BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
What about online backup?  Carbonite?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Just cements my thinking on whether to try to grow my small company or just stay small. Screw it I'm 52 with low overhead, I rely on the server based software for looking up parts and pricing and bookkeeping. But I can easily go back to a book a paper ledger and carbon copy invoices.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Online backups are good for recovering from catastrophic data loss (ie, your house burned down).  Just make sure that you keep your account current and you have a secure password with MFA.  Also ensure that your data is encrypted.  I use cloud storage as a secondary backup for my important personal stuff.  Primary backup is to my NAS and or portable USB drives.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Pretty sure Salesforce has thrown right leaning companies off their platform.

As an AWS architect I have to admit this was an eye opener.  I can‘t recall anyone getting publicity when getting kicked off AWS.  I’m sure it happened, but assumed it was dipsticks that deserved it.

The evidence I’ve seen is that Parler was working with them on any concerns that this hammer fell with no adjudication and no ability to take corrective action.  AWS basically selected the winner (Twitter) and kept them while booting the loser.

So what does this mean?  How can anyone lock into AWS?  NFW.  Not the local police, police unions, ICE, boarder patrol, gun shop, church  The list goes on forever.  Fall out of favor with the leftist and they can end you and pick your competitor as the winner.

No thanks.   AWS devops tools are dead to me (already were).  Orchestrating a bunch of EC2s?  Get out of here.  We will orchestrate containers with open source.

But what really sucks is the lock-in with some really cool services.  S3 is insanely powerful.  IAM everywhere too.  The list goes on.  I can’t recommend that any more.

I use to poo poo the cloud agnostic folks.  No more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just signed a contract to have a VoIP cloud hosted phone system installed in our home. Am I screwed?
View Quote

A contract!? You can get ooma for the monthly price of the taxes on a phone. Maybe $5/mo. No contract.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There seems to be a business opportunity for "politically agnostic" cloud providers. Are there none?
View Quote

Anyone who bills themselves as being "politically agnostic" is viewed by the left as being hostile to their cause - and thus subject to attack.

In their minds, AWS did nothing wrong - and anyone who believes otherwise is an enemy.

Yes, there's probably money to be made by servicing "deplorables" - but it comes with a lot of headaches.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty sure Salesforce has thrown right leaning companies off their platform.

As an AWS architect I have to admit this was an eye opener.  I can't recall anyone getting publicity when getting kicked off AWS.  I'm sure it happened, but assumed it was dipsticks that deserved it.

The evidence I've seen is that Parler was working with them on any concerns that this hammer fell with no adjudication and no ability to take corrective action.  AWS basically selected the winner (Twitter) and kept them while booting the loser.

So what does this mean?  How can anyone lock into AWS?  NFW.  Not the local police, police unions, ICE, boarder patrol, gun shop, church  The list goes on forever.  Fall out of favor with the leftist and they can end you and pick your competitor as the winner.

No thanks.   AWS devops tools are dead to me (already were).  Orchestrating a bunch of EC2s?  Get out of here.  We will orchestrate containers with open source.

But what really sucks is the lock-in with some really cool services.  S3 is insanely powerful.  IAM everywhere too.  The list goes on.  I can't recommend that any more.

I use to poo poo the cloud agnostic folks.  No more.
View Quote

Kubernetes seems popular for a reason. I've seen customers running multi DC/service providers using mixed virtualization tech. I think our standard on one offering is bare metal bootstrapped to a single vm as a hypervisor, with a vm on that as master/worker nodes, which then run the actual containers. It's so far removed from the underlying setup it can be ran on damn near anything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
You will own nothing, and like it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A contract!? You can get ooma for the monthly price of the taxes on a phone. Maybe $5/mo. No contract.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just signed a contract to have a VoIP cloud hosted phone system installed in our home. Am I screwed?

I meant a one-time installation contract. 13 handsets and a Polycom.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
While not cheap, you can put together your own server for around the price of a well-equipped AR.
You can have your own personal netflix and cloud.

It's one of the best decisions we have ever made.
View Quote

Please explain
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fact is the internet only works under cooperation of endless companies, orgs, and people. When a cancel culture takes over, the very foundation of the net is at risk.
View Quote
And sometimes the free market will see an opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is bigger than that. It isn't The Cloud, it is the society at large.

Ar15.com is in The Cloud. Did The Cloudcut them off? Nope. It was their registrar. Do you know the difference?

You go ahead and build your own web server, and your own firewall, and your own database server, and duplicate it across town, and set up servers around the country, or around the world to distribute your content. Then tell me what happens when your domain is removed from the registry, your certificates are invalidated, your ISP cuts you off and your landlord tears up your lease.

The Cloud isn't the problem. The sickness and hysteria, more deadly than COVID-19, AIDS, or the bubonic plague ever were has festered in our society. You think getting kicked off the internet is bad? You wait until your water gets shut off for having a Trump sign, or you can't get a car loan, or job because of who you voted for.

That's the end game. This is cultural revolution, baby...and they are in it to win it!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is bigger than that. It isn't The Cloud, it is the society at large.

Ar15.com is in The Cloud. Did The Cloudcut them off? Nope. It was their registrar. Do you know the difference?

You go ahead and build your own web server, and your own firewall, and your own database server, and duplicate it across town, and set up servers around the country, or around the world to distribute your content. Then tell me what happens when your domain is removed from the registry, your certificates are invalidated, your ISP cuts you off and your landlord tears up your lease.

The Cloud isn't the problem. The sickness and hysteria, more deadly than COVID-19, AIDS, or the bubonic plague ever were has festered in our society. You think getting kicked off the internet is bad? You wait until your water gets shut off for having a Trump sign, or you can't get a car loan, or job because of who you voted for.

That's the end game. This is cultural revolution, baby...and they are in it to win it!
View Quote

Nailed it. Coupled with the UBI that IS coming, we're heading towards a social credit system like China. Want to buy guns or ammo? Sorry your monthly "stimulus payment" doesn't allow for that. Want to support a conservative business? Sorry they're on the blacklist. Etc. Etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Even for your personal use the cloud never seemed like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fact is the internet only works under cooperation of endless companies, orgs, and people. When a cancel culture takes over, the very foundation of the net is at risk.

I worry those with the capital have too much to lose; those with the desire don't have the capital. The barrier to entry is getting mighty high.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
We currently (and have since the 60s) run our own data centers. Only in the last year did we start putting anything in the cloud and that was forced through acquisitions. I'm curious to see if this has any impact on our plans to move more workload.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Moving to cloud is convenient and cheaper (for now), but the risks aren't worth it. It makes sense for test and dev environments but moving production to cloud is a bad idea. First you lose control of your data. Say the wrong thing and AWS shuts you down destroying your business. Second, they will eventually raise prices on you once it's impossible to find an alternative. I've worked in data centers for a while and the prospect of moving to cloud was depressing. I'm nearing the end of my career so it won't affect me personally but I felt bad for the younger guys I work with. I hope this wakes people up to what a bad idea it is to move everything to a cloud provider.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lol boomers, it was interesting seeing these old detached politicians trying to have the right to repair bill explained to them.
View Quote
Not a boomer but some people from that generation have the best all around understanding of technology in my opinion. I've found many of them know both hardware and software really well. I don't see that much in younger people I work with.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#19]
"Just buy your own servers" is the IT equivalent of "file down the sear."
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
can you imagine if the electric company decided to cut you off because of your stance on certain issues
View Quote

Or any other utility, isn't teh interwebz a utility?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not a boomer but some people from that generation have the best all around understanding of technology in my opinion. I've found many of them know both hardware and software really well. I don't see that much in younger people I work with.
View Quote

IME, those guys are typically EE/ME types that like playing with "toys".
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
can you imagine if the electric company decided to cut you off because of your stance on certain issues
View Quote

Another year and I’ll be ready for that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#23]
There is no cloud...

It's just somebody else's computer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is no cloud...

It's just somebody else's computer.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't get me started.

I'm a veteran IT drone for a fortune 50 company and their schtick for the last two years has been "we gotta go to da cloud, AWS to save big monies".

The entire time I have been saying the following to anyone that will listen:

"uh... A) we currently have several world class data centers spread across the US you are throwing away as part of this plan, yeah they are a bit expensive but you could literally compete with AWS if you wanted instead of giving up that capability and make money instead of spend it  B) You know Amazon's core business model since day 1 has been to be cheap at the beginning to get people hooked then jack up the prices, I guarantee this ends up costing us more and C) You also know that Amazon has outright stated in the past they are interested in entering the same business as us, so you are literally trying to put our proprietary industry data on a potential competitors server which will also be 100% in their control - great idea numbnuts"

but I have been ignored.
View Quote

It’s quite ingenious...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread reminds me that I need to get my server back up and running.

I’ve been storing things on a friend’s server for a bit, but just like with mine, his motherboard bit the dust.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Please explain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While not cheap, you can put together your own server for around the price of a well-equipped AR.

Please explain

@Darkstar117 can you give me an overview of your build so I know what to buy? Assuming a NAS, and some sort of personal cloud software. A fixed ip address with your isp?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
yeah they are a bit expensive but you could literally compete with AWS if you wanted
View Quote

That's why you're being ignored, that statement is really something.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Falling Down - D-Fens vs. Nazi Store Owner (1080p)

This short clip holds a lot of information; often hidden multifaceted implications of important historical events, as well as relevance to the present, and a possible future.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#30]
@Toblerone

More related to the OP's topic...

Everyone should watch this. The main clip was from August or September last year. Things are way worse than most people could even imagine, but there is still time, and hope, if you hold it in your heart.

ETA: and act now, before it becomes impossible not to, and there’s only two choices left.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So you're a business looking at the de-platformings and site shutdowns and bannings going on because of one's politcal views, affiliations or associations. Literally Blackmail.

Now, you can be a flooring company, a pet groomer, a dental office, or a fortune 500 company.  Over the years, you've slowly shut down your company server rooms and transferred everything in to "the cloud" with some provider:  Amazon, Digital Ocean, Rackspace, Softlayer or whoever.  You've moved your employee records, your financial statements, your intellectual property, your company websites and your data in to someone else's control.

At anytime in the future, you can be cancelled because of something an employee or a supplier posts! It may not even be deemed bad today, but in the future, who knows.  You can literally lose your business because of something someone says. EVEN A COMPETITOR CAN SET YOU UP FOR A FALL. They pose as one of your employees, post some unsavory stuff, and you are cancelled. Your livelihood gone. Do you think a judge is going to protect you?  Do you think a Internet Service Provider is going to honor contracts?  Don't count on it.

I wonder how long before software licenses are cancelled because you are not politically correct?

If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property if I'm able to before that big anvil in Silicon Valley falls on me and puts my company under and all my employees out of work. I may go overseas for registration of domain names, get multiple paths to the intertubes just to stay on line.

Your business depends on it.  The United States has become very unpredictable.  Why risk your livelihood to knuckleheads on a power trip with an ever changing agenda and an iron-fisted appetite to destroy anyone who doesn't agree with them???
View Quote

I'm in IT and I've been making that argument ever since the whole cloud thing began.

If the internet goes down but your company has its own servers then you can function. And the internet could go down, long term, for lot of reasons. The Nashville bombing took down a lot of things for the whole region for a couple days.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

A server with your working server running virtual machines. Sort of a server within a server. Then back up locally with Veeam. If something happens to the virtual machine it can be restored with Veeam. If the hardware dies you can move the VM to another physical server. You can even have multiple physical machines and set things up so that if one physical machine dies the other physical machine (with a copy of the virtual machine) can take over. (Make sure you check and verify those backups on a regular basis.) Put the veeam backups on separate mirrored drives and you are protected by anything except the building burning down or other physical disasters. (The physical machines could even be kept in different rooms to reduce the chance that a physical disaster (broken pipe maybe) could take out both servers.

And then you want some offsite data backup. I have little experience with Carbonite but it probably works just fine. Data backups won't get you back up and running quickly if there is a disaster. But if your building burns down you are probably going to be shut down for a few days anyway so this isn't that big of a deal.

And I would get a good managed IT company to at least assist you with the setup. IT stuff generally isn't all that hard but it is highly specialized and doing it wrong can be really, really bad for your business.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Having your own servers is not so easy.  My issue with my own data center is infrastructure, AC and power.  I have 10 server racks in my server room and the temperature shoots up whenever we have a problem with the AC.  And It love to go off on Sunday.  We have 6 portable Moveincool AC units as backup but we had to put exhaust fans in the ceiling to move the hot air.  Then factor in the cost of redundant power and ups for each server.  Plus it would have cost a half a million $ to install a generator to power everything. As nyc becomes Detroit this may become a bigger issue.   I can’t wait to get everything out of my office and into the cloud or colo.  Plus we are a lefty org so we are safe (for now) from the woken.  I have written AWS of my plans.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm in IT and I've been making that argument ever since the whole cloud thing began.

If the internet goes down but your company has its own servers then you can function. And the internet could go down, long term, for lot of reasons. The Nashville bombing took down a lot of things for the whole region for a couple days.
View Quote

It depends on what you do.  My organization is internet dependent.  Without email and internet most people might as well stay home.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Having your own servers is not so easy.  My issue with my own data center is infrastructure, AC and power.  I have 10 server racks in my server room and the temperature shoots up whenever we have a problem with the AC.  And It love to go off on Sunday.  We have 6 portable Moveincool AC units as backup but we had to put exhaust fans in the ceiling to move the hot air.  Then factor in the cost of redundant power and ups for each server.  Plus it would have cost a half a million $ to install a generator to power everything.
View Quote

The need for cooling and backup power doesn't go away with data relocation.

Anyone else who was hosting your data would still be dealing with it.

The difference is that you won't have any control over how well they deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#36]
It is not just about where your server is.  You still need to have your DNS listed, you still need to have bandwidth.  Hell you still need electricity.  Then even if you do all those things - you could still be raided by the FBI or investigated by the IRS (and that happened in the Obama era).

Hell - even if you do all that, you better be prepared to only accept postal money orders as payments - as banks can lock you out of their CC system.  Hell some will even lock access to your accounts if you are deemed to breach their service agreement (talking about you Paypal).  Want a business loan - good fucking luck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

there are several, not insurmountable issues. basically it comes down to cost. if you are serious, you need at least two regional data centers, the data centers need high speed commercial links from at least two different vendors, you need a generator or two, you need battery backup.

going to some high end rack mounded hardware is probably less of an issue than getting the truly high speed internet connections and dedicated IP space..

my company runs there own data centers in a number of different cities across the us. im part of the current company because my original company was bought and merged with several others. in that original company we had our own datacenters but moved to a cloud provider. once bought in the last go around, our servers moved to our own facilities.

one thing you might look into is running dedicated vmware servers in some providers rack space (or cloud). so you are leasing physical servers configuring the vms and software and in control of you vmware space.

the risk that folks have experienced here is something that most companies are not going to see. because they dont run social media apps at all. so there is no potential issue with 'unacceptable' social behavior. one glaring example is porn. some porn is a pretty raw. yet you dont hear about those sites getting shut down. so the real issue is political cleansing of various things. avoid politics and you will most likely avoid the kind of condemnation that gets you 'deplatformed'.

and it should be obvious that such 'social cleansing' is here to stay. and it will increase in the internet.

the internet is something new in the world. before information flowed in one direction, for the mass media providers to the public. now information can flow in all directions. anyone can open a twitter account (until they cross the social cleansing rubicon). that is new. and things like Q, the mob chaos in DC and all kinds of similar things can start at any place where someone(s) is able to instigate some sort of mob action by hitting the rite 'nerve' in a group of people. ISIS took great advantage of this for a while. the lessons (and the consequences) should be obvious.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't get me started.

I'm a veteran IT drone for a fortune 50 company and their schtick for the last two years has been "we gotta go to da cloud, AWS to save big monies".

The entire time I have been saying the following to anyone that will listen:

"uh... A) we currently have several world class data centers spread across the US you are throwing away as part of this plan, yeah they are a bit expensive but you could literally compete with AWS if you wanted instead of giving up that capability and make money instead of spend it  B) You know Amazon's core business model since day 1 has been to be cheap at the beginning to get people hooked then jack up the prices, I guarantee this ends up costing us more and C) You also know that Amazon has outright stated in the past they are interested in entering the same business as us, so you are literally trying to put our proprietary industry data on a potential competitors server which will also be 100% in their control - great idea numbnuts"

but I have been ignored.
View Quote

its complicated. im not a cpa, but i suspect for a lot of companies, leasing or buying services from AWS, google or microsoft is a not like the fixed cost with depreciation that you have if you buy your own equipment and have your own datacenters. a lot of companies that are on the internet were built to eventually be sold. the fact that a buyer can come in and buy the intellectual property and the customer base of a company but hot have to pick up a bunch of fixed assets, especially if they have their own datacenters or use a major cloud provider plays into a lot of what is going on. and you dont have to have the folks managing the facilities either. and adding, moving or reducing facilities is super easy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Burn said hoster down after said hostile censorship....profit
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#40]
bulldozer time then?
shut down my business  and ill do the same to theirs?
the fact that these shutdowns dont result in MASSIVE damages lawsuits is insane. you cant just up and decide to close down business with someone without giving them a heads up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah they are a bit expensive but you could literally compete with AWS if you wanted

It's ok if you don't believe me but I'm not lying when I say we HAD the capacity to be a competitive cloud service provider for external clients if we had wanted. It doesn't align with our core business model but at the same time they are looking to expand into different areas to diversify.

It's moot now, we don't anymore.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]
We've been moving to cloud and AWS and i don't think they are going to change.  

I've been pushing things like Truenas Enterprise and NextCloud as a means of cost cutting and ending reliance on other vendors.  
I hate cloud services with a passion.  You lose control of your data, and your company/infrastructure being relatively unknown ingles you are a fortune 500 company is less likely to be targeted than Amazon, Cloufare, etc.
Add with the glass in Amazon hosting found a few years ago, the ENTIRE infrastructure of every hosted business is at risk from the least secure entity in the group.
There was an issue where it someone didn't change the default admin password on their web console, that admin account could be granted full permissions to EVERY admin account in that hosting cluster, so it went cross site and domain since the account was on the AWS layer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So you're a business looking at the de-platformings and site shutdowns and bannings going on because of one's politcal views, affiliations or associations. Literally Blackmail.

Now, you can be a flooring company, a pet groomer, a dental office, or a fortune 500 company.  Over the years, you've slowly shut down your company server rooms and transferred everything in to "the cloud" with some provider:  Amazon, Digital Ocean, Rackspace, Softlayer or whoever.  You've moved your employee records, your financial statements, your intellectual property, your company websites and your data in to someone else's control.

At anytime in the future, you can be cancelled because of something an employee or a supplier posts! It may not even be deemed bad today, but in the future, who knows.  You can literally lose your business because of something someone says. EVEN A COMPETITOR CAN SET YOU UP FOR A FALL. They pose as one of your employees, post some unsavory stuff, and you are cancelled. Your livelihood gone. Do you think a judge is going to protect you?  Do you think a Internet Service Provider is going to honor contracts?  Don't count on it.

I wonder how long before software licenses are cancelled because you are not politically correct?

If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property if I'm able to before that big anvil in Silicon Valley falls on me and puts my company under and all my employees out of work. I may go overseas for registration of domain names, get multiple paths to the intertubes just to stay on line.

Your business depends on it.  The United States has become very unpredictable.  Why risk your livelihood to knuckleheads on a power trip with an ever changing agenda and an iron-fisted appetite to destroy anyone who doesn't agree with them???
View Quote

I hope you can still get good peering. Lucky if they let you connect to the internet at all anymore.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#44]
The cloud = someone else's computer or service.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's ok if you don't believe me but I'm not lying when I say we HAD the capacity to be a competitive cloud service provider for external clients if we had wanted. It doesn't align with our core business model but at the same time they are looking to expand into different areas to diversify.

It's moot now, we don't anymore.
View Quote

It's not about hardware.  Did you offer a huge menu of services, all of them available via API?  Could I click a button in your console and make my server available on another continent, in a couple hours?  Did you offer a linux distro built to integrate with your service?  What was your answer to S3?

These cloud providers are not just renting time on servers. No matter how much hardware you had, if you think that's what made you ready to compete with AWS then that pretty obviously proves you don't understand what it is.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The cloud = someone else's computer or service.
View Quote

It really is.  And ice is frozen water.  Who is it that is supposed to be confused about this?  15 years ago, sure.  But who doesn't understand what a cloud provider is now?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Every time my organization gets a quote for something cloud-based, we find it's cheaper to host it on our own server(s).
View Quote

That is generally true. Cloud costs add up quick, especially with AWS and Azure. Those two providers nickle and dime you for everything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a utility now.  Therefore it can be regulated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:09:45 AM EDT
[#50]
You buy your own servers and the the son of a bitches remove your IP registration from all the DNS servers.

Now what?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top