Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2021 2:48:57 PM EDT
It’s been a couple of decades since I’ve drank “rice wine” and didn’t care much for it warm. Last time was in the Mountain View California area and a group I was with were doing “Sake-Bombs” and I kind of liked that.

Been wanting to have a traditional drink when the wife brings home Sushi.....what’s good / bad / readily available...?

Anything you care to share is appreciated.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a ton of sake’s to choose from. My personal favorite is cold unfiltered. Sometimes see it as pearl sake. Sorry don’t know much more than I like it.

Selection locally sucks. When we go to a big town I’ll look for a place with a good selection and buy a few bottles.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't remember any of the brands, but all of the fruit sakes I've had have been great. Still, nothing like hot sake served from the proper vessel. I've started many nights of debauchery that way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/soju/jinro-chamisul-grapefruit/p/179226375?glia=true&s=535&&pid=cpc:Core+Catalog+-+Shopping%2BUS%2BTEXA%2BENG%2BSPART::google::&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYb1x8fX8AIV-25vBB289AYuEAQYASABEgLl1_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I always try a different sake every time I go out to have sushi. Usually once a month or so.
This is the best I have ever had, be careful they sneak up on you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai is the best readily available sake that you could probably happen onto in the US. Drink it lightly chilled in a nice wine glass, none of the silly decorative glasses.

Sake is broken into grades and styles, all based on the source of the rice, level of polish on the rice, grind of the rice before fermenting, and style of production.

junmai is one of the main terms you want to look for, as it just means pure rice and is a guarentee of the polish of the rice used. The greater the polishing the more of the bitter husky is removed, leaving just the starchy grain to ferment.

after that you have classes

Futsushu which is just your basic garbage table sake that some consider just a cooking sake. Its harsh and usually is proofed up with some rough distilled rice liquor
Honjozo is next up, more polished rice and lower percentage of distille liquor added
Ginjo is the next up and is generally available and enjoyable, well made sake without any added liquor. a proper rice wine.
Daiginjo are the big dogs. Most all of the hull of the rice is removed in polishing and is usually very pricy. Make sure you look at the brewed date. you want these to be brewed within one year of when you are drinking it. have it lightly chilled in a good wine glass.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m a big fan of Hana Fuji Apple.  I don’t drink a lot but tend to enjoy a few every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I despise warm sake, but have recently been drinking much more sake when I can. Went to a brewery last weekend and did a taste tour and wow, delicious stuff!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top