Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Squatch] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Marie:
@Squatch

Cute kiddies!
View Quote
Thanks!

She was too young to get her OW certification, but PADI has a "Seal Team" program for 9-year olds.  She always rubs it in her brother's face...."yeah, but are you in the Seal Team?"  

Here's my son saying "hi" to Jesus.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Squatch:

Thanks!

She was too young to get her OW certification, but PADI has a "Seal Team" program for 9-year olds.  She always rubs it in her brother's face...."yeah, but are you in the Seal Team?"  

Here's my son saying "hi" to Jesus.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171820/9FC00250-3C1E-4056-875F-27273107D44F_png-708306.JPG
View Quote
Pennekamp?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Pennekamp?
View Quote
Yep.  Christ of the Abyss.

Unfortunately, the visibility went to crap really quickly.  Within a few minutes of getting in the water, we got a pretty good swell, which kicked up a lot of sediment.  We only spent about 20 minutes here, and then motored down to French Reef (previous picture). Apparently these northern reefs are iffy...the elbow, Grecian rocks, etc, tend to be more temperamental with tides and waves.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Squatch:
Diving with kids is the best.

Here's my son on his 11th birthday on French Reef.  I was amazed at how quickly he took to diving.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171820/Gabriel_jpg-708129.JPG

Here's my daughter at Morrison Springs in the FL panhandle.  9 years old in this picture.  We just swam around the shallow end of the springs looking at all the bluegills and bass.  Despite being a bit chilly, she took to the water like a fish.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171820/Alexa_jpg-708130.JPG
View Quote
I started diving with my dad- right after the new fangled single hose regulators came out.
Some of my best diving memories were with him.
Take 'em out often.

Ps- watch the bluegills. If they are anything like the ones we have here they like to nibble ears.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Did some diving off St. Croix earlier this month.   I took a GoPro knock off out and got some not great video of a lion fish capture and attempted feeding of a couple reef sharks.   Here is a couple of images. Sorry for quality.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Split fins? You’re gonna die!

Is the hairy one your son?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Split fins, one and all. Gonna wipe the family out!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#12]
On my birthday at the WI mine where I cave dive in the winter.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

So, the dry suit is calling me, after diving so much in fresh water where it's cold AF.

Tell me more!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
On my birthday at the WI mine where I cave dive in the winter.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279183/D1C63013-7F0A-4920-8FB4-49E434E90A85-2320829.jpg

So, the dry suit is calling me, after diving so much in fresh water where it's cold AF.

Tell me more!

Whatever drysuit you get, just know that some point you'll end up pissing in it.  Maybe the condom cath comes off, or you forget to open the bolt on the p-valve, or "I can hold it, it's just a quick dive, don't need to cath up" doesn't quite work out as planned.

So the best advice I ever read about drysuits: as soon as you get it home, before you ever use it on a dive...turn it inside out in your backyard and piss all over it.  Just go ahead and get it over with.  It'll happen eventually, so you might as well go ahead and do it now and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#15]

Tell me more!
View Quote

What’s your budget? My suit is a top of the line custom DUI FLX Extreme. $4100 in fall 2020. But I dive year round. I’d been eyeing that purple flames overlay for years.

And definitely get the p-valve. and dry gloves

Most people don’t spend as much as I did. But DUI is made in the US.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay, get the expensive one and pee on it.

I feel like I stepped in some weird subforum of kink.

Seriously, thanks for the info. I was diving on Saturday in ~60 degree water and it was getting cold.
View Quote

Custom is the way to go if at all possible. With DUI that adds maybe $700 onto the cost of the suit. However, if you can fit in a stock size, that will save you some money.

The guys over on ScubaBoard love a suit from the UK, called Seaskin. You can get a custom suit with a lot of extras for under $2K. Before all the recent price increases of everything, it was closer to $1500, I think.

That’s one option. And you definitely want to get the Kubi dry gloves.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay, get the expensive one and pee on it.

I feel like I stepped in some weird subforum of kink.

Seriously, thanks for the info. I was diving on Saturday in ~60 degree water and it was getting cold.
View Quote

When I was in my early-mid 20s, diving in 50F water in a 7mm two-piece was fun.

Now that I'm in my mid-30s....no thanks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]
It should have been a clue when my instructor was wearing a dry suit and side mounts.

Though, we did it in Nov in a spring.

I've only been diving for a year. Less than 50 dives. Late 30s
View Quote

Sidemount (singular, not plural). Lol.

I got OW and drysuit at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]

I didn't realize you could even do that.
View Quote

@bcauz3y

Where are you located??
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#25]
It should have been a clue when my instructor was wearing a dry suit and side mounts.

Though, we did it in Nov in a spring.

I've only been diving for a year. Less than 50 dives. Late 30s
View Quote

Interesting.  I feel an instructor for an Open Water initial cert class should be in a wetsuit, if the students are in a wetsuit.  Hard to determine how cold their students might be, if the instructor is in a drysuit and their students are in wetsuits.  The instructor who taught me that is a bit old school though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

Interesting.  I feel an instructor for an Open Water initial cert class should be in a wetsuit, if the students are in a wetsuit.  Hard to determine how cold their students might be, if the instructor is in a drysuit and their students are in wetsuits.  The instructor who taught me that is a bit old school though.
View Quote

And his instructor was diving SM, as well. That’s just weird for an OW class.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#27]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, that too!  Instructors (again, especially for basic OW cert checkout dives) should really wear the same style of gear as their students.  If the students are in jacket BCs, the instructor should be in a jacket BC.  If the students are in a bp/w setup, the instructor should be in a bp/w setup, etc.

Weird all around.

Kinda makes me wonder if they maintained instructor:student ratios...

Scuba police, reporting in!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah, that too!  Instructors (again, especially for basic OW cert checkout dives) should really wear the same style of gear as their students.  If the students are in jacket BCs, the instructor should be in a jacket BC.  If the students are in a bp/w setup, the instructor should be in a bp/w setup, etc.
Weird all around.

Kinda makes me wonder if they maintained instructor:student ratios...

Scuba police, reporting in!
View Quote

Appropriate except for the dupe sign.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top