Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/16/2021 12:51:26 AM EDT
So you're a business looking at the de-platformings and site shutdowns and bannings going on because of one's politcal views, affiliations or associations. Literally Blackmail.

Now, you can be a flooring company, a pet groomer, a dental office, or a fortune 500 company.  Over the years, you've slowly shut down your company server rooms and transferred everything in to "the cloud" with some provider:  Amazon, Digital Ocean, Rackspace, Softlayer or whoever.  You've moved your employee records, your financial statements, your intellectual property, your company websites and your data in to someone else's control.

At anytime in the future, you can be cancelled because of something an employee or a supplier posts! It may not even be deemed bad today, but in the future, who knows.  You can literally lose your business because of something someone says. EVEN A COMPETITOR CAN SET YOU UP FOR A FALL. They pose as one of your employees, post some unsavory stuff, and you are cancelled. Your livelihood gone. Do you think a judge is going to protect you?  Do you think a Internet Service Provider is going to honor contracts?  Don't count on it.

I wonder how long before software licenses are cancelled because you are not politically correct?

If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property if I'm able to before that big anvil in Silicon Valley falls on me and puts my company under and all my employees out of work. I may go overseas for registration of domain names, get multiple paths to the intertubes just to stay on line.

Your business depends on it.  The United States has become very unpredictable.  Why risk your livelihood to knuckleheads on a power trip with an ever changing agenda and an iron-fisted appetite to destroy anyone who doesn't agree with them???
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Insert XKCD about how every time someone says "cloud" replace it with "someone else's computer".
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The people who make the decisions to go to the "cloud" don't know what they are doing. They are only looking at dollar signs. Facts don't matter.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
While not cheap, you can put together your own server for around the price of a well-equipped AR.
You can have your own personal netflix and cloud.

It's one of the best decisions we have ever made.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, amazon especially just killed a lot of trust.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Your on to something, the weapon or eliminating history and data of any firm for political views is real. The only reason they are using it with such aggressive stance is because no one will do anything immediately.

In the past 10 years many Private data centers, collocations, have been downsizing to move to clouds services. If they speak up or support you openly they will meet the same faith.

The servers and individual data centers need to make a comeback, view it as a immediate threat that justifies the cost of a small data center.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't get me started.

I'm a veteran IT drone for a fortune 50 company and their schtick for the last two years has been "we gotta go to da cloud, AWS to save big monies".

The entire time I have been saying the following to anyone that will listen:

"uh... A) we currently have several world class data centers spread across the US you are throwing away as part of this plan, yeah they are a bit expensive but you could literally compete with AWS if you wanted instead of giving up that capability and make money instead of spend it  B) You know Amazon's core business model since day 1 has been to be cheap at the beginning to get people hooked then jack up the prices, I guarantee this ends up costing us more and C) You also know that Amazon has outright stated in the past they are interested in entering the same business as us, so you are literally trying to put our proprietary industry data on a potential competitors server which will also be 100% in their control - great idea numbnuts"

but I have been ignored.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
And technology still wins, because you have to purchase even more shit...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't get me started.

I'm a veteran IT drone for a fortune 50 company and their schtick for the last two years has been "we gotta go to da cloud, AWS to save big monies".

"uh... A) we currently have several world class data centers spread across the US you are throwing away as part of this plan, yeah they are a bit expensive but you could literally compete with AWS if you wanted instead of giving up that capability and make money instead of spend it  B) You know Amazon's core business model since day 1 has been to be cheap at the beginning to get people hooked then jack up the prices, I guarantee this ends up costing us more and C) You also know that Amazon has outright stated in the past they are interested in entering the same business as us, so you are literally trying to put our proprietary industry data on a potential competitors server which will also be 100% in their control - great idea numbnuts"

but I have been ignored.
View Quote

Technical IS usually ignored.  Thinking is HARD.  Being stupid is easy.  Always take the easy path and follow the herd.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
can you imagine if the electric company decided to cut you off because of your stance on certain issues
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't get me started.

but I have been ignored.
View Quote

^Truth
A combination of greed and laziness pushes things in this direction. 20 yr ex-IT guy here and the company I left went all in on the cloud- not a fan.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
can you imagine if the electric company decided to cut you off because of your stance on certain issues
View Quote

That will happen, just like them cutting off banking and payment systems. That also highlights the stupidity of the people saying Trump should just buy a huge media operation and put news out himself. Great - what happens when the ISPs won't let you transfer data? What happens when the FCC won't let you broadcast OTA? Every license gets denied. You can't pay anyone or for anything. He'd be lighting whatever liquidity he has on fire.

Do any of you remember what some of the first targets the AF went after (not including AAA sites) were in the first gulf war? Command and control. In essence - the progressives have totally eliminated OUR command and control. The results will be similar.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property....
View Quote

You can't compete with the prices.   The big companies operate these systems with a few H1B's in the USA, and an unlimited supply of $5/hour workers offshore.  

My dentist recently got rid of software running on a 10 year old server in his closet.  Now he's paying $500/month for access to cloud software that manages his billing, files all his claims, manages his patient records.  
He no longer has any software to update, no server maintenance, no server problems...  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#13]
This is bigger than that. It isn't The Cloud, it is the society at large.

Ar15.com is in The Cloud. Did The Cloudcut them off? Nope. It was their registrar. Do you know the difference?

You go ahead and build your own web server, and your own firewall, and your own database server, and duplicate it across town, and set up servers around the country, or around the world to distribute your content. Then tell me what happens when your domain is removed from the registry, your certificates are invalidated, your ISP cuts you off and your landlord tears up your lease.

The Cloud isn't the problem. The sickness and hysteria, more deadly than COVID-19, AIDS, or the bubonic plague ever were has festered in our society. You think getting kicked off the internet is bad? You wait until your water gets shut off for having a Trump sign, or you can't get a car loan, or job because of who you voted for.

That's the end game. This is cultural revolution, baby...and they are in it to win it!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm no computer geek, by far, but I've seen these cloud option ads for business and even on your small devices for a while now and thought it a bad idea. Putting you eggs in some stranger's basket just seems more stupid then having them all in in you own basket without a backup.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe China is near there now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I was a server admin (NT4, 2000) for many years. Then I moved to become a Sharepoint architect early on. Finally, when Azure and cloud computing started to become a thing, I saw the writing on the wall. Fuck that shit. No control.

When I started, we had PLC networks that weren’t allowed on the same wires and switches as the business networks. We ran R-2 for all major apps. (Always two releases behind current.)

Hand over the keys to god knows who?  Get the fuck out of here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as soon as Cthulhu(Google in this reality) sets them up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't be surprised when it happens, when not if.

The "principled" capitalist conservatives of arfcom will not only defend it, but cheer it on while jacking off virtue signaling because "its their business and their rules" remember?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The people who make the decisions to go to the "cloud" don't know what they are doing. They are only looking at dollar signs. Facts don't matter.
View Quote
Every time my organization gets a quote for something cloud-based, we find it's cheaper to host it on our own server(s).
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can't compete with the prices.   The big companies operate these systems with a few H1B's in the USA, and an unlimited supply of $5/hour workers offshore.  

My dentist recently got rid of software running on a 10 year old server in his closet.  Now he's paying $500/month for access to cloud software that manages his billing, files all his claims, manages his patient records.  
He no longer has any software to update, no server maintenance, no server problems...  
View Quote

Until the backhoe operator takes out his internet connection for 4 days.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

[b]If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property if I'm able to before that big anvil in Silicon Valley falls on me and puts my company under and all my employees out of work. I may go overseas for registration of domain names, get multiple paths to the intertubes just to stay on line.
View Quote

Where are you going to keep those servers?  How are you going to get them connected to the internet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#22]
OP you have a point.

I switched from on-premise accounting software 3 years ago to SAS cloud (Oracle Netsuite).  I don't believe they're on AWS, Oracle has their own data centers.  I could be wrong, but I think they do.  

I outgrew on-prem Quickbooks...  Around the same time I got a ransome ware attack on my pile of shit server.

FFWD to today - we have a firewall box running PFsense, we are anal about backups, we have 2x rack servers.  Mainly keep engineering files etc on them for storage.

That being said, I might look at bringing the accounting system back to on premise.  It is nice to be able to access accounting from offsite, but we could do VPN if needed.  There are a few companies I've recently looked at that do offer on premise versions of their accounting.

As far as my websites, they're on bigcommerce.  As far as I know, they haven't made any moves yet to deplatform anyone.  I am not sure about hosting my own sites with ecommerce etc - It's something I could look into.

I am friends with an IT management firm.  I may consult with them about options.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It could be the power company, any of your other utilities, your internet provider, your DNS, etc. With the current culture, you can't trust anybody.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#24]
As a cloud engineer, working for one of the companies mentioned in the OP, I think many don't fully understand what the cloud is. It's not the boogieman that most make it out to be. It's also not the end all many hype it to be.

Fact is the internet only works under cooperation of endless companies, orgs, and people. When a cancel culture takes over, the very foundation of the net is at risk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#25]
If this site could be hosted 100% by Brownells, that would be SO much easier.

I totally understand the money and manpower involved in that, though. And why it may not be feasible for them. But if they could do it, they'd never have to worry about being de-platformed as they would hold 100% control over 100% of their content.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As a cloud engineer, working for one of the companies mentioned in the OP, I think many don't fully understand what the cloud is. It's not the boogieman that most make it out to be. It's also not the end all many hype it to be.

Fact is the internet only works under cooperation of endless companies, orgs, and people. When a cancel culture takes over, the very foundation of the net is at risk.
View Quote

For me, moving workloads to the cloud is not about cost savings, which may or may not happen. It's about concentrating on my core business. Sure, I'm capable of building a datacenter, but I've installed enough operating systems and swapped enough hard drives for a lifetime. I have more important stuff to do, thank you very much.

Also, Brownells is hosted on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:52:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Where are you going to keep those servers?  How are you going to get them connected to the internet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[b]If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property if I'm able to before that big anvil in Silicon Valley falls on me and puts my company under and all my employees out of work. I may go overseas for registration of domain names, get multiple paths to the intertubes just to stay on line.

Bathroom linen closets work great for email servers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:09:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

For me, moving workloads to the cloud is not about cost savings, which may or may not happen. It's about concentrating on my core business. Sure, I'm capable of building a datacenter, but I've installed enough operating systems and swapped enough hard drives for a lifetime. I have more important stuff to do, thank you very much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't blame you. There's alot of work to keep infrastructure up and running. Even more for every nine you add to expected uptime. Hell getting paid to do it and it still gets old.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
While not cheap, you can put together your own server for around the price of a well-equipped AR.

View Quote

When you manage thousands of servers things are a little different.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw through the "cloud" bullshit as soon as they started pushing it.  I've always wanted my own data on my own computer that I own.  Not rent, or have as a "service" from microsoft.  Sell me a goddamn product and let me use it how I want.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That will happen, just like them cutting off banking and payment systems. That also highlights the stupidity of the people saying Trump should just buy a huge media operation and put news out himself. Great - what happens when the ISPs won't let you transfer data? What happens when the FCC won't let you broadcast OTA? Every license gets denied. You can't pay anyone or for anything. He'd be lighting whatever liquidity he has on fire.

Do any of you remember what some of the first targets the AF went after (not including AAA sites) were in the first gulf war? Command and control. In essence - the progressives have totally eliminated OUR command and control. The results will be similar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn’t worry so much.

All the liberals I know are totally scared of the right. At my work they brought up the protestors using “military signals” at the Capitol and pre-planning the raid while I had a big ass grin on my face.  I had fun showing pictures of fatso national guard troops to them.

I’ve completely isolated my liberal friends by not attending their events or playing video games.

There’s nothing more that liberals hate than not being around conservatives because there’s no boogie man to hate.

The best way to get back at a woman is to ignore them. It’s no different now. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and all these platforms fucked up because now they don’t control the discourse or have behind the scenes info. Your comments, your username, and frankly YOU are their most valuable resource. Now they don’t have it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s a bit like drugs. The amount of money saved by having someone else’s platform, infrastructure, and hardware host your data is so intoxicating it doesn’t matter what the possible effects are. I brought this up as a thought exercise with leadership at a prior position and was told that it didn’t matter where the data was because it was so much cheaper to have it there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I'm a business today, I'm buying my own servers, IT infrastructure and in-house IT staff, and getting my data out of the cloud, out of the colo, out of the datacenters and back under MY control in MY server room on MY property....

This exactly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on your needs, you could even do it for less than AR.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Every time my organization gets a quote for something cloud-based, we find it's cheaper to host it on our own server(s).
View Quote

It was cheaper for me to do my own hardware than paying for cloud services.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yep, amazon especially just killed a lot of trust.
View Quote

The biggest thing that I got out of it is that the Amazon AWS contract isn’t worth the paper it is written on.  

Your little 50million dollar company is nothing compared to a trillion dollar company.  They will just bankrupt you and run you out of business.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#37]
There seems to be a business opportunity for "politically agnostic" cloud providers. Are there none?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There seems to be a business opportunity for "politically agnostic" cloud providers. Are there none?
View Quote

Who can compete against Amazon, Microsoft, and Google?  Maybe one of them would piss off Elon enough for him to crank up his own cloud.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#39]
The cloud is NOT about saving money. Never has been and there are a lot of execs who learned that through having to find a new job.

The cloud services enable your business to deploy new infrastructure faster as you grow. It also enables non IT people in the business to call the shots when it comes to what they want.

If you start a business today, you have to have a lot more up front capital to even set up in a colo vs cloud.   And as Godaddy showed, you can get cancelled regardless of where your stuff runs.

Parler should have been multi-cloud or have gone colo as big as they had gotten. Their DR plan needed to go beyond AWS regions and availability zones.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Here at home we're going the NAS route and going back to the good old days of owning our own music and movies, saying adios to streaming services. I also do drone photography so a NAS will be very useful for buisiness cloud and backup. Pretty damn amazing what you can do with them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I have 100% avoided cloud storage personally and professionally since it became a thing.  It's fucking stupid and blatantly risky.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lolololololololol

You have no idea what you're talking about @TLF
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#43]
The CAD program i use is browsers based and completely on the cloud.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Putting the cloud in quotes is the most boomer thing I've seen today
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I just signed a contract to have a VoIP cloud hosted phone system installed in our home. Am I screwed?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who can compete against Amazon, Microsoft, and Google?  Maybe one of them would piss off Elon enough for him to crank up his own cloud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are more than 3 cloud providers. We have an entire industry (VPNs) devoted (as most claim) to keep your data private. We can't have a cloud provider that serves the same business goal?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually I’m looking for immutable backups, and it’s my decision, wanna see my companies AWS bill to see if we’re saving money? Lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same with us, I’ve still deployed a limited amount of services to the cloud though, hybrid environments are awesome, you can still be in control of your data. Most cost savings come from capital expenditure vs operational expenditure... if you have existing capital hardware, it’s going to be a lot cheaper to stay on prem for the time being.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Putting the cloud in quotes is the most boomer thing I've seen today
View Quote

Lol boomers, it was interesting seeing these old detached politicians trying to have the right to repair bill explained to them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top