Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2020 2:06:40 PM EDT
So, for the past six weeks I've been doing my job from home. Legit working from home -- eight hours a day -- busting my ass (well, as much as I would in the office). I'm using my home computer. My home den. Home electricity. Home internet.

So, when I do my taxes for 2020, can I write off 6-8 weeks (or however long) of expenses because I was working from home? Of course, I guess that only applies if I itemize (which I usually don't).

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no home office deduction for W2 employees per TCJA.
View Quote

Well, this year, there should be . . . maybe a one-time credit for work from home types . . . not sure how you'd prove it, though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Have always been told that “Home Office” deductions are one of the biggest audit triggers and that the amount you save is not worth the risk.

Unless you can legitimately prove that the space was used for work and nothing else, I wouldn’t risk. Just my opinion and I’m not a tax professional
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correctamundo.

Pre-TCJA, it was deductible on Schedule A as an unreimbursed employee expense subject to the 2% AGI floor.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been WFH for a decade, and with the 2% AGI floor, plus the scrutiny, it wasn't worth it even before the TCJA made it a moot point.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, this year, there should be . . . maybe a one-time credit for work from home types . . . not sure how you'd prove it, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you're that hard up to save 75 bucks in taxes I'll send you 75 bucks to help out.  Pm me your address.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Even if it was deductible, you have to have some serious other things going on to outdo the standard deduction. You don’t do your own taxes I take it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top