Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/2/2023 3:33:55 PM EDT
Because we're going this year. A buddy of mine is going through his midlife "I have to hit all the big party spots" phase and talked us into going with him and his wife.

We're staying on the south edge of the French Quarter. We're also already planning on hitting the National WWII Museum.

Any other "must see" type stuff, other than the parades?

I know NO can get hairy, especially after dark, in some places. Anywhere close to the French Quarter that we should avoid, especially at night? From the maps, it looks like much of that area is pretty built up, so I'm assuming most of it is safe enough.

Anything else I should know?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay the hell out of NO. Go somewhere else. Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Mobile... It's where it started anyway...
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It's actually awesome

Had my 2 year old and 6 year old out there with us
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

As a Louisiana native, this.  New Orleans is a filthy nasty unwelcoming place.  And dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done Mardi Gras in NOLA and Mobile, but Pensacola is more my speed. Hit me up if you come to town, I'll get you in a parade.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
go to aruba for mardi gras....have been to many over the years....great party

they take it very serious....it is almost to the level of cult or sub-religion

it's a month long party that is the result of a whole year of planning

seriously, they start planning for the next one before the dust has even settled on the one that just finished

have to make reservations far ahead

very safe, if you are not stupid

no titties though....although they come as close as you can without showing it all....serious road march

serious music too....bring your ear plugs

very welcoming to the "tourist" element....gracious to the point of giving you their own food and drink,
which is plentiful and quite tasty

go....you wont regret it
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I worked in New Orleans for eight years in television news. Every year, my assignment on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras day) was to report from the French Quarter. So, I'm a bit of an expert.
Since your friend is specifically interested in a bucket list party experience, he chose well. Mardi Gras on Bourbon Street is worth the effort.
Click To View SpoilerMy bad  No spoiler. Must have clicked a wrong key.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in NOLA many times a year.   I personally like the place, but you should pay very close attention to the negative things people say…because they are not wrong.

I am part of a krewe, so my Mardi Gras experience and level of participation has been a lot more intimate than most.  I love it.

Having said that, as I get older, I find myself only going to town for 12th night. The start of the season and mostly for locals.  The weather is also often mild or even chilly. I find it to be just the right amount of Mardi Gras.

Unless you want the full 24/7 can’t get any sleep experience, don’t stay in the Quarter, Marigny, business district or within two streets on either side of Saint Charles till Napoleon street.

If you can get a very upper floor on a tall hotel in those area, you will be a little insulated from the noise, but I would find something out of those areas.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a blast going to a few when I was in my 20's. In my 50's, I wouldn't even consider it. Enjoy pissing in the street.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I did it once in 1989 it was rainy but fun.
Had to give a NOLA cop a $20 because he caught me in an alley peeing.
I would not do it again now a days but go for it!
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Ever been stabbed?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope you are reading all these responses. Take heed. Avoid New Orleans.
Go to Mobile or come to Lafayette for a safer experience.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone should go at least once, but don't feel the need to stay out too late.  Going to the Quarter in the morning can actually be as much fun as being there at night.

Some tips:

1.  Don't get blasted.
2.  Have a plan for not getting your pockets picked.  
3.  Know when the parades are scheduled and their routes.  If you want to avoid the craziness, try to catch them outside of the Quarter.  
4.  I would stay off of Bourbon street after 11pm or so.  
5.  Take lots of pictures.  
6.  For lunch, try a Muff at Central Grocery washed down with a Hurricane.    At some point, stop by Cafe du Monde and get a snack.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't be done. It's a done deal.

Given my preference, we'd have gone elsewhere. I was outvoted.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to Mobile, find a friend that can get you into a ball, rent tails, get trashed, and you won't get shot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I worked in New Orleans for eight years in television news. Every year, my assignment on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras day) was to report from the French Quarter. So, I'm a bit of an expert.
Since your friend is specifically interested in a bucket list party experience, he chose well. Mardi Gras on Bourbon Street is worth the effort.
Click To View SpoilerMy bad  No spoiler. Must have clicked a wrong key.
View Quote

That was the idea. So that's what we're doing.

I have no doubts he's done his research.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a blast going to a few when I was in my 20's. In my 50's, I wouldn't even consider it. Enjoy pissing in the street.
View Quote
My grandparents went for the first and only time in their 70's.  Keep in mind that you don't have to hang out on Bourbon street until 2am.  You can catch a lot of parades and be home in bed before it gets crazy.  Also, Canal Street was never too crazy and St. Charles was tame and safe for the family. At least, that's how I remember it, maybe its changed.  

TBH, I think New Years Eve is more fun, but everyone should do Mardi Gras at least once.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I went 20+ years ago.

From what I can recall, there were lots of titties and lots of trash.

Some of both were on the ground.

EDIT: everything smells like piss and puke or a combination of the two.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ever been stabbed?
View Quote

Can't say as I have.

Probably going to opt out of that experience.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know NO can get hairy, especially after dark, in some places. Anywhere close to the French Quarter that we should avoid, especially at night? From the maps, it looks like much of that area is pretty built up, so I'm assuming most of it is safe enough.
?
View Quote

No matter when you are in NOLA:

On foot

Don’t go past N Rampart.  (The northwest border  of the Quarter)

I wouldn’t go much past Elysian Fields ave in the Marigny.

I would be careful once you get past Canal, and stay close to the water (a few streets close to the water where stuff is)

Ride the trolly. Take the Saint Charles one.  Go see the WW II museum. (It is amazing)

People tend to stay around the quarter.  Most of the quarter is residential. It’s just a weird neighborhood people live in with an insane amount of tourists, buskers and crooks.  It can be wonderful but when you find yourself in the areas where those kinds of people aren’t…watch your back.

While everyone must do it….Cafe Du Monde is a pain. Go to Cafe Beignet on Decatur or Royal.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I went 20+ years ago.

From what I can recall, there were lots of titties and lots of trash.

Some of both were on the ground.
View Quote

Yeah, I have no doubts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#26]
You'll have a great time if you like crowds, inflated prices, watered-down drinks, and watching addicts and drunks vomit and piss.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I went a few times when I lived in Houston. Made the mistake of bringing a GF once.

NO is already disgusting. Mardi Gras turns it up to 1000. Don’t wear anything you’re not prepared to throw away at the end of the night. Don’t wear shorts.

Go to Willie Mae’s for the best fried chicken you’ll ever have. Just make sure you can see your vehicle through the window and expanded metal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#28]
The city can’t even get enough cops to staff the routes and have reached out statewide for cops to come work it. Nearly all the neighboring parishes have said hell no.

If you need police there will not be any to come help. Every bad guy in the city knows this. Do what you will with that info.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember saying I wanted to go years ago. A older friend clued me in. I got over it real fast. Sounds absolutely disgusting! And I mean the people.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I saw people pissing in the streets, puking everywhere, it was hot and cramped, incredibly loud, and the smell was horrible.

Wear long pants and shoes you don't mind throwing away.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#31]
511 St. Louis Street

Get a sandwich.

You’re welcome
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Shithole.

Get up early and walk the streets. You’ll see trash on the curb waiting for pickup and shop owners washing the street juice down the gutter. Shit. Hole.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Avoid it like the plague.
Mobile or Lafayette. And as a former resident of both, I'd  do Lafayette. You can hit Iota or Mamou on Mardi Gras morning for a more traditional country version.
I heard they did away with the Boucherie in St. Martinville, bummer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Rode w/ the Krewe Of Bacchus twice, and attended numerous Mardi Gras Balls at the Convention Center (Dad was a member).    It was a freaking blast.

Go see Bacchus or Endymion.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Good advise, I live just south of NO. If you watch what you are doing and stay focus, it could be a good time and experience . If you run into an issue "DO NOT ARGUE" with the local police!! Take care of your business and move on. don't wait around to discuss etc.  And this is coming from a LEO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#36]
1) ALL the hotels/buildings/structures on Bourbon St. are ancient FIRE TRAPS.
2) NO WAY to escape the crowds quickly in the event of an emergency
3) CRIME is bad bad bad.
4) Don't go,,,ever.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Mostly this, so if you're a woman, the leg humpers will be all over you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good advise, I live just south of NO. If you watch what you are doing and stay focus, it could be a good time and experience . If you run into an issue "DO NOT ARGUE" with the local police!! Take care of your business and move on. don't wait around to discuss etc.  And this is coming from a LEO.
View Quote

Lurker for 10+ years and he comes through with an informative and helpful post.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I love NOLA, but I wouldn't go anywhere near it during Mardi Gras.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Good time, but if you're walking up a street and the women start getting kind of tall, you've walked too far.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve never been but I’ve heard the Mardi Gras in Mamou,LA is a great time. I know people who go every year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mostly this, so if you're a woman, the leg humpers will be all over you.https://live.staticflickr.com/3108/2354104706_8835faa6bb_b.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
511 St. Louis Street

Get a sandwich.

You’re welcome
View Quote

Johnny's po-boys!! My man.

Roast beef
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#44]
My favorite part was going on the swamp tour.  The swamp smelled better and was cleaner. I wish I was joking.  Fuck that place.  Missed walking through a gunfight on canal Street by about 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good time, but if you're walking up a street and the women start getting kind of tall, you've walked too far.
View Quote

That made me actually LOL
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#46]
If God doesn’t destroy New Orleans, he owes Sodom and Gomorrah an apology. Mardi Gras is insane.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
We were told walking past the tranny bar meant you wanted to be robbed and stabbed.  Saw fights every 20 minutes or so outside from a balcony. No cops in sight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I went when I was 18. Had a fucking blast. Haven't been back since. Probably won't go again. I'm still kind of surprised I came home alive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Avoid it like the plague.
Mobile or Lafayette. And as a former resident of both, I'd  do Lafayette. You can hit Iota or Mamou on Mardi Gras morning for a more traditional country version.
I heard they did away with the Boucherie in St. Martinville, bummer.
View Quote

They had to cancel the St Martinville celebration due to too many diverse people from all over the south started treating it like their own personal playground.  Last one was in 2015 IIRC.  Business owners got sick of their places being trashed and pitched a fit.  Instead of being labeled racist the powers that be gave up and just cancelled the thing altogether.  Really sad as it was a long standing tradition down there.  They ruin everything.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

My hotel shuttle driver told us, "if you start hearing dick suckin' music and realize there ain't enough women around, you done gone too far."

That always stuck with me. Pretty good life advice there. .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top