3 bolt (with the cone) up into the collet, expanding it out to grip the inside of a 1.03" ID shaft. The tip of the bolt is turned down to 6mm, and the pulley rides on that area. I didn't model some of the machine parts, but the black part is a bearing housing, and the 1.03" ID shaft rides inside that bearing.

(The encoder is feeding shaft position back to a computer, which adjusts the speed controller to match the measured shaft speed against the commanded speed. It helps keep the motor from getting bogged down and causing things to break.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top