Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you don't think the feds have back doors into Apple you're foolish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

Microsoft doesn’t exactly have a bright, shiny history.  Nor does anyone in tech, really.

I may not like a lot of Apple’s political leanings, but Tim Cook has at least repeatedly, publicly, told the .gov to go fuck itself when it wanted backdoors installed.

I use both technologies with a sprinkling of Garuda Linux here and there.  Cult worship is for the birds.  Use what works when you need it.

If you don't think the feds have back doors into Apple you're foolish.

MS is no better and in many ways, is worse.

Again, use what works and do the best you can to insulate and protect yourself.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Addressed above.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah.

Microsoft doesn't exactly have a bright, shiny history.  Nor does anyone in tech, really.

I may not like a lot of Apple's political leanings, but Tim Cook has at least repeatedly, publicly, told the .gov to go fuck itself when it wanted backdoors installed.

I use both technologies with a sprinkling of Garuda Linux here and there.  Cult worship is for the birds.  Use what works when you need it.
View Quote
Let's be real, it's easy for Tim to tell the .gov that here because there's no real downside... Apple's profits aren't being risked and it's easy PR. Look at how Apple acts in China and Russia and you'll notice the second there's an actual threat to Apple's business all that privacy and human rights talk goes right out the window and Apple does what they're told to do.

I know that none of the tech companies are our friends, but nobody is as sanctimonious as Apple about how they care about you and your rights while at the same time kowtowing to shitty governments so they can keep selling their stuff there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Reason 5,762 Apple is better than all of your shitty hardware
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I loved my old Mac mini but it got slow fast.  Been wanting a new one to replace my 2009 Mac Pro but really want something that supports triple monitors.  I'll have to dig to see if the new one supports 3 monitors.

ETA: It does look like the M2 Pro supports 3 monitors!  Placing my order!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We mean real stuff, not FreeCAD and word.

I can run "business software", play games and run some form.of CAD on a raspberry pi too. Doesn't mean it's worth the effort.

My Mac experience is garbage and I have to experience it every day because my employer insisted on using the worthless systems for everything. Hell, they are wasting $3500 a deal right now to put new monitors and machines on desks so we can check email and surf the internet because that's all they are useful for in the environment I work in. Give me a raspberry pi (which I use more than the Mac on my desk) and let me spend the $3500 on getting a project done so production can continue and be more efficient.

They do shit like run windows in a VM on a Mac so it can communicate to a Linux box using the manufacturers software so we can program or send commands to a machine. Hell, I can't even write code for a $90 PLC on a Mac so they had to spend money on a POS Toshiba laptop with win 8 so we could back up and modify PLC code on the floor.

99% of what I do cannot run on a Mac. It could be written to run on a Mac but nobody cares to because industry uses windows and Linux.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes Mac can game, CAD and run business enterprise software.

Next question?

We mean real stuff, not FreeCAD and word.

I can run "business software", play games and run some form.of CAD on a raspberry pi too. Doesn't mean it's worth the effort.

My Mac experience is garbage and I have to experience it every day because my employer insisted on using the worthless systems for everything. Hell, they are wasting $3500 a deal right now to put new monitors and machines on desks so we can check email and surf the internet because that's all they are useful for in the environment I work in. Give me a raspberry pi (which I use more than the Mac on my desk) and let me spend the $3500 on getting a project done so production can continue and be more efficient.

They do shit like run windows in a VM on a Mac so it can communicate to a Linux box using the manufacturers software so we can program or send commands to a machine. Hell, I can't even write code for a $90 PLC on a Mac so they had to spend money on a POS Toshiba laptop with win 8 so we could back up and modify PLC code on the floor.

99% of what I do cannot run on a Mac. It could be written to run on a Mac but nobody cares to because industry uses windows and Linux.

Why is it Apples fault that your entire business is outdated and inefficient, from actual processes to management?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let's be real, it's easy for Tim to tell the .gov that here because there's no real downside... Apple's profits aren't being risked and it's easy PR. Look at how Apple acts in China and Russia and you'll notice the second there's an actual threat to Apple's business all that privacy and human rights talk goes right out the window and Apple does what they're told to do.

I know that none of the tech companies are our friends, but nobody is as sanctimonious as Apple about how they care about you and your rights while at the same time kowtowing to shitty governments so they can keep selling their stuff there.
View Quote

I won’t disagree; they aren’t exempt from criticism, but I do have to drop the below, and it made me glad to see.  Whether they still behave like this? I don’t know.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-grady-judd-lock-up-tim-cook-story.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I.came into this thread hoping the military armament corporation was gonna make a new ccw. I am leaving disappointed in myself for thinking i would see gun stuff jn gd
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 2012 MacMini and it’s still going strong, the HD is slow AF though, yes I know I can upgrade it. I only used it for storage/bu. RR ‘splained time machine to me in a thread and I do that now. I should toss the mm.

I like Apple products and the company. I just got ear pod pros gen2 and wow.

Windows blows.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I won't disagree; they aren't exempt from criticism, but I do have to drop the below, and it made me glad to see.  Whether they still behave like this? I don't know.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-grady-judd-lock-up-tim-cook-story.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't disagree; they aren't exempt from criticism, but I do have to drop the below, and it made me glad to see.  Whether they still behave like this? I don't know.

Like I said, they do behave like that here because they know nobody is actually going to arrest Tim Cook, and they know the government isn't going ban or restrict their sales. As soon as their profits are threatened though everything changes. Here's an article from a month ago, and there are many many more if you want to search, talking about Apple censoring apps in China, Hong Kong, and Russia at the behest of those governments.

Article

I'll repeat this so nobody gets the wrong idea... I know MS and Google and other tech companies aren't our friends either. My complaint about Apple is they make such a show here about how your privacy and human rights matter but at the same time they don't give even a tiny fuck about any of that stuff overseas when push comes to shove.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Like I said, they do behave like that here because they know nobody is actually going to arrest Tim Cook, and they know the government isn't going ban or restrict their sales. As soon as their profits are threatened though everything changes. Here's an article from a month ago, and there are many many more if you want to search, talking about Apple censoring apps in China, Hong Kong, and Russia at the behest of those governments.

Article

I'll repeat this so nobody gets the wrong idea... I know MS and Google and other tech companies aren't our friends either. My complaint about Apple is they make such a show here about how your privacy and human rights matter but at the same time they don't give even a tiny fuck about any of that stuff overseas when push comes to shove.
View Quote

Yeah, that’s fair.

I guess, for me, it circles back around to this: no tech company is really trustworthy, but in terms of hardware and performance, Apple undeniably killed it.  Now, with Parallels and Windows 11 (and also Linux if I want) I can run basically whatever I want on that hardware, provided the ARM architecture won’t boink it completely.   So far, pretty incredible.

Note - the Parallels idea came from another thread here recently; I forget the user who recommended it, but shout out to them for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Having had both multiple times over the years, the downsides and nerfed experience you get with the Mac ecosystem makes it not viable for me. Iphones are also a perfect example of planned obsolescence with batteries that take a dump after a couple years. Even the wife, no particularly tech savvy, is dumping iphones next time around because of it, she is on her 3rd iPhone in under 5 years while I'm at 9 years and still going on 2 androids. The original androids were awful but these are not them.

To be clear, windows sucks, but you pay more and get less with a Mac or any apple product. Their target demographics are different and the loyalty, as blind and stupid as some of it is, is very real.
View Quote

My MacBook Pro and my Dell work laptop which was a spec’Ed out model, both batteries swelled and died about the same time.

I got the Mac in late 2014

I got the dell in mid 2019

Both had their issue mid 21.

No one makes anything perfect

The Apple non upgradable hardware is pants on head as is their pricing structure for hardware upgrades

But Apple junk has lasted me far and away better than non Apple stuff. My iPhone 4 is still going. The HTC I had from the same time required a battery change a couple years in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not normally wade into threads like this……

but there is a set of users for whom a Mac definitely makes sense, if they like it – especially a number of creatives. When you're talking about things configured for those kinds of people, I think Mac is competitive price-wise with comparable offerings from other vendors. Especially with, the new M1 and M2 macs.

this article, with a focus on photography, and occasional sidebars on videography, is a good example of where the use case is very strong, in my opinion:

https://www.bythom.com/reviews--books/recommended-mac-hardware.html

if you're just looking for bang for your buck in nominal specs, especially for gaming, build your own Windows PC are the way to go. heck, most people's use would be handled by a cheap Chromebook or Windows PC.....

I for one had an intel mac for 10 years, and an M1 Mac mini now for three years, I think.  I've been quite happy.  I am now on my third iPhone in 12 years; the current one is three years old and still works fine. (I will only replace it if a newer phone has a substantially better camera + machine processing) I have not even reset the OS, which I really should do.....

That said, I just bought myself $100 ASUS laptop ($200 with RAM and SSD upgrade), because I will need specific Windows applications, and I'm very happy with its functionality for the price.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Half the time she's on her mac, she's vnc'ed into a windows computer.  There wouldn't be a mac in the house, but she likes all the gimmicks.  If I could get her to try android, she'd never go back.
View Quote

Heh.  I use my mac mini the opposite way.  All my laptops and desktops are linux.  I got the mac for the cases when I needed to run some software that wouldnt run right on linux.  The mac is plugged in out in my garage, connected to my CNC with a USB cable.  Most of the time when I use it, I'm sitting inside the house using nomachine to remote desktop into it.  

So far, the m1 chip has been fine.  Its not a computer I use daily.  I do use it or CAD, programming, compiling, python, and a bit of reverse engineering.  I do wish they'd carry more options at the store.  The only ones they stock are the basic bitch model.  If you want any upgrades like moar ram, moar storage, or the 10gbit internet, thats a special order and it ships from china in a month.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#16]
My kids have M2 MacBooks and they are nice, I really hate the keyboard though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's fair.

I guess, for me, it circles back around to this: no tech company is really trustworthy, but in terms of hardware and performance, Apple undeniably killed it.  Now, with Parallels and Windows 11 (and also Linux if I want) I can run basically whatever I want on that hardware, provided the ARM architecture won't boink it completely.   So far, pretty incredible.

Note - the Parallels idea came from another thread here recently; I forget the user who recommended it, but shout out to them for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

Yeah, that's fair.

I guess, for me, it circles back around to this: no tech company is really trustworthy, but in terms of hardware and performance, Apple undeniably killed it.  Now, with Parallels and Windows 11 (and also Linux if I want) I can run basically whatever I want on that hardware, provided the ARM architecture won't boink it completely.   So far, pretty incredible.

The hardware is great, minus a few enforced restrictions. I have an M1 MBA that I use occasionally but have more or less moved away from it for work stuff because they restrict docked multi monitor setups to the MBP line now. I really don't have the need for the processing power that the Pro or Max chips have and having to spend $2k minimum just to be able to run more than 1 external monitor is pretty lame. If they offered an M2 Air that could run 2+ external monitors and they got rid of that horrid notch (notice how many of their product photos hide it) I'd strongly consider buying one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got two of the older, Intel mac mini's running in the house right now. One is an older i7 server running Plex and another that's used as a desktop on the hobby side. Both were pulled from our office when we upgraded to the newer minis. Sure, they're not blazing fast even with 16GB ram and their older i7 and i5 chips but they get the job done and they're not Windows. Windows is hot garbage. When we removed official support for Linux in our corporate environment, the non-Mac guys got windows boxes and run VM's of Mint/Fedora. I still run a Linux server on an Intel NUC that I prefer to the Mac minis.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#19]
So is this not an M11A1 thread? Disappointed...
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I’m waiting to upgrade my two 2015 MBP’s to the M3 MacBook Air’s when they come out. I don’t need a current MBP and the M2 MacBook Air is already way more powerful than my current computers, so the M3’s will finally twist my arm enough to upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The hardware is great, minus a few enforced restrictions. I have an M1 MBA that I use occasionally but have more or less moved away from it for work stuff because they restrict docked multi monitor setups to the MBP line now. I really don't have the need for the processing power that the Pro or Max chips have and having to spend $2k minimum just to be able to run more than 1 external monitor is pretty lame. If they offered an M2 Air that could run 2+ external monitors and they got rid of that horrid notch (notice how many of their product photos hide it) I'd strongly consider buying one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article

Yeah, that's fair.

Nice.

I have an M1 16” pro that I plug a 49” samsung monitor into. Running my citrix stuff for my day job, plus chrome and a few other things, and parallels with Windows 11 on it with excel, outlook, visual studio in it.    Admittedly not the most extreme use case.  It’s buttery smooth and snappy and I know I can push it much further if I needed to.

Super impressed with the hardware.  Even if I’m compiling something or running a large query locally, or even a combination of things, it’s quite cool to the touch.

The only time I ever got the laptop to warm up was when I loaded steam and played Subnautica with maxed out settings.  It still, then, barely broke a sweat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I may be going crazy, but haven't M2 chips been in Mac minies for a while? I swear my brother bought one
with the M2 chip like a year ago. He's the artist, I'm the tech guy(obviously a low bar), so I was helping him with a new comp for his needs, and he wound up settling on apple, where I just ok'd it based on cursory research and thinking about it like a reasonable person

Is this brand new or am I confusing M1s with M2s based on if they make a ping?

Edit:maybe it was an M1, based on Wikipedia timelines
View Quote

It's an M1 chip.

I have the Mac mini with the M1. It has 16 gigs of ram, a terabyte hard drive and is running Ventura 13.1. I got it to replace my old iMac when the power supply died a year or two ago. I wasn't worth it to replace the supply. My oldest was waiting on the M2. He will be getting one.

EDTA: Forgot to mention, I pulled the drive from my iMac (500 gigs) and put it in an external case (everything I had on it was there) and use it as a second back-up for my stuff along with memory sticks. I also already had a Mac magic keyboard and mouse plus a second monitor I use for pallets, an external CD drive for my older files (still have about 100 blank CDR's), a power strip with 3 powered ports and 7 non-powered for externals (Printer, scanner, etc.).
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been in television production editing for 29 years and other than about 3 years it has been on Macs.

These edit programs are pretty demanding and I'm running 115 terabytes in multiple RAID5 enclosures, plus Photoshop and all of the various Microsoft office programs.

Those 3 years were on a PC and there was zero advantages but disadvantages, in my option, due to Windows file management system.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Would be really great again if you could upgrade the SSD and RAM yourself, like in earlier Minis. Guessing you still can't.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've seen no evidence of that, neither has industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Seems they target people that have apple accounts, because they expect some success from targeting people that have apple accounts.

I've seen no evidence of that, neither has industry.

I've had that happen and I do have an Apple account that I signed up for to get some free music from Pepsi years ago.

It's never had a device registered to it and I only still have it because there's no real reason to cancel it, just in case  I decide to use it in the future.

The kicker is all these calls assume you have multiple "vulnerable" devices on the account, but they have to ASK how many devices are registered to the account. Also, my current number isn't associated with the account in any way.

My guess, they're calling at random, because enough people have Apple accounts that they get lucky often. That's how all the other scams like this work.

Now, when they call, I act VERY concerned and tell them I have "at least 6" devices on the account, especially when they call when I'm about to leave work and I have a good solid half hour to screw with them. That's how "George S. Patton" rolls. They usually end up having very unkind things to say about me.

Thanks, Apple.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've had that happen and I do have an Apple account that I signed up for to get some free music from Pepsi years ago.

It's never had a device registered to it and I only still have it because there's no real reason to cancel it, just in case  I decide to use it in the future.

The kicker is all these calls assume you have multiple "vulnerable" devices on the account, but they have to ASK how many devices are registered to the account. Also, my current number isn't associated with the account in any way.

My guess, they're calling at random, because enough people have Apple accounts that they get lucky often. That's how all the other scams like this work.

Now, when they call, I act VERY concerned and tell them I have "at least 6" devices on the account, especially when they call when I'm about to leave work and I have a good solid half hour to screw with them. That's how "George S. Patton" rolls. They usually end up having very unkind things to say about me.

Thanks, Apple.
View Quote

Blaming Apple for that is like blaming your bank for existing when scammers call you pretending to be your bank and then offering to  "lower your interest rates" because they assume you have a credit card.

It's a numbers game. They'll claim you have X and if you don't you weren't a target anyways.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Nothing like making an Apple thread to get the Windows and Linux vegans to post.

I bought a Mac Studio because I could not wait any longer for the M2 Mini.  I have a stipend from work, it's part of my compensation.  Either I use it or I lose it, so I used it in 2022.  It's great, but I would have been better served with a Mini.

I do hobby CAD on it.  I am in the learning phase.  The first phase of learning.

I do plan on getting the M2 Mini as well.  I just do not know when.

I am looking for a capable 5k monitor, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on the Apple display or the comparable LG display (currently I have an LG ultra fine 4k).  I see the value (again, for me) in the M2 Mini and the Studio, but not in the displays.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Are you able to upgrade components or is everything soldered in so you have to pay extra for a meager upgrade?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
All I know is that when I convinced my parents to ditch their pc about 10years ago and go to iPads I haven’t had more than a couple of tech support incidents.

The shit just works and if it doesn’t it’s easy enough for them to figure out.  Heck I watched my dad intuitively use an iPad without being taught and never having a touch screen anything before.

And that’s a guy who couldn’t grasp that his email couldn’t be [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nothing like making an Apple thread to get the Windows and Linux vegans to post.

I bought a Mac Studio because I could not wait any longer for the M2 Mini.  I have a stipend from work, it's part of my compensation.  Either I use it or I lose it, so I used it in 2022.  It's great, but I would have been better served with a Mini.

I do hobby CAD on it.  I am in the learning phase.  The first phase of learning.

I do plan on getting the M2 Mini as well.  I just do not know when.

I am looking for a capable 5k monitor, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on the Apple display or the comparable LG display (currently I have an LG ultra fine 4k).  I see the value (again, for me) in the M2 Mini and the Studio, but not in the displays.
View Quote

I'm an big Apple fan but I won't shell out the cash for their displays or mice, or a few other things. Look at Samsung or Benq for monitors.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Yeah, thread didn't deliver.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Once you add any decent options to it, you are well into the price range of the Mac Studio. Might as well get that instead.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
All I know is that when I convinced my parents to ditch their pc about 10years ago and go to iPads I haven’t had more than a couple of tech support incidents.

The shit just works and if it doesn’t it’s easy enough for them to figure out.  Heck I watched my dad intuitively use an iPad without being taught and never having a touch screen anything before.

And that’s a guy who couldn’t grasp that his email couldn’t be [email protected]
View Quote

My email is [email protected] - could be .com but I didn’t want to pay the premium for it.

But yes, I told my family long ago I don’t do pc support. They all use macs and iPhones and I don’t have to fix them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#35]
At least with the Mac Studio you get an SD card slot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They do shit like run windows in a VM on a Mac so it can communicate to a Linux box using the manufacturers software
View Quote

Their software that talks to a linux server only runs on Windows?  That's not a Mac problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

SD card slot has returned on pros.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's kinda funny.  The Windows guys are everything they accuse the Mac guys of being.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally none of this rant has any relation to reality whatsoever.

It's kinda funny.  The Windows guys are everything they accuse the Mac guys of being.

Perhaps you have missed the part where I said I have owned both. Perhaps you also missed the part where I also hated on Windows. Perhaps you are acting a wee bit dramatic categorizing that as a rant.

Whatever the case may be, carry on. You certainly know best.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Once you go Mac, you never go back
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t know if I’ll completely jump ship, but hot damn if Windows 11 on it isn’t handling damn near everything I need it to, and more smoothly!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've gone back and forth with Linux, MacOS and Windows. I hate all 3 of them for different reasons.

My main rigs are only going to run Linux from here on out. I thankfully don't need to use SpywareOS except on a work desktop.

I see zero reason to go back to Apple since they implemented their "we will scan everything on your drives" nonsense which is a shame because I was considering M chip devices with a barebones iCloud account for my laptop and desktop but fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've gone back and forth with Linux, MacOS and Windows. I hate all 3 of them for different reasons.

My main rigs are only going to run Linux from here on out. I thankfully don't need to use SpywareOS except on a work desktop.

I see zero reason to go back to Apple since they implemented their "we will scan everything on your drives" nonsense which is a shame because I was considering M chip devices with a barebones iCloud account for my laptop and desktop but fuck that noise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, this rant has no connection to reality.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Again, this rant has no connection to reality.
View Quote

Welcome to GD, lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, which is nice.

It's just sad that my 2012 Mac Mini has an SD card slot, but this latest Mac Mini doesn't have one.  Yes, I know you can buy an adapter, but I hate they took it away on the 2018 Mac Mini (and later) models.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

c'mon man, this is sad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I've gotten back into Linux after many years.  If all you need is an office computer, it will do everything you need cleanly on half the computer, right out of the box, for free.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've gotten back into Linux after many years.  If all you need is an office computer, it will do everything you need cleanly on half the computer, right out of the box, for free.
View Quote

Yeah, I agree this.  Not for all distros, but we’re not in the Slackware days anymore.  Lots of good options for people completely new.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

It might do everything you need. That’s not the case for most people. Linux is not now, has never been, and never will be a desktop OS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, I agree this.  Not for all distros, but we’re not in the Slackware days anymore.  Lots of good options for people completely new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slackware is linux in its purest form. I use it for build VMs all the time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Slackware is linux in its purest form. I use it for build VMs all the time.
View Quote

I enjoyed tinkering with it, but I admit, I prefer a “friendlier” distro. Lately I’ve been tinkering with Garuda - the KDE Dragon version is nice to look at.  I do not have any hardcore use cases for it, though.  Just fun to mess with.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top