Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2023 12:27:36 PM EDT
I’ve been thinking about a watch with Tritium illumination for a while.  They seem very cool and functional, but having zero experience I don’t know how they do in practice,

Can anyone share thoughts or experiences with Tritium illumination?  

I’ve been looking at Traser or Luminox.  My watch budget is basically no more than I’d pay for a G-19, so definitely towards the poors category.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
There is not much to say. They are as effective as night sights on a handgun.

That said. I would worry more about what movement is in the watch.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them, but honestly I don't often have a need to tell the time in complete darkness. Tritium is a meager glow at best, it's not going to be like those Timex illuminated dials of old.

Deep Blue has some inexpensive trit watches, with the excellent (and inexpensive) Miyota 8215 automatic mechanical caliber.
Marathon has some nicer units, in both quartz and mechanical.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I prefer coatings over Tritium.

A well design lume coating will remain functional for a good while and work under NV as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Based on my (and many others) experience with Luminox.  Their claims about how long the tritium will glow are grossly over exaggerated.  It will stop glowing (or at least glowing bright enough to be usable) long before they claim.  Their "guarantee" is worthless because if you tell them your watch has stopped glowing within the warranty period they will A. ask you send to send it in on your dime and they will say that it's still glowing and doesn't qualify for warranty repair because it does still kind of glow in a pitch black environment (that's assuming you have the receipt because if you don't they won't even consider warranty repair).  Or B. They will inform you that where you bought your watch was not a licensed seller and your watch is ineligible for warranty repair.  

So your watch's illumination will become too dim to use long before they claim and getting them to perform a warranty repair is all but impossible.  However, they always tell you that they will replace the tritium outside the warranty on your dime.  The price for this is pretty high.  I remember that it would have been cheaper for me to buy a new watch than have the tritium in mine replaced.  If you have a really expensive Luminox and deep pockets it might be worth it but not in my case.

I loved my watch. It kept perfect time and up until it became unusable in the dark it was great but there's no way I'd ever buy another because of the cost of replacing the tritium.  I definitely don't recommend unless you have a budget where such things aren't a concern.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Love tritium. Had a luminox, crapped out in a few years. Do not reccomend.

Deep blue auto with Jap movement, a bit chunky but otherwise great watch. Lum is still bright after 5+ Years and keeps great time.

My most worn watch is probably my Seiko skx007. No trit but great readable lum all night.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ve been thinking about a watch with Tritium illumination for a while.  They seem very cool and functional, but having zero experience I don’t know how they do in practice,

I’ve been looking at Traser or Luminox.  My watch budget is basically no more than I’d pay for a G-19, so definitely towards the poors category.
View Quote

Luminox are junk…
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear a tritium watch at night so I don't have to try and focus on the clock radio across the room without my glasses. They are also nice for late hikes in the woods and camping. The half-life is around 12.5 years, so they'll be about half of the brightness after 6. I've seen 10 year old tritium tubed watches that are still visible at night once your eyes adjust.

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
tritium is cool but they die eventually, and like others said they end up being more expensive to repair than they are worth. I got luminox because they were cool at the time but I literally never wear them anymore, can't read them at night. I gifted a Blue Sea and it was bright as shit, actually annoyed my wife at night how bright it was.

lume is nice because it charges itself up whenever you're outside or in bright light. And if you want the watch to be good to go you blink it with a light and get a few more solid hours out of it. this is in the dark and my watch will look like this as I go to bed, and still be legible to me at 5am.

Attachment Attached File

And my sons, which was in the $100 range
Glows almost as well
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Luminox for a couple of years and the crystal broke. It was cheaper to buy new than replace the crystal. I bought an ArmourLite similar to the one below.
I have worn it almost every day for about 8 years. I am pretty abusive on watches and this one has endured everything.

I replaced the battery twice and that is it. It has the workhorse Swiss Rhonda 515 movement and is extremely accurate. There is no problem seeing what time it is at night in complete darkness.

https://www.armourlite.com/al1501-armourlite-operator-series-swiss-made-tritium-illuminated-watch-with-shatterproof-armourglass.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on my (and many others) experience with Luminox.  Their claims about how long the tritium will glow are grossly over exaggerated.  It will stop glowing (or at least glowing bright enough to be usable) long before they claim.  Their "guarantee" is worthless because if you tell them your watch has stopped glowing within the warranty period they will A. ask you send to send it in on your dime and they will say that it's still glowing and doesn't qualify for warranty repair because it does still kind of glow in a pitch black environment (that's assuming you have the receipt because if you don't they won't even consider warranty repair).  Or B. They will inform you that where you bought your watch was not a licensed seller and your watch is ineligible for warranty repair.  

So your watch's illumination will become too dim to use long before they claim and getting them to perform a warranty repair is all but impossible.  However, they always tell you that they will replace the tritium outside the warranty on your dime.  The price for this is pretty high.  I remember that it would have been cheaper for me to buy a new watch than have the tritium in mine replaced.  If you have a really expensive Luminox and deep pockets it might be worth it but not in my case.

I loved my watch. It kept perfect time and up until it became unusable in the dark it was great but there's no way I'd ever buy another because of the cost of replacing the tritium.  I definitely don't recommend unless you have a budget where such things aren't a concern.
View Quote

Thanks @Brandi for the actual experience.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Luminox are junk…
View Quote

X2

They used to be better, but there was a major decline.

Tritium is cool while it lasts, when it gets dull, it sucks. IMO, Timex's Indiglo and Casio, LED display both are better solutions than Tritium for less cash. Paints such as Luminova are my preference for a watch.

A few considerations for your price point:
Casio GWM5610
Timex Expedition
Citizen Promaster
Seiko Turtle (if you want a mechanical watch)

Luminova:

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Do not take the glass off an lick the Glowey Stuff...

Saw a movie about the Chicks that painted the watches back in the day and they all did that.

Turned out bad...
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do not take the glass of an lick the Glowey Stuff...

Saw a movie about the Chicks that painted the watches back in the day and they all did that.

Turned out bad...
View Quote

That was radium. So much cancer…
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That was radium. So much cancer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do not take the glass of an lick the Glowey Stuff...

Turned out bad...

That was radium. So much cancer
Still a Radio active Isotope...

I doubt a few licks would cause much, but doing it all shift can't be good long term.

I could be wrong..
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a Marathon GSAR with tritium tubes.   Coming from modern watch lume of other brands, the tritium appears dimmer when first going into dark spaces.   As your eyes adjust, it really pops, and maintains a sharp brightness.  

If you keep a watch long enough to have the tritium expire (12.5 yrs losing half its brightness), but you love the watch, just send it in for service.  They'll either replace the viles or the dial.    

My Seiko dive watch is over 20 years old, and the lume doesn't last very long, and certainly not through the night.  Many new watches have better lume, but they will certainly dissipate in a few hours or less.  Only my Expl II lume still looks fresh by morning.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got a Marathon GSAR with tritium tubes.   Coming from modern watch lume of other brands, the tritium appears dimmer when first going into dark spaces.   As your eyes adjust, it really pops, and maintains a sharp brightness.  

If you keep a watch long enough to have the tritium expire (12.5 yrs losing half its brightness), but you love the watch, just send it in for service.  They'll either replace the viles or the dial.    

View Quote

I have a GSAR as well and agree exactly with the above.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tritium is a pure beta emitter whereas radium emits mostly alpha particles but due to its decay chain it also emits beta particles, and almost all of its particle emissions are accompanied by gamma rays.  

So with tritium the radiation isn't likely to escape the vials, or penetrate the watch case or movement.  

https://www.betalight.nl/home/what-is-tritium.html

OP If you dont mind big watches the Deep Blue Daynight T-100 is well worth trying.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I did read what your budget was.  I’ll assume you meant Zev G19

Look at the Ball line-up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tritium is a pure beta emitter whereas radium emits mostly alpha particles but due to its decay chain it also emits beta particles, and almost all of its particle emissions are accompanied by gamma rays.  

So with tritium the radiation isn't likely to escape the vials, or penetrate the watch case or movement.  

OP If you dont mind big watches the Deep Blue Daynight T-100 is well worth trying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I jokingly said licking the Tritium, because of that movie.  
I never though rays snd stuff were gonne shoot through the dial and getcha...  :)

My bad....  
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah I prefer coatings over Tritium.

A well design lume coating will remain functional for a good while and work under NV as well.
View Quote

Yup. And unlike Tritium, which WILL get dim over time, and eventually, to the point it needs replacing; my 20+ year old SMP with the SuperLuminova dial, still charges up super bright with a light/flashlight, then stays readable all night long.

*** Considering that SuperLuminova is just Omega's brand name, and the lume compound has been available for 2+ decades, it REALLY pisses me off, that the lume on my much newer G-Shock GWG-2000 is as pathetic as it is
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
*** Considering that SuperLuminova is just Omega's brand name, and the lume compound has been available for 2+ decades, it REALLY pisses me off, that the lume on my much newer G-Shock GWG-2000 is as pathetic as it is
View Quote

A lot of watches still use sub par lume and it cannot be strictly a money issue as there are rather inexpensive brands that have very good lume.   I don't get it.  

LUME WARS - Episode 6! - Tudor, Seiko, Doxa, Phoibos, Vaer, Steeldive etc

Lume Wars! Episode 8! Rolex, Seiko, Zelos, Hamilton, SWC, Hemel etc

The Signum is pretty impressive:
Lume Wars Is Back! Can The Signum Be Beaten?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I did read what your budget was.  I’ll assume you meant Zev G19

Look at the Ball line-up.
View Quote

I bought a Ball Engineer II for the tritium. It's cool but knowing it's on a downward slope of lumination is a bummer. 10 years goes by fast. I do love the watch, though.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A lot of watches still use sub par lume and it cannot be strictly a money issue as there are rather inexpensive brands that have very good lume.   I don't get it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Qie3nWS-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u31ky0KCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqigDAzV76s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Signum looks amazing!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't have any experience with these, but they claim the T100 is much brighter than the standard T25 and "lasts for decades". Number of military styles, correct price range.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool videos.

I'd say some manufacturers just don't really care all that much. I bought a bottle of C3 SuperLuminova about 15+ years ago, just to paint shit I wanted to glow. The stuff still works great. Sad that even expensive watches skimp on this.

As you mentioned, it can't be the cost, if watches that are 1/10th the price, can have better lume than $$$$ - $$$$$ watches.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Tudor luminox omega. All got ~5 seconds of high powered flashlight before hand. Tritium is probably 12 years old at this point

Attachment Attached File

Tudor left, $100 Seiko on the right (my son stole it). He’s also got a Sangin compass too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cool videos.

I'd say some manufacturers just don't really care all that much. I bought a bottle of C3 SuperLuminova about 15+ years ago, just to paint shit I wanted to glow. The stuff still works great. Sad that even expensive watches skimp on this.

As you mentioned, it can't be the cost, if watches that are 1/10th the price, can have better lume than $$$$ - $$$$$ watches.
View Quote

Lume on watches needs to be built up in layers which takes drying time between applications. Some dials have 20+ layers. Budget watch companies probably just see that as a waste of money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Ball Engineer Master II from 2010 or so.  Tritium still works, not as bright as superluminova but is also works all the time.

It's due to be serviced, it runs a bit slow and I need to get a new leather strap for it.  I contacted an authorized service shop last year and the estimate with new tritium tubes was around $500.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lume on watches needs to be built up in layers which takes drying time between applications. Some dials have 20+ layers. Budget watch companies probably just see that as a waste of money.
View Quote

It really depends on the company.  I mean if someone like Steeldive can make a decent all night phosphorescent lume anybody probably can.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It really depends on the company.  I mean if someone like Steeldive can make a decent all night phosphorescent lume anybody probably can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Guessing he didn't watch the videos.

Watches that cost a hundred dollars (@sgtlmj, the Steeldive Sub homage/replica is literally USD $99), with better lume than watches that cost a few thousand dollars.

If a $99 watch can have it, it isn't the cost. It just seems like some manufacturers just can't be bothered.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I have posted some fairly detailed stuff on Lume here before, but I’ll just be a little more brief and practical.

Brand new tritium paint dials are fantastic Lume.  The best.
You can be in a dark cave for a month and it will still be functioning.

It will be as bright before dawn as it was at the start of the night.
It does not have to be charged by light.
And in five years it’s still pretty good, but by ten it’s typically not all that useful anymore.
It will have some brief reminders of its former glory if you charge it with light but it will quickly fade out.

It was damn near harmless, especially compared to radium, and a much better half life than promethium.
But damn near harmless was not good enough and it was phased out.

Superluminova type stuff is fantastic.  It does not seem to age.  And has decent Lume.  But it must be charged by light, and noticeably fades as the night goes on.  

A work around was some companies decided to use little tubes of tritium like you seen on gun sights.
And it is good Lume with the same pros and cons as the tritium paint style.  Only, there seems to be less material involved, it drives costs up, and seems to have a less practical longevity.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought there were some companies which still made radium dial watches. I would like one of those.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I thought there were some companies which still made radium dial watches. I would like one of those.
View Quote

No they tint modern lume to look like "old radium":
From The Trenches - Vario 1918 Trench Watch
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

My modest tool…

DeepBlue DayNight T100

I love that I can see it over background light and the trit does not fade like lume.

My experience with coatings is a couple hours after dark I can’t read them over background light. For me it makes them a worthless paperweight at night. T100 is fantastic. While not as bright as good lume at first it takes decades to fade.

Also, I’m hard on watches. I have a tendency to inadvertently hammer them on things. This DeepBlue I’ve worn for 4 years and I just can’t kill it! Hell not a scratch on the crystal just a couple marks on the outer dial. The stainless has almost taken a matt finish from all of the wear and abuse.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the GWS G10, and its a cut above the Traser and Luminox. 8-10yr battery, solid steel screw in watch pins, 200m water resistance, and a optimal 40mm size. Really a wonderful, practical watch.

https://www.militarywatchshop.co.uk/section/h3-gws-g10/

If you're out at night a lot like I am, Tritium is the way to go. It completely crushes ordinary lume in terms of endurance, and is always on. Very comforting if you wake up in the middle of the night as well. Lume starts off much brighter, but within 20 minutes Tritium overtakes it, and within 2hrs theres no comparison.

Lumed watches vs Tritium illuminated watch (20 minute time lapse in the dark)

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have the GWS G10, and its a cut above the Traser and Luminox. 8-10yr battery, solid steel screw in watch pins, 200m water resistance, and a optimal 40mm size. Really a wonderful, practical watch.

https://i.ibb.co/f9Szc5Q/GWS-G10-Tritium-Field-Watch-wrist-shot-kitchen.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/rb8Zp1x/GWS-G10-Tritium-dog-walk.jpg

If you're out at night a lot like I am, Tritium is the way to go. It completely crushes ordinary lume in terms of endurance, and is always on. Very comforting if you wake up in the middle of the night as well. Lume starts off much brighter, but within 20 minutes Tritium overtakes it, and within 2hrs theres no comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PIH5kXUAn0

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been thinking about a watch with Tritium illumination for a while.  They seem very cool and functional, but having zero experience I don't know how they do in practice,

I've been looking at Traser or Luminox.  My watch budget is basically no more than I'd pay for a G-19, so definitely towards the poors category.

https://i.ibb.co/f9Szc5Q/GWS-G10-Tritium-Field-Watch-wrist-shot-kitchen.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/rb8Zp1x/GWS-G10-Tritium-dog-walk.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PIH5kXUAn0

I bought one of those lumed dial airmen - unfortunately the 24 hr hand was installed 1/2 hr. off (it is only adjustable in full hours) then they scratched the crystal so I got my money back.

For a lumed dial, the replacement Squale is brighter.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Tritium is not the answer you seek. Anyone who has own tritium sights will tell you that they are great at first... but are all but useless after not very long.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yup. Guessing he didn't watch the videos.

Watches that cost a hundred dollars (@sgtlmj, the Steeldive Sub homage/replica is literally USD $99), with better lume than watches that cost a few thousand dollars.

If a $99 watch can have it, it isn't the cost. It just seems like some manufacturers just can't be bothered.
View Quote

It also makes a difference if the indices are applied. They can just fill up a 3D index, where on a printed dial they usually aren't that thick... Except for Seiko's Lumibrite. They have some sorcery over there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't have any experience with these, but they claim the T100 is much brighter than the standard T25 and "lasts for decades". Number of military styles, correct price range.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61K-aK6QSfL._AC_UX679_.jpg
https://www.armourlite.com/assets/images/ISO3010-night.jpg
View Quote

wtf is that the Las Vegas lights edition?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bought one of those lumed dial airmen - unfortunately the 24 hr hand was installed 1/2 hr. off (it is only adjustable in full hours) then they scratched the crystal so I got my money back.

https://i.imgur.com/5L8lX2q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TPiUhKm.jpg

@sywagon which squale is that? My kid is a fan

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61K-aK6QSfL._AC_UX679_.jpg
https://www.armourlite.com/assets/images/ISO3010-night.jpg
View Quote

My IsoBrite has served me well for a long time.

G19 budget-friendly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It also makes a difference if the indices are applied. They can just fill up a 3D index, where on a printed dial they usually aren't that thick... Except for Seiko's Lumibrite. They have some sorcery over there.
View Quote
This is true. Sadly it's one of the very few things (IMO) that Seiko gets consistently right.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/5L8lX2q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TPiUhKm.jpg

@sywagon which squale is that? My kid is a fan

Thanks - it is a 50 Atmos "Full Luminous"

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tritium is not the answer you seek. Anyone who has own tritium sights will tell you that they are great at first... but are all but useless after not very long.
View Quote

Oh, is that the reason why they paint sights with lume paint?  That right, they dont do that, so why make a tangential comparison?

My first ball watch is 17 years old.  Still has some glow to it.  I stopped wearing it years ago, because I got another Ball watch.   I got the second watch because I wanted it, nothing to do with lume on the first watch.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

A watch is a lot more visible / brighter than pistol sights.

With sights, you are only seeing the end of the tritium tube. Most of the illumination is hidden within the steel. It's basically the worst case scenario for visibility.

With a watch, you are seeing the full length of the tube, which is vastly more surface area / tritium exposed to your eyeballs.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

With a watch, you are seeing the full length of the tube, which is vastly more surface area / tritium exposed ]
View Quote

There are also "flat"  tube watches now with even more surface area and no need to adhere to the limits of the cylinder tube form factor.  Those are pretty cool.

Also a few watches that combine lumes:
Aquatico Super Ocean (SW200) T100 Tritium Watch
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I bought a S&W tritium watch with a Ti band about 14 years ago. Loved that thing, super bright and super light. I'd have to set it face down on my nightstand when I went to bed or the light would disturb me. Wore it every day until a rock took it out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Tritium watches are like ACOGs.  They're great at first and really useful for years.  At some point a few years later you see a new one and realize how much yours has faded.   However, yours is still more or less good enough, and you hate to spend the money to get it serviced, when it's sort of close to what you could find a new one for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top