Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2020 7:29:26 PM EDT
Why no movie yet?
there's a rumor about a bio of Capt. Earnest Evans (Come Hell or High Water) but the latest internet page is dated October of 2015.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Show American heroics on the big screen? Are you kidding? Some progressive will get triggered.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Show American heroics on the big screen? Are you kidding? Some progressive will get triggered.
View Quote
Exactly. No womens, the blacks and asians were stewards and mess attendants.  Won't fly.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Because Hollywood sucks at showing truly epic history?

Samar would require a very special director to do it justice.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a video (History channel?) of the Battle here.

It includes some eyewitness accounts of the battle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
There most definitely should be a movie about this, although Hollywood would probably screw is up royally. If you haven't read it yet, give "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" by James Hornfischer a look. It is a wonderful account of the battle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There most definitely should be a movie about this, although Hollywood would probably screw is up royally. If you haven't read it yet, give "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" by James Hornfischer a look. It is a wonderful account of the battle.
View Quote

I have read it- twice at least- and agree, it's a very well-written book. "We will do what damage we can" makes it get dusty in here. It would make an excellent source to begin the study of that battle.

My wife, who was a deck seaman, read it and she loves it!
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have read it- twice at least- and agree, it's a very well-written book. "We will do what damage we can" makes it get dusty in here. It would make an excellent source to begin the study of that battle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drachinifel - Battle of Samar
This YouTube video is pretty good analysis of the battle. In general if you're interested in naval history, this channel is a great one to watch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because Hollywood sucks at showing truly epic history?

Samar would require a very special director to do it justice.
View Quote

Steven Spielberg would be excellent.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I would absolutely love to see a movie made about the battle and I think that with the likes of Midway and Greyhound being released, we might still get see Taffy 3 on the big screen. It’ll have to be CGI heavy by necessity but I think it’s gotten good enough that they can pull it off.

oh, is there any particular reason why this is in the SciFi/Fantasy forum?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top