Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2021 1:12:38 PM EDT
I guess they decided to stop calling it "autopilot".  Good idea

(Isolated incident)

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/tesla-autopilot-crash/2021/08/29/id/1034175/

A Tesla using its partially automated driving system slammed into a Florida Highway Patrol cruiser Saturday on an interstate near downtown Orlando and narrowly missed its driver, who had pulled over to assist a disabled vehicle.

Earlier this month, the U.S. government opened a formal investigation into Tesla's Autopilot driving system after a series of similar collisions with parked emergency vehicles.

The trooper whose cruiser was hit shortly before 5 a.m. Saturday had activated his emergency lights and was on the way to the disabled vehicle when the Tesla hit the cruiser's left side and then collided with the other vehicle, highway patrol spokeswoman Lt. Kim Montes told The Orlando Sentinel.

The report said the 27-year-old man in the Tesla and the driver of the disabled vehicle suffered minor injuries and the trooper was unhurt.

Tesla did not immediately respond to an email sent to its press address.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the ridiculously bright lighting on the emergency vehicles are blinding the Teslas eyes (cameras) too!?  

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe the ridiculously bright lighting on the emergency vehicles are blinding the Teslas eyes (cameras) too!?  

View Quote

Have noticed this as well, getting ridiculous on the state police vehicles at night
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Elon is the biggest fraud in history
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Was the Tesla vehicle driver sleeping, looking at his phone or similarly not operating the vehicle appropriately?

Silly me...of course he fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Elon took radar out of Teslas in the US because they ran out of parts for it(the excuse is that only cameras is superior(completely retarded)). Radar is still in Teslas in every other market because the regulators actually give a shit about human life over stonk price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
This system isn't intended to avoid objects partially in the lane like that. Only the full self driving (the $10,000) upgrade is meant for that. What I think Tesla should be on the hook for though, is training the drivers about the limitations of the system. They give out the blanket "you should be ready to take over at any time" but there's no time to correct this if you're under the mistaken understanding that the car is going to avoid it by itself. I already learned this the hard way in mine, seeing that someone was merging into my lane like an a-hole and the car didn't do anything to get out of the way when it was in autopilot mode. I then noticed that it didn't move over for a truck on the side of the road that was partially in the lane. Sure, it does its notifications on the screen that there's an object there, but it still keeps you perfectly centered in the lane unless you jerk the wheel over.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have noticed this as well, getting ridiculous on the state police vehicles at night
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All emergency vehicles are ridiculous.  I was getting blinded by the brake lights of an ambulance the other night.  Every time he stepped on the brakes, the whole back of the truck lit up with un-diffused LED's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
FPNI bigly.

It doesn't make national news, but plain old human drivers run over cops and hit cop cars all the time.

If you're a cop, you are more likely to be killed by an inatentive driver than you are to be shot.

And the brighter lights do not help, they make the other drivers blind and hit or miss becomes luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those fake space launches are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Driver of the Tesla is an idiot and shouldn’t be operating any vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The irony here is that this is "newsworthy" specifically because it happens so rarely with Teslas.

If we had news stories about each and every time there was any kind of wreck, we'd never see anything else on the news because it would just be an endless stream of news stories about wrecks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The irony here is that this is "newsworthy" specifically because it happens so rarely with Teslas.

If we had news stories about each and every time there was any kind of wreck, we'd never see anything else on the news because it would just be an endless stream of news stories about wrecks.
View Quote

The koolaid is strong huh?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck The Police mode, engaged!
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has there been ANY Tesla or Musk thread on here you HAVEN'T trolled? This is the second one I've seen just today (so far). Your Musk hate is eating you up. My guess is you lost a butt load of money shorting Tesla stock.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#17]
FPNI, at least maybe.  

I almost hit a fireman a couple months ago.  At night, 2 lane road, and there's a firetruck attending a wreck and one lane is closed.  So many freaking blinking and strobing lights on every damn thing on that truck and I was blinded and shielding my eyes.  I stopped and slowly pulled up to a fireman that was directing traffic around the truck.  He's actually got a hand up to try to shield himself from the lights too.  He looks around the side of the truck a bit then starts motioning me to go around.  I'm going slow, but about halfway past the truck, all of a sudden, a fireman stepped right out in front of me.  I slammed on my brakes and he was completely surprised and jumped back.  Scared the shit out of both of us.  100% because the lights were so bright and confusing that neither one of us saw the other until we almost hit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This system isn't intended to avoid objects partially in the lane like that. Only the full self driving (the $10,000) upgrade is meant for that. What I think Tesla should be on the hook for though, is training the drivers about the limitations of the system. They give out the blanket "you should be ready to take over at any time" but there's no time to correct this if you're under the mistaken understanding that the car is going to avoid it by itself. I already learned this the hard way in mine, seeing that someone was merging into my lane like an a-hole and the car didn't do anything to get out of the way when it was in autopilot mode. I then noticed that it didn't move over for a truck on the side of the road that was partially in the lane. Sure, it does its notifications on the screen that there's an object there, but it still keeps you perfectly centered in the lane unless you jerk the wheel over.
View Quote

IMO humans cannot share a responsibility like being of in charge of driving sort of, sometimes, mostly when it matters the most.

In my experience a majority of people will shirk any shared responsibilities. I always hated at one place I worked the boss would get on a rip in meetings about " yall need to clean up a few minutes before we leave a couple times a week, this place is getting to be a mess."

I always suggest they pick a person to clean or every person have a sector to be solely responsible for. They never thought it was important enough to dictate the rules so guess what, never happened.

This system being in control 99.5% of the time but the .5% of the time it will commit a fatal accident without intervention is pretty fucking dumb if you properly account for the human factor. Complacency.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those new lights are horrendous. You can't see anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All emergency vehicles are ridiculous.  I was getting blinded by the brake lights of an ambulance the other night.  Every time he stepped on the brakes, the whole back of the truck lit up with un-diffused LED's.
View Quote

Just wait until you see the new school bus LEDs. It gets your attention even miles away!
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch......
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Asshole cop on the lake told me to turn off my "docking lights" which I use as headlights at night. Then parked his boat and blinded everybody on the lake with the blue strobes.

Current emergency vehicle lights are actually a hazard.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Show us where he touched you. He successfully started a car company from the ground up and kept it in business.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah thankfully a lot of agencies have figured out, or are starting to realize, that there is a limit to how much light output you want to put out at night time with overhead and other lights.

I started back when we actually had rotating reflectors in the light bars, the first ten years of LED’s were awesome...up until they got so damned powerful.  Was not uncommon for me to have to go tell folks to turn their lights down, move where they were parked, or similar to improve the situation.  If we couldn’t see jack shit, how could you expect a DUII driver trying to get home past whatever crash we were at to see us?!  People always look at the crash anyhow, not the road.  Lets not blind them completely as well...

I could easily see that fucking up an AI driving system.  And different agencies use different configurations so lots of variability.  

Just another reason Tesla needs Lidar.  (See MVIS thread!!!)
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lightbar and some rear dash lights should be fine for a police car. Similar for a fire truck or ambulance. Lights should get your attention, not blind you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

IMO humans cannot share a responsibility like being of in charge of driving sort of, sometimes, mostly when it matters the most.

In my experience a majority of people will shirk any shared responsibilities. I always hated at one place I worked the boss would get on a rip in meetings about " yall need to clean up a few minutes before we leave a couple times a week, this place is getting to be a mess."

I always suggest they pick a person to clean or every person have a sector to be solely responsible for. They never thought it was important enough to dictate the rules so guess what, never happened.

This system being in control 99.5% of the time but the .5% of the time it will commit a fatal accident without intervention is pretty fucking dumb if you properly account for the human factor. Complacency.
View Quote

I've got a solution for that. But it will render 87% of the population dependent upon public transit and uber.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Tesla's are attracted to emergency vehicles just like drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh look, it's OP continuing to not understand how Tesla autopilot works. Hint, it's not autonomous. But that's been explained to you already. You're just choosing to be ignorant at this point. Or you're a terrible troll.

Either way, you should be shamed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#29]
The local cop cars are lit up worse than Clark Griswold's house at Christmas.  They love their new cars and lights at night.
There has been a lot of times I've slowed way the hell down because you just can't see.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#30]
NFPA has done numerous studies over the years about the best number of emergency warning lights and their best locations on the apparatus.  

Things started getting a little better in the late 90s with the philosophy of less is more with lights.  

Then LEDs started becoming the norm and with the extremely small power draw of LEDs vs the older strobes, departments were once again specing trucks that “light up like a Christmas tree.”  

The good news is departments are once again finding out less is more and reducing the number of lights on apparatus.  

In the mean time, when you see flashing lights way off in the distance, slow way down when approaching the scene.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
less of a fraud than your statement.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just wait until you see the new school bus LEDs. It gets your attention even miles away!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half the speed limit signs and such around here are so reflective, you have to dim your lights to not blind yourself.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top