Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Any tips on where and how to start a Keto diet?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't eat carbs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I asked the health coach we have at the office about the keto diet, and she said, "Oh God, don't do it!" and sent me some PDFs on how it's not good for you.

at this point, I think you can find info for an against absolutely everything.  
View Quote
This is based on 1977 pseudo science.  Lots of people believe it.

Bought and paid for by Big Agri and Big Pharma.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good pictures. But I think it's really another fad diet. Losing weight is all about eating right and exercise.
View Quote
Nice try!  Well trolled.

NSIS but most people who succeed on keto have tried it the way you describe, and they failed.

Keto changes things, because it helps you keep insulin low.  Kills cravings, reduces fat production.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would like to know what kind of diet people have BEFORE they go on KETO.

I know a guy who went from eating nothing but doughnuts, cookies, candy, and junk food all the time......to eating healthy "normal" portions sized meals and dropped 50lbs less that 6 months.

Not saying KETO doesn't work......but eating healthy in general is going to be 10 times better than eating junk all the time.
View Quote
I was eating primarily rice, vegetables, and chicken every day. You would think that would be healthy, but I never dropped a pound eating that way. I started losing weight almost immediately after starting keto.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know a guy who went from eating nothing but doughnuts, cookies, candy, and junk food all the time......to eating healthy "normal" portions sized meals and dropped 50lbs less that 6 months.

Not saying KETO doesn't work......but eating healthy in general is going to be 10 times better than eating junk all the time.
View Quote
Two things:

1.  Your friend's approach is manageable for people whose metabolic damage is not yet of epic proportions;

2.  It requires more willpower for MOST people, because keeping the carbs will mean keeping the cravings.

Oh, AND:

Your friend's approach also tends to lower metabolic rate; keto (and fasting) keeps BMR higher.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was eating primarily rice, vegetables, and chicken every day. You would think that would be healthy, but I never dropped a pound eating that way. I started losing weight almost immediately after starting keto.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  Whole grains, brown rice, turkey, chicken, vegetables, yogurt, no sodas, etc.

Not saying I didn't ever eat anything unhealthy (not saying I never eat anything unhealthy NOW) but the majority of our diet was *healthy*.

Because I couldn't lose weight I'd bought into the whole *your body has a set point weight and it's almost impossible to get under it*.  I never dreamed I'd be able to lose weight eating MORE (and more *unhealthy*) food.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
19 yrs as a military wife.
View Quote
She is a good looking lady. She (and you) should be proud.

That said...for her to pull her end on 19 years while you were busting ass.... 19 damn years as an Army wife is serious business.

Who cares what the woman looks like? For you two to make it that long....You've got solid gold right there. Serious as a heart attack.

Congrats to you and her.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice...I'm back on the wagon as of today.

I was low carb for about 4 years and was happy as hell. Felt great and full of energy.

Jan 2017 I fell while working and was out of work for a year. Lots of stress with comp and will I ever go back to what I was doing and the inability to be as active as before.

Sitting around for a year did not help me.

I don't weigh myself but figured I've packed on 30lbs or so and don't feel comfortable in my clothes.

Its actually quite easy to eat this way. It does become a bit of a game to me and when your clothes start to loosen all the better.

Thanks for the post.

Congrats to the wife.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice try!  Well trolled.

NSIS but most people who succeed on keto have tried it the way you describe, and they failed.

Keto changes things, because it helps you keep insulin low.  Kills cravings, reduces fat production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good pictures. But I think it's really another fad diet. Losing weight is all about eating right and exercise.
Nice try!  Well trolled.

Yea my wife doesn't exercise, unless sex 3-4 times a week is considered exercise
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That said...for her to pull her end on 19 years while you were busting ass.... 19 damn years as an Army wife is serious business.

Who cares what the woman looks like? For you two to make it that long....You've got solid gold right there. Serious as a heart attack.

Congrats to you and her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
19 yrs as a military wife.

Congrats to you and her.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Consult a dietician? I haven't found one yet that would recommend that sort of diet...
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Consult a dietician? I haven't found one yet that would recommend that sort of diet...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a good enough reason to not consult dieticians to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yea my wife doesn't exercise, unless sex 3-4 times a week is considered exercise
View Quote
I don't know of any 90 second exercise plans....................
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know of any 90 second exercise plans....................
View Quote
High Intensity Interval Training?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#17]
wondering why people say not to stay on keto forever? ive been on since June and my renal function is perfect. my total cholesterol was elevated at 237 but my HDL was 70 and my triglycerides were 59. really hard to beat those numbers. plus im down around 50 pounds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:58:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad you’re enjoying retirement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
wondering why people say not to stay on keto forever? ive been on since June and my renal function is perfect. my total cholesterol was elevated at 237 but my HDL was 70 and my triglycerides were 59. really hard to beat those numbers. plus im down around 50 pounds.
View Quote
They don’t want to be wrong for believing what they have believed for years.

They fear it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:15:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, we made some before pics but they are bikini pics and not pleasant to look at.

Yea I am a lucky man, i knew she loved me when we met as I was a broke single guy with a 3yr old. She even paid off my truck after looking at my bank account one day. She told me I suck when it comes to money.

As far as the diet our entire family is on it, the only sweets in our house is chocolate milk mix, and cereal for my 10yr old son.

I miss the bread, but I still have my sodas so its not that big of a deal. we had bacon wrapped roast tonite

I still have a burger every now and again, but I am naturally skinny (178lbs 6' 2"). and if I have a burger its when i am not around the wife, she has burgers just not on the bun.

Simple diet as long as you stick to it.
View Quote
Yep.

Bacon wrapped meat loaf (hamburger with almond meal instead of oats to hold it together) with a side of garlic mashed cauliflower (add sour cream and butter FTW) and sauted spinach is an awesome keto meal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If a person goes off it they will be eating like they did before.

It's like the alcoholic who stops drinking and then thinks he can just have one or two drinks a week.

It doesn't work like that , he will be at the same level of drinking within a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's what OP's wife did, just in a specific way. And clearly it worked.

It's like the alcoholic who stops drinking and then thinks he can just have one or two drinks a week.

It doesn't work like that , he will be at the same level of drinking within a month.
DING DING DING!  That's a bingo.

Carbs are addictive, at least as far as I'm concerned.  I was on a keto diet fairly strictly last summer and did well, losing 20 pounds in 6 weeks.  Then we went on a cruise and then my birthday and then the holidays came.  While I didn't go absolutely insane with carbs, I have been completely off "keto" for about 6 months and managed to only put 5# back on.  I must say with just those 5#, I feel like crap.  I'm starting again this week.  I just have to go to the store and stock back up on the right things.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good story, stay healthy.

In 6 weeks, I've lost 24 lbs, heading down from 6'4" - 316 lbs, hoping to get down to two-fitty.

What's happened to me -
  • Not sleepy after meals
  • Sleep well at night
  • Take multi vitamins
  • Add some magnesium for regularity
  • Drink Sole (salt water, 3-4 tbsp day) to avoid cramping
View Quote
Important to keep your potassium intake up, because not eating as many of certain veggies can slowly deplete your K.  Switching to Morton's "lite salt" will help tremendously.  I add it to my drinks (water, a squirt of Mio and a shake of lite salt).

I also use (thanks, ARFCOM for getting me to using this) Lyte Show.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
www.ruled.me

Keto Calculator on that site is good, plus recipes.  You can, but don't need to sign up to use most of the site.  Most of us use the myfitnesspal.com for meal tracking.  Not essential, but makes it easier to keep track of what you're putting in, and most importantly, just how many carbs and especially hidden carbs there are in everything, including possibly the worst thing ever made, HFCS.

It's almost like it's a conspiracy by big gummint, big agro and big pharma to keep everyone eating mostly carbs to promote diabetes, cancer and hypercholesterolemia so that we can all be on drugs.  No, that would be insane, wouldn't it?

Interesting blog by a guy who made a documentary busting a lot of the things we take as settled dietary science which are really just BS:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you're doing it right, it is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Two questions regarding a Keto diet:

1. Can you use this diet while trying to increase muscle mass?

2. Is there any truth to the body "smell" I have heard people complain about with a Keto diet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Two questions regarding a Keto diet:

1. Can you use this diet while trying to increase muscle mass?

2. Is there any truth to the body "smell" I have heard people complain about with a Keto diet?
View Quote
Breath can have a sweet smell, but will eventially go away as your body becomes more efficient at using ketones.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Lookin' Great at 48!!! Better than most lazy azz women at 25. Tell her Job well done.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hell yeah it does. Its the fastest method of dropping body fat  quickly I've found too. More so than starving yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

Good for your wife. Cutting junk out with keto really works.
Hell yeah it does. Its the fastest method of dropping body fat  quickly I've found too. More so than starving yourself.
I'm 38, and was 214 pounds at Christmas last year when I decided to make a change.  I did a lot of research and decided to go the Keto route, in the process dropped 23 pounds of weight over the course of a little more than a month, then started a resistance weight and strength lifting program and put on almost 2 pounds of lean muscle.  My current weight right now is 192 pounds.

I have a better physique now, and lower body weight than when I EAS'd from the Marines in my 20s.

Pretty much any diet that restricts calories will result in body fat reductions, the trick is to ensure your protein requirements are met so you don't oxidize muscle tissue in the process.  It's simple math, Calories In, Calories Out, regardless of the diet.

Keto works because carbs tend to be calorie dense foods, and easy to eat in large servings because we tend to underestimate how much we ate.  My advice to anyone looking to either lose or gain weight, to look at the various TDEE calculators, and track (down to the ounce) everything you are eating.  It makes it so much easier to plan, and see the direct correlation to what you are putting into your body, and how your body responds to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So why go off it?

You change your diet and get thin and healthy----what's the impetus to go back to eating, looking and feeling like crap?
View Quote
This.

There is no advantage to going off it at all. Just add a little resistant starches to feed your gut and you're good to go.

You should be doing that anyway though. It's really easy, get some green banana flour, acacia root powder, or eat raw potatos or something. Add inulin to your coffee.

If you can do it a year you can do it 50 years. There are plenty of healthy keto friendly foods, you can get much more vitamins than from gobbling empty starchy and sugary calories.

It's a myth that people have been starch gobbling their entire existence. That way of eating is a relatively recent phenomenon. And you can do without sugary sodas forever.

I recently say a big sugar "PSA" about how "natural" sugar is and how good for you it is. These people should be in jail.

There's your cereal killers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Congrats to you both!

A few lessons I learned that made Keto easier to stick with.

1. Eliminate artificial sweeteners and Keto baked goods that simulate carb treats. Artificial sweeteners make me want to eat more.

2. Eat the best High quality fatty proteins like ribeye steaks and wild salmon.

3. I have no appetite most of the day even when cooking now. Transitioning to one meal a day has been very easy.
View Quote
3.  That's the hardest part, I had to transition off a strict Keto (<20g net carbs daily) to a less strict low carb diet because I was having to force myself to eat enough protein to support my strength training program.  I just wasn't hungry enough to force down that much quality protein in the form of red meats and fish.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except, a Keto diet has been around since the 20s, and was, and still is, prescribed by pediatricians to help with pediatric epilepsy.

It is also used to treat Type 2 Diabetes.

That being said, any diet, that restricts caloric intake of any macronutrient (carbs, fats, and protein) will result in body weight reductions.

Simple math, if your maintenance calorie requirements for any day is 2000 calories, and you only intake 1800 calories, you will lose weight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Great job!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A person doesn't
The OP's wife looks great . It's a tough diet to stick to though . You get to your target weight and begin to think now I'm fine to indulge a little.
View Quote
Tldr: weigh yourself frequently and it won't happen.

Weigh yourself. Everyday. Yes there are normal fluctuations of a couple pounds but for the most part you stay within about a 3 pound bracket if you are near you ideal weight.

People into sports weigh themselves frequently. Of course when the low fat snackwell cookie fad came along so did tossing out the scale. People were told it didn't matter because fat weighs more than muscle.

And that's true. But most of the people I knew gorging on rice and smartwell cookies weren't gaining muscle. Women especially have been programmed to believe weight training will make them "bulky" and they only want to be "toned", whatever in the hell that means.

I've actually witnessed carb gobblers in the early 90's, when this silliness started, getting fatter and believing they were getting thinner. The mind is a powerful thing I guess and that's what advertising ains to do, convince you reality is different than it is. They sincerely believed they could "eat all they want" and not get fat. Somehow advertising convinced the western world that eating all you want was some kind of goal to aspire to.

The typical person, even a relatively active one, will get along fine avoiding carbs. Others can eat the small amounts they need with less frequency than is the current habit.

Just because you had a bun with a burger one time doesn't mean you are obligated to eat everything in sight. I never understood that mentality.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And the people who have done it for years? even on this site? Or those who add in more carbs later on for workouts or training in a more paleo esque diet?

Sure there are people who are on keto and say "I can eat whatever I want as long as it's drowned in fat." I doubt they would have success on any diet or way of eating.

It's about mindset. If you treat keto as a crash diet to get to your goal weight you're going to fail. If you learn about portions and how little food you actually need to feel full, etc, it can be incredibly beneficial, to say nothing of the metabolic and mental benefits.
View Quote
You said it better than I did.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Breath can have a sweet smell, but will eventially go away as your body becomes more efficient at using ketones.
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
First question...

What is your goal/s?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#39]
That's awesome, good for her!    I'm doing the keto diet myself, I'm down about 15 pounds for a month and half.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm on day 4 of my keto diet, I will admit I am definitely feeling a little weak. My normal hour at the gym turned into 45 minutes. I know this is normal in the beginning, so I'm sticking it out. But the Keto flu is real.

I'm going to try to drink some broth later and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Something not mentioned yet is a keto diet totally eliminates sugar crashes. People's diets are so horrible that they have sugar crashes between meals. On keto there's no sugar to cause a crash or withdrawal.

Your wife went from a BMI of 27.5 down to 20.9. Her doctor is going to be so proud.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Wife looks happy and healthy!

How has she been taking to having you more now that you have retired from the military?
Are you driving her nuts yet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Something not mentioned yet is a keto diet totally eliminates sugar crashes. People's diets are so horrible that they have sugar crashes between meals. On keto there's no sugar to cause a crash or withdrawal.
View Quote
Eating a carb heavy Standard American Diet I was very groggy and headache and body ache every morning. Like a very mild hangover just groggy. Waking up was really a bitch. Now I spring from bed energized and ready with hardly any grogginess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice work!

I want to show this thread to my wife, but she would just get pissed off.  She lacks the desire to stick with any healthy lifestyle change for long.
View Quote
Do you cook or have time to cook? How about grocery shop? If you can do both you have it made. Pick some of the Keto substitute recipes for what y'all already eat, get rid of the junk and carbs in the house by not replenishing it, make Keto deserts and you'll have her eating Keto before she knows what hit her. It's not a diet, it's a change of diet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Question:  I am borderline diabetic, and I have occasional low blood sugar episodes where I start to feel jittery and sick.  I drink a cup of juice, and in a few minutes, I'm good.

If keto is super-low carb, how does that play with blood sugar?  What do you do if your blood sugar gets low on keto?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's what OP's wife did, just in a specific way. And clearly it worked.

Speaking is absolutes does no good. Life is full of choices, including what someone eats...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't even know I was doing it.

I first cut out junk. Then "healthy whole grains" ie rice and bread, any empty calories.

Added more salads and more cooked vegetables. It was actually very easy. I felt better after the first week.

My last attempt included too many raw stuff in my salads which caused a diverticulitis flare. That took a long time to recover from.

I have been doing some reading up on gut stuff and inflammation so I've added some things to tweak for gut health.

For the first time in years my hands don't swell up. I don't fall all the time. I have energy. My weight loss has been slow but I don't have as much to lose, I don't see the point in racing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Question:  I am borderline diabetic, and I have occasional low blood sugar episodes where I start to feel jittery and sick.  I drink a cup of juice, and in a few minutes, I'm good.

If keto is super-low carb, how does that play with blood sugar?  What do you do if your blood sugar gets low on keto?
View Quote
Are you on any meds? Metformin etc? Best thing to do is consult your endocrinologist. Be sure they are monitoring your blood levels for cholesterol, triglycerides, A1C, proteins in your urine, etc. If you're having those kinds of lows, don't do anything without medical supervision.
That said if you go thru the main keto thread you'll read a number of posts where type 2 members were able to get off their meds. Don't go overboard and dive slam-bang into a diet change. Post future questions in the main Keto thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you're doing it right, it is.
View Quote
Especially if there is a trapeze involved....

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First question...

What is your goal/s?
View Quote
Lose beer guy (already quit drinking 2 months ago), hopefully help psoriasis and have more energy, sleep better. I am a pretty active guy, climb and workout in the winter and canoe, hike, mountain bike in the summer (600+ miles last year on dirt). Realizing that none of that matters if I am not puttin the correct fuel in my body.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top