Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally know an insider extremely familiar with the top levels of the NRA.

He thinks nothing is wrong. He thinks Wayne is not at fault for anything and all accusations are made up lies to discredit the NRA.  It doesn’t matter what is said or what evidence is brought forward he is fully backing Wayne to the end.

It is like trying to convince a liberal of something. It doesn’t work. The minds are closed and the thoughts and opinions are set in stone.

The NRA will fold not because it couldn’t survive a transformation into a newer better organization. It will crash because the good old boys at the top are not going to change and will ride it into the ground.

It is sad. We definitely need a strong and effective pro 2nd lobbying organization.  What the NRA could have been will not come to be.
View Quote

Too emotionally invested, to see what is going on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I guess i'm just amazed and somewhat shocked at the downfall of this organization.  Is it incompetence or is it malicious from the inside?

It has to be malice, right?
View Quote

I think someone extremely rich and powerful has bought them out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an NRA flashlight. It only works half the time, but that is better then the NRA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck that scab WLP and the BOD.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No one should be shocked, it’s been in the works for decades.

It’s a combination of incompetence and greed within the NRA leadership, apathy in the membership and cheap and lazy gun owners.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess i'm just amazed and somewhat shocked at the downfall of this organization.  Is it incompetence or is it malicious from the inside?

It has to be malice, right?

No one should be shocked, it’s been in the works for decades.

It’s a combination of incompetence and greed within the NRA leadership, apathy in the membership and cheap and lazy gun owners.

I gotta give gun owners more credit than that.  I grew up among old timers for whom the NRA was the only hope for gun rights.  They had been conditioned to believe in the organization as THE advocate for the common gun owner.  Just like a lot of old timers just can't pull away from the belief that the Democrat party is the party of the working man, a lot of them also can't accept the fact that maybe they were sold a bill of goods for decades on just how effective and respectable the NRA might be.  

I can't say what the organization was like from its inception through the 1980's, but as soon as WLP became the head honcho I watched the organization seem to become about nothing but fundraising and token opposition to new gun legislation.  My dad  personally knew a guy in the 1990's who was embroiled in a gun controversy and the NRA egged him on with the promise they would back him up because of the importance of the case.  I forget what exactly it was about, but the NRA backed away when it became apparent they probably wouldn't win.  They left the poor guy hanging out to dry with a ton of legal bills.  Had he known the NRA was going to bail, he would have just taken his medicine and rocked on.  Again, I forget what it was about but I believe it was some kind of challenge to an FFL regulation or something similar.

I had forgotten about it until today when I started thinking about my dad's friends and their staunch support for the NRA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Goodfellas Restaurant Scene
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I gotta give gun owners more credit than that.
View Quote

I get what you’re saying, and why, but I see it this way:

There are 100 million gun owners in America

There were (recent years) max, 5 million NRA members

Mathematically, 95% of gun owners couldn’t bothered to lift a finger or spend two hot nickels to support gun rights

And they still can’t

Of those 5 million members, most didn’t even bother to vote in board elections. Been a while, but as I recall it it’s been like 150k votes mailed in

No one was holding the NRA accountable within the org

The argument will be that Wayne took over. And that’s valid

But no on really made a peep. Must gun owners didn’t know what happened or cared. They figured that the NRA was defending their rights and pissing off liberals

And have you been here long? When SAFE was passed half of GD would ridicule members in NY……. “Hurr durr, move to a free state. Elections have consequences. #NYvalues hurr durr.”

And same for people in CA. NJ. CT. MD. MA. etc etc etc

No one really noticed that millions upon millions of people were losing their rights and that the NRA was doing fuck all about it, until VT and CO and FL started having problems

Liberals knew LONG before gun owners that the NRA was useless and a paper tiger, which is why they shifted to state level gun control…….and started becoming more and more successful

And in point of fact: most people you see in GD bitching about the NRA have never been NRA members to begin with
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
So it’s kind of like the GOP? A bunch of scam artists maneuvered themselves into positions of power my pandering to the lowest, most common denominator inside a legitimate organization and took the money and ran leaving the people they were supposed to represent worse off than when they swindled their way into the people lives?

Damn shame they’re having hard time, though. Damn shame
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The NRA is dying?

Let them die (Star Trek II Wrath of Khan)
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
It a shame but not surprising. It’s your typical corrupt, bureaucratic, corporate BS you see all the time. The NRA was never that great at protecting gun rights they were just the largest. We have to remember they are largely responsible for the major national acts of gun legislation.

Long term the NRA dying doesn’t matter at all. The money (and membership) will eventually flow to others organizations like the 2nd amendment foundation, GOA etc. Hopefully those organizations will spend more time defending our rights and less time compromising (and calling me weekly to sell me crappy cheap Chinese trinket)
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
who cares what happens to Wayne's Club anymore?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought my lifetime membership meant my lifetime, not the NRAs.  

Right?
Same here. I ignored all pleas to up my life membership to the highest tier on the latest round of requests. Saw the writing on the wall. Doesn't discount the fact I paid full price in 1994 and more money to upgrade over the years.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Of those 5 million members, most didn't even bother to vote in board elections. Been a while, but as I recall it it's been like 150k votes mailed in
View Quote
I did not vote this year. Finally woke up to the fact that spending 55 cents or whatever was a waste since the board is stacked to win and support WLP. In the past I would vote for the outlier candidates and they would lose. The fix has been in for years AND the recent reappointment of WLP by the board at its secret meeting is proof of that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
They need to pivot into the wood furniture business.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why would he leave? The NRA has become his and his cronies personal fund.

This is how the oldest rights defender in the US ends. Taken over by corruption and incompetence and gutted by greed. It is like a microcosm of what is happening to the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Wayne would just leave.

Why would he leave? The NRA has become his and his cronies personal fund.

This is how the oldest rights defender in the US ends. Taken over by corruption and incompetence and gutted by greed. It is like a microcosm of what is happening to the US.

Too much truth in these words.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They just voted him back in.
View Quote
This...the bod re-electing wlp is a slap in the face to members whose membership dues this crook is using to line his pockets.

Hoping the nra dies a quick death.....

brownells and midway need to STOP sending donations to the nra.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I get what you’re saying, and why, but I see it this way:

There are 100 million gun owners in America

There were (recent years) max, 5 million NRA members

Mathematically, 95% of gun owners couldn’t bothered to lift a finger or spend two hot nickels to support gun rights

And they still can’t

Of those 5 million members, most didn’t even bother to vote in board elections. Been a while, but as I recall it it’s been like 150k votes mailed in

No one was holding the NRA accountable within the org

The argument will be that Wayne took over. And that’s valid

But no on really made a peep. Must gun owners didn’t know what happened or cared. They figured that the NRA was defending their rights and pissing off liberals

And have you been here long? When SAFE was passed half of GD would ridicule members in NY……. “Hurr durr, move to a free state. Elections have consequences. #NYvalues hurr durr.”

And same for people in CA. NJ. CT. MD. MA. etc etc etc

No one really noticed that millions upon millions of people were losing their rights and that the NRA was doing fuck all about it, until VT and CO and FL started having problems

Liberals knew LONG before gun owners that the NRA was useless and a paper tiger, which is why they shifted to state level gun control…….and started becoming more and more successful

And in point of fact: most people you see in GD bitching about the NRA have never been NRA members to begin with
View Quote

The sad thing is:  a lot of gun owners willfully vote Democrat even knowing it puts their gun rights in danger.

I got to where I couldn't stomach M4Carbine.net partly because of that faction.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The sad thing is:  a lot of gun owners willfully vote Democrat even knowing it puts their gun rights in danger.

View Quote
+1000....
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#19]
NRA attacked me for going after the Republican Committee Chair that killed Constitutional Carry this past session in FL.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Head in the trough right up until slaughter
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I did not vote this year. Finally woke up to the fact that spending 55 cents or whatever was a waste since the board is stacked to win and support WLP. In the past I would vote for the outlier candidates and they would lose. The fix has been in for years AND the recent reappointment of WLP by the board at its secret meeting is proof of that.
View Quote

This is the first year I didn’t vote either.

I mailed my ballot back to NRA headquarters with “Fire Wayne” written on it.

ETA and they weren’t doing a fucking thing for you and I anyway. Every year that I mailed that fucking vote in I shook my head. I’m behind enemy lines, why am I even bothering?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#22]
For years, literally the only reason I kept my NRA membership was to have an active competitor number to shoot highpower rifle and pistol matches.  Certain state championship matches and Camp Perry required you to be an NRA member.

With NRA's slow cutting away of anything not fund-raising to support Wayne's habits, even NRA participation and support at Camp Perry has gone away.  Their full-time competitive shooting staff (for all disciplines) is one person, now, I believe.  Maybe he-she has been dropped to part-time or contractor.

Our Army ROTC program got a one-time grant for half the equipment we asked for, and no kidding I was shocked that was approved.

No more.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]
As said previously, if you didn't get to read the thread in Team that revealed much of this months ago - you missed out.

Suffice it to say that things are much, much worse than what has made it into print about the NRA HQ.

-  Material lent to the National Firearms Museum returned to lenders rusted.
        -  Material lent to the museum "missing" despite being stored in locked cases and in the alarmed conservation laboratory.
        -  Major collections on loan pulled from exhibition at Fairfax, VA and Springfield, MO.
        -  Collection firearms being prepared to go to auction without approval by museum policy.

If you look at the Museum Facebook page, they've given up on responding when folks ask if the Museum is reopening. Hint: it's been eighteen months and every other museum in Virginia is open again - yet NRA claims COVID prevents their museum from reopening. Things got so bad at the Chantilly gunshow that the NRA museum staff (there's only one left) skipped it last time.

rongorongo
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know a guy that votes a straight Democrat ticket and is a big Beto O'Rourke supporter.  I have informed him on multiple occasions that Beto would have him taken away from his family & jailed and even killed if it came to that due to the legal firearms he currently owns.  He just shrugs his shoulders and has no comment.  If Beto runs for TX governor, the guy and his entire family will gladly vote for him again, no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As said previously, if you didn't get to read the thread in Team that revealed much of this months ago - you missed out.

Suffice it to say that things are much, much worse than what has made it into print about the NRA HQ.

-  Material lent to the National Firearms Museum returned to lenders rusted.
        -  Material lent to the museum "missing" despite being stored in locked cases and in the alarmed conservation laboratory.
        -  Major collections on loan pulled from exhibition at Fairfax, VA and Springfield, MO.
        -  Collection firearms being prepared to go to auction without approval by museum policy.

If you look at the Museum Facebook page, they've given up on responding when folks ask if the Museum is reopening. Hint: it's been eighteen months and every other museum in Virginia is open again - yet NRA claims COVID prevents their museum from reopening. Things got so bad at the Chantilly gunshow that the NRA museum staff (there's only one left) skipped it last time.

rongorongo
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Let's Go, Wayne!
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s dead Jim.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
At this point it is clear that more people than Wayne alone needs to go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It’s dead Jim.
View Quote

It was dead the second Trump told Congress they didn't need to be afraid of the NRA on National TV.

What's happening now is WLP, the Cat Lady with the Moe Howard Haircut, and their friends going through the corpse's pockets.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Negotiating Rights Away was doomed when Wayne, Inc. dug itself in like a tick. I honestly think the dude has always been controlled opposition since day one.

I got a clue whe i calculated the cost of my magazine subscription, gaudy ballcap and endless mailings per year summed to more than the $25 I'd send them. Guessing they fund WLP's wardobe through new lifers and benefactors.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
LaPierrra and should have fallen on his sword years ago if he gave a fuck about the survival of the NRA.
View Quote

$5k suits don’t buy themselves
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

it will be for some country without an extradition treaty.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Wayne could leave tomorrow and the NRA's still dead, it's entirely run by his sycophants that enabled this fraud. There's no brining this back unless the courts gut the NRA imo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem is way way deeper than Wayne. The org is irreparable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#37]
swire in to defend the nra in 3...2...1...
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#38]
"I keep waiting to hear that your membership dues were spent on hookers and blow. "

If it was just that, I'd be ok with it to a point,() , but, this stuff got outta hand years ago and they should have cleaned house, and taken the PR Hit years back when it would have been easier to deal with compared to now and the insane Propaganda Windfall the Left/Commies/Gun Grabbers/Enemy Politicians will jump on, use, and run with when it is very convenient for them to do so.

I think its time to kill it off and start over.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Good
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That alone won't fix it. The people who kept Wayne in power will just do the same thing in order to keep their own.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like the BSA
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's a psychopath. He sees nothing wrong, and sees himself as being above the law.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#43]
So how many of you have GOA or SAF memberships?  Other national or state 2A association memberships?

I've been a long time GOA life member and recently joined SAF.

Organization is crucial in fighting for our rights.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
swire in to defend the nra in 3...2...1...
View Quote
@Singlestack_Wonder

SWIRE and I have had our disagreements, but he is not supportive of the corruption within the NRA. He has openly stated over the years that the NRA needs fixing and the corruption is a major problem. He is not carrying their water nor that of Wayne and Co.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It was dead the second Trump told Congress they didn't need to be afraid of the NRA on National TV.

What's happening now is WLP, the Cat Lady with the Moe Howard Haircut, and their friends going through the corpse's pockets.
View Quote

It was dead before then. He just pulled part of their mask off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#46]
It’s a grift.  Has been for awhile.  Not the only “conservative” - or, for that matter, “liberal” - organization that does it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
NRA attacked me for going after the Republican Committee Chair that killed Constitutional Carry this past session in FL.

View Quote

That’s not shocking at all, considering some of the crap they have pulled
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#48]
The corruption is across all of society, globally. No one is going to fix it. No one has a clue how to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

It has to be far worse than one man now.

Stop and think about it - the people in the organization who know he is there, what he is doing, etc., and have not thrown him out and changed the culture to get rid of the problems.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#50]
There's an opportunity here for other gun rights organizations.

The GOA or others could offer those people with current life memberships in the NRA, a life membership in the GOA for the price of an annual membership.  Then they get to add tens of thousands of people to their membership count, and thereby increase their political clout significantly.  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top