User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/19/2021 12:25:27 PM EDT

Texas' results:

Average squat: 687 lbs
Average bench press: 438 lbs
Average deadlift: 742 lbs.
Virginia came in second, followed by New York, California and North Carolina.

North Dakota came in last.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/texans-are-the-physically-strongest-people-in-america-research-shows
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ha...  When I was in my 20's I fought full contact karate (kickboxing) and I was 6'2" 160 pounds.  I worked high rise construction and from my observation weight lifters were the weakest.  They were muscle bound and would tire out in minutes.

It doesn't matter how much you can lift if a skinny dude can beat your ass down with ease...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ha...  When I was in my 20's I fought full contact karate (kickboxing) and I was 6'2" 160 pounds.  I worked high rise construction and from my observation weight lifters were the weakest.  They were muscle bound and would tire out in minutes.

It doesn't matter how much you can lift if a skinny dude can beat your ass down with ease...
View Quote

Weird, I thought it said physically strongest, not best fighters.. RIF I guess.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep telling yourself that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The amount of TX hate in this thread will be absolutely LEGENDARY!!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alrighty....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

In a sparring match with rules and clocks.

Don't assume great strength can't be dangerous in a real fight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Texans would fail in 2 hours of hay baling
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is this the new tossing hay bales?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
average gym goer squatting 687lbs, I would like to see that
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Texans are the New Yorkers of the south my informal study shows
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Can they lift a horse over their head and defeat every kind of man in single combat?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
ND came in last cuz its all good old boys working on the farm.

They're not tracking their workouts and numbers.
They have better  shit to do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve stacked tens  of thousands of square bales.

Fuck all that these days!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#14]
AVERAGE bench over 400?

Bullshit
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#15]
It’s all that Dr. Pepper they drink.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ND came in last cuz its all good old boys working on the farm.

They're not tracking their workouts and numbers.
They have better  shit to do.
View Quote

Three months out of the year. They're snowed in the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AVERAGE bench over 400?

Bullshit
View Quote

Yeah.... gotta throw the flag here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#20]
TLDR

Its comparing sanctioned powerlift meets from the past few years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

And no one was talking about this.

What a bizarre follow up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Lmao!!!

I've only seen a couple texas come here to northern Maine.

The cold alone broke these "strong men".

Went back to thier sunshine and burritos.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#23]
The average gym goer can squat 550 lbs in nebraska
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Texas was represented pretty good at worlds strongest man 2020.

They couldn't beat the Europeans though.

Eta: Robert oberst is my spirit animal
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#25]
All that "research" proves is that Texas may be the most full of shit.

It was a survey. I would love to take an average Texan and put him under >600lbs on the bar and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I was a running back @ 145 lbs dripping wet in 1971 at a very small school. All the good athletes played both ways. I was easily the strongest kid in school. Thanks DAD!!!!! for putting me on a 90 lb jack hammer in the summers. Throwing hay bales helped as well. My cousins both had hay fields and we'd work those bails between two-a-day work outs. I got a bit frustrated at my life but I'm sure glad I did it. I'm almost 70 now and I have no issues slinging my 18 lb. PRS rig around a barricade. 50lb bags of salt for the pool? No problem. Heavy ass pieces of steel humped over to the welder in my shop? No problem. Getting old sucks but watching soi bois sure gives me a good chuckle. I was in downtown Chicago a while back and I was amazed at the lack of manliness I saw. Very few men did I see that I couldn't physically destroy even at my age. I'm gonna make a video of me being re-programmed. No fucks given anymore. The wife is going to make a fine catch for some fella.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Texans are the New Yorkers of the south my informal study shows
View Quote
Our senator objected to the certification of the presidential election. Your senator was happy to see Trump gone even if it killed the gop. Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The amount of TX hate in this thread will be absolutely LEGENDARY!!!

View Quote

Not nearly as LEGENDARY as a bunch of Texans will soon be claiming that they can bench press 440 pounds because they are slightly stronger than average.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was a running back @ 145 lbs dripping wet in 1971 at a very small school. All the good athletes played both ways. I was easily the strongest kid in school. Thanks DAD!!!!! for putting me on a 90 lb jack hammer in the summers. Throwing hay bales helped as well. My cousins both had hay fields and we'd work those bails between two-a-day work outs. I got a bit frustrated at my life but I'm sure glad I did it. I'm almost 70 now and I have no issues slinging my 18 lb. PRS rig around a barricade. 50lb bags of salt for the pool? No problem. Heavy ass pieces of steel humped over to the welder in my shop? No problem. Getting old sucks but watching soi bois sure gives me a good chuckle. I was in downtown Chicago a while back and I was amazed at the lack of manliness I saw. Very few men did I see that I couldn't physically destroy even at my age. I'm gonna make a video of me being re-programmed. No fucks given anymore. The wife is going to make a fine catch for some fella.
View Quote

What
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Of course they are the strongest. It takes a huge amount of strength to stump-break a longhorn!

J/K Texas! Home to half my family and all of my wifes Family.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, the first post! Amazing, it usually takes 1/4 of a page for a thread to get this tarded.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Lol, did I make it in before everyone claims they can do better?  

Otherwise, we have discovered Texans to be the biggest bullshitters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess retard strength is a thing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell yeah.  We have a new copy-pasta.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Definitely the biggest egos.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell you what is rougher than square bales on a hot day...stacking sacks of soy beans in a stifling  truck trailer. I've done both. I called the soy bean stacking "Alabama Get-ups"....that tiring.  Bring on the bales if I'm reduced to serfdom again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is this from the copy/paste thread?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Surfers.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, there's also been some scientific research that stated our penises are 8" on average (limp), with 25% greater girth. California came in last.

Seriously, I'd love to see where and how the data was collected for the strength study.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#40]
When I saw the thread title, I thought "Nodaks are probably the strongest", yet the report says they came in last.

Not a chance that Texas, as averaged across the entire population, has stronger people than North Dakota. I have lived in both states. There's no fucking way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Squatting 687lbs? As an average? Yeah fuckin right
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now that's funny cause down here we bail hay when's its 110..... We go all day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I guess retard strength is a thing.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nobody reads the fucking article apparently. Not average joe gym guy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#46]
FPPS

(First post purse swings)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#47]
No. They have the strongest weight lifters.

Real big difference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#48]
The article says Texan has the strongest powerlifters.

Doesn’t say anything about average folks.

Besides, we’ve all been to Austin.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, but if you check some random PL meet results the numbers in the article still look like bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Methodology

All data is sourced from Open Powerlifting
   Data is from 2016-2020, accessed January 6, 2021
   Lifters must meet the following criteria to be eligible for their state
       Drug tested = true
       Equipment = raw
       Age = 18 or older
       Event = SBD (full power)
   Each lifter’s best full power meet performance is ranked within the state they represented at the time of the competition. This way, the same lifter cannot count more than once toward a given state’s average.
       However, it is possible for the same lifter to appear twice on the list, but only if they moved between 2016 and 2020 and re-registered with their federation under a different state.
   The top 10 totals by wilks were used to calculate each state’s averages. Including Washington DC and Guam, this resulted in a total of 513 lifting performances (Guam only had 3 performances in the time period that met the above criteria).
       This was done to compare each state’s best lifters against each other. Including all lifters in this type of calculation would “water down” the averages of states where powerlifting is more popular and there are more low-level lifters.

https://liftvault.com/strongest-states/#Methodology
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top