Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bet all the SR-71 pilots were really bummed when it went away, too.

Would you rather fly an F-35B or an AV-8B? Hmmmm, let me think real hard about that one....

I don't question that it's good to fly. That's a technical question that I am not qualified to speak about with pilots. I question if it's $XXX million good, and if 90% of the job could be done at 50% of the cost with something else. Maybe it can, maybe it can't. Maybe we need, pardon the phrase "1800 F35s to go downtown Beijing" instead of 800 F35s and 1200 cheaper alternatives.

The F35 gets touted as an airborne quarterback. Why do we need a team on the field composed entirely of star quarterbacks?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the F35 pilots I know really like it and wouldn’t go back to their legacy jets if they had a choice FWIW

Would you rather fly an F-35B or an AV-8B? Hmmmm, let me think real hard about that one....

I don't question that it's good to fly. That's a technical question that I am not qualified to speak about with pilots. I question if it's $XXX million good, and if 90% of the job could be done at 50% of the cost with something else. Maybe it can, maybe it can't. Maybe we need, pardon the phrase "1800 F35s to go downtown Beijing" instead of 800 F35s and 1200 cheaper alternatives.

The F35 gets touted as an airborne quarterback. Why do we need a team on the field composed entirely of star quarterbacks?

What fighter can you buy that is half the flyaway cost of a current year F-35A?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, since Chuck Yeager didn't fly one...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We tried to do that years ago with the F20. Half the cost of an F16. Air Force shot it down because it wasn't their idea. If the AF designs it like they usually do it will cost more than an F35.
View Quote

The F-20 wasn't intended for Air Force service.  The project was for a cheap export fighter.  But between Carter export restrictions and the fact that most countries didn't want a poverty Falcon (if they weren't operating F-5s already) killed the program.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We tried to do that years ago with the F20. Half the cost of an F16. Air Force shot it down because it wasn't their idea. If the AF designs it like they usually do it will cost more than an F35.
View Quote

Plus the F20 was a piece of shit compared to the F16.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't mention that failure again. Pierre Sprey is a fucking moron and his "contributions" to the A-10 were only verbal support. He gets blown the fuck out of proportion responsibilities-wise by National Interest and retards that subscribe to Aviation Weekly.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know that stands out to me too.

The closest thing I've heard to that was an F35 pilot complaining about some of the design compromises. But he was rather vague about the details.

If people knew what the F35 was capable of then I think there would be less whining about it. Unfortunately that requires hours of dedicated research and instead people think of how much it costs and Hollywood movies where F35s keep getting reked by aliens, robots, alien robots and monsters that no military asset can ever be used effectively against.
View Quote

The biggest problem is that most people who are commenting wouldn't even understand the significance of what it *is* capable of if they really knew.

Without the requisite understanding of the key aspects of combat airpower, it is a lot like seeing the sheet music to Beethoven and only being able to count how many notes there are rather than actually hear the music.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I spent 3 years working in Navy acquisitions and partially with F35. I know how much of a shit show the procurement process has been. I think pilots and our military is much better off with it than without.
View Quote

This is definitely a case where multiple things are true at the same time.

The DoD acquisitions process, along with the contractors, has been a massive bag of fail AND the resultant product actually is pretty good for the roles it is/will fill.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because we want all those pink bodies inside the aircraft over the FEBA to come home safe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The F-20 was designed from the get-go as an export fighter.

So, no, the AF didn't buy any...and not "because it wasn't their idea."
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just buy Super Tacos and F15s (maybe add a coat of stealth paint).
View Quote

Adding a layer of "stealth paint" to your house won't make it anymore or less detectable to the radar environment either...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The biggest problem is that most people who are commenting wouldn't even understand the significance of what it *is* capable of if they really knew.

Without the requisite understanding of the key aspects of combat airpower, it is a lot like seeing the sheet music to Beethoven and only being able to count how many notes there are rather than actually hear the music.
View Quote

It is certainly capable and even revolutionary in its use of sensors, datalinks, pilot SA tools, stealth (when buttoned up), and so on. The sensor fusion coupled with the HMD is a generational leap even over the F-22.

However, we can't and shouldn't rely on our current ability to throw basically unlimited funding at the operational sustainment of a jet that is very, very expensive and difficult to maintain and upgrade. Other missions will suffer if F-35 continues to be a money sponge.

Don't even get me started on the whole concurrency debacle, which has already fragmented the F-35 into various submodels that are going to have to be upgraded substantially to remain (or even become) combat effective. The whole "let's just build 'em then fix them later" thing is crazy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a complete failure...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

And there's too many notes!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The F-20 was designed from the get-go as an export fighter.

So, no, the AF didn't buy any...and not "because it wasn't their idea."
View Quote

Do you guys remember the F-16/79? The Carter administration wanted a less capable F-16 for export - because reasons - so they replaced the P&W motor with an ol' GE J79. Goofy looking, just goofy overall.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you guys remember the F-16/79? The Carter administration wanted a less capable F-16 for export - because reasons - so they replaced the P&W motor with an ol' GE J79. Goofy looking, just goofy overall.
View Quote

I found out about that recently.

Things made 'For Export Only!' Can get kinda weird no matter what product we are talking about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

As I've said elsewhere I've been playing with the idea of writing a story about the F35.

Trouble is I can't get a handle on it beyond the scene where the two protagonists meet each other for the first time.

It could go in a dozen different directions, air combat, cyber-warfare, international espionage, corporate corruption. And given that most of my writing has a distinct psychedelic undertone I have a considerable desire to incorporate elements of what the helmet does into the story. Specifically the capability it gives pilots to see through their own bodies.

I don't want to sound like I'm simping for the F35. But I believe that it simply offers capabilities that no other piece of hardware on the planet comes close to. Despite the best efforts of the Chinese communists. And that the more people become familiar with those capabilities the more useful they will become.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What fighter can you buy that is half the flyaway cost of a current year F-35A?
View Quote

Fly away costs are generally something like 20% of life cycle costs, and that is probably understating the true costs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What is the A-10's purpose?
View Quote

It is a gun with wings.  
It so excells at it's mission I'm amazed about two things: no other country copied it and we aren't building more in a more modern version.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is a gun with wings.  
It so excells at it's mission I'm amazed about two things: no other country copied it and we aren't building more in a more modern version.
View Quote

Which mission is that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which mission is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a gun with wings.  

Which mission is that?
Extended loitering in a third world country with a 100% permissive environment.
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/an-a-10-pilot-could-hope-to-last-two-weeks-against-the-soviets-1ebff9bfa4df
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/an-a-10-pilot-could-hope-to-last-two-weeks-against-the-soviets-1ebff9bfa4df
View Quote

Kind of where I was going with that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Which mission is that?
View Quote

CAS. It was designed as a tank killer as a primary role and does it far better than any other aircraft. Excelling at killing tanks makes it good at taking out softer vehicles and ground troops.
Slow, tough and well armed. Fighters can't go as slow, loiter as long and if they get that low are at greater risk of damage.
Of course the A10 is dependent on air superiority and if there isn't dominance, fighters with precision munitions are the only CAS. Let's just be honest and admit it isn't the same level of CAS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

CAS. It was designed as a tank killer as a primary role and does it far better than any other aircraft. Excelling at killing tanks makes it good at taking out softer vehicles and ground troops.
Slow, tough and well armed. Fighters can't go as slow, loiter as long and if they get that low are at greater risk of damage.
Of course the A10 is dependent on air superiority and if there isn't dominance, fighters with precision munitions are the only CAS. Let's just be honest and admit it isn't the same level of CAS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which mission is that?

The real world =\= Battlefield 2: Armored Fury, FYSA.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sure there are Sumerian tablets out there somewhere claiming that the bow and arrow is an abject failure for warfare, you fire it and your arrow is gone, not like a spear!
Every weapon is declared a failure by naysayers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The A10 is great at fighting the wars we keep having and sucks at the ones we've never had.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The real world =\= Battlefield 2: Armored Fury, FYSA.
View Quote

I'm not a gamer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which mission is that?

A Javelin is better against modern tanks than the A-10

And the Bone is a better CAS platform, due in no small part to its sensors.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, since Chuck Yeager didn't fly one...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The A10 is great at fighting the wars we keep having and sucks at the ones we've never had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What is the A-10's purpose?
View Quote

High school I went to was just North of Camp Shelby’s air to ground range. In the late 80’s early 90’s A-10’s trained there, when they circled back around to make a run at the huge target on the AG range they were pretty low and passed over the school. Few seconds after they flew over you’d hear that “BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAP”...damn I wanted to fly one. If nothing else I imagine that sound would make nearly anyone in its path want to surrender pronto!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't know the Javalin was air launched. Are you saying the Maverick isn't good against tanks?  The Maverick is choice #1 for armor, the gun is the #2.

And the Bone is a better CAS platform, due in no small part to its sensors.

It does have the endurance.  I wasn't aware of the sensor platform.  Ground radar or more?
I know a retired B1-B pilot. He gets ribbed about doing "airshows for the enemy". If things aren't hot yet, ground would ask for an afterburner run. It tended to make people rethink who they want to fight.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are parts of the world right now where only a F35 could fly and have any hope of survival. Maybe a Raptor and B2 as well. S/A systems now are just too good. Now is it worth the cost and all the shenanigans that have occurred? No, but that is more a function of our completely corrupt government and DoD complex.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Ugh... now that all that money has been wasted on the F-35, the author wants to spend another $1.5 trillion+ to replace it???

Dude... F-16 Block 70/72 is gonna be zero development cost and almost certainly be vastly cheaper to operate.... and they actually work.

Or why not build more F-22s???  They actually work too.  Zero development cost that saves a sh!t load of time and money and will still be better than whatever these spendthrift idiots come up with 20+ years down the road.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I was involved in air weapons procurement, I would be looking at the A-10 and the A-6 Intruder as a baseline for an attack plane that could be.  Key data:  Payload and range.  weight of gun and ordnance.  Compare ordnance capacity of original aircraft against gunless version.  Calculate destructive power of gunless aircraft able to carry guided ordnance versus original aircraft where destructive payload is reduced by gun weight and propellant weight of shells as well as the waste due to high miss rate inherent with unguided shells fired from a gun.  Also consider, impact of gun aiming operations on attack versatility and combat range as well as increased vulnerability to aircraft.  First analysis would only consider current guided munitions.  Second analysis would consider optimizing guided munition sizes for armored and unarmored targets.  

I suspect that the gun is obsolete in comparison to a mix of missiles and guided bombs for a modernized attack/medium bomber.  Perhaps this has been done.

Once the analysis is complete, you have the option of further design developement on an aircraft and also using the munitions on existing aircraft.  I suspect the ordnance developments may preclude the need for the aircraft although, I have thought that the loss of the A-6 Intruder means we have an enormous hole in payload/range capabilities and mission flexibility.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ugh... now that all that money has been wasted on the F-35, the author wants to spend another $1.5 trillion+ to replace it???

Dude... F-16 Block 70/72 is gonna be zero development cost and almost certainly be vastly cheaper to operate.... and they actually work.

Or why not build more F-22s???  They actually work too.  Zero development cost that saves a sh!t load of time and money and will still be better than whatever these spendthrift idiots come up with 20+ years down the road.

View Quote

They really need to build more Raptors. I’d even open it up to Australia and maybe Japan to help offset the cost.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#37]
[b]Quoted:[/]

View Quote

Too late. We are coming up on a decade out of production, that is a very long time and too much is forgotten and / or no longer available.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I didn't know the Javalin was air launched. Are you saying the Maverick isn't good against tanks?  The Maverick is choice #1 for armor, the gun is the #2.

View Quote

The Mavericks useless if the launching platform is swatted out of the sky by an S400.

Not that any of it makes much difference. We lost Afghanistan and the GWOT and still would have lost even with 10,000 F-35s. We will continue to lose wars, even if we fight them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Seems that at least port of the AF has yet to realize that the
electronics on a modern plane (especially a fighter) are the
most expensive thing.

If they could standardize on more of the electronics across
multiple types of aircraft THAT would do a ow to reduce costs.

Some things have been standardized like radios.
There is some standardization in EW equipment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To all who are reading this and calling the author and idiot. Please learn how to read.

The USAF has publicly stated that the F-35A is still not combat ready despite decades of work on the JSF project. There literally hundreds of major problems with design of the aircraft and major systems are still not working.

So no after burner for you.

The F35 is not capable of supersonic intercepts. Think about that for a second. A 5gen fighter that can't do the very mission it was designed to do.

View Quote

Yeah, thats a pretty major defect!  Just looking at basic parameters like thrust/weight... its clear that F-35 is a "dud" as far as being a fighter jet.  F-35 might have fancy electronics... but its more like a 21st century version of the Brewster F2A Buffalo
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Adding a layer of "stealth paint" to your house won't make it anymore or less detectable to the radar environment either...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just buy Super Tacos and F15s (maybe add a coat of stealth paint).

What about two coats then?

Sheesh, do I have to think of everything?!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, thats a pretty major defect!  Just looking at basic parameters like thrust/weight... its clear that F-35 is a "dud" as far as being a fighter jet.  F-35 might have fancy electronics... but its more like a 21st century version of the Brewster F2A Buffalo
View Quote

Just... No.

It may look a bit chonky but it's not a Brewster Buffalo. They may be having trouble making enough engines for it but the F35s engine is essentially an F22 engine only more advanced. The entire tail moves, it can dogfight. But it doesn't really have to. It will "see you coming from a thousand miles away." The circumstances required to even get to a merge with an F35 are... Unlikely.

And even then, there are people who simp for the Buffalo. The Finns were able to use it to great effect. But that's the Finns, if there's anyone on this planet that could kill a dozen dangerous men with a pool noodle, it would be a Finn.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They really need to build more Raptors. I’d even open it up to Australia and maybe Japan to help offset the cost.
View Quote

Can't wait to see what replaces it as our air dominance fighter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

My money is on something entirely designed by artificial intelligence. Which means that it will come out looking damn weird.

Or something like this.

Attachment Attached File

Dassault's sketch for a Rafale replacement.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To all who are reading this and calling the author and idiot. Please learn how to read.

The USAF has publicly stated that the F-35A is still not combat ready despite decades of work on the JSF project. There literally hundreds of major problems with design of the aircraft and major systems are still not working.

So no after burner for you.

The F35 is not capable of supersonic intercepts. Think about that for a second. A 5gen fighter that can't do the very mission it was designed to do.

It’s not an interceptor.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My money is on something entirely designed by artificial intelligence. Which means that it will come out looking damn weird.

Or something like this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/383325/image_jpeg-1843677.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or something like this.

Maybe it will look like a flying vertebrae.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Is it creeping feature it is?

Like the Bradley?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or something like this.

View Quote

That same general design I've seen floated for our 6th gen. Weird.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Maybe it will look like a flying vertebrae.
View Quote

Fucking

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQB4W8C0rZI

I recall Pierre Sprey saying that we'd be lucky to build to 300 of those things.  So perhaps for the US Air Force he was correct.  Luckily there are international sales.

I think for the USAF the answer will be back to the future; like the 1990's stealthy niche fighters for day one to be used where stealth is necessary, then you have your day two fighters/missile and bomb trucks for everything else.  And then there's a need for prop planes like the Tucano for mud huts and cavemen.  I know, preaching to the choir...
View Quote

Thanks for posting this!  Classic interview.

A more recent interview:
Defence analyst Pierre Sprey on the F-35 (2012) - the fifth estate
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top