Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2021 7:25:01 PM EDT
I'm not going to spoil it by discussing the video.  

Tesla vs Demon drag race
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are fast. But I'll take the visceral *brrraaaaaaaaaappp* every time over *hmmmmmmmm*
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ll never be able to afford either but I’d take the Demon.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is our resident 1/8th mile expert at. We just discussed this very type of race the other day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My 66 Mustang is shaping up to be a high 11 to low 12 second car and it is not being built for 1/4 mile but rather for road course track days.

I am more than happy with everything it can do while assaulting the senses and requiring my concentration.

No EV vehicles for me, ever.   The push button to signal the car to drive itself is not interesting to me.

/edit

I post about it a ton because my engine spun the cam when the cam pin sheered on me 2 months ago.   First day of a 2 week vacation started with a 1 month old engine eating itself.

Looks like I get my engine back next week and with luck the car is running again by christmas.  I can hardly wait.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
An actual race car with a warranty.  Only in a Dodge.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
That might be the most poorly filmed drag race video I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Now do the Hellephant.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Still slower than a Tesla Plaid but very impressive.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's a hint...the left lane was the winner...
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The truck I am building will probably run a 16 in the 1/4 and it will smoke the tires the entire way, and bounce off the walls in both lanes going down the track.

It's perfect for me.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh so cool. The electric car blew its load. 35 min until round two..... Now what? It's a novelty and for the price any specific built drag car will absolutely rape it.

Battery and motor tech let alone charging time just isn't there yet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An actual race car with a warranty.  Only in a Dodge.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]

If that van was AWD as well. I'd buy it for the lulz.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Both are fast. But I'll take the visceral *brrraaaaaaaaaappp* every time over *hmmmmmmmm*
View Quote
I'm with you right up until dodge. I'd take a tesla 3 over any dodge.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

@slappomatt

Too much horsepower and style for you? That's ok. I drive a subaru too. But I take the dodge when I want to have fun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
These threads always seem to forget the NHRA Factory Stock class exists.  They smoke Teslas with 7 second runs. Comparable price and anyone can buy one factory direct from the racing division.

These threads always seem to forget the aftermarket. They smoke Teslas with 7 second(or faster) runs. Anyone can buy the parts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now do the Hellephant.
View Quote

They need to stick it in something on the production line for it to be considered production.

If they have, I haven't heard about it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
These threads always seem to forget the NHRA Factory Stock class exists.  They smoke Teslas with 7 second runs. Comparable price and anyone can buy one factory direct from the racing division.

These threads always seem to forget the aftermarket. They smoke Teslas with 7 second(or faster) runs. Anyone can buy the parts.
View Quote

Very fast. Very expensive. No title. Not street legal. Factory built, race only cars
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Very fast. Very expensive. No title. Not street legal. Factory built, race only cars
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/worlds-quickest-street-car-blows-past-record-at-drag-week-2015-test-and-tune/
Street legal 6.05. You are wrong.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LO23 dodges from '68 were, IIRC, street legal. Also the plymouth barracuda versions too.

I would be kinda surprised if they are not in the 7s now with modern tires, they were in the high eights / low nines when they rolled off the factory floors.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/worlds-quickest-street-car-blows-past-record-at-drag-week-2015-test-and-tune/

...and that has exactly what to do with...."These threads always seem to forget the NHRA Factory Stock class exists.  They smoke Teslas with 7 second runs. Comparable price and anyone can buy one factory direct from the racing division."
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Tesla plaid is fast, but has zero soul. For a street/strip machine, Ill build my 73 Nova. For roll race killer, Ill take a C6 Corvette with a big ass ProCharger on corn.

This is coming from a former Shelby GT500 owner.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what times the doorslammer classes are running nowadays, and if any of the leagues require pump gas. I recall reading that one/some of those classes require you to drive it to and from the track.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

...and that has exactly what to do with...."These threads always seem to forget the NHRA Factory Stock class exists.  They smoke Teslas with 7 second runs. Comparable price and anyone can buy one factory direct from the racing division."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.nhra.com/news/2020/2021-dodge-challenger-mopar-drag-pak-exposed
Factory Dodge runs 7 sec 1/4 mile for $143k. Tesla Plaid goes 9 sec for $131k, but that doesn't include the NHRA required roll cage or chutes for that speed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Factory Dodge runs 7 sec 1/4 mile for $143k. Tesla Plaid goes 9 sec for $131k, but that doesn't include the NHRA required roll cage or chutes for that speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The production run of the 50-unit, non-VIN,...”
It’s a bad ass factory built race car. Not street legal. I will take ICE every time over electric. But you’re comparing apples to oranges. One is a fast ass electric street car. The other is fast ass dedicated strip car.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Since it's a street car let's do what a lot of the street events do and have a cruise of 25-75 miles and then 3 back to back passes within 1 hour after you arrive at the track.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It’s a bad ass factory built race car. Not street legal. I will take ICE every time over electric. But you’re comparing apples to oranges. One is a fast ass electric street car. The other is fast ass dedicated strip car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So which one do you want? The street legal car I linked earlier that's faster than a Tesla or the factory direct car that's faster than a Tesla? I've shown both.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Something you will never hear a Tesla owner say “best 2 out of 3”
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Dodge or ICE, because it makes noise that gets me excited.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't care how fast Teslas are.
Give me an ICE any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]
1/8th mile? Weak
Demon all day though
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#34]
If the quoted HP of the Dodge is right, the Tesla would not have gained back the difference already present in the 1/8th, unless it's aero was FAR, FAR superior, and it's not.

If that Demon was 1200hp, it would have just continued to hold the advantage or open the advantage as that distance ran out to 1/4.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So which one do you want? The street legal car I linked earlier that's faster than a Tesla or the factory direct car that's faster than a Tesla? I've shown both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"These threads always seem to forget the NHRA Factory Stock class exists.  They smoke Teslas with 7 second runs. Comparable price and anyone can buy one factory direct from the racing division”

In a thread about a factory built electric street car and a factory built ICE street car, you posted that^^.

I showed you that the NHRA stock class cars that "anyone can buy one factory direct from the racing division”  that you are comparing the street car to, aren’t street legal. The first car you posted had nothing with to do with anything. The second car you posted proved exactly what I said.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@slappomatt

Too much horsepower and style for you? That's ok. I drive a subaru too. But I take the dodge when I want to have fun.
View Quote
dodge and subaru. you do you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#37]

False...it's a fast street car thread.  Both cars are impressive and I'm not a Dodge or Tesla fan just showing respect for two fast true street cars.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
1/8th mile? Weak
Demon all day though
View Quote

Where have you been?  All the fast street car classes run 1/8th mile now.  Of course "street car" is used loosely now although both cars in the video I posted are truly street cars.  The local street car classes I go to typically trap around 140+ mph in the 1/8th and it's podunk Iowa.  Go to an event in the south east and they are trapping 200+ in the 1/8th on 315/60/15 drag radials.  Obviously not something you are going to daily drive LOL.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I love when we get to see EV owners masquerading as car enthusiasts
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

worth repeating
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Where have you been?  All the fast street car classes run 1/8th mile now.  Of course "street car" is used loosely now although both cars in the video I posted are truly street cars.  The local street car classes I go to typically trap around 140+ mph in the 1/8th and it's podunk Iowa.  Go to an event in the south east and they are trapping 200+ in the 1/8th on 315/60/15 drag radials.  Obviously not something you are going to daily drive LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1/8th mile? Weak
Demon all day though

I'm not a fan of 1/8 mile either. I bounce between road course and 1/4 mile.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Weird to be happy about a Dodge.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The truck I am building will probably run a 16 in the 1/4 and it will smoke the tires the entire way, and bounce off the walls in both lanes going down the track.

It's perfect for me.  
View Quote

Must be an F-150 with a 5.0L V-8.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Electric fast is...
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Teslas are fast, the Plaid is insane.

The braking on the Plaid is frightening relative to the power and speed it generates. The steering is also not the greatest by any means.
When EVs get the handling/braking inline with their speed, it's going to be awesome to see. IMO, the sound of the ICE is what adds to the experience that EVs cannot replicate at this point
~9min mark for braking
Tesla Model S Plaid Review // When Science Goes Too Far
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Which plebes push buttons?  I sit down in my Tesla with my phone, shift to drive, and off I go

Buttons

I’m irritated the car doesn’t recognize the garage door in front of it is open and the one behind it is closed and shift itself into park for me….

Quoted:
My 66 Mustang is shaping up to be a high 11 to low 12 second car and it is not being built for 1/4 mile but rather for road course track days.

I am more than happy with everything it can do while assaulting the senses and requiring my concentration.

No EV vehicles for me, ever.   The push button to signal the car to drive itself is not interesting to me.

/edit

I post about it a ton because my engine spun the cam when the cam pin sheered on me 2 months ago.   First day of a 2 week vacation started with a 1 month old engine eating itself.

Looks like I get my engine back next week and with luck the car is running again by christmas.  I can hardly wait.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Which plebes push buttons?  I sit down in my Tesla with my phone, shift to drive, and off I go

Buttons

I’m irritated the car doesn’t recognize the garage door in front of it is open and the one behind it is closed and shift itself into park for me….

View Quote

How long until a Tesla has a "drag mode" where you stage the car at the track, push "ready" button on the display, and it sits their watching the tree only to launch itself with a perfect reaction time and perfectly monitor teaction for a perfectly repeatable pass down the 1/4 mile EVERY TIME independent of weather or if a human is even im the car.

Meanwhile I am waiting til the day I can put a proper pedal box in my 66 so I can be a heel & toe monster at the track as I blip the throttle under braking while monitoring understeer/oversteer...

From hero to zero all on the basis of whether you can hit the shift or miss the shift.

My 66 is faster accelerating and corners better than my 2015 GT Perf Pack.   I wanted a car that reminds you just how quickly it can kill you.   As opposed to a car that is constantly trying to do everything it can to save you.

A car that does everything without you versus a car that does nothing without you.

No shit, I have just been driving around mellow cruising and had kids in bikes record my car.   Have had people come out of fst food restaurants to look at my car.   It sounds cliche as fuck, like the Harley fags in that South Park episode.   But I am telling you that it happens.

When the car was a stock 2 bbl 289 it got more looks from women as a quiet little cruiser.   As an angry fucking unsophisticated hotrod it is a dude magnet mostly.   But I do sometimes have women ask what year it is while stopped at an intersection.

Clip from a week or two before the cam pin let loose
not a boring car
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, now you gone and done it.  You're gonna get all the E-car tards' panties all bunched up.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another Hint- That wasn't a Tesla model S PLAID! It was just a standard Model S. The Plaid model is currently the quickest production car made.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Personally, I like both of them.  I could afford neither though.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top