Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/20/2018 7:05:08 PM EDT
I have been considering taking my wife there as a complete surprise.  Leave the kids home.  Would be in July.  Already an expensive summer due things.... but.  Considering getting plane tickets flying up and hanging out a few days.

Anybody ever stay at the Murray hotel?  I looked online, I see there are better, but it seems positioned well on the island and seems decent.

Anything, anybody, Bueller?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No cars on the island, horse drawn everything.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep that is the biggest draw for us both.  And the temperature.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been

Second to Pictured Rocks in the UP

If anyone here has a chance to go, do it

It’s gorgeous in the fall

ETA picture of me at the fort two summers ago

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Visit the fort.  It was garrisoned by the Royal Americans and they were wiped out there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Lot's of fudge, the kind you eat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
and bicycles
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s cool to go to on occasion. Fort Mackinac on the hill is interesting. I’ll be in the UP this July to visit family, going go on the Shipwreck Tour in the town of Marquette.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
be prepared to hear every single person you meet, pronounce it the wrong way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
be prepared to hear every single person you meet, pronounce it the wrong way.
View Quote
My understanding is Mack-N-naw?

Is that right?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you want horseshit because that’s how you get horseshit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldnt imagine theres much difference in summer temperature between mackinac island and texas......might even be more humid on the island....
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My understanding is Mack-N-naw?

Is that right?
View Quote
Correct.

Sadly, I've lived in MI my whole life, and have never been there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldnt imagine theres much difference in summer temperature between mackinac island and texas......might even be more humid on the island....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the historical weather stats I have read show low to mid 80's as record highs in July.  Is that wrong?  They are showing average daily high in the 70's.

My backyard average daily high in July is about 105.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#14]
They have fudge, a hotel with a big porch, no cars, and pissy cold weather. I never bothered with it myself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Been there lots of times as a kid. Fort Michlamackinac is a cool tour. Fort Mackinac isn't actually on the island, it's on the lower peninsula and was also cool, but less impressive as a tour. The fudge is great and the Grand Hotel is beautiful.

The drive from any airport I'm aware of is extremely long, and there isn't much to see in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All the historical weather stats I have read show low to mid 80's as record highs in July.  Is that wrong?  They are showing average daily high in the 70's.

View Quote
Humidity will teach you that the difference between Texas 105 and Michigan 80 is not as vast as you think.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except for the emergency vehicles - fire trucks, ambulance.

I went there every July for years, but haven't been since 2013.  Not that much changes year to year.  The fudge and the horse dung smell the same every summer.

The Murray is okay, but keep in mind that everything on the island is absurdly expensive.  My preference was the Iroquois at the west end of the main drag - an old hotel, but nicely maintained, and a bit quieter than in the middle of the tourist strip.  The Grand Hotel is nice to visit, but I never thought it was a great place to stay overnight.

A visit to the Pink Pony bar in the Chippewa Hotel was mandatory, especially after finishing the Bayview or Chicago sailing races.

There are the usual tourist traps and things to do, such as the fort.  But try to see some of the places that are off the beaten track.  There are really two islands: the downtown packed with fudgies (tourists) and tourist traps, and the rest of the island that most people don't see much of.  And at night, it's actually nice to stroll down the main drag.

Or consider staying in Mackinac City or St. Ignace and taking the ferry over for the day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One of the most beautiful places I've ever been

Second to Pictured Rocks in the UP

If anyone here has a chance to go, do it

It's gorgeous in the fall

ETA picture of me at the fort two summers ago

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464598/4E65AF96-C8D6-4FEC-9AD7-556253C41FE1-550380.JPG
View Quote
There actually two forts on the island. The big fort is the main attraction but you used to
could walk to the original fort, which was little more than a 360 degree berm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#19]
You could fly into Alpena or Traverse City and then rent a car. It’s something like 2 hours from Alpena to Mackinac City. Unsure how long from Traverse City.

Plane tickets into either airport are going to be expensive. You’re better off flying into Detroit and then driving the 6-7 hours up north.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im going by my time spent living in that general area.......visitors dont generally know that it often gets hotter than a motherfucker up there in the summer.......at least thats been my experience....

There are few things better in life than standing in lake superior neck deep in 90 degree weather.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:m

View All Quotes
Quoted:m
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a

Youl want to take a jacket if your used to 105...

We usually go all the way up to lake superior in the up.. They don't worry about a.c. In the hotel till around late June lol

We always smile when we see kids run down to the beach on a hot day and scream as they hit the 55 degree water of superior.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Fun and interesting place to visit.  Take a couple days to survey the island and Mackinaw City which is on the "mainland."  The bridge is really a marvel of engineering and there is a bridge museum on the second floor of an Italian restaurant in Mackinaw City. . . can't recall the name.

Overall, Mackinaw area is very "touristy."  Do yourself a favor and drive south down the Lake Michigan coast and visit Petoskey, Charlevoix and Traverse City.  Beautiful drive along US 31 and each of those towns has a variety of things to see and do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You could fly into Alpena or Traverse City and then rent a car. It's something like 2 hours from Alpena to Mackinac City. Unsure how long from Traverse City.

Plane tickets into either airport are going to be expensive. You're better off flying into Detroit and then driving the 6-7 hours up north.
View Quote
$650 round trip for both of us flying into Sault Ste Marie.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Buy fudge.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Better than I expected! You have to make sure you drive the Mackinaw Bridge. View is gorgeous.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Better than I expected! You have to make sure you drive the Mackinaw Bridge. View is gorgeous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You could fly into Alpena or Traverse City and then rent a car. It’s something like 2 hours from Alpena to Mackinac City. Unsure how long from Traverse City.

Plane tickets into either airport are going to be expensive. You’re better off flying into Detroit and then driving the 6-7 hours up north.
View Quote
Not sure if AA is still flying direct from DFW to TVC (Traverse City), but they were doing that route in the summers.  Otherwise, it's a connection through ORD or DTW (if you go Delta).

Pellston is probably the closest airport with commercial service, but expensive to fly into.  Actually, everything north of Flint is expensive to fly into.  You could fly into DTW and rent a car; it's about five hours to Mackinac City allowing for some traffic.

Alpena would not be my first (or second or third or...) choice of airports to fly into.

TVC would be first based on frequency of service, but the drive can easily be two hours with the summer traffic - the shortest route is along the lake, but that requires going through Charlevoix and Petoskey, both clogged with tourists in the summer.  Or go inland to I-75 and then up to the bridge - longer but probably just as fast and less traffic.  Not nearly as scenic, though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Born n raised Northern Michigan.  Drove schoolbus in the eighties.  Took the fifth grade class for a three day excursion to Mackinac Island several years.  Three or four teachers and a couple bus drivers .  I would take about a dozen of the most incourageable hard to handle boys.  Hike their little butts off for two or three hours, around the island, thru the cemetery, the fort and wherever I could.  They were too tired to give me much trouble.  Nice place to visit, for a history buff.  Do your research before you go.  Rent a bike or take your own.  Fun!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#29]
If you're holding on to a really heavy rock while trying to throw it in the water, make sure to let go before you get to the end of your throw...

Not that 8 year old me would have any reason to be concerned about such things...
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#30]
How’d you decide on flying into the Soo?

Also, if you’re going to be in the Soo, you HAVE to go watch the Lakes freighter locking through. Amazing to watch! Back in 1992, I saw the Arthur M. Anderson lock through. She was the Laker shadowing the Edmund Fitzgerald the night the Fitz went down.

I believe the Soo has a boat schedule. Museum is great too!

Grandparents took their travel trailer up to St Ignace for the entire summer for many years. I visited The Island many times.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How'd you decide on flying into the Soo?

Also, if you're going to be in the Soo, you HAVE to go watch the Lakes freighter locking through. Amazing to watch! Back in 1992, I saw the Arthur M. Anderson lock through. She was the Laker shadowing the Edmund Fitzgerald the night the Fitz went down.

I believe the Soo has a boat schedule. Museum is great too!
View Quote
Blind luck.  Looked at flight schedules, the map etc.  Said that is bang for buck, maybe we will fly into there??
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#32]
It's really beautiful. Make sure you step into the lake, it's suuper cold.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Humidity will teach you that the difference between Texas 105 and Michigan 80 is not as vast as you think.
View Quote
There is a big span of TX humidity....big difference from western tx to Port Arthur where it the avg humidity knocking on 80%
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Sault Locks were a cool thing to see too!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#35]
OP it's like going back in time.

Really cool place especially if you like horses.

My recommendation is to stay in Mackinac City at the Hamilton.  ferry over for the day.  this lets you do other cool shit in like go across the mackican bridge, visit the origial fort, light houses etc

Also while in Michigan fly into Detroit and on the way visit this stuff

Holland
Frankenmuth (sp?)
Thunder Bay ship museum *fucking awesome
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Prior to taking the ferry over to the island, check the various companies web sites to see which departure takes you under the Mackinaw Bridge.  Most runs are direct to and from the island but a few take a roundabout route and you get to see the bridge from the water up.  The trip costs the same as the direct runs but the view is something most people never get to see.

The island is crowded all summer long so be careful when waking around.  If you aren't dodging piles of horse shit it's the hundreds of bicycles that keep you on your toes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thunder Bay ship museum *fucking awesome
View Quote
In Alpena. Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary. I’ll be shipwreck diving there in August. Museum is free.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They have fudge, a hotel with a big porch, no cars, and pissy cold weather. I never bothered with it myself.
View Quote
LOL.  You probably prefer Myrtle Beach during red neck week...aka...every week.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I assume you watched this movie years ago.

Somewhere in Time Official Trailer #1 - Christopher Reeve Movie (1980) HD
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Years ago I went on a dinner cruise under the bridge with my parents. Pretty impressive view.

Looks like they still do it for special occasions. Probably out of your budget tho!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Sault Locks were a cool thing to see too!
View Quote
It’s the Soo, regardless of official name.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I assume you watched this movie years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uicvPZSKIM
View Quote
Not even once.  Never heard of it...for real.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Pack a sweat shirt just in case. We had to buy warm gear for the family one year. It was a fluke but you never know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pack a sweat shirt just in case. We had to buy warm gear for the family one year. It was a fluke but you never know.
View Quote
Was gonna make sure to pack hoodies and some long pants.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You could fly into Alpena or Traverse City and then rent a car. It's something like 2 hours from Alpena to Mackinac City. Unsure how long from Traverse City.

Plane tickets into either airport are going to be expensive. You're better off flying into Detroit and then driving the 6-7 hours up north.
View Quote
Traverse City is a pretty awesome stop if you had an extra day. Great places to eat and wineries on the peninsula. Some awesome restraunts. Drive 1 hour west and go to sleeping bear dunes and Glen Arbor. Grab lunch at Art's Tavern. My dad is in Arcadia MI near the dunes. About 100' from Lake Michigan. The water is cold as fuck until August when it finally becomes just cold as shit.

I paint watercolors and it really is one of the most picturesque areas I have ever been to.

Drive from Toledo is exactly 5 hours to Traverse. Pretty sure Mackinac is about the same. So, somewhat less from Detroit. Michigan is a shithole until you cross the Zilwaukee bridge north of Saginaw. Ohio is Southshithole.

I haven't been to Mackinac since i was a kid but it I remember it vividly as beautiful and temperate the whole time my family was there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

having worked in both, I prefer the TX 105 (Midland TX)

OP You will enjoy it and it will be a bit cooler being surrounded by water.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have done Midland 105.  Was amazingly cool.  As long as you kept drinking water.  I learned that on the first day there.  You tend to run out of water real fast, you gotta drink before you get thirsty.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#48]
The Winchester on the island has good food.
We stayed in St. Ignance. Bike rental to ride around and sight see was worth it. We used the bike place on the far east side of the main drag south of the fort.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd fly into either Traverse City or Sawyer International outside Marquette. Both of those towns are worth a stop and your time - MQT being about 2 hours further from Mackinaw than TC.  If you go through MQT you'll pass through Munising and Pictured Rocks. If you go through TC, visit the drive up M22 and back around through Glen Arbor and Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#50]
If you are from Texas, you are probably pronouncing it wrong, so there's that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top