Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I have that exact same drafting desk if it's got an electric lift.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
To give an example of how technology has changed things, I'm responsible for a smaller tech demo project's drawing package with ~110 drawings.  By myself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have that exact same drafting desk if it's got an electric lift.
View Quote

Electric lift and tilt on mine, still use it, works good and more satisfying then a keyboard and monitor
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hmmm, well, maybe it was different at Ford. I started there in '93 at the dawn of the CAD age and saw the old prints regularly for various reasons. Don't recall ever seeing 1:1 prints. I started in aerospace though a few years earlier alternating between a drafting board and our primitive CAD system. I think I was among the last generation of engineers to learn manual drafting.
View Quote

Body Engineering Design Center? A few of my former apprentices moved over there in '91. I bet we know quite a few of the same people.  Yeah, even with ford, all the sheet metal, stamped, or molded parts were drawn 1:1. The only thing they scaled were tooling designs, because the tools were much bigger than the actual parts. Even then, they tried to stay 1:1 when possible.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not sure I buy that, unless you were actually there. Most companies not working on aircraft or spacecraft or ships simply didn't use prints that big.

And there's always got to one danged nonconformist in the group.......guy just couldn't stand to wear a white shirt.
View Quote

Quoted:
How do you know that?
View Quote

Quoted:

Did you know gullible isn't in the dictionary?
View Quote

It just is.  I bet if you dig around long enough you can verify it. Not really worried whether you believe me or not...couldn't really care to be honest.

Go ahead and look it up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Skunkworks.  SR71
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Appears to be some sort of left handed drawing club.
View Quote
Probably... but it could be that the picture is reversed based on the nerd wallets onthr wrong side of the shirts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Probably... but it could be that the picture is reversed based on the nerd wallets onthr wrong side of the shirts.
View Quote

Look hard at the picture people. Wait for it.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Must have removed the cigarettes, ash trays, coffee mugs for the photo which also left the room clear of smoke to see across.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Lockheed Martin Skunkworks

I may be on a different timeline.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Must have removed the cigarettes, ash trays, coffee mugs for the photo which also left the room clear of smoke to see across.

View Quote

My dad told me back in the old days he smoked in the office (engineering stuff but at the city level). He once realized he had 3 cigarettes simultaneously burning in ashtrays.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did the one guy in the blue shirt not get the memo? He probably got fired that day.
View Quote

No. He is the shop lead who is explaining to the engineer why the thing cannot be built as drawn.  He even has dividers out to show explicitly what is wrong.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Before my time in the industry, but I'd say that it's a bunch of draftsman, a few engineers, and if there were any architects involved, they're out of frame hanging out in the bathroom stalls that have holes in the dividers.

I kid.

Kinda.
View Quote

When I was a draftsman back in the '90s the engineers showed up to work their asses off, and the architects locked themselves in their offices with clients and did coke. True story.

These look like draftsmen in the '60s or something. Pic is too grainy to make out what they're working on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's the General Motors technical Center, in Warren, Michigan, circa 1980s.
View Quote

No way that pic is from the 80s. More like 60s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whew, that looks even more miserable than cubicle hell.
View Quote

No mandatory "diversity" seminars every week, all of the people you worked with were hired because of their competence, nobody got fired or demoted for being "too white and too male", your boss didn't have a beard and wear a dress...

Yeh, it was hell on earth.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#17]
It is back in the day's when they actually taught History, Math, English, Science, Civics and Biology ext...
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Mix of draftsman, engineers, and poeple that make shop bill of materials from shop drawings, template list, material list etc.... When I first started out about 25% of people were still drawing on the board. Then like overnight it went to 100% in a very short time frame. My dad drew on the board until I got him on the computer and doubled his income quickly for his self employed business. So much faster. I still run into some of his board drawn drawings at a number of chemical plants and refineries when I'm looking for the last set it was built off of, now that it's rotted out and time to replace.

I can smell the amonia in that pic from them running blueline copies. I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual blueprint. Always been a blueline instead.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can smell the amonia in that pic from them running blueline copies. I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual blueprint. Always been a blueline instead.
View Quote

I took Mechanical Drawing classes in high school and there was nothing quite like getting a good hard whiff of ammonia from operating the blueprinting machine at the start of 2nd period. Wakes you up and cleans out your sinuses at the same time.

I should look for a Vemco drafting machine on ebay. I've used T-squares and triangles, but was faster with a dm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Wonder what the Netflix movie about it will look like
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#22]
It's pretty obvious of you zoom in and look at the drawings. They are the design team for the Arfcom search engine algorithm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#23]
B.C.

(Before CADD)
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting, I have been in many drafting rooms, none of them looked like that.
They were spread out a bit more but not much, I think I see chairs for these guys, we also had some book shelves.
Sometimes it was just better to stand to reach the top of the drawing, the desk tops would also tilt up.

I also don't see any parallel bars used to make straight horizontal lines, some of the desk just look like they have blue prints and not drawing paper.
The blue prints I see on some of the tables might be part of the checking process or just being used for reference, I always had one or two tables to use as a reference layout area.

The rolls of drawing paper tells me this could be some kind of ship building drafting room, they would often have a very long drawing to get all of a large ship on one document.
Looks to be in the 60's or 70's, I started in the mid 70's, of course all this started to go away with CAD software in the early eighties.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
To give an example of how technology has changed things, I'm responsible for a smaller tech demo project's drawing package with ~110 drawings.  By myself.
View Quote
That would be typical for today.  Our engineers pretty much are responsible for entire projects by themselves with some backup.  

Our "draftsman" pretty much line in 3D.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Hidden Figures
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. They are trying to figure out ways to install all the commonly replaced parts that can't be reached by a human once installed into a vehicle but that will need regular maintenance throughout the lifetime of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not sure I buy that, unless you were actually there. Most companies not working on aircraft or spacecraft or ships simply didn't use prints that big.

And there's always got to one danged nonconformist in the group.......guy just couldn't stand to wear a white shirt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a typical drawing size.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#30]
The only thing I see is a lack of diversity.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#31]
My old man is probably some where in this photo. 40 years drafting/engineering. He still has all his protractors and boards. Does all his stuff now on CAD.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SR71?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could be, but would say it was the 1960’s or 1970’s.

My dad worked there briefly, my grandfather retired from there and my dads brother retired from GM tech center.
Made over $100,000 as a graphic designer the last part of his career.
My friends from high schools fathers worked for GM - they all had company cars or drove prototype vehicles that never went into production. Growing up in Detroit area the automotive industry was a way of life.
My uncle Gary always said GM will go bankrupt- a draftsman/graphic designer knew it 20 years before it happened.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Technical_Center

Guys - you missed the nice rack delivering coffee in the back.
I expect better from GD.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#34]
White supremacy is all I see.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I also don't see any parallel bars used to make straight horizontal lines, some of the desk just look like they have blue prints and not drawing paper.
The blue prints I see on some of the tables might be part of the checking process or just being used for reference, I always had one or two tables to use as a reference layout area.

View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  

I worked for a contact place in the mid 90's that did a lot of work for Delco Remy.  They had a mix of a couple of different CAD systems and boards.  One of the boards went floor to ceiling and the full width of the room, probably 8-10' high and 25' wide.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, J size 36" tall by whatever wide (my templates in Catia go from 88" wide to over 200") was necessary. For drawing reviews I used to be fine printing them off the plotter at half size, 18", but sometimes if you were reviewing them with someone older you'd need to go full size. Real pita when our cubes, or conference room tables, weren't really sized to have full sized drawings anymore.

I probably would have been the jackass in the blue shirt
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#37]
My Grandfather was a Mechanical Engineer in 50's through the 80's.  It looks like some of the pictures I have seen of him in the office probably in the 60's.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BTW, drafting is a dying art.  It's kinda sad.  One of my tasks is to review plans, some of the shit I see these days is so fucking gross.  I can't tell you how many fucking drawings I've seen with everything done in one line width.  Also we are only responsible for a small portion of projects, we require plans to be submitted with those portions in color.  We don't care how you do it, change your pen settings, highlite the pdf files whatever.  The item on the checklist is so fucking specific about what we want to see but every week we get a set of plans that some jackwagon made everything on the drawing random colors.  Every boss I've had throughout my career would have fired me on the spot for doing shit like that.
View Quote
Gaaaak!   I had a customer send me a nasty complicated drawing yesterday..where the part geometry and dimension leaders were all the same line weight...it was unusable.  

Thankfully they also sent the model.  That job isn't getting a quote.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#39]
prob that GM thing as mentioned

but second guess would ahve been IBM--or division of....mandatory white shirt, black tie
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Life before computers and acad.  

I was in construction in mid 80's and we absolutely had drawings that size.  When hand drawn they tried to put everything they could on a single page.  Couldn't click a mouse and make dozens of duplicates as today.  
View Quote
We still use a D sized plotter to print out ACAD line drawings for dies.  It's still a very effective way to visualize that kind of tooling.  It's not 1:1 for most things but it's good sized.

New tools are designed in 3D but you then have to take center cross section views to be able to really see what's going on in an assembly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#41]
White long sleeve button downs, sleeves rolled up and crew cuts...thats late 60s.  That's the putting men on the moon uniform there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Appears to be some sort of left handed drawing club.
View Quote
Good catch.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#43]
All I know is that is Paul G’s chair in the front, and you better not dick around with it. Because it’s Paul’s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
White long sleeve button downs, sleeves rolled up and crew cuts...thats late 60s.  That's the putting men on the moon uniform there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Glasses and slicked back hair were what threw it back to the 60s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
NASA?
Aircraft manufacturer?
View Quote

Something like this.  Not drafting, look like duplicates and not originals. I worked the board for my dad in my youth.

Guy with protractor is measuring something.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#47]
The real smart ones are the guys that are the geeks and wear short sleeve shirts to keep the shirts from getting inked up on the forearms. The dumb ones are the guys that don't even roll their sleeves up because they are more interested in looking good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Room full of William Fosters

Demonstrating their skills as Joan walks through the room bringing her boss his cup of coffee
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I did that many moons ago.

The definition of horror was the original vellum drawing you just
spent 50 hours on, is fed into a "Blueprint" copier for full scale
reproduction.  Halfway in the machine gets cocked and begins
to crunch and tear the original.

Eventually the department supervisor approached me about
this new drafting tool called CAD.  Within 2 years we had
rooms like that full of drafting tables that were mothballed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Holy shit. You couldn't be a a bit more specific? Lol

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit. You couldn't be a a bit more specific? Lol

Thanks!
Probably designing the swivel bucket seat.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top