Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2022 7:33:57 AM EDT
Fight me.

Yea it’s reliable generally, but any huge Diesel engine making like 6 HP will be reliable.

Let’s go over some specs:

0-60: a fortnight.
Torque: 12.5 ft lbs.

Shit, they don’t even have seat heaters to keep my tushy warm.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You’re wrong
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha ha ha 21 years still going no cel no dpf no regen it may be slow but hasn’t stopped yet.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
howdareyou.jpg
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ha ha ha 21 years still going no cel no dpf no regen it may be slow but hasn’t stopped yet.
View Quote

You sound like someone with cold butt cheeks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Naa, it's not just the powerstroke that sucks. It's all V8 diesels in general.
They suck for low end torque and sound like absolute shit.
I drove a duramax with a 6 speed for a while at work. You had to slip/burn the clutch every time you had a load on it just try try and get thing thing moving in first gear. And that is after stalling it a couple times.
There is a reason you pretty much never see then with a manual trans. No low end torque.
The cummins we had, did not matter what you had it loaded down with. 1st gear, pull out like normal. TORQUE.

Inline for the best time!
There is a reason the inline 6 is in so many semi trucks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Making magical snails scream loudly is much easier than removing all of today's gov't mandated bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#7]
At least they don't go into simp mode if you don't put pee in the tank.

And that'll be $8000 dollars for your regen system and cat going bad....................sorry, juuuuust out of warranty.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
We have a couple in the fleet that have 300k. Utility vehicles.

They have way less power than our other 6.0 and 6.7 diesels, but they aren’t steaming piles of shit like them.

Slow, but the trucks are on the road working every day.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
My two 7.3s with over 300 disagree.

They may suck for super cold due to being oil fired/heui injectors, but outside of that nope.

Now 6.0 I can get behind
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Seat warmer is overrated. I use mine about 4-5 times a year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
For every 10 7.3’s I see still going I see:

About 5 pre-common rail Cummins

Maybe 1 LB7 or LLY Duramax

I think they got that one right for the time. This is coming from a 6.7 Dodge owner.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I drove a duramax with a 6 speed for a while at work. You had to slip/burn the clutch every time you had a load on it just try try and get thing thing moving in first gear. And that is after stalling it a couple times.
There is a reason you pretty much never see then with a manual trans. No low end torque.
The cummins we had, did not matter what you had it loaded down with. 1st gear, pull out like normal. TORQUE.

View Quote

Mack E9
Cat 3408

Almost every industrial Diesel engine is a V.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mack E9
Cat 3408

View Quote

Stop! Let him have his delusions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#14]
The 7.3L was a good engine for a long time, but it has been completely surpassed and is at the end of its lifespan. People love it for the nostalgia.

Now you can find more recent diesel options that are just as reliable, with or without emissions, that make twice the power and aren’t in a 20+ year old truck. They start and run better cold, have more torque, ride better and eclipse the 7.3L in every way possible.

I believe Ford has most 7.3L parts starting to hit the end of their lifespan which is going to make the aftermarket your only option soon and it will become a niche engine for guys restoring old trucks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Seat warmer here never a cold cheek.

ETA.

Big V here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
They are cold blooded and have a lot of small issues.

A GM pickup with a 6.0 gas is a much better option.

IMO none of the late 90s early 2000s diesel pickups are very good. Make shit power and aren't as reliable as people remember.

LBZ with Allison is where it gets good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fight me.

Yea it’s reliable generally, but any huge Diesel engine making like 6 HP will be reliable.

View Quote

Agreed, they are slow AF, noisy, and yes they do break down regularly.

If it wasn't for the craptastic 6.0 and 6.4 that followed the 7.3 would have been long forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#18]
7.3 gas is best 7.3
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are cold blooded and have a lot of small issues.

A GM pickup with a 6.0 gas is a much better option.

IMO none of the late 90s early 2000s diesel pickups are very good. Make shit power and aren't as reliable as people remember.

LBZ with Allison is where it gets good.
View Quote

Thats where you are wrong.

Reliability and power and cost of engine maintenance easily goes to the Cummins. Electrical and transmission sets them back. This comes from a huge Ford fan.
Chevys ride nice, but the truck construction is cheap made. Duramaxes are crazy complicated/expensive, and so are the Allisons. The reason there are so many 7.3s compared to the above is the overall truck package is well built.

I don't feel like the average user needs 1000 foot pounds of torque, to be "big on power." The late 90's early 2000's diesel market, must disagree. Nearly all the brands have held their value well because of the cheaper maintenance and reliability compared to modern ones. Ford HPFP ring a bill to anyone? How many people do you know have had a modern diesel breakdown due to de-rates, and emissions fail. I know MANY, to the point I would never own a modern diesel. I would easily purchase a gas engine over them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Lol, a million units still in service 20 years later disagree with your assessment.
Super Dutys have seat heaters.
Learn to maintain your fleets people.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a Hydra Tuner and report back
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd rather have a Buick 455
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fight me.

View Quote

Seat heaters was an option for them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

6 in a row, ready to tow. I have 2017 HO 6.7 cummins ram deleted and tuned. That mofo will pull a house off its foundation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
And here I am shopping around for one
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Buddy I will have to say I see tons of stupid shit on GD, but your statement tops it all. Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#27]

has seat heaters and it has broken 4 ring gears and 2 driveshafts
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buddy I will have to say I see tons of stupid shit on GD, but your statement tops it all. Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!
View Quote

21 years here and this tops the list? You clearly haven't been paying attention.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mack E9
Cat 3408

View Quote

That maybe true, but there's a reason the 3408 cat didn't have a longer life in on highway vehicles. The 3406 was better in every way. Same with the 8v71, they only make torque and high rpm. The v8 cat absolutely drank fuel. I6 diesels are the best on highway configuration for low end torque and fuel economy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Older, pre emissions diesel are the kings of power train.

But the 7.3ps isn’t one of the good ones.

Just the facts.

CAT 3406e/C15 6NZ

Detroit 12.7L series 60

Cummins 855 “Big Cam” on the N14.

Sure.  We can debate all day which is the best million+ mile engine.  (It’s the 6NZ. There actually isn’t a debate.)

But the 7.3 doesn’t make the list.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For every 10 7.3's I see still going I see:

About 5 pre-common rail Cummins

Maybe 1 LB7 or LLY Duramax

I think they got that one right for the time. This is coming from a 6.7 Dodge owner.
View Quote
Sales of the 7.3 were way higher than Dodge. And the Ford chassis the engine is in is way better, so the those 5 Dodges probably mean the inline 6 is outlasting the 7.3 two to 1.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That maybe true, but there's a reason the 3408 cat didn't have a longer life in on highway vehicles. The 3406 was better in every way. Same with the 8v71, they only make torque and high rpm. The v8 cat absolutely drank fuel. I6 diesels are the best on highway configuration for low end torque and fuel economy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mack E9
Cat 3408

Cost had more to do with it then anything else.

3406’s were significantly cheaper to produce than 3408s. When you’re talking a 30-35% difference in truck prices, Of course you’re going to go with the 6 instead of the 8.  Same thing killed the mack super liner. And we used to have 50 of those.

I6’s are fine, because they were developed more for that application. My point still stands; every industrial Diesel engine is essentially a V engine.

From power generation to industrial gas compression to running mining equipment.  If you want an engine that lasts, And to the post I quoted, V Diesel engines, are the gods of engines.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't know about that, op.  That fucker was in everything from ambulances to flatbeds , hot shot trucks to tow trucks. It built a solid , well earned reputation.  Not perfect by any means, but it was a dependable engine.

They're not as powerful as today's offerings, but the 7.3 filled many-a-spots when needed and I certainly wouldn't say the engine "sucked"
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

6 in a row, ready to tow. I have 2017 HO 6.7 cummins ram deleted and tuned. That mofo will pull a house off its foundation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup... Super simple to service, also. DPF and DEF is the only thing holding a modern diesel back from perfection. My daily driver is a deleted 6.7 CTD, also.

As a guy that just replaced a left valve cover gasket on a 6.7 Power Stroke yesterday, I can say a profound "Fuck No" to ever owning anything with that engine. It did have 312k on it, so the newer engines are proving that the shitty old 7.3 isn't the only engine that lasts.

Earlier this week I did a tappet cover gasket on a 2002 Ram 2500 CTD. That 24v Cummins with a manual is where it's at. Mild tune, open exhaust. Torque for days. The truck built around it is shit, but..... Give me a '06 Super Duty body with a 24v Cummins and a manual and I'd be a happy dude.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yup... Super simple to service, also. DPF and DEF is the only thing holding a modern diesel back from perfection. My daily driver is a deleted 6.7 CTD, also.

As a guy that just replaced a left valve cover gasket on a 6.7 Power Stroke yesterday, I can say a profound "Fuck No" to ever owning anything with that engine. It did have 312k on it, so the newer engines are proving that the shitty old 7.3 isn't the only engine that lasts.

Earlier this week I did a tappet cover gasket on a 2002 Ram 2500 CTD. That 24v Cummins with a manual is where it's at. Mild tune, open exhaust. Torque for days. The truck built around it is shit, but..... Give me a '06 Super Duty body with a 24v Cummins and a manual and I'd be a happy dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, 05 and up super duty with a Cummins is a great combo

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I disable the turbo at idle my powerstroke sounds like a Cummins
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't know about that, op.  That fucker was in everything from ambulances to flatbeds , hot shot trucks to tow trucks. It built a solid , well earned reputation.  Not perfect by any means, but it was a dependable engine.

They're not as powerful as today's offerings, but the 7.3 filled many-a-spots when needed and I certainly wouldn't say the engine "sucked"
View Quote

It doesn't suck, but it doesn't make any power by modern standards, either. The 6.0 would have been the much better engine had they not fucked them off with emission standards and shitty factory components.

Maybe I was harsh when I called the turd 7.3 "shitty."

Now GM...... The only thing worthwhile that they make is the LS based engines. Everything else GM sucks. Independent suspension on a HD truck.... Sheesh. Don't get me started. My brother is a GM fanboi, so I've driven every Diesel they've made up to his current '21 AT4 bitchmobile.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Seat heaters was an option for them.
View Quote

They definitely didn’t have heated steering wheels….

How am I supposed to keep my hands warm after applying my moisturizer??

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP is soft.  Doesn't even go shooting when dark or raining.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#41]
You shut your whore mouth OP.

I had an OBS in high school and sold it with 340,000 on it. Bought a 2001 powerstroke in December and it’s fresh with 230,000. The neighbor has an OBS with over 400,000 miles used as a farm pickup.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#42]
7.3 IDI
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#43]
I hang just as many cummins engines as I do anything else.
We are currently sitting on 3 cummins 6.7 head gasket jobs that need done too. Just finishing one today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

OP is soft.  Doesn't even go shooting when dark or raining.
View Quote

All my night vision is for my closet. Gotta check for boogie men.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#45]
B.I.L. had a 7.3 that was pushing 800 h.p. with a Suncoast trans.  Of course it was a turd in it's stock setup.    My stock Duramax would drag 7.3's even when they had tunes or propane injection.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mack E9
Cat 3408

View Quote
V's are used strictly for packaging concerns or when you get to larger units were you need a v-12 or bigger.

All of Cummins heavy truck engines are inline.

During my interview with the Department head engineer for heavy truck engines at Cummins I asked about v-8's and he said they hadn't developed one since the 60's because anything you could do with a V-8 could be done with an inline 6. This was in 1989.

V-8's might fit a pickup, but they increase complication and are not an ideal situation if an inline 6 will fit.

Industrial engines above a certain displacement and within the faster speed ranges do tend to be V-12 or even more cylinders.

When you get to extreme size, low speed, marine two strokes, the V disappears and inline configuration comes back.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#47]
My 2002, 7.3L is pretty spunky with a Banks full stage 4, towing package upgrade.
It just brings it up to modern standards, but it's not slow, and underpowered anymore.
No def, no regen. Just add diesel and go !
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
V's are used strictly for packaging concerns or when you get to larger units were you need a v-12 or bigger.

During my interview with the Department head engineer for heavy truck engines at Cummins I asked about v-8's and he said they hadn't developed one since the 60's because anything you could do with a V-8 could be done with an inline 6. This was in 1989.

V-8's might fit a pickup, but they increase complication and are not an ideal situation if an inline 6 will fit.

Industrial engines above a certain displacement and within the faster speed ranges do tend to be V-12 or even more cylinders.

When you get to extreme size, low speed, marine two strokes, the V disappears and inline configuration comes back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mack E9
Cat 3408

Again, it comes down to what I said earlier:

Cost.

V series engines cost more to develop.  Truck engine pricing is already tight as it is.   Which is why, primarily, you don’t see V engines in heavy duty trucking applications.  Buyers want cheap cheap.  

As for marine applications, that is the same thing. You can, in theory make a V do what a huge inline 6 does. But, it’s a lot more work in that case and development, so why bother?

My point still stands:

V type diesels are fine. And last a terrific amount of time.  And generate more than enough power.  But they can’t be in cost sensitive applications.  I6’s are the cheap way to get things done.

I have a hard enough time springing for a X15 over an Mx13.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#49]
362K on my 99 E350.  14.5 to 15.5 mpg
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My two 7.3s with over 300 disagree.

They may suck for super cold due to being oil fired/heui injectors, but outside of that nope.

Now 6.0 I can get behind
View Quote

I run rotella 5w40 synthetic year round.  If I plug in the block heater for at least three hours it fires right up and idles even at zero degrees
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top