Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2022 11:18:54 AM EDT
I see different types of yeast,
Are there different kinds for different bread ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorta but it's not really something you can purchase. There is airborne yeast all around us and like any organism there are different strains in different places. There are well over 1000 species and probably a great number more subspecific varieties which could be regarded as distinct for one reason or another. Some considerable happenstance has been involved throughout history in the identification of specific variants which ended up preserved via mother cultures which can give breads a distinctive flavor or aroma or texture. There are 2 main varieties of commercially available yeast. Brewers yeast produces CO2 and alcohol, bakers yeast produces a lot of CO2 but not really much of any alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
In regards to baking, you'll see instant yeast, active dry yeast, and live yeast cultures (sourdough).

I'm not sure of the differences between instant and active dry yeasts.  For most breads you want active dry yeast.  I think the instant yeasts are more for types of quick breads.

Sourdough you'll see rye based starters, whole wheat based starters, all purpose based starters, and various combinations of those.  Sourdough is basically cultivated wild yeasts and is a living culture.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
There are three types of baker’s yeast. It’s the same microorganism, just the form is different.
There’s compressed yeast, more commonly called cake yeast, that is used by commercial bakers. Active dry yeast and instant yeast are what you’re going to find at the supermarket. Active dry yeast must be hydrated before use and instant yeast can be added to the dry ingredients. One packet of instant yeast = one and a quarter packet of active dry yeast. Lots of folks just substitute them 1 : 1.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad had rows of binders in his office all labeled “yeast”.

There is a lot to it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
For practical application there are three basic types of yeast, compressed, active dry and instant.  

Compressed is the least normally found because it needs to be refrigerated, it's normally used in commercial bakeries which have storage for a 30-1lb case.  Stores find it easier to store active dry or instant.

Compressed and active dry require a double proof, the initial mixing proof then shaping and a final proof prior to baking.  Instant can be used as a single proof, but it's easier to shape and work when it's given some initial time after mixing and time to rise.  

I keep active dry and instant in the freezer it extends the life of the yeast.  There are 'designer' yeasts, Platinum, Bread machine yeast, I don't have experience with those, I stick to basics.

Different yeasts also require different ratios, compressed needs the greatest amount, then active dry, then instant in proportion of yeast to dough for successful  production.  

In terms of temperatures compressed doesn't care, instant will work when introduced dry into the mix, active dry needs to be dissolved in warm (90-105) liquid, a bit of sugar to kick it before being introduced to the dough.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I sometimes substitute beer, soda or carbonated water for yeast.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sometimes substitute beer, soda or carbonated water for yeast.
View Quote

I find it hard to believe that any of that would be an adequate substitute for yeast. Care to share a recipe?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Click Here To Begin Your Journey

Yeast is a living organism, that comes in many different forms. It feeds on sugar, and converts it to Co2, and alcohol. It provides both to beer. Creates pockets in dough to form bread. And even creates the holes in Swiss cheese. Also creates the amazing flavors in sauerkraut, and other fermented foods.

Yeast you find at the grocery store has been developed and refined, from industrial yeast used in major factories, that produce your commercial daily bread.

beer/wine yeast has been refined to focus on the conversion of sugar to alcohol!

Sourdough yeast is slightly more wild, but has been propagated to produce consistency in bread making.

You can even capture wild "Sourdough" yeast by leaving flour and water(mixed), out on your counter. Make sure to cover it, and if it has a foul smell; discard and try again.

Yeast is in and around everything you can imagine here on earth. Some of it's good, and can be useful to humans for cooking. Some of its bad, and will infect and destroy our food products, or even our person(yeast infection)! To be considered an expert, you would need an advanced degree in molecular biology.

@jvm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top