Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 2:29:38 AM EDT
Broke my leg and ankle so I sleep in the bedroom on the main floor.... forgot about the moon. Anyway, I got a kick out of how bright it is.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just to show how tall those stupid windows are...I can stand up a 12' ladder in this room. Pic looks a little scary.

Attachment Attached File

Moon light shining on opposite wall...I think Melissa Ethridge showed up.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
That's no moon......
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
moons out goons out..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
M-O-O-N, that spells bright.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
It's cool to look up and see stars from inside when it's 25 out, but between 11-1 it's brutally bright during this phase.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Bright? You're going to loose your shit when you see what comes next...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bright? You're going to loose your shit when you see what comes next...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Get well soon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
A few times ive read by moonlight.
Go outside on a night with a full moon and a clear sky.
Sit out there for a while and let your eyes adjust.
I had no problem reading a book by that light.
Pretty crazy when you think about the distances and physics of the suns light reflecting off the moon...and the earth being simply washed in a reflection of light...and its enough to function by.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Excerpts from Larry Niven's Sci-Fi short story, 'Inconstant Moon.'

"“Inconstant Moon” by Larry Niven begs the questions: If this was your last night on Earth what would you do? More importantly, who would you choose to be with?
“What I wanted was someone who would join my…farewell party without asking the wrong questions.” – Stan

This story begins in San Diego, California late one night when Stan notices that the moon is alarmingly bright. Its glow is dimming the street lights, it’s bright enough to read by and getting brighter by the minute. He can’t even see any of the stars because the moon is outshining everything.

Stan mulls over the facts: moonlight is reflected sunlight, therefore if the moon is becoming brighter, it must be because the sun is getting brighter as well (aaaahhhh, said the audience in shared realization). But the sun getting brighter could only mean one thing: it’s going nova.

The nova shock wave would have had to travel about four thousand miles – at least a five hour trip from the pole. However, none of Stan’s predictions are coming true. Based on what’s happened so far, he realizes it wasn’t a shock wave after all. It was a solar flare.

A full-force hurricane has hit, and all they can do is wait it out.  By morning the hurricane is still howling outside. Stan takes note of how little food he and Leslie have stored up, only enough for a week at the most. The flooding will make it nearly impossible to venture out into the city, and the destruction will have been catastrophic by now.

Last night life had been simple. The world was ending, there were mere hours left of their lives, and he and Leslie were happily running throughout San Diego seizing the moment. Now Stan was wishing it had been a nova after all. From now on life will be much, much worse than having been killed by the nova before sunrise.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A few times ive read by moonlight.
Go outside on a night with a full moon and a clear sky.
Sit out there for a while and let your eyes adjust.
I had no problem reading a book by that light.
Pretty crazy when you think about the distances and physics of the suns light reflecting off the moon...and the earth being simply washed in a reflection of light...and its enough to function by.
View Quote

Now that my oldest is really into astronomy I think about this stuff a lot more. Well, that and the Pluto isn't a planet thread.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The moon is bright and I'm half tight, and life is just beginning. I can't go fishing with you Jake, because I'll be out chasing women...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#12]
How did I make a Melissa Ethridge and moonlight joke and it fell by the wayside?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How did I make a Melissa Ethridge and moonlight joke and it fell by the wayside?
View Quote

Some of us don't want to revisit traumatic memories of large bull dykes in herds.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Excerpts from Larry Niven's Sci-Fi short story, 'Inconstant Moon.'

""Inconstant Moon" by Larry Niven begs the questions: If this was your last night on Earth what would you do? More importantly, who would you choose to be with?
"What I wanted was someone who would join myfarewell party without asking the wrong questions."  Stan

This story begins in San Diego, California late one night when Stan notices that the moon is alarmingly bright. Its glow is dimming the street lights, it's bright enough to read by and getting brighter by the minute. He can't even see any of the stars because the moon is outshining everything.

Stan mulls over the facts: moonlight is reflected sunlight, therefore if the moon is becoming brighter, it must be because the sun is getting brighter as well (aaaahhhh, said the audience in shared realization). But the sun getting brighter could only mean one thing: it's going nova.

The nova shock wave would have had to travel about four thousand miles  at least a five hour trip from the pole. However, none of Stan's predictions are coming true. Based on what's happened so far, he realizes it wasn't a shock wave after all. It was a solar flare.

A full-force hurricane has hit, and all they can do is wait it out.  By morning the hurricane is still howling outside. Stan takes note of how little food he and Leslie have stored up, only enough for a week at the most. The flooding will make it nearly impossible to venture out into the city, and the destruction will have been catastrophic by now.

Last night life had been simple. The world was ending, there were mere hours left of their lives, and he and Leslie were happily running throughout San Diego seizing the moment. Now Stan was wishing it had been a nova after all. From now on life will be much, much worse than having been killed by the nova before sunrise.

View Quote
One of the best episodes of The Outer Limits 90's revival was Inconstant Moon
Daily Motion
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the best episodes of The Outer Limits 90's revival was Inconstant Moon
Daily Motion
View Quote

Thanks for that.  I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:Just to show how tall those stupid windows are...I can stand up a 12' ladder in this room. Pic looks a little scary.
View Quote

Cat with 12' tree scoffs and laughs...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Pain medicine and a full moon, life is good!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Thee cheeldrun...... uff dee night......vut sveet music dey make......
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some of us don't want to revisit traumatic memories of large bull dykes in herds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a good laugh out of that!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Just to show how tall those stupid windows are...I can stand up a 12' ladder in this room. Pic looks a little scary.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/Screenshot_20210124-095133_Gallery_jpg-1794448.JPG

Wow! So you can walk under that ledge? Is there a door there or just huge windows?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Used to cross country ski under the full moon when I lived up in the high country.  Trippy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wow! So you can walk under that ledge? Is there a door there or just huge windows?
View Quote

Just giant bay windows with the ledge.  No door.  Ceiling is 14 feet at the wall and slants up to about 18 feet at the other end of the room.

The black and white cat in the picture loves that ledge. He's the only one of the three cats that can get up there, so that's his private space.  The ledge is exactly 8 feet off the floor.  You can see his food dish on the right.  I'm just tall enough (6' 2") to be able to grab it and refill it without needing a boost.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#23]
it's still waxing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#24]
[clap-clap-clap-clap!]

Deep in the heart of Texas....????

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Just like a Quiznos rat, I too love the moon.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just giant bay windows with the ledge.  No door.  Ceiling is 14 feet at the wall and slants up to about 18 feet at the other end of the room.

The black and white cat in the picture loves that ledge. He's the only one of the three cats that can get up there, so that's his private space.  The ledge is exactly 8 feet off the floor.  You can see his food dish on the right.  I'm just tall enough (6' 2") to be able to grab it and refill it without needing a boost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty cool. We looked at getting blinds for those windows and the guy laughed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Shift work for 5 years... totally get it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#28]
it was late last night when i saw your pics, but the original two pics were spooky.

its kinda cool because there are hardly ever any pictures like that (pitch black room back lit through a window by that bright of moonlight).

i hope you recover soon but thank you for the great pictures.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's pretty cool. We looked at getting blinds for those windows and the guy laughed.
View Quote

Minus the tree, but still with the cat...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/Screenshot_20210124-095133_Gallery_jpg-1794448.JPG

Lol

My 12' tree.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:25:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Last night it was crazy bright. Tonight a fog rolled in, so can't tell.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Laughs in 8' ceiling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Laughs in 8' ceiling.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:20:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minus the tree, but still with the cat...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145716/20210124_232739_jpg-1795790.JPG

That's a pretty room
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Lol, how did you ever come across that video?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Moons out goons out!

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Spongmonkies were the big thing two decades ago. Quiznos used them in commercials for a while.
Quiznos Spongmonkeys We Love The Subs ad
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Spongmonkies were the big thing two decades ago. Quiznos used them in commercials for a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPTZWhz46M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPTZWhz46M

Yup. Some of the original meme characters before "meme" was even used in that context.

That's some freshman year of college shit for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Now that my oldest is really into astronomy I think about this stuff a lot more. Well, that and the Pluto isn't a planet thread.
View Quote

When you stop and really think about the relative motion of the stars overhead, it becomes quite dizzying.  Movements above or below the plane of the ecliptic are easy enough, somewhat.  But, now take something that runs oblique to that, like the Milky Way ... and this is were things start to get really trippy ... for me, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

that's been on the internet since at least the early 2000s, possibly late 90s.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's older than youtube by a few years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Black dog barking,
Do he bite?

Kill my landlord
Kill my landlord

Smash his place up
Break his neck

Kill my landlord
What the heck?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Enjoy it with Neil Young's harvest moon.

Harvest Moon

Or do we not like Neil Young?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top