Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2020 9:01:20 PM EDT
Hey guys, been getting into space/ science specifically after watching a recent Joe Rogan with an astronaut. Any of you guys have any recommendations for the best telescope for the cheapest price possible?  Anything you guys use?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Celestron.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Any specific model you use or recommend?   Mind you I live in a city and only get out of it every few weeks
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Look used. Good deals out there to be had
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of budget?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
No idea.  Not sure how the quality equals the price
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s just like stereo gear, cheap stuff sorta works, stuff that costs cubic dollars works amazing. Stuff that’s merely expensive still works very well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s just like stereo gear, cheap stuff sorta works, stuff that costs cubic dollars works amazing. Stuff that’s merely expensive still works very well.
View Quote
So 200 or under ?  Is that reasonable?  Also with telescopes of this size ( small) how much is there to truly look at?  Im guessing a few planets ( bright lights). Stars and the moon. But once you've seen that stuff can you really " explore" space for years to come?  Is there anything that I didn't see this month that I'll see next yr ?    My worry is dropping 200 dollars for something I may use a few times etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So 200 or under ?  Is that reasonable?  Also with telescopes of this size ( small) how much is there to truly look at?  Im guessing a few planets ( bright lights). Stars and the moon. But once you've seen that stuff can you really " explore" space for years to come?  Is there anything that I didn't see this month that I'll see next yr ?    My worry is dropping 200 dollars for something I may use a few times etc.
View Quote
200 wont do much.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you do go forward on a cheap scope, prioritize your dollars towards a solid mount over aperture or magnification. Solidly mounted crappy optics will still be more satisfying than good optics that you can't point or hold steady. A lot of low dollar scopes come with a cheapo tripod and guarantee a bad experience. You might have better luck with a tabletop scope and a picnic table.

Unfortunately, statistically a $200 scope will most likely end up in the closet. Or, you have a good experience and immediately start the upgrade process.

Binoculars and a mount might be something to consider as a starting point also. The binocs can serve double duty and most will do a good job on the night sky if you get them mounted up.

Maybe start by checking out www.telescope.com
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I got a Meade ETX-90 about 20 years ago. Interesting, quality and durable piece of equipment.

Makes a decent spotting scope when I'm not stargazing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
auto-confirm and a star chart.

After seeing moons around Jupiter, you'll get excited.
View Quote
And a decent set of field glasses can have some real advantages.

Cheap stuff without good multicoating lose a lot of light.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Binoculars and a star chart.

View Quote
For me it was accidentally finding Saturn which was presenting it's rings in an absolutely classic view. Forty years ago with a first generation C8 and the magic is still there every time. Amateur Astronomy is numba one best hobby.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For me it was accidentally finding Saturn which was presenting it's rings in an absolutely classic view. Forty years ago with a first generation C8 and the magic is still there every time. Amateur Astronomy is numba one best hobby.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the problems is that ever increasing spill of light on the earth at night.
You may have to go many miles from any large city to avoid all the light they
leak upwards that then illuminates the dust in the atmosphere and blocks seeing dim stars.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, unless you want to see a few blurry planets
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$200 will not even get a decent set of binoculars.

The cheap Chinee ones have so much flare they are useless in dim light. Like dim stars.
Using a pair of Nikon or Pentax 10 x 40 on a clear night and you can see all sorts of things.
The number of stars you can see is simply gigantic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Start watching offer up, Craigs list, fb market.....lots of used scope deals
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a 12 inch reflector I made in high school.
Edmund Optical used to sell all the things required
to grind out mirrors and slit 'figure' them.

Stopped using it about ten to fifteen years later and sold it.
IIRC someone in West Virginia bought it.

That is about as far as I would have to drive from Northern Virginia to have enough sky darkness to use it.

If you looked at the moon with it you needed some heavy neutral density filters.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Especially close recently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top