Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2020 8:59:15 PM EDT
Title says it all. My kettlebells live outside and the paint it flaking off. I want to tape them up but after looking on Amazon I can't find the old Johnson & Johnson waterproof cloth tape, the shit that stuck to anything and everything...now they just have cheap Chinese shit that the reviews say peels off after it gets sweaty. Any ideas???
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I use hockey tape. I wrap the handle with one layer then twist
about 10 inches of the tape to make a rope and wrap that
back around the handle then one more layer of tape to hold
the rope in place. The rope part gives it a nice grip texture.
This will not come off even through hard use.

Proguard hockey tape
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank You
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Would scraping off the loose paint and just chalking them up work?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
We spray painted ours with engine paint from autozone.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would scraping off the loose paint and just chalking them up work?
View Quote

This would be my advice, as well.  Personally, I want the handle to be able to rotate smoothly in my hand, and tape would interfere with that and possibly lead to blisters and/or additional callouses. Clean up the rust and flaking paint and hit it with a bit of Rustoleum paint/primer.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
For fuck's sake brother, taping kettlebell handles is sacrilege. You're not going to be happy with that, the humidity will destroy any tape in short order. It will also become a nasty, sticky mess after only a little use.

Use a steel grill brush to knock off loose paint and rust and either leave it be or give it a coat of grill paint. I leave mine outside with lots of missing paint, takes 5 seconds with a steel brush to knock off any rust on the handle and it leaves a good texture.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I use baseball bat tape on my weight bars, haven't tried it on a kettle bell but I like it, its just enough that my hands don't end up torn up at much as the raw bar. I live in the desert and its lasted me all through our nasty super hot summer without getting sticky
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]
You could blue them and just keep them oiled.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Harbor freight 4.5” angle grinder and a wire cup will rip off all loose paint.
Aircraft paint stripper would also be another option for removing loose paint.

I usually grind/sand my cast plates, cast dumbbells, and kettlebells so they are smoothed over any rough surfaces.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I use (camo) Equine wrap from TSC, more for padding (got the 'ritis) for my knuckles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
eww
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top