Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 10/15/2021 8:34:29 PM EDT
I think I did a thread like this before. I'm not sure. Either way I think we're going to go on and buy one soon, before winter gets here and everything skyrockets (more) in price. Even if we don't install it right now, we'll have it when we're ready to install it.

Let's say we'll be heating 1500-2000 feet with it. We have electric heat now. We're content with it, we just want to have options in case of power outages.

The layout of the house will mean that the stove sort of goes in a corner, sort of distant from the bedrooms. What's the easiest way to circulate air? Leave all the doors open in the evening before bedtime?

More importantly - what brand should I buy? And what should I install it on - a concrete floor, a raised concrete pad, a sheet of steel, or what?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Get it while you can. There's an EPA-certified design that'll be the "approved" wood burning stove... and it's already proven to be dirtier than anything already on the market.

AAAAnd... OST.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Should have ordered one a month or two ago. 2020 EPA standards put a hurt on many brands and models enough that the market has still not recovered.  Add in all the people working from home/upgrading their stoves and you may have to wait or settle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should have ordered one a month or two ago. 2020 EPA standards put a hurt on many brands and models enough that the market has still not recovered.  Add in all the people working from home/upgrading their stoves and you may have to wait or settle.
View Quote

We're going to start shopping now so we can have it before we need it (let's say 2-3 months from now).
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
So, all I am gathering from this thread is that I have a "pre-ban" wood heater in my shop.

Cool, I guess
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
So, all I am gathering from this thread is that I have a "pre-ban" wood heater in my shop.

Cool, I guess
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
BIG WOOD STOVES BURN BIG WOOD
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
A coal stove is what you seek… one that burns a certain type of coal..
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Egg coal!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a new buck stove wood coal hybrid. I’ve accidentally got my 1700sf up to 98 degrees
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A coal stove is what you seek one that burns a certain type of coal..
View Quote
is it a parlour stove, sir?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
They're stooooves.  They're stooooves.  

You fill em up with wood!

They're stooooves.  They're stooooves.  

They're big, they're black, they're good!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I had good luck blowing the colder air TOWARDS my stove in my last house.  

Woodstock Palladian soapstone stove.  

That's the only thing I miss about that house, I absolutely loved that stove.  On a cold winter day, my old cat would lay on the wool rug in front of that stove and practically go into a coma for hours
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
is it a parlour stove, sir?
View Quote

Of course, if I wasn’t so tired I’d take a picture of it
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a blaze king princess model and I love it. It’s way more than enough to heat my house.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol, I literally started a thread about how much wood stove do I need last night.

OP, I'm new to wood stoves (at least since adulthood) and I have an Ashley 3200 that I just installed in my 3100sq ft house. A series of fans blows the heat into the back bedrooms and up the stairs. One more fan in the open loft upstairs blows air back into the vaulted living room.

In addition, I have a Kuma Tamarack 1800sq ft stove in a converted garage on the other side of the house from the big stove.

I haven't dealt with extended cold yet but we had a night at 18 recently and the main house was 73 upstairs and 69 downstairs.

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Of course, if I wasn't so tired I'd take a picture of it
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Woodstock.

We don't force circulation and it's comfortable throughout
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey finally a topic I know something about! I grew up outside of Pittsburgh (in 84 as in 84 Lumber- we have more cows than people out there) and we burned coal and wood and still do. I took a job for the .gov out here in MD and for the house bought a new wood stove last year…

What others have said is right, the EPA is wrecking havoc on any kind of burning…. And the guys at the stove store said like 50% of the market became illegal last year cuz of the epa. So coal burning is out of the window basically.

Anyway, we got a Quadra-Fire installed in sept 2020. I add the date because based on googling it right now may be outlawed too!!!

Anyway, this is our first home with oil heat, and with the stove we went through only 1/4 tank of oil, mostly due to being away taking care of my parents back in Pittsburgh.  This stove was the last non-catalytic stove that fulfilled the epa regs at the time. We went through about 3.5-4 cords of wood keeping a 3k sq ft house more than toast my all winter.

I still have an itemized bill I can send if interested for the total stove plus install cost.  It was easy enough for the installers to cut a hole up through the roof and put in the chimney pipe that has layers such that it’s only warm to the touch at full blast (I forget the name).

As an aside, I’d explore those multi-fuel stoves the Amish use if that’s a possibility in anyway

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Also must be UL approved before your insurance company will insure it. Very important for your fire insurance.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]
We have the Quadra Fire Discovery II… definitely get whatever fan/blower package anyone offers. That’s key.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
You can always just run your hvac with the fan on to spread the heat. That will require minimal electricity and keep the entire house equal in heat distribution.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Fun fact: we use my tank track link collection to hold the wood inside. That’s a tiger I on the right, T-34 on the left, and the top and bottom are Panzer iii//iv/stug links.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can always just run your hvac with the fan on to spread the heat. That will require minimal electricity and keep the entire house equal in heat distribution.
View Quote
I do this, works well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#24]
When I do my addition I'm going to get an Ecco stove.

It's a hybrid stove/masonry heater, looks pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fun fact: we use my tank track link collection to hold the wood inside. That's a tiger I on the right, T-34 on the left, and the top and bottom are Panzer iii//iv/stug links.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/9E7FC445-D271-4102-870B-13F853E26532_jpe-2131687.JPG
View Quote
Fury Movie CLIP - Best Job I Ever Had (2014) - Logan Lerman, Shia LaBeouf Movie HD

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#26]

:-) my friends love this movie because of my reaction to the tiger!! Are you kidding me??? They survive a direct hit?? And both tanks charge??? Ok-I’m calming down now. Happy place, happy place… lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anthracite
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Anthracite
View Quote
what size is the anthracite, sir?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Anthracite
View Quote

That’s goood shiite! Sooo much cleaner too.

There was a guy that used to burn coke in in stove and totally warped the gratings in one year!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#30]
new construction around here (Alaska) sees a lot of Blaze King wood stoves going in.  Builders and buyers seem to like them.  The Princess 32 is the most often quoted, probably for compromise on size and price (vs the King 40, for example)
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fun fact: we use my tank track link collection to hold the wood inside. That's a tiger I on the right, T-34 on the left, and the top and bottom are Panzer iii//iv/stug links.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539199/9E7FC445-D271-4102-870B-13F853E26532_jpe-2131687.JPG
View Quote
It moved.

That is a really cool living room conversation piece.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It moved.

View Quote

Danke! One thing cool to learn is heavy tank links like the tigers are usually more worn on one side (I think the inside? How embarrassing I forget!) because of the weight. My eyes are peaked for a tiger iii link, they pop up amazingly frequently enough. I’ve found it ironically harder to find Sherman links… I guess they don’t litter the battlefields, acessible to the west, and in such numbers as German and Russian

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh I got them mixed up, those earlier pics were the panther and this is the tiger, on top the stove. I set green wood there last year. We’d just moved in and didn’t have a properly seasoned wood pile.

Please forgive me for the mixup! The tiger has offset guides.

Where’s that meme “stupid stupid stupid”

Facebook marketplace (unfortunately) is THEE way to get free wood btw. It’s cheaper to give wood away when folks pay to have trees fell than have those guys dispose of it… a win for all

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It moved.

View Quote
best job i ever had.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#35]
How much square feet do you need to heat op?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#36]

~1800ish. Maybe 1/4 of it has vaulted ceilings if that matters.

We have plenty of wood, too. Lots of ash that died a year or so ago. An oak that split 2 years ago. I could probably scrounge a couple cords of solid firewood without cutting a tree.

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Enjoying my stove right now.  Dog is near it and if the cat stayed in, so would the cat.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a new buck stove wood coal hybrid. I've accidentally got my 1700sf up to 98 degrees
View Quote
That shit can happen  quick!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Pacific energy alderlea t6 master race checking in...

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been thinking about picking one up, too.  Many used ones around here for $150 or so.  But like you, not really sure what I need.

I had read something like it needs to be 36" away from all combustibles.  Hence brick being placed all around 'em.  I have also considered just buying one and storing it covered just in case it's needed someday.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

~1800ish. Maybe 1/4 of it has vaulted ceilings if that matters.

We have plenty of wood, too. Lots of ash that died a year or so ago. An oak that split 2 years ago. I could probably scrounge a couple cords of solid firewood without cutting a tree.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That’s perfect for wood stove territory, you will do great with almost any stove. If anything you’ll probably be walking around in whitey tighteys:-).

Here’s the offsets they did in Maryland. Actually you can see the stove is less than the 10” cuz of the stuff in the back and these triple wall chimney pipes are so amazing I can put my hand hand on it upstairs. That’s just drywall behind our stove.

I guess my only humble advice is try to avoid catalytic converters… just more expensive stuff to maintain. My stove has some expensive ceramic tile and blanket at the top that is fragile and like 100 bucks to replace (I promptly cracked it when pulling them out to sweep this spring :-))
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

This is two super fragiley ceramic plate type things on top and a similarly fragile blanket. I got replacements off eBay (just to give an accurate name and price to things):

Attachment Attached File

One can go without these in modern stoves but the efficiency goes down. This company claims to have a four point burn system (which others surely have too) to burn super efficient and play the emissions game with the epa. I’ll say it does perform better than the wood/coal insert we have at my parents house. An old Brunco.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:55:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anthracite

My dear sir, the finest nut coal shall work.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's awesome.

Where the hell do you find them?

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#45]
It’s me cool thing about modern stoves seems to be there’s ALWAYS enough coals in the morning to get it going again. In fact I have an unresolved problem with too much coal build up… that’s all airflow nuances with the vents. I took the side panel off to have independent control over them (normally they couple two) and that has helped some. But that’s just a thing you’ll figure out with your stove.

Can’t recommend wood stoves enough! When I’m older maybe I’ll go pellet. I’m 36 now and have the energy to make the wood. Hey you never get tired of watching the “cowboy fire”!

Edit “cowboy tv”!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's me cool thing about modern stoves seems to be there's ALWAYS enough coals in the morning to get it going again. In fact I have an unresolved problem with too much coal build up that's all airflow nuances with the vents. I took the side panel off to have independent control over them (normally they couple two) and that has helped some. But that's just a thing you'll figure out with your stove.

Can't recommend wood stoves enough! When I'm older maybe I'll go pellet. I'm 36 now and have the energy to make the wood. Hey you never get tired of watching the "cowboy fire"!
View Quote
I have the same problem.

I wake up every day with a full box of coals.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's awesome.

Where the hell do you find them?

View Quote

All out of Eastern Europe. There’s several folks selling them in eBay and it was nerve racking buying the first one from the site I chose to gamble on. I mean it is Eastern Europe after all! But after buying several things and striking up a friendship with the guy and everything I wish those guys all the best.  The site is https://relicsww2.com and the fellow’s name is Jevgenijs. Truly, send him an email and that a friend Brian recommended you and he’ll take care of you. I’m on the waitlist for a the next King Tiger link so don’t yinz scoop me! Ha no worries, first come first serve
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have the same problem.

I wake up every day with a full box of coals.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265591/a2dfb0bafd634acb99da06f5ec53a5f9_jpeg-2131868.JPG
View Quote

Dude I know right! It must be a byproduct of the insane efficiencies they’re pushing on the manufactures. Sometimes I put them in a steel bucket and set them in the garage for quick heat there.  Which is insanely dangerous. Hey never said I was safe :-). We also have no kids!

In the morning I’ll open the door to burn them out and get some heat out of them. Guess it’s a catch 22 with this kind of performance…
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#49]
What kind of stove do you have?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Buy a Blaze King of whatever size is recommended for your SQ ft and climate.   Do not even consider any other stove.   I have had a variety over the years, and after my first Blaze King, I will never own anything else.

Several reasons for that.

1) automatic damper.    It will automatically open and close as the stover runs hotter and cooler, leaving you with a consistent temperature for the entire burn.

2) Burn time.   Even the smaller ones will hold a fire pushing 12 hours.  My King model would hold a fire for 24 hours.  Yes, 24.

3) Efficiency.   In my last house I heated 3k SQ ft for about 5 and a bit cords a winter.   I kept the downstairs about 85 degrees and the upstairs about 75.    And I live about and hour or so south of the Canadian border, so my burn season is 7 months or so a year, and I see Sub-Zero temps for part of that.

Don't let anyone scare you about a Blaze King being a catalyst stove.  Basically all that means is every 6 to 9 years, you replace a $300 part.    But in the meantime, you get an insanely more efficient stove.  

The way a catalytic stove works, is once you get the cat up to temperature, you throw a damper inside the stove that forces the smoke to flow through the cat (which looks a bit like a honeycomb).   The catalyst reacts to the creosote in a way that basically starts a controlled creosote fire inside the cat.   Creosote fire is way hotter than a wood fire.   So from there, when you choke the fire down to nearly zero air, and it would normally produce crazy amounts of smoke, the cat causes that smoke to burn, so you are really just burning smoke at that point. The wood is just smouldering for the purpose of feeding creosote to the cat, which will be cranking out crazy amounts of heat compared to wood.   So what is normally 6 or 7 hours worth of wood burn in a normal stove, that same amount of wood runs 12+ hours in the cat stove.   So you cut a lot less wood and get a lot more heat for your less effort.

And that automatic damper I mentioned earlier, means you can set the heat output and forget it.   It's not exactly as good as having a thermostat on your wood stove, but it's pretty close.

Seriously, go buy a Blaze King and don't look back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top