Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2022 10:41:56 AM EDT
Just had my first cavity drilled and filled, may still end up needing a root canal but hopefully the dentist was right and the filling is the end of it... for now.

I'm pretty careful about sugar, brush regularly, avoid the stereotypical sugar foods like candy ice cream cereal breakfast bars etc. The amount of sugar in damn near everything is staggering, from now on if it ain't natural I'm not eating it, looking closely at stuff I thought had minimal sugar, it doesn't. Why is there so much sugar added to everything? stuff that doesn't need a lick more of sugar has x grams added, stuff that shouldn't need sugar at all has it in droves. No wonder diabetes and obesity are going through the roof. One could almost say its a conspiracy, why is there so much sugar in everything?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The sugar acts as a preservative and masks the taste of poor quality ingredients that keep getting pushed to lower cost.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Boomers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The American palate has become accustomed to it.

Sugar is cheap filler to add flavor to cheap shit food.

To get you addicted to shit food.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Sugar makes things taste good so they put it in everything.

I only eat what I prepare from home which makes it easy to avoid things you don't want...unless you buy shit that is already made. I buy single ingredients and combine them in certain measures.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I hear this from my wife, weekly.
She's doing everything she can to keep our kids away from becoming addicted to it and getting the betus.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the 1960s.  My Mom was worried about sugar in breakfast cereals back when I was in elementary school.

Sugar tastes good and kids like sugar.  Of course food processors are going to add it to everything.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's doing everything she can to keep our kids away from becoming addicted to it and getting the betus.
View Quote

Thats awesome!
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just had my first cavity drilled and filled, may still end up needing a root canal but hopefully the dentist was right and the filling is the end of it... for now.

I'm pretty careful about sugar, brush regularly, avoid the stereotypical sugar foods like candy ice cream cereal breakfast bars etc. The amount of sugar in damn near everything is staggering, from now on if it ain't natural I'm not eating it, looking closely at stuff I thought had minimal sugar, it doesn't. Why is there so much sugar added to everything? stuff that doesn't need a lick more of sugar has x grams added, stuff that shouldn't need sugar at all has it in droves. No wonder diabetes and obesity are going through the roof. One could almost say its a conspiracy, why is there so much sugar in everything?
View Quote

I went through this about two or three years ago. Now anytime I eat anything sugary, which is VERY rare, I get a headache.

Other foods which I used to consider bland taste much better now too. I'll never go back.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Part of the problem is that most people don't understand that carbohydrates are sugar.  Pasta, potatoes, bread, all of it... carbs are just a longer chain of glucose molecules tied together than the simple sugars.  Polysaccharides vs. mono/disacharrides.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is that most people don't understand that carbohydrates are sugar.  Pasta, potatoes, bread, all of it... carbs are just a longer chain of glucose molecules tied together than the simple sugars.  Polysaccharides vs. mono/disacharrides.
View Quote

Good point, I know this yet I still haven't been careful enough.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Refined sugar is cancer's friend.  Brush frequently.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.  It's disgusting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Sugar fires pleasure receptors in the brain. It's added to foods to make you crave their product, eat more, and boost sales -- health be dammed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#14]
2330... 2030

Idiocracy - Brawndo owns the FDA
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Sugar is bad but isn't as bad as vegetable oil, which is in more things.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Sugar is the debil...

...carbs too
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I purchased some Kroger brand little sausages recently and the top three ingredients were "pork, corn syrup, beef".
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Pole is...

...odd
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I hate added sugar, but I love natural sugar. I wouldn't enjoy going a few days without fruit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sugar is cheap filler to add flavor to cheap shit food.

To get you addicted to shit food.
View Quote

The first two.  It's cheap and makes most things taste good increasing sales.  The latter some percentage of people, guessing a minority though.  Most people don't become addicts of things.  

To those of us used to it, stuff without sweeteners often taste bland.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Americans are fat

Went to Europe for a few weeks. Everyone was in good shape, even the chain smokers. Landed in St. Louis and I could hear the heavy breathing everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#22]
When wife started doing Whole 30 diets sugar is one of the main thing you have to look for , along with a number of other negative crap. It was amazing to me to see the amounts of sugar dumped into all kinds of products.

Shit is worse than crack
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
why is there so much sugar in everything?
View Quote

because when you put a shitload of sugar in it, more people buy it
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is really disturbing to me. I sort of knew it was probably the case, but I haven't looked into it yet.
I have been losing weight for months, and my doctor keeps telling me to consume calories, ANY calories.
For a while I was eating chocolates, pie, Boost (balanced nutritional drink full of several forms of sugar), along with potatoes, bread, and pasta.

I had tests run last week and my glucose level is way above upper limit of safe. I am pre-diabetic at 108 pounds.
He prescribed a drug to stimulate my appetite, which is not needed. I stuff myself with "healthy" foods constantly, to the point of being uncomfortably full most of the day.

What can I eat that will NOT drive me into type 2 diabetes?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#25]
take fat away, need something for flavor

viola

suger

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#26]
When they decided fat was the cause of all ills and tried to eliminate it from every food, they had to replace it with something so it would remain palatable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is really disturbing to me. I sort of knew it was probably the case, but I haven't looked into it yet.
I have been losing weight for months, and my doctor keeps telling me to consume calories, ANY calories.
For a while I was eating chocolates, pie, Boost (balanced nutritional drink full of several forms of sugar), along with potatoes, bread, and pasta.

I had tests run last week and my glucose level is way above upper limit of safe. I am pre-diabetic at 108 pounds.
He prescribed a drug to stimulate my hunger, which is not needed. I stuff myself with "healthy" foods constantly, to the point of being uncomfortably full most of the day.

View Quote
Fats.

7 calories per gram versus the 4 calories per gram for carbohydrates and proteins.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep, most people are addicted to sweets, and with the tax-subsidized corn, HFCS, it makes it almost a free substitute for sugar, so sweetness is every where.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He prescribed a drug to stimulate my appetite, which is not needed. I stuff myself with "healthy" foods constantly, to the point of being uncomfortably full most of the day.

View Quote

that sounds like type 1 diabetes
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#30]
The FDA says it’s good for you.

Trust the science.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good on her.  My Mom did everything she could to keep us off the junk when we were growing up.  Anything boxed or processed was not allowed in our house.  She made everything from scratch.  Our snacks were good quality cheeses and fruits. When I was a kid, I thought it was annoying.  All of these other kids got to drink Cokes and eat cereal whenever they wanted.

As an adult, I truly appreciate what she did for us.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Salt too.

My A1c was 6.4 so no more sugar for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#33]
For those of you who want to avoid sugar/HFCS, salt, and fats, avoid eating out or limit eating out. Cook your own food so that you can control the amount of sugar, fats, and salt. East fresh chicken, vegetables etc, real rice; eat fresh fruits and vegetables, you will not only be healthier, but you will also save money.

For example, I put dried tomatoes on my pasta, most restaurants don't put that in because it costs like 10x more than salt and oils since they are a profit making entity. Remember fat carries the taste.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep, most people are addicted to sweets, and with the tax-subsidized corn, HFCS, it makes it almost a free substitute for sugar, so sweetness is every where.
View Quote

Guess what the original and still one of the largest lobby groups is.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Sugar is awesome! It's a treat. People are slops with no discipline.

Even fat losers can buy a snickers bar/trophy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our concept of "healthy" foods has been shaped by the USDA's food pyramid, which is basically a load of crap.

Try keto.  Just try it.  You don't have to listen to either the keto evangelists or the detractors; give strict keto an honest try for 30 days and then evaluate things for yourself.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Salt too.

View Quote
Yeah, mine is 6.3, it was 7.2, and my doc says you must get it down or I will order drugs for you, and that is not good because of the side effects. So long story short, avoid white flour, white rice, such as white bread, white pasta, and of course the normal sweet stuff. I put one tsp of sugar in my coffee. I eat sour dough bread, cheese, fresh fruits and veggies, chicken, beef, pork etc.

BTW budget more for natural foods because fresh anything is expensive. The processed foods uses a lower grades of whatever and so it can be less expensive.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Salt too.

View Quote

Yea I need to watch the salt too
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Sugar is a cheap filler that adds flavor and gets you addicted. Hence the use of many forms of it in processed food, along with sodium in mass quantities(flavor boost, preservative).

Fat is not bad for you IF you eat good fats like avocados, olive oil, fish oils, nuts, etc. Just balance it with your proteins.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...

Take any vegetable or fruit, and digest (process) it enough, and you will eventually end up with C6 H12 O6.  It is better if you body digests the carbohydrates rather than consuming pre-digested fructose, sucrose and glucose but it is what it is.  I'm closing in on 70, brush my teeth and floss and regularly visit the dentist, exercise daily and I am slim and have my teeth.  You can compensate for all that sugar by proper lifestyle decisions that most people fail to make.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I stopped eating nearly anything with sugar a few months back, feel 1000% better...
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Our concept of "healthy" foods has been shaped by the USDA's food pyramid, which is basically a load of crap.

Try keto.  Just try it.  You don't have to listen to either the keto evangelists or the detractors; give strict keto an honest try for 30 days and then evaluate things for yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He does not want to go keto.  He's trying to halt or reverse weight loss while keeping blood glucose in check.  Going keto will certainly improve his blood glucose but ultimately reduce his appetite and caloric intake.

@AR-10 when you say they "ran tests" were you fasting for that blood glucose?  Did they check A1C?  If you were told you were "pre-diabetic" that could be as low as an instant blood glucose level of 125, which is high when fasted, but absolutely normal if not fasted.

Increasing fat intake will increase your caloric intake, but you want to do it while you continue eating carbohydrates if arresting weight loss is the primary goal.

ETA: I'm not anti-keto I think you just misread his issue since its pretty rare people have trouble putting weight ON.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sugar is awesome! It's a treat. People are slops with no discipline.

Even fat losers can buy a snickers bar/trophy.
View Quote
this right here, I put sugar on my sugar so it taste better.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I went through this about two or three years ago. Now anytime I eat anything sugary, which is VERY rare, I get a headache.

Other foods which I used to consider bland taste much better now too. I'll never go back.
View Quote

Bingo.  I gave up most sugar/carbs in 1999, and now, if I eat any high sugar food, I feel ill.   One slice of cake, and in an hour or so, pounding headache and feel sick to my stomach.   Sugar, especially white sugar and corn syrup, is the devil.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Corn syrup is in everything
So is salt.

Both need to be reduced in our food.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me; by The Iron Cross
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Welcome to the 1960s.  My Mom was worried about sugar in breakfast cereals back when I was in elementary school.

Sugar tastes good and kids like sugar.  Of course food processors are going to add it to everything.
View Quote

My mother was a nurse. She refused to buy sugar cereal, and rarely had sugar in the house. Plus too sugar became very expensive at one time in the 70s. I remember  my mother refusing to pay the price for a 5# bag of sugar.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He does not want to go keto.  He's trying to halt or reverse weight loss while keeping blood glucose in check.  Going keto will certainly improve his blood glucose but ultimately reduce his appetite and caloric intake.

@AR-10 when you say they "ran tests" were you fasting for that blood glucose?  Did they check A1C?  If you were told you were "pre-diabetic" that could be as low as an instant blood glucose level of 125, which is high when fasted, but absolutely normal if not fasted.

Increasing fat intake will increase your caloric intake, but you want to do it while you continue eating carbohydrates if arresting weight loss is the primary goal.

ETA: I'm not anti-keto I think you just misread his issue since its pretty rare people have trouble putting weight ON.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed the part about not losing weight... but yeah, while it's still possible to gain weight on keto, it sounds like there's something else going on there (like Type 1).  Being underweight and pre-diabetic is pretty unusual.

Good point about the glucose tests.  Time of day can affect it too; people usually have a 'rush' of glucose early in the morning that is your body's way of helping you wake up.  Getting your own meter and doing your own testing really helps to understand the patterns, which is (IMHO) more significant than a spot-check of the numbers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's added to foods to make you crave their product, eat more, and boost sales -- health be dammed.
View Quote

This.  The food industry in this country is all about profits and getting you to buy their product instead of another.  What's good or bad for your health matters little.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#50]
When I started my low carb diet, then switched to Keto I found out the staggering amount of sugar in everything. Read the labels.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top