Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2022 11:28:37 AM EDT
Just heard one of the Natives bring up something called "The Deer Lady."  It sent shivers up my spine.  I confessed to her a few years ago when coming down an old country gravel road at 3:00 in the morning a large deer slowly walked into the road about a hundred yards ahead of me. This normally shouldn't be alarming but it stopped directly at the edge of the road and seemed to be, for lack of better words, waiting for me.  I slowed to a crawling speed and proceeded towards this tall large deer.  When I got about 25 yards away it was trying to make eye contact with me, looking at me directly inside the car.  It's tail fluttered and twitched while its head bobbed much like your family dog would when you get home from work.  It was excited to see me.  I was perplexed.  As I moved closer my curiosity turned to fear.
The face of the deer had a distinct resemblance of a human.  It was flat and without a snout.  It had a small manlike nose and mouth but with dark almost black eyes.  It's face was pale and matched the fur on it's belly.  I was terrified.  I fixed my eyes on the road before me and mustered enough gumption to accelerate past the deer.  I could track its head following me through my peripheral vision as I passed.  I sped off watching it stand in the middle of the road in my rear view mirror.
A few other natives I have talked to told me to never look it in the eye and get away.  They told me skinwalkers are real.  Never go into the woods at night.  One man I spoke to about this straight up told me I would not be here today if I left my vehicle.  Pretty wild stuff man.

Any insight or references to lore about this would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop washing down Nyquil and Ambien with whiskey and you won't see it again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The tribe near my hometown call her "Deer Woman" and most have a story of someone seeing her.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, really?
They’re blinded by the light and don’t have a clue what you are.

And Skinwalker ranch is just like Oak Island. They’ll find something in a decade or so.
A thirty minute show could cover each topic with time left over.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop washing down Nyquil and Ambien with whiskey and you won't see it again.
View Quote

That would make sense but I'm more of a quaalude, mouthwash, and vodka kind of guy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You been binge watching "Reservation dogs" by any chance?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You been binge watching "Reservation dogs" by any chance?
View Quote

Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP, really?
They’re blinded by the light and don’t have a clue what you are.
View Quote

We have plenty of deer on the property.
It's normal for several to come graze and eat the mulberries and fallen apples.  What I'm trying to say is that I'm very accustomed to deer behavior.
It may very possible my mind was playing tricks on me but I was scared and it was weird.  Really weird.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Never heard of it.
View Quote

Reservation Dogs | Deer Lady Saves the Day - Season 1 Ep.5 Highlight | FX
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Here in New Mexico on Mt. Taylor in American Canyon two friends and myself once saw something similar and I shot at it. I don’t remember the face, but it had the upper body of a human with the hind legs of a dog. The thing I mostly remember was the mangy fur coat. It was really mangy.

I was 19 at the time I.e. stupid and shot at it. Not sure if I hit it, but while I was firing rounds were kicking up around it and it showed absolutely no fear. It didn’t run away or get cover. It just stayed still like we weren’t even there while I was firing.

When I was empty I got in and my pal stepped on the gas. As we were driving down the switchbacks, just about every turn we saw it. I don’t know how it could’ve gone down that fast because we were hauling ass.

The driver Matt, didn’t see it.However both Mel and I saw it. I didn’t know what it was but he said it was a skin walker. His ex gf was Navajo. He said that she cursed him and he would see them sometimes.

So honestly I don’t know what it was that I saw. I say skin walker because that what Mel said it was. All I know is that I’ve never seen anything like that since then. It wasn’t a mountain lion or a fox or wolf. Whatever it was, I truly know that it was extraordinary.  Like you, to this day I don’t go in the area of American canyon at night. I got caught in the dark in American canyon about 7 years ago and even though I didn’t see anything, I had a lot of anxiety.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude I’m not going to break your balls. I’m super skeptical and I’ve seen and experienced some crazy stuff. Heck even I have a hard time with some of my experiences because it’s hard for me to believe it actually happened. So I don’t blame someone if they don’t believe me. Some people live in a bubble and don’t think ghosts and supernatural stuff actually exists.

And that’s fine. However I’ve come to believe that if you don’t think stuff like that is real, then you won’t ever see it. If they do experience something, then they’ll just say their tired or seeing things. They try to make up make excuses for what happened and then never question it.

Honestly I didn’t believe something like a skin walker could exist. Or ghosts for that matter. Until I experienced it and that’s what changed my mind and made me more open minded.

My moms house was haunted. There were multiple witnesses to unexplained phenomenon there. People who worked there and helped take care of my grandfather who didn’t think ghosts were real ended up having a change of opinion after working there for awhile. The neighbors next door moved out because their daughter was talking to a ghost. Eventually things calms down and now the house is quiet.

Sorry to change the subject. Besides the possible skin walker I saw, what we would call ghosts is something I have more experience with. What else can you remember about that night when you saw the deer? Did anything weird happen after?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That’s been my point of view for my entire life. I don’t believe in something, nor do I disbelieve, until I have evidence one way or the other.

I had my groundbreaking “ghost” experience at age 12. Since then I rarely saw or heard anything until I became a campus cop fairly recently. Nowadays with all of the buildings we have that are 100-150 years old, plus just the ones built since WWII, I see and hear so many ghostly or unexplained things that it doesn’t even phase me anymore. Same with most of my co-workers. Once in a while something very unusual and alarming happens, but the unexplained noises, shadow figures, doors opening and closing, etc. happen at least weekly and we hardly notice anymore.

I wish I understood if there is a “why” to all of this. Some days I have multiple strange things happen to me, other times it’s only a few times a month. I’m guessing it’s not where I am at the time, rather something inside of me that I can’t control that makes these things perceivable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I didn’t believe something like a skin walker could exist. Or ghosts for that matter. Until I experienced it and that’s what changed my mind and made me more open minded.

That’s been my point of view for my entire life. I don’t believe in something, nor do I disbelieve, until I have evidence one way or the other.

I had my groundbreaking “ghost” experience at age 12. Since then I rarely saw or heard anything until I became a campus cop fairly recently. Nowadays with all of the buildings we have that are 100-150 years old, plus just the ones built since WWII, I see and hear so many ghostly or unexplained things that it doesn’t even phase me anymore. Same with most of my co-workers. Once in a while something very unusual and alarming happens, but the unexplained noises, shadow figures, doors opening and closing, etc. happen at least weekly and we hardly notice anymore.

I wish I understood if there is a “why” to all of this. Some days I have multiple strange things happen to me, other times it’s only a few times a month. I’m guessing it’s not where I am at the time, rather something inside of me that I can’t control that makes these things perceivable.

I completely understand, as I’ve experienced everything you have as well. After awhile you just ignore it. I never felt in the past like it was trying to hurt anyone. It gets creepy at first but after awhile you just get used to it.

I believe it’s inside all of us to perceive certain phenomenons. However, for whatever reasons some people are more sensitive to picking it up than others.  It’s been awhile since I’ve experienced something, but from about 2008-2020 I was experiencing things and one day it just stopped.

During this time period I was also having out of body experiences through sleep paralysis. Back then I didn’t know there was a name for it until many years passed and I was looking it up and found out I was having sleep paralysis. Apparently if you stay in the sleep paralysis state for longer than 10 minutes you can have an out of body experience. Anywho, I might just make a new post about that experience.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: What else can you remember about that night?
View Quote

Honestly that is about the entirety of the story.  It was just odd and almost surreal.  I felt like this thing was trying to coax me toward it.  I'm a skeptic at heart.  I don't know what to make of it.  It just really threw me for a loop when the natives acted like it was another day at the office when I brought it up.  It was nice being able to openly discuss it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here in New Mexico on Mt. Taylor in American Canyon two friends and myself once saw something similar and I shot at it. I don’t remember the face, but it had the upper body of a human with the hind legs of a dog. The thing I mostly remember was the mangy fur coat. It was really mangy.

I was 19 at the time I.e. stupid and shot at it. Not sure if I hit it, but while I was firing rounds were kicking up around it and it showed absolutely no fear. It didn’t run away or get cover. It just stayed still like we weren’t even there while I was firing.

When I was empty I got in and my pal stepped on the gas. As we were driving down the switchbacks, just about every turn we saw it. I don’t know how it could’ve gone down that fast because we were hauling ass.

The driver Matt, didn’t see it.However both Mel and I saw it. I didn’t know what it was but he said it was a skin walker. His ex gf was Navajo. He said that she cursed him and he would see them sometimes.

So honestly I don’t know what it was that I saw. I say skin walker because that what Mel said it was. All I know is that I’ve never seen anything like that since then. It wasn’t a mountain lion or a fox or wolf. Whatever it was, I truly know that it was extraordinary.  Like you, to this day I don’t go in the area of American canyon at night. I got caught in the dark in American canyon about 7 years ago and even though I didn’t see anything, I had a lot of anxiety.
View Quote

Note to self: Do not date a Navajo chick and if you must DO NOT PISS HER OFF: end note
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Ha! Dully noted. Especially if their into death metal and wear spikes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve spoken with natives from different tribes. All have had different reactions when I’ve asked about skin walkers. Some I’ve spoken are more open with outsiders (people not from their tribe) and others won’t talk about it and will tell you to change the subject. The amount of time I’ve known them for seemed irrelevant. The ones who have spoken have said some interesting things. Wether or not it’s true I cannot verify since it wasn’t my own experiences.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I like these stories.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dogman.

shoot at on sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top