Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Anyone who dismisses his writings based on his crimes likely hasn’t read any of his stuff.
View Quote

Completely writing off the validity of a person's beliefs because of their methods or overall opinion on things is for simpletons. You can agree with some of a person's beliefs without agreeing with all of them. You can agree with beliefs without agreeing with methods.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well, you can't eat your cake and have it too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He's a genius in the literal sense. I've seen his IQ quoted as anywhere between 130-160+. He figured terrorism was the only way his message would spread, and I'm not endorsing what he did, but honestly he was probably right.
View Quote

I would say closer to 160 than 130.  When he did his PhD board or whatever it's called, nobody in it could understand his thesis.  They said there are probably 4-5 people in the world who could.  Guy was a certifiable genius.  Just crazy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Look just because In his second year at Harvard, Kaczynski participated in a purposely brutalizing psychological experiment as part of project MK ultra ran by the CIA

There is no evidence that this had any effect on him at all.
Just pure coincidence.

You'll be telling me next there were more than one person in the van and one of them was a German spy who was just let off to go back to Germany a free man.
View Quote

Kaczynski was one of the academic guys that he was warning us about.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would say closer to 160 than 130.  When he did his PhD board or whatever it's called, nobody in it could understand his thesis.  They said there are probably 4-5 people in the world who could.  Guy was a certifiable genius.  Just crazy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's a genius in the literal sense. I've seen his IQ quoted as anywhere between 130-160+. He figured terrorism was the only way his message would spread, and I'm not endorsing what he did, but honestly he was probably right.

Yeah, he actually earned a real PhD., not one of the many watered down, "diploma mill" PhD.'s that the academic world is churning out now, and has been for at least the last 15 years.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only real fault I could find in Industrial Society and it’s Future was the idea that mankind would ever let go of any of its technological advances and revert to a pre industrial revolution state. The very idea that it was possible seemed naive to me. I always felt that his assessment of our immediate needs being easily met and searching for purpose through surrogate activities hit the nail on the head 100%. Should be required reading. Anyone who dismisses his writings based on his crimes likely hasn’t read any of his stuff.
View Quote

Maybe I misread his intention, you might know better than me, but I thought Kascinskys point was that there was nothing that could be done about it. That the progression of scientific inquiry for profit made advancement inevitable.

I don't think he actually thought it could be stopped because of exactly the reason you said. The world can't unknow anything, and the lure of the next discovery will always have beneficial impact.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He may have been correct, but he would still be a free man living in his cabin if he hadn’t mailed all those bombs out.
View Quote
One of those bombs was mailed to a forest ranger that is friends with my next door neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As another aside I saw a funny meme a few years ago about AnPrivs but I don't remember it fully.

It was like a guy getting chased by a tiger but he's not allowed glasses or a firearm so that's the way it goes lol

Lololol

I found it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/hDE_GH69BfvzuyjPezN0rGAVhC_vCH02-VN0x0mm-2108563.jpg

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That’s the line his brother recognized and tipped off the FBI
View Quote

Huh, so being a pedant did him in.

That's the version that actually conveys the idea, instead of the confusion the standard version can cause.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah!

The FBI outta be watching THIS thread closely!

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate it when the nutjobs turn out to be right.

Oh, I have no doubt he is a literal genius. I understand he was a brilliant mathematician before he decided he needed to murder people.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]

The original Ted talk.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Fascinating read on Kaczynski’s background and the general zeitgeist of other Ivy League grad students who went too far down some rabbit holes around that time.

Harvard and the Making of the Unabomber
A series of purposely brutalizing psychological experiments may have confirmed Theodore Kaczynski’s still-forming belief in the evil of science while he was in college.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/06/harvard-and-the-making-of-the-unabomber/378239/
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe I misread his intention, you might know better than me, but I thought Kascinskys point was that there was nothing that could be done about it. That the progression of scientific inquiry for profit made advancement inevitable.

I don't think he actually thought it could be stopped because of exactly the reason you said. The world can't unknow anything, and the lure of the next discovery will always have beneficial impact.
View Quote

Once you get up to paragraph 200 or so he starts detailing the world wide dismantling of the technological system. He seemed to recognize that it would take everyone being on board but neglected to acknowledge that revolutions are often fought by a small group with everyone else just going with the flow (this why I labeled his vision of technological revolution naive)
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bought this recently, haven’t got around to reading it, mostly cause I’ve heard it’s depressingly accurate. Im sure I’m on some list now, since I ordered it on Amazon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505655/Technological_Slavery_Kaczynski__Theodor-2108544.JPG
View Quote

When is the audio book going to be released? Who will narrate it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
His message may have been right, but killing and wounding innocents isn’t the way to get your point across.
View Quote

Kind of like a drone strike I heard about last month on some Taliban bombers...in Kabul..... oh wait!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Would buying any of his books get your name on a list?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would buying any of his books get your name on a list?
View Quote

Being a paid member of this site would
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well, you can’t eat your cake and have it too.
View Quote

I see what you did there
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Just wondering, was it the FBI that told us all the things Ted did? They seem super reliable and trustworthy, I'm sure it's true and they wouldn't fabricate or coerce anything.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He didn't just hate liberals...

“The conservatives are fools: They whine about the decay of traditional values, yet they enthusiastically support technological progress and economic growth. Apparently it never occurs to them that you can't make rapid, drastic changes in the technology and the economy of a society without causing rapid changes in all other aspects of the society as well, and that such rapid changes inevitably break down traditional values.”
View Quote

That is also spot on. Most conservatives don't recognize that laissez faire capitalism is detrimental to things like traditionalism, nationalism, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
On a similar note but without discussing Ted, I was listening to a theological lecture after a run last month.

The speaker opined we are both better off and worse from modern science. Tl;Dr follows:

- Science moved slow early because early thinkers contemplated why. Put simply, we can't just find an antibiotic, because we need to know why it works.
- This sucked because we can't always understand everything. So moving to a cause and effect science based approach was key. "This item seems to combat infection." brought us into a great period of huge discovery.
- Now we never consider why and are comfortable hearing drug ads that even mention "This drug does X, but we don't even know how."

Long story short he didn't even have an opinion, he was just making an observation.
View Quote

Basically it's because computers aren't good enough to make a functional model. Quantum computers are pretty good at molecular interactions and work is being done towards solving these problems. Will the effort survive Sam wants to put on a dress and be called Sally with the pronoun xi/xem and you're fired if you don't take some experimental vaccine full of graphene oxide and don't offend the gynocentric social order with any of your science or you're cancelled? Maybe, maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He may have been correct, but he would still be a free man living in his cabin if he hadn’t mailed all those bombs out.
View Quote
Was he a man before his time? Maybe, maybe not..
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The only real fault I could find in Industrial Society and it’s Future was the idea that mankind would ever let go of any of its technological advances and revert to a pre industrial revolution state. The very idea that it was possible seemed naive to me. I always felt that his assessment of our immediate needs being easily met and searching for purpose through surrogate activities hit the nail on the head 100%. Should be required reading. Anyone who dismisses his writings based on his crimes likely hasn’t read any of his stuff.
View Quote

It's a silly idea because we know that there are periodic, life-sterilizing events on the planet - big enough asteroids/comets, local gamma ray bursts, rogue planets, etc... Mankind has to reach a certain high level of technology (and we haven't, yet) to solve these threats, or it is a suicidal path. Dead end. Might as well flavor aide all of us now and get it over with. Totally pointless to continue. Also, the asteroid with our name on it doesn't care about the gender makeup of the team that creates the weapon to deflect it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#28]
There's a lot of horrible people that have some accurate and insightful views, then they go off the rails and it's a shit show.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Nut job.
He hated his closest neighbor who ran a sawmill, because trees were being cut down to make lumber and the sawmill was noisy.
Yet he bought lumber and plywood that came from trees manufactured in a sawmill to build his cabin.
What sense did that make?
His whole deal was to bomb to force the publication of his manifesto to the masses.
This resulted in his capture.
He may have been a genius in mathematics but he was not a genius in any other area of life.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Environmentalist extremists ultimately just hate humanity.

To a degree I can sympathize.

(Not to the being a terrorist bomber degree though, for the record.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Why have our eggs in one basket?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The original Ted talk.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#33]
He's a dipshit luddite.

Sure, he might score high on the Stanford-Binet, but that fucker probably has a hard time tying his shoelaces because he recognizes them as a technological asset.

Dipshit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just wondering, was it the FBI that told us all the things Ted did? They seem super reliable and trustworthy, I'm sure it's true and they wouldn't fabricate or coerce anything.
View Quote

There's that, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#35]
deleted
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nut job.
He hated his closest neighbor who ran a sawmill, because trees were being cut down to make lumber and the sawmill was noisy.
Yet he bought lumber and plywood that came from trees manufactured in a sawmill to build his cabin.
What sense did that make?
His whole deal was to bomb to force the publication of his manifesto to the masses.
This resulted in his capture.
He may have been a genius in mathematics but he was not a genius in any other area of life.
View Quote

Quite guy, kept to himself
But the dogs hated him
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deep insight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

- Now we never consider why and are comfortable hearing drug ads that even mention "This drug does X, but we don't even know how."
View Quote

Choked on my coffee watching that ad a few weeks ago.  Nice list of side effects too!
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I thought Ted took information from the movie Terminator... Just a coincidence I suppose...
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly this.

Just like Timothy McVeigh.  His chosen targets were a crime and a sin.  His motivations and insights, however, frequently make a great deal of sense

The opposite of Blood's assessment of Quilla June "She had marvelous judgement, but did not have particularly good "taste.".
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nut job.
What sense did that make?\
View Quote

The classic Henry David Thoreau Paradox.  Who made the axe he used to chop firewood while living at Walden Pond?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The classic Henry David Thoreau Paradox.  Who made the axe he used to chop firewood while living at Walden Pond?
View Quote

More to the point, who fed him and washed his clothes? Whose yard was he living in? Thoreau was a potemkin primitive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

More to the point, who fed him and washed his clothes? Whose yard was he living in? Thoreau was a potemkin primitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rationalizations are always easy to come by for idealists.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've never read his entire manifesto, just the bullet points that seem to agree with my take on society. I've heard it goes off the rails though.
View Quote

Do you remember the Saudi Arabia purge thread?  I kinda wish it was archived and entered into the Library of Congress.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do you remember the Saudi Arabia purge thread?  I kinda wish it was archived and entered into the Library of Congress.
View Quote

Yeah, that went left quick.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I think a better question is:  what does it say about our society that we were not able to execute this murderer?  I think it says that we are immoral.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#48]
How did Theodore get accepted into a graduate program when he only had a 3.1 gpa for his undergraduate degree?
Most people that go into those graduate mathematics programs have a 4.0 in undergraduate school and consider the bachelor's degree a joke.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just re-read Ted's Manifesto (or at least scanned the first 62 paragraphs...).

Current events vaguely reminded me of the first time I read it decades ago.

The guy correctly analyzed almost all aspects of Liberal's need to destroy the USA and obediently yield every aspect of their lives to  big government or corporations.

Unlike George Orwell who predicted a bit earlier timeline, Ted predicted a longer timeline but was MORE ACCURATE!

Washington Post's publication of Ted Kaczynski's Manifesto.

I also never realized that he's published a number of books while in prison.
View Quote

Funny you bring this up, it was just yesterday I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#50]
If he had friends and was getting laid on a regular basis would he have decided to live in the woods alone and murder people?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top