Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2019 5:54:31 PM EDT
Baseball Season starts today.

In the past managers were fired by the bushel full.  The last few seasons there were only a couple firings.
How bloody will THIS season be?  Will Baseball Lords resume wholesale firings or will they remain with retail amounts?  How many Quitters will there be?  How many will run for AOC’s seat next year?

Place your bets.

Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about this some, and I'm really not sure who the front runner is. I think the following managers may be fighting for their jobs.

Mickey Callaway.....Mets
Andy Green.....Padres
Ned Yost....Royals
Clint Hurdle....Pirates

For some reason, my gut says if the Padres don't start out strong now that Machado is on board, then Andy Green will get fired.  But that really is a just guess.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Think Mickey is safe until the end of the year. A good start per usual for the NYM, but we will see. I like our odds better than last year. Much stronger team overall. Can’t speak to the other clubs as i don’t really follow them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
April is over with no early fires.

Any takers?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Jump Bump.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Home Stretch
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm starting to think they will all survive.  But sometimes a manager gets fired in the last couple of weeks of the season.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm starting to think they will all survive.  But sometimes a manager gets fired in the last couple of weeks of the season.  We'll see.
View Quote
Lately they've been let go Post-Season

We'll find out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the Royals are being sold, so now I'm betting on Ned Yost getting the ax. He still might make it to the end of the season, though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like the Royals are being sold, so now I'm betting on Ned Yost getting the ax. He still might make it to the end of the season, though.
View Quote
Autumn is becoming harvesting season for more than foodstuffs.

Baseball Season ends and manager hunting season begins.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I kind of guessed right.

Andy Green is fired.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I kind of guessed right.

Andy Green is fired.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#12]
2nd Place

Maddon, Cubs Part Ways After Five Seasons

ST. LOUIS -- Every managerial tenure, no matter the prestige of the man in the chair nor the height of success experienced, reaches an inevitable expiration date.

That moment has arrived for Joe Maddon and the Cubs.

On Sunday, the Cubs announced that they would not be offering Maddon a contract extension following this season, making the decorated manager a free agent for 2020. Following arguably the greatest managerial era in the team’s long, storied history, there will be a new voice at the helm.

Maddon and Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein met over a bottle of Caymus wine on Saturday night, coming to an agreement that the time was simply right to make a change. Prior to Sunday's game, they stood side by side at Busch Stadium, explaining that it was a friendly parting of ways that will allow the Cubs to usher in a new era and Maddon to explore a new managing job.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]
3rd Place

Clint Hurdle Fired as Pirates Manager After 9 Seasons

The Pittsburgh Pirates announced Sunday they fired manager Clint Hurdle.

"This has been a challenging season on many levels," general manager Neal Huntington said of the move. "We are committed to assessing and improving upon our operations on all levels in order to return Postseason baseball to Pittsburgh.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about this some, and I'm really not sure who the front runner is. I think the following managers may be fighting for their jobs.

Mickey Callaway.....Mets
Andy Green.....Padres
Ned Yost....Royals
Clint Hurdle....Pirates

For some reason, my gut says if the Padres don't start out strong now that Machado is on board, then Andy Green will get fired.  But that really is a just guess.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
They're waiting for the End Of Season.

Who is next

Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, it might get ugly, now.  I could see Detroit firing the manager, and all of the players, too.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, it might get ugly, now.  I could see Detroit firing the manager, and all of the players, too.  
View Quote
News from Boston: There is going to be a Major payroll slicing In Boston.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Pity.

He didn't do all that bad, considering...

It's getting bloody out there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#23]
6th Place.

This is as bloody as it gets.  If there is a 7th or beyond it will probably be The Bloodiest Season ever.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm guessing that's it for the firings.  It will be interesting to see if all they do is switch to managing a different team.

A couple more retired (Yost and Bochy), but that doesn't count.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm guessing that's it for the firings.  It will be interesting to see if all they do is switch to managing a different team.

A couple more retired (Yost and Bochy), but that doesn't count.
View Quote
We haven't gotten in the the real Post Season (After the World Series) yet.

Six.  As far as I know that's the largest amount of managerial firings since I started counting.
Sports writers might know of larger amounts of firing.

2015 had 6 firings
2018 had 6 firings
2019 has 6 firing So Far.
More to go
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Alex Cora fired....and the season hasn't even started.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alex Cora fired....and the season hasn't even started.
View Quote
7th Place.

Too early for Spring Training.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't been following baseball much lately, but it looks like Hinch also got fired, over the sign steeling scandal.  And Beltran might be in trouble too.  Apparently he publicly claimed to have no knowledge of it, but the MLB report disputes that.

We'll see.

EDIT:  Beltran is gone too.  I suspect the "agreement to mutually part ways" is something like the team saying:  "Lets agree to mutually part ways.  And if you don't, we'll fire you".
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I haven't been following baseball much lately, but it looks like Hinch also got fired, over the sign steeling scandal.  And Beltran might be in trouble too.  Apparently he publicly claimed to have no knowledge of it, but the MLB report disputes that.

We'll see.

EDIT:  Beltran is gone too.  I suspect the "agreement to mutually part ways" is something like the team saying:  "Lets agree to mutually part ways.  And if you don't, we'll fire you".
View Quote
According to My Definition: He wasn't fired.
Marginal, though.  He never got to wear the Uniform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top