Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/27/2020 6:14:49 AM EDT
So my newlywed wife feels my style sucks. It probably does, and likes the traditional preppy look. She’s a New Englander, from an “established” family, and went to Harvard undergrad and grad school.  I’d assume this look is just what she’s familiar with.  I’m I going to look stupid as a 38 year old man dressing this way? Will my gun buddies pretend they don’t know me?  Am I going to miss my carhartt hoodies?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow hope you like wearing ties and jackets. And will have to trim the beard if you have on. Personally I hate wearing ties. And yes no hoodies anymore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
No advice shall be rendered until you follow the rules .
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
just lawyer up now
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just lawyer up now
View Quote
Prenup
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Just the beginning OP.  
Subscription to GQ on the way.
New hobbies.
New friends.
New tea parties.
Trade in your truck.
Sell your guns.
And don’t forget to vacuum and do the dishes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#6]
A real man can wear a pink Polo, chinos, no socks, and penny loafers anywhere he fucking wants to.

ETA...

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Fairs fair, if you preppy up she has to slut it up.

No clue this was coming?
It's the tip of the iceberg, heading for Uranus, get out now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#8]
If you give in now on this, get ready to give in on a lot of things.

Maybe make some compromises, but now is the time to learn how to say "do you want me to demand all sorts of fundamental changes of you?"

"I like lingere, dinner made, house kept, bla bla bla."

But if you capitulate and don't gain some of your own ground, or put your foot down and lead, this will define the tenor of your marriage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#9]
So she waited till you were married to spring this on you?

Sounds like a trap.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two "styles"

1: I look like I have been out in the barn chor'in all day

2: I have nice clothes to wear to nice places

Dress up sometimes for your new wife. Maybe she wants to show you off and brag about how good you are in the sack to her friends.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So my newlywed wife feels my style sucks. It probably does, and likes the traditional preppy look. She's a New Englander, from an "established" family, and went to Harvard undergrad and grad school.  I'd assume this look is just what she's familiar with.  I'm I going to look stupid as a 38 year old man dressing this way? Will my gun buddies pretend they don't know me?  Am I going to miss my carhartt hoodies?
View Quote
I just like this all the time it's perfectly acceptable.

When I'm at work I wear my work clothes when I'm in my garage or cutting my grass I wear my work clothes when we want to go somewhere I wear the preppy stuff
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Just married an now she tries to change you?!? Not sure bout this kind of behavior already.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Full scale Ken doll. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Custom wool pull over hoodie------- https://asbellwool.com/t/pathfinder
They have full zipper versions too, just follow care instructions on site.
Blazer/sport coat substitute-----------------------------------  Duluth Trading canvas jacket
Cabela's stopped selling my heavy twill collared shirts when taken over by Bass Pro
Tactical shit has some nice flannel shirts.
If you like T-shirts just switch to heavy polos from Timberland or the thin synthetic ones from Gall's since they hold up better than Ralph Loren.
Duluth Trading for pants that last and don't look shabby like three month old Dockers, or non tactical looking Propper or 511 stay sharp.  A friend got a bunch of his BILs and loves them better than his former jeans. Pockets plenty deep for J frame holstered which is more than can be said for some jeans nowadays.
I used to buy Dickies pants and cut the red tab off for suitable business attire look.  They last for a few years wearing 3 days a week and just get more comfy with washings.  Pockets never fray and no worn spots developed on them.

Draw the line at sweater vests and button down shirts.
I used to like to wear commando sweaters, the black Army or OD Marine ones.

Does she want real preppy or just get rid of the Tshirts and hoodies?

You could always go with the 80's Al Sharpton look and ask if your original look is OK after all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Geez, OP, that sounds a little ominous. I hope you're being facetious.  Not good that she's trying to change how you dress.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Get your balls back and wear what you want.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#18]
edit.... sorry not GD
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So my newlywed wife feels my style sucks.
View Quote
You sure that was an upgrade?  Weird statement for someone to make right after marriage: "I love you now change."
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get your balls back and wear what you want.
View Quote
This!

Wow. Not cool. Hope this new style thing is just a suggestion from the new bride. Either you look like a homeless guy or your wife is playing with fire with "I can change him" crap.
You have my sympathy. ????????
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have two "styles"

1: I look like I have been out in the barn chor'in all day

2: I have nice clothes to wear to nice places

Dress up sometimes for your new wife. Maybe she wants to show you off and brag about how good you are in the sack to her friends.
View Quote
I ran into a duck hunting buddy at a funeral a couple of weeks ago. I was wearing a gray chalk stripe suit, tie and shiny, freshly polished wingtips. “Damn, you clean up well...”

“Clean up” once in a while OP!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#22]
It’s ok not to be a slob all the time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#23]
https://www.jcrew.com/mens
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Too bad OP did not see the quicksand he now finds himself in before the wedding...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Are you really sobbing it up right now, or is this just a general request?  A simple trip to Banana Republic, Eddie Bauer, and Nordstrom to buy a few outfits might cut it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#26]
You're being estrogenized.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
right.  why is everyone else helping?!?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just married an now she tries to change you?!? Not sure bout this kind of behavior already.
View Quote
"Men marry women hoping they will never change, Women marry men hoping they will." - Some Smart Fucker

Women have a switch in their head that just turns on when they eat wedding cake.

Before marriage there is stuff about you they don't like, but they think "No big deal, it's not like I have to put up with this forever"

Then marriage happens, and the switch changes to the new setting and suddenly they think "Hole shit.... I have to tolerate this shit forever?!?!?!?!"

next think you know it starts nice with "Honey, I think you would look nice if you just try wearing this gay fucking shirt (sic) to the party" and "Could try only drinking beer tonight?".
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So she waited till you were married to spring this on you?

Sounds like a trap.
View Quote
Seriously, WTF?  Did you guys meet & get married on the same weekend in Vegas?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#31]
In before the spinoff thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I ran into a duck hunting buddy at a funeral a couple of weeks ago. I was wearing a gray chalk stripe suit, tie and shiny, freshly polished wingtips. "Damn, you clean up well..."

"Clean up" once in a while OP!
View Quote
I don't think she's wanting once in a while.

I think she wants to change op in more fundamental ways.

The way shes asking him to dress isn't akin to dressing well for a funeral/dinner/etc., it feels like shes wanting him to dress like a beta lib.

Preppy isnt "putting on a suit/tie every once in a while for an appropriate occasion, preppy is an every day thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Wife is also a New Englander.

She knows there are times when I clean up and look like a well dressed middle aged man. There are times apart from that when I am gray man (boots/jeans/hat/hoodie/shirt jacket) but well armed and prepared.

I don't go anywhere out like a schlub.  Marriage is compromise but I do it on my own accord.  I also work Plainclothes LE and wear jacket and tie at work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#34]
... now don't get me wrong: it's good to have and wear clothing that one wouldn't play football or work on the car in.  But the post-marriage instance is a little off-putting.

I'll always try on and occasionally wear clothing my wife buys me, often in styles I'd never pick for myself; ask her to pick out thing she thinks you'd look good in.  No reason not to expand the wardrobe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#35]
So you married a woman who wants to change the way you dress?  My wife liked the way I dressed when we dated and has never asked me to change a thing about me. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#36]
If she takes care of you in the bedroom whenever you want, however you want, then respond in kind. Otherwise
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#37]
How preppy are we talking?  LL Bean/Eddie Bauer or Vineyard Vines?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How preppy are we talking?  LL Bean/Eddie Bauer or Vineyard Vines?
View Quote
LL Bean is preppy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#39]
She loves you.  She wants you to look good.

Just do it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#40]
She didn’t try try to clean you up when you were engaged?

This won’t go well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So my newlywed wife feels my style sucks. It probably does, and likes the traditional preppy look. She’s a New Englander, from an “established” family, and went to Harvard undergrad and grad school.  I’d assume this look is just what she’s familiar with.  I’m I going to look stupid as a 38 year old man dressing this way? Will my gun buddies pretend they don’t know me?  Am I going to miss my carhartt hoodies?
View Quote
Just a guess.... but you married up? She earns the higher income? If so, you had better tow the line and start dressing like the preppy soy boy she "desires".

Accountant

ETA: She will still fuck the pool boy, her personal trainer, and the delivery boy; behind your back. Yes, I'm this jaded for a reason. You will learn within the next 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#42]
1/10
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
You just described a democrat household.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You sure that was an upgrade?  Weird statement for someone to make right after marriage: "I love you now change."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So my newlywed wife feels my style sucks.
It was hinted to during dating.  I never really cared about things it’s definitely not a bad thing. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just the beginning OP.  
Subscription to GQ on the way.
New hobbies.
New friends.
New tea parties.
Trade in your truck.
Sell your guns.
And don’t forget to vacuum and do the dishes.
View Quote
I don’t own a truck. I’ve had a Volkswagen Passat TDI for about a year. Previously a Honda Accord. She loves shooting and hunting. She has her dads 45-70 she used for protection while living alone
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It’s ok not to be a slob all the time.
View Quote
This.

Need more information before I determine this to be a bad thing.

Some folks here have a near allergic mental reaction to dressing like grown-ups, like it it would mean they sold out or some imaginary tough guy image rooted in their minds.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you give in now on this, get ready to give in on a lot of things.

Maybe make some compromises, but now is the time to learn how to say "do you want me to demand all sorts of fundamental changes of you?"

"I like lingere, dinner made, house kept, bla bla bla."

But if you capitulate and don't gain some of your own ground, or put your foot down and lead, this will define the tenor of your marriage.
View Quote
She has an extensive lingerie collection and it’s own dresser. Cooks like a French chef, house is immaculate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I would not worry about it OP. It will either work out or it won't.

What is wrong with wearing nice clothes?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Too bad OP did not see the quicksand he now finds himself in before the wedding...
View Quote
If looking like I’m not one of the poors anymore is important to her, than I’ll happily make her more comfortable.  I’m just trying to figure out how far I need to take it.  My family never took fashion seriously. Maybe looking nice is actually a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

She has an extensive lingerie collection and it's own dresser. Cooks like a French chef, house is immaculate.
View Quote
Then pop that collar, Buffy!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top