Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2021 3:42:49 PM EDT
I highly doubt this will be a popular thread but does anyone else here keep Tarantulas? Figured I’d make a separate thread rather than polluting the snake thread with spiders

Anyway. Please share what you have. I will probably waste some site resources and upload a bunch of pics. I currently have 10 Ts.

A few pics just to start.
Metallic Pink Toe
Attachment Attached File

Stripe Knee
Attachment Attached File

Red Knee
Attachment Attached File

Green Bottle Blue
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Kept one for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I find them in the yard and leave them alone.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Not crazy about spiders, and I would not consider them as "pets" under any circumstances I can possibly think of.

Salticids get a free pass though, and I will bring them into my house if I find one outside.

I detest flies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I can handle big snakes and venomous snakes.  Spiders give me the collywobbles, though I admit some T's are quite pretty but not a pet for me.

That said, if I find one in the house I take it outside and let it go, because I respect what spiders do in nature.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Currently all my spider houses are kinda cramped and stacked all together. Over the next couple of weeks we are going to upgrade and move them all into the same kind of enclosures so everything is uniform and matching. We will have the shorter ones for terrestrial Ts and the taller ones for tree dwelling Ts. I am also going to go buy a good shelf to line them all up on. During this process I will have to rehouse them one by one. I’ll take some good pics and video.
There is one that I’m slightly concerned about moving and that is my Featherleg Baboon Tarantula. Very fast, very defensive and one of the most venomous Ts. I do not even have pics of her because of how elusive she is. Hides 99% of the time.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Currently all my spider houses are kinda cramped and stacked all together. Over the next couple of weeks we are going to upgrade and move them all into the same kind of enclosures so everything is uniform and matching. We will have the shorter ones for terrestrial Ts and the taller ones for tree dwelling Ts. I am also going to go buy a good shelf to line them all up on. During this process I will have to rehouse them one by one. I’ll take some good pics and video.
There is one that I’m slightly concerned about moving and that is my Featherleg Baboon Tarantula. Very fast, very defensive and one of the most venomous Ts. I do not even have pics of her because of how elusive she is. Hides 99% of the time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/AC1FE100-86CF-47F6-8E43-6CFE919316A3_jpe-1972173.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/045E7DEA-0B2C-47A1-BF1D-E0B3889095A6_jpe-1972178.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/1045C787-1CB4-4AA4-975A-A6B46FFA508D_jpe-1972179.JPG
View Quote

She may have already moved out of the box & is under your bed right now.

As I was taught, don't worry, there is no known tarantula species that is fatally venomous to humans.  It will just hurt like hell.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

She may have already moved out of the box & is under your bed right now.

As I was taught, don't worry, there is no known tarantula species that is fatally venomous to humans.  It will just hurt like hell.
View Quote

That is true! None are fatal...that one is just considered to have "medically significant venom".

Here is a pic I took this morning of a different T. This is my largest one at the moment.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Also here is a cool video. I hope YT didn’t destroy the video quality. It’s of one of them preening/cleaning itself. You can see how it even uses its fangs. Creepy and cool lol.
Tarantula preening/cleaning itself
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Good pic of the Green Bottle Blue.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The only decent pic I could get of the Togo Starburst Baboon. This is one of the scary ones lol. An “Old World” tarantula that is lightning fast and has potent venom. I’ve never seen it out during the day. Only at night.
Crappy night pic
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I also just adopted a very friendly 8 year old Rose Hair Tarantula. I’ll get some pics of her out chillin later.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]
The Featherleg Baboon.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice!

I had a p metallica, and p regalis for a few years, started from slings.

When I knew my son was coming(birth) I decided the risk of an escape with a baby was not worth it.  
As far as I know there are no reports of a pokie biting children, or any of the medically significant OW species for that matter.

I miss them, but what I don’t miss is feeders.  Keeping feeders is what is stopping me.  Maybe when my two kids are older they’ll want to get into them.  

Right now we’re just getting ready for a ball python to start with!

I will look on this thread with envy though.

A GBB and a p irminia really get me!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome! Stop in here anytime. I plan to keep posting in here despite the lack of popularity lol.

Feeding all these guys isn’t to bad. We have 2 different locations within 5 minutes to get meal worms and crickets. I also have the start of a Dubia colony. Once that takes off hopefully I can be self sufficient on food for the spiders. So that will be cool.
I think I might have a few newer pics to share.
New shelf just for the Ts.
Attachment Attached File

Here is our current little Curly Hair. Started out as a little sling. It’s probably about the size of a quarter right now, maybe a bit bigger.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#15]
@BigEasySnow

When I was at my previous job the guy in the cube next to mine had a huge collection of spiders.  He kept a mexican red knee on his desk and I used to catch things to feed her.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the @, Sister

I just got back from a reptile show, 1st one since COVID. I bought a total of 12, but 3 were for a friend. I only have 15 total right now, I’m building back up.

I don’t know why I like them or why feeding them and fixing up their habs makes me relaxed and happy. Scorpions don’t do it, snakes don’t do it but Ts just affect me.

I prefer old world nasties. An OBT was one of my first Ts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow awesome! Glad to see another T keeper around here lol. Please feel free to share more pics of them! My GF and I love setting up their enclosures and then watching them redecorate and tunnel/web up. Like fish but more interesting to watch LOL. We discovered recently that my Avic Avic pink toe carried a pebble up into her web…no idea why but that must have been quite a task for it.
What do you feed them you’re Ts?
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow awesome! Glad to see another T keeper around here lol. Please feel free to share more pics of them! My GF and I love setting up their enclosures and then watching them redecorate and tunnel/web up. Like fish but more interesting to watch LOL. We discovered recently that my Avic Avic pink toe carried a pebble up into her web…no idea why but that must have been quite a task for it.
What do you feed them you’re Ts?
View Quote

Dubias. I’m working up to starting a superworm colony too. And I have some tiny babies right now so I’m feeding flightless fruit flies too.

I hope to breed soon. It’s so nice the reptile expos are back.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Really cool. My wife would murder me though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Really cool. My wife would murder me though.
View Quote

Dude. Get them back out of her purse.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is my 8 year old Rose Hair. Spinderella.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Spinderella standing tall, holding a cricket off the ground so it cannot escape while killing it. Really cool picture I think.
Attachment Attached File

Also saw this guy in the wild last week. Pretty cool.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Always wondered, can most huge captive tarantulas be handled easily right away, or is there some sort of process to get them used to it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Always wondered, can most huge captive tarantulas be handled easily right away, or is there some sort of process to get them used to it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

IMO there’s no reason to handle a T. They don’t like it, they can either bite or flick hairs or both, and will split open if dropped.

I don’t handle any of mine except with catch cups for moving them to new habitats. Most of mine are the types you really wouldn’t like to be bitten by, and even my “nice” ones kick hairs.

I’ve also had many “handleable” Ts have personality changes and start going after feeding tongs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah I don’t really handle any of mine either…except Spinderella and that’s pretty rare and only for a few minutes. She is very very docile. She was raised in a family with 2 little girls and a boy that loved her dearly and handled her often. The kids grew up and went off to college and I adopted her.

I also have a small dime sized Curley Hair sling/baby. He/she is pretty chill and we let her walk around our hands a little bit, also rare though.
Handling them is more risk than it’s worth. A short fall could be fatal and they are fragile. As mentioned most of them don’t want to be held anyway.

I’m not an expert on Ts…but there are 2 types of them. Old World(African/Asian) and New World(North/South American). They say New World tarantulas are more docile, less venomous, slower. Old World Ts are the devil…They are fast AF, venomous/painful bites/not to be fucked with.

You will never ever see anyone handle an old world lol.
Spinderella is a Rose Hair. Very common new world T in the pet trade.
Any time I have handled them I always try to be very calm and make slow movements. No commotion or other sounds/music/phones around to spook em.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m going to be moving my two Old World Ts into new housing sometime in the next 24-48 hours. I will finally hopefully be able to get a good pic/look at the Featherleg Baboon lol.

@BigeasySnow

What kind of enclosures do you keep medium/large size Ts in? In you’re pics it looks like glass enclosure of some kind. Just curious. I just picked up 2 Large size “Zilla Micro” habitats. They are plastic. Reviews seem ok. Going to try them out. I’ll post up a pic of them shortly. I’m going to let these sit overnight and dry out a bit before I move the spiders in.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Your enclosures all look really pretty and well decorated.

Mine have gotten more and more basic, I’ve been lazy.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh wow! I like how you used those. Really good idea. I can guarantee my GF will steal that idea lol.
I kinda prefer enclosures less cluttered. Makes cleaning and maintenance easier.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks for the @, Sister

I just got back from a reptile show, 1st one since COVID. I bought a total of 12, but 3 were for a friend. I only have 15 total right now, I’m building back up.

I don’t know why I like them or why feeding them and fixing up their habs makes me relaxed and happy. Scorpions don’t do it, snakes don’t do it but Ts just affect me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164269/C3F5656B-0A5E-4F8A-BA11-6352A5988D3B_jpe-1998793.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164269/727B8D7C-341E-43E4-96D4-BD1628615AFC_jpe-1998795.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164269/02F8BC7D-380B-4322-BEB7-0199250ED728_jpe-1998798.JPG
View Quote

I like the blue-looking one on bottom, but you know I’m a “bug”
person.  I came home from the park the other day with a caterpillar who has already set up and is trying to cocoon.  It likely will overwinter indoors and I’ll release him when he is a big black butterfly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Feel free to share pics of any bugs here if you want. This isnt limited to only 8 leggeds lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Added this tiny girl to my family this weekend. Tiny for now lol. My GF named her Phoenix LOL.
Attachment Attached File

She went right to work digging after transferring her into her sling house. She dug quite a hole really quick.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Currently just the one. Want to get another, we'll see.

made the enclosure myself, was actually pretty simple.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#34]
A Gooty Sapphire! Very nice.

Very nice enclosure build also.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A Gooty Sapphire! Very nice.

Very nice enclosure build also.
View Quote

Thanks. Was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have a local shop that will custom cut plexi so for all the parts I spent about $100 for 2 cages (planning ahead lol). 2 of these from harbor fraught and a bit of patience.
Was very cool seeing the bonding agent seep into the crevasses and work it's magic.  Much cheaper than having one built of that size (10x10x14)
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had a few but I don't have any at the moment. I've been lusting after the green bottle blue for a while.

I had a Chaco yellow knee, Venezuelan suntiger, and a Chile Dwarf Flame.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I watch a YouTube channel called Exotics Lair about Ts. That guy also builds his own. Very similar. Kinda makes me want to try it. Although at this point I’m fucking stacked deep in enclosures lol. I don’t need anymore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Tranny was cool, had her for years

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey very cool. Rose Hair?
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hey very cool. Rose Hair?
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Sooo here is one that is NOT my pet. Missouri native Brown Recluse.
I love Tarantulas and Jumping spiders. Wolf spiders are cool. Not these though. Fuck these LOL.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#42]
My Brazilian Black that didn’t eat for 10 months! Finally molted into her mature black look. She was kind of an ugly brown color before lol. She is now a velvety jet black color and is crushing crickets. This is a dream tarantula for many people to own and I totally see why. Mine is absolutely beautiful. Stealth tarantula lol
Attachment Attached File

You can see her old juvenile brown phase molt in the back of her hide.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

person.  I came home from the park the other day with a caterpillar who has already set up and is trying to cocoon.  It likely will overwinter indoors and I’ll release him when he is a big black butterfly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the @, Sister

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164269/C3F5656B-0A5E-4F8A-BA11-6352A5988D3B_jpe-1998793.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164269/727B8D7C-341E-43E4-96D4-BD1628615AFC_jpe-1998795.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164269/02F8BC7D-380B-4322-BEB7-0199250ED728_jpe-1998798.JPG

OMG.  I have one going through metamorphosis right now.  Same thing—black swallowtail.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Never had a spider as a pet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

OMG.  I have one going through metamorphosis right now.  Same thing—black swallowtail.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281579/8DE9C27B-E1AA-4C35-8016-F4ACE8A8F849-2306380.jpg
View Quote

Very cool.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Very cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG.  I have one going through metamorphosis right now.  Same thing—black swallowtail.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/281579/8DE9C27B-E1AA-4C35-8016-F4ACE8A8F849-2306380.jpg

Very cool.

And just like that, he happened to hatch today and I noticed it.

ETA—this is a male I believe.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow its beautiful!
So will it live ok in that enclosure until it’s ready to be released? What will you feed it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow its beautiful!
So will it live ok in that enclosure until it’s ready to be released? What will you feed it?
View Quote

Once hatched they’re ready to go.  All you have to do is release him.  They don’t live that long—about a month at the most.  Long enough to breed, and repeat the lifecycle.

The only feeding is at the larvae stage which is how I found him in September.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sooo here is one that is NOT my pet. Missouri native Brown Recluse.
I love Tarantulas and Jumping spiders. Wolf spiders are cool. Not these though. Fuck these LOL.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/19A440E2-BCFC-45D9-8F44-9C0E7F2F3AB7_jpe-2104429.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/8DB1861C-0D44-49F7-A462-D737D34B2311_jpe-2104430.JPG
View Quote

I had an exterminator tell me I didn’t really kill a recluse.
So I started saving evidence.  Big widows in that jar.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#50]
oh hell naw. I love my Ts but I have no love for recluses or widows of any kind lol. They get smashed if found inside.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top