Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2022 2:51:32 PM EDT
https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/caste-california-tech-giants-confront-ancient-indian-hierarchy-2022-08-15/

Apple, the world's biggest listed company, updated its general employee conduct policy about
two years ago to explicitly prohibit discrimination
on the basis of caste, which it added alongside
existing categories such as race, religion, gender, age and ancestry.

The inclusion of the new category, which hasn't been previously reported, goes beyond U.S. discrimination laws, which do not explicitly ban casteism.

The update came after the tech sector - which counts India as its top source of skilled foreign workers - received a wake-up call in June 2020
when California's employment regulator sued Cisco Systems (CSCO.O) on behalf of a low-caste
engineer who accused two higher-caste bosses of blocking his career.
View Quote

There's more in the article worth a read
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt India is getting rid of the caste system any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've read that the caste system is softening in India in some important ways as the country develops.

However...

Indian migrants for the most part seem to be more dedicated to maintaining the caste system than those who stay home.

The ultimate irony to me is that as the masters of our society shove a neo-feudal future down our throat, a caste system is a very useful tool for keeping people in their place.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
This isn't India so that's a common sense move. If a person wants to move here but isn't willing to leave their baggage behind, then don't even bother, at least that's how it would be in a non clown world ran country which this is anything but today.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The article says it's actually outlawed in India, officially at least

Curious to see this sort of mixed response from them
I.e. some explicitly extending beyond the CRA 1964's protected classes, some very mum or even saying we don't have to do anything, it isn't illegal (which seems like some shaky legal ground)

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've read that the caste system is softening in India in some important ways as the country develops.

However...

Indian migrants for the most part seem to be more dedicated to maintaining the caste system than those who stay home.

The ultimate irony to me is that as the masters of our society shove a neo-feudal future down our throat, a caste system is a very useful tool for keeping people in their place in such a system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However...

The ultimate irony to me is that as the masters of our society shove a neo-feudal future down our throat, a caste system is a very useful tool for keeping people in their place in such a system.

Small sample size but I’ve seen it both ways. One of the smartest, hardest working, and fair colleagues I know is an Indian immigrant that’s reached a director level position.

Of course I’ve met a couple others that check all the stereotype boxes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Very much doubt anything will change soon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It's RAMPANT in the it and related fields.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its technically not legal, but how do you enforce that when the police, judges, teachers, etc. all participate in it?

As the other poster said, it will soften as the generations pass. The caste system is probably why India was always steps behind China historically in economic output and why it was so thoroughly exploited by the British. Great for stability when the average human was a dirt farmer, crap for everything else.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Apple should boycott India in a show of wokeness.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
None of this would be a problem if Silly-Con Valley didn't rely on cheap turd-world workers to fill positions ranging from toilet scrubber all the way up to CEO.
How can anyone effectively scrub a toilet when they never seen, let alone used before?

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
None of this would be a problem if Silly-Con Valley didn't rely on cheap turd-world workers to fill positions ranging from toilet scrubber all the way up to CEO.
How can anyone effectively scrub a toilet when they never seen, let alone used before?

View Quote

There's an episode of the fighter pilot podcast where they interviewed an Indian Air Force Mig-21 pilot. When he mustered out he started several companies including a company that made bathroom fixtures.

When he mentioned that I couldn't help but think, "well, this guy has made his country an objectively less crappy place."
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was in elementary school in the 60s, we read about India and the text said the caste system was going away.

I didn't believe a word of it.  Sadly, since then my cynicism about what people told me was true, has insured I'm usually right.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no doubt that there are people who do discriminate based on caste or many other things. My employer was sued and won this lawsuit.

https://americankahani.com/perspectives/cisco-caste-discrimination-lawsuit-results-in-similar-complaints-from-tech-workers-in-silicon-valley/
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The article says it's actually outlawed in India, officially at least

Curious to see this sort of mixed response from them
I.e. some explicitly extending beyond the CRA 1964's protected classes, some very mum or even saying we don't have to do anything, it isn't illegal (which seems like some shaky legal ground)

View Quote

It’s as strong as ever….the Dalits started to convert to Christianity to get around the Caste system so the Hindu nationalists started killing converts and even the missionaries preaching to them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't they think poors deserve it and should be bullied because that's what they reincarnated as? I remember hearing something like that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

However...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However...

I worked with a guy who was Brahman or whatever. He said it’s not that big of a thing anymore, and kinda going away. Of course it’s hard to speak in generalities when you’re speaking about 1+ billion people, so I’m sure there’s tons of exceptions.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I worked with a guy who was Brahman or whatever. He said it’s not that big of a thing anymore, and kinda going away. Of course it’s hard to speak in generalities when you’re speaking about 1+ billion people, so I’m sure there’s tons of exceptions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However...

I met with several this weekend, one of which is a very wealthy company owner, they would rather forget about the caste system altogether.  They said it's still practiced in the rural and tribal areas, but not in the developed parts of the country.

But ultimately it still exists and it will take time to disappear.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
How many Untouchables are receiving H1B's as tech hires?

I could go into stories about selling used cars to FOB Microsoft H1B's, but it's enough to say that in my opinion, we would be better off as a nation if NO ONE was allowed to emigrate from India to the US.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:17:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How many Untouchables are receiving H1B's as tech hires?

I could go into stories about selling used cars to FOB Microsoft H1B's, but it's enough to say that in my opinion, we would be better off as a nation if NO ONE was allowed to emigrate from India to the US.
View Quote

Well I've been told we don't have the people for it!
We need access to the entire planet to find people qualified for h1b work, and it totally isn't just to depress wages and increase profits for prog companies. Labor certification is a rigorous process
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Caste system isn't the only problem. There's also systemic nepotism and corruption to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#22]
This video is a great primer on how India operates.

Riding a C90 through India -

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Apple should boycott India in a show of wokeness.
View Quote

Apple is as about as exploitative as a company can be. Wokeness is their impervious front.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top