Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2020 8:12:39 PM EDT
I know nothing about tractors but have pretty good sized Kubata dealership in my area. I've got 50 acres and always running into situations where "man I wish I had a tractor" comes up.  This would be a purchase I would keep for at least 20 years.

From looking at their website the Tractor Loader Backhoe models seem appealing. The backhoe would be nice for digging gravel out of the pits. Not sure if I would be better off going with the M62 model over the L47. The M62 has about 4 foot more digging depth, which I do find appealing.

Main uses for tractor would be:

Digging gravel
Loading and spreading dirt and gravel
Grading my road
Mowing brush
Maybe snow plowing but my truck has a plow already

Not sure if the tractor/loader/backhoe model and be fitted with a mower.   When I go to the "build my kubtoa" function on there website, there are so many options that I have no idea what they are or function they provide. However I am someone who would appreciate quick and easy attachment mechanisms when switching between buckets/forks/etc.

What are the must haves? I definitely don't want to be 2 years down the line and be wishing I got something else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Four wheel drive is a must.  

The backhoe attachment can live in your shed when not in use.

Mower deck and bucket can be on at the same time.  

Buy ballast.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Fluid fill the rear tires. Tractors need traction to do their best work and traction comes from weight.  Also using a loader you need weight to help balance that bucket full of gravel.  4WD is very useful (by that I mean mandatory) Make certain you have the 3rd function hydraulics with control for the grapple you’ll get. .  Down the road you WILL want a grapple and you need the 3rd function to control the open/close of the grapple.  Standard loader controls are just up/down and roll up/down for the bucket.    

Ag tires give traction better than the r4’s or hybrids but are shorter lived.  Decent sized tractor tires are EXPENSIVE.

Personal opinion is that hydrostatic drive is the bomb for loader work.  Far faster and easier than stirring gears. Back and forth over and over gets old with gears and clutch.  Routine maintenance Is diy but a pain.  

Cabs are very nice but come with their own maintenance costs. A/C and heat among others.  They do protect from getting slapped in the face by limbs though.  

If you use the ROPS wear the seatbelt.  

Tractorbynet is kinda the Arfcom of tractors.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Shop for gently used tractors. A lot of people buy one for starting a business, then find out the business isn’t profitable. Or they buy an oversized or undersized tractor for the intended use. They go up for sale on tractor forums, Craigslist, local newspaper ads. Like cars, the biggest drop in value is when they are first taken from dealership, but keeps value years longer.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure you will use a little hoe for much real work.

Box blade with hydro claws requires rear hydraulic connections.

Pallet forks and make sure you have QD on the loader.

Also need the rear hydro for a live top link. Doesn’t work well with box blade so might as well have the retractable blades.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Also keep in mind Kubota has a long record of unique filters they have an exclusive contract on from the makers. You may not be able to circumvent that locally as the filter isn't made by anyone else. Kinda like Deere or some of those zero turn mowers. It's a very limited and unique supply chain moving to ag equipment and no, the local auto parts guys do NOT have access to a lot of it. Ask me how I know after twelve years.

Until next Thursday. After that, I'm retired and not my problem any more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#6]
3 years ago I bought my first tractor [a Kubota].  Last month my second tractor [a LS].  

You might also consider investing time researching in another forum here:  Homestead, Farm & Garden

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Homestead-Farm-andamp-Garden/19/

There are dozens of threads on tractors, attachments, implements and uses.

A couple of commonly accepted principles:

always 4wd
always bigger than you think
good dealer support is a must

Best wishes in your search  

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Op you mention digging gravel out of pits.  If this is the primary use then likely the extra
4’ of digging depth kinda trumps everything else.  However the M series looks like gear transmissions only. For the rest of your jobs the hydro trans is a huge advantage.  I’ve used both and I got damn tired of stiring the gears and clutch.  

Can you elaborate on what the property is like? Woods? Open fields? Hilly? You mention that lots of the options are confusing you...if you’d care to ask here I bet we can explain them and our opinions of their relative value.  

I will warn you once you start running your tractor the neat accessories add up quick.  Their ability to speed up your work is shocking if your used to using muscle instead.  An example; I recently got a grapple. I’ve found I can cut down a 8” tree and pick the WHOLE thing up and move to my burn pile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like you have your heart set on a Kubota. Have you looked at the New Hollands??

Bought a TC40D Supersteer New Holland in 2003. Best money I've ever spent. I did look at Kubota's but the NH's had them beat hands down.

Make sure which ever tractor you buy the fuel tank isn't under the tractor. Also make sure the Hydro lines are run inside the frame. Both need protection from damage unless you are planning to just use the tractor in your yard.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind on the TLB models you cannot use 3 point equipment. The backhoe isn't easily removable.  For what you're describing I would get the regular tractor version and add a backhoe attachment if you need/want an all in one machine.  The tractor backhoes aren't as tough as the TLB models.

For what you're looking to do a tractor could do it all....it just won't be fast at doing it. A skid steer will run circles around a tractor doing digging/scooping and pallet work. Even the backhoe attachments for them are better than the tractor versions.

ETA: when in doubt go bigger if you can get away with it. If your primary is mowing you'll want the biggest decked mower you can get. Size the engine appropriately.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard several people say that tractor 3-pt back-hoes are a 'compromise'.  

If only needed occasionally, might be smarter to just rent a full back-hoe for a short period.  

ymmv
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I live on 50 acres. About 10 acres open, the rest wooded. I bought a 2009 Kubota L3400HST 4WD with a loader (quick attach bucket) and R4 tires(filled) new in January of 2010. I had considered a backhoe but the dealer talked me out of it. Cost was about $7500 and required a subframe and taking off the 3 point hitch arms to hook up. Dealer pointed out that I could rent a small track hoe for $ 250 per day so I could rent a lot of times for the cost of a backhoe.

I use the tractor for bush hogging, maintaining trails in the woods, moving dirt, wood and logs, box blade work, plowing and planting a garden and the list goes on. Hydrostatic is great. If I did a lot of heavy pulling and a lot of plowing, I would go with gear drive but hydrostatic is fantastic.

I got mine for around $22K out the door. The next size up (L4400) was a good bit bigger and a lot more $$. Sometimes a bigger tractor would be nice but for the most part this one is a really good size for general work and maintain trails in the woods. I have never run out of power, just traction.

Best thing I have bought is pallet forks. Great for picking up about anything, put a pallet on the forks and you have a man lift. Ok, I only trust my son enough to pick me up but makes it easy to change outdoor lights, trim trees and so on. You will also be surprised how good you can get picking up things with the forks like little branches or a bucket of water. I use mine to lift my riding mowers to change the blades.

Don't know how I managed without a loader for 20 years. Really handy in deer season. No dragging one here.

Kubota was the best bang for the buck when I got mine and has all steel fenders and hood. Filters are not too expensive and you don't have to replace them very often anyway.

Mine is at 430 trouble free hours. Only routine maintenance.

I would not hesitate to buy another one. Heck, mine still has the original battery.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you ever ran a backhoe or FEL style tractor set up?

I might suggest finding some other homesteaders in the area or go talk to the guys drinking coffee at the coop. Maybe rent the models you are looking at first...
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Get off of AR15 and go talk to a dealer (no offence) but dealer are not going to make any money buy steering you wrong.  Do not do a backhoe config on a agg tractor for any amount of work, again go consult a dealer.

ETA: Those kubota's are very good, I run and 225DT and I work for a place that rhymes with "CAT"...
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Small update... my local dealer has the only TLB in the state, an L47 model. I went and looked at it. Three years old (still new) with 5.5 hours. MSRP 63k. Sales guy told me how they are begging to move the thing off the lot, no one wants it, etc etc etc.  Told them I was interested and to give me a quote. $59k for a 3 year old machine.

I'm now looking at skid steers
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok I'll look into a bit this weekend but for now holy...  Craigslist might be your better bet...

Can you give specs on what exactly you are looking for/to do?  I can say on a CAT line you could or might do better with the current marketing but need more info.

If you could give a state/territory might help a bit...

With the attachments might look at a Deere crossover (agg/consturction) or a Case.  Also nothing wrong with used but I would stay away from a tier 4 final engine or less than 49 HP in certain states.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#16]
@kubota3430

**it's legit, don't ban me**'
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
If you do any fencing at all, a post hole digger is really nice.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deuskid:

I've heard several people say that tractor 3-pt back-hoes are a 'compromise'.  

If only needed occasionally, might be smarter to just rent a full back-hoe for a short period.  

ymmv
View Quote

On the size of tractor the OP is talking about, you can buy the framed mounted backhoe.  Deuskiud is correct avoid a 3 pt backhoe unless you have it on a 21 or less hp tractor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: I've got 50 acres and always running into situations where "man I wish I had a tractor" comes up.

From looking at their website the Tractor Loader Backhoe models seem appealing. The backhoe would be nice for digging gravel out of the pits. Not sure if I would be better off going with the M62 model over the L47. The M62 has about 4 foot more digging depth, which I do find appealing.

Main uses for tractor would be:

Digging gravel
Loading and spreading dirt and gravel
Grading my road
Mowing brush
Maybe snow plowing but my truck has a plow already

Not sure if the tractor/loader/backhoe model and be fitted with a mower.

What are the must haves? I definitely don't want to be 2 years down the line and be wishing I got something else.
View Quote

TLB cannot use 3 pt attachments as the rear of the tractor is not designed that way. So you need a regular tractor.

Grading road, you will want "top and tilt" or rear hydraulics, this also helps when attaching the 3pt equipment and when mowing, grading non level ground.

What do you mean by "digging gravel"?

You can buy an after market backhoe for Kubota, JD, etc.  Mine is a Woods brand, it has a hydraulic thumb.  You can many times buy a bigger backhoe for less money buying other than Kubota.

You are correct get bigger than you think you need/want.  For your 50 acres, 50hp would be a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I went to the CAT dealer and was told they have no sales reps on site and all were working from home.

Drove across the street to the Bobcat dealer and had a wonderful experience. Demo'd a brand new T770 in their back yard and had a blast. When I was done they offered to deliver the T770 and an E35 to my property for a weekend demo. Going to be a good weekend!

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#21]
If you would like to IM me regardless of the outcome I would like to know what dealer... That is NOT acceptable at all...  Sorry to hear.  CAT offerings are going to be much more costly but will or should have given you the specs your are looking for as far as performance even if you went with another manufacture.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#22]
There are many options out there, like buying a new car.....

I bought a new Branson 3725 last year with FEL, backhoe, box blade, etc.

Saved $10K compared to Kubota. Better built than Kioti. Better transmission than New Holland (I got the 12 speed, no hydro, no thank you).
After 4 months of research, the Branson stuck out heads and shoulder above everyone but Kubota, but $10K is $10K and I have no regrets.
Kubota only offered more options, not a better tractor IMO.
Don't buy a label, buy a well made tool and ignore the labels.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Goodbye MAHINDRA! We got a NEW Tractor!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to own a kubota M59 TLB and I sold it and bought a Deere 310SJ. Sold it and bought a Deere 35G mini ex. I also have a 333E tracked skid steer.

After I finished the bulk of my projects I sold the mini ex. I can rent one for $200 a day. No more than I need one I just rent when needed. A digger like that just isn’t used that often once you finish your projects. My skid steer gets used almost daily. My mini ex sat for three months before I decided to sell. If you have a big project in mind maybe buy one but I can almost guarantee once you finish it will sit a lot. I couldn’t justify a 30k machine sitting there getting used so little.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BCinAZ:
There are many options out there, like buying a new car.....

I bought a new Branson 3725 last year with FEL, backhoe, box blade, etc.

Saved $10K compared to Kubota. Better built than Kioti. Better transmission than New Holland (I got the 12 speed, no hydro, no thank you).
After 4 months of research, the Branson stuck out heads and shoulder above everyone but Kubota, but $10K is $10K and I have no regrets.
Kubota only offered more options, not a better tractor IMO.
Don't buy a label, buy a well made tool and ignore the labels.
View Quote

I bought a brand new Branson back in 2004. It was the biggest turd of a tractor I ever owned. Three clutches under warranty and busted several tie rods. I know how to run a tractor and wasn’t abusing the clutch. I have continuously had tractors the past twenty years and have never replaced a clutch except in that Branson.

I used it a lot though way more than the average homeowner. Probably over 100 hrs a month. The average tractor owner doesn’t put that many hours in a year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Just an update...

Going with the T770 and E50 mini ex.  Tried out some Cats but the Bobcat machines seemed a lot more refined and smoother to operate. Could be because they were brand new vs the few year old rental fleet equipment the Cat dealer dropped off.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice. Expensive .. used or new?.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Doodlebug:
I bought a brand new Branson back in 2004.
View Quote

16 years ago is a lifetime in manufacturing and quality control.

No doubt there were problems with every brand of machinery made at some point in it's history. That was a totally different tractor with a different importer/distributor.
Just as new cars are much different than 2 decades ago. Comparing a 2020 to a 2004 is foolishness. For an example, the engine is a Cummins diesel built for Cummins by the Korean engine builder. 20 years ago Cummins made their own engines. The same Cummins engine as sold to almost every other tractor label. The same Cummins engine is imported to the US for sale and use by other industries. Global manufacturing and global labeling has blurred the lines of who makes what and is brand x made by brand x or is it really brand y relabeled as brand x? The new Bobcats are made in Korea with plans to possibly move manufacturing to the US at a later date. Massey Ferguson is made in the same factory as Kioti.
LS is made by the same people as Bobcat as well as Mahindra and others.

The vast majority of ALL new tractors are as dependable as the average new car. The breakdown/warranty claim rate is under 1%. There will be isolated incidents of an unhappy customer, but the vast majority are very happy. If you go to Tractorsbynet.com you will see the complaints lodged against every brand involves decade old complaints, not new product.

QC today is far better than before.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#29]
to a point, there are still a number, though its hard to quantify , as they are really pissed and vocal of people waiting for x part for months. Overall though i run across few complaints from owners of any brand i run across at work.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BCinAZ:

16 years ago is a lifetime in manufacturing and quality control.

No doubt there were problems with every brand of machinery made at some point in it's history. That was a totally different tractor with a different importer/distributor.
Just as new cars are much different than 2 decades ago. Comparing a 2020 to a 2004 is foolishness. For an example, the engine is a Cummins diesel built for Cummins by the Korean engine builder. 20 years ago Cummins made their own engines. The same Cummins engine as sold to almost every other tractor label. The same Cummins engine is imported to the US for sale and use by other industries. Global manufacturing and global labeling has blurred the lines of who makes what and is brand x made by brand x or is it really brand y relabeled as brand x? The new Bobcats are made in Korea with plans to possibly move manufacturing to the US at a later date. Massey Ferguson is made in the same factory as Kioti.
LS is made by the same people as Bobcat as well as Mahindra and others. 

The vast majority of ALL new tractors are as dependable as the average new car. The breakdown/warranty claim rate is under 1%. There will be isolated incidents of an unhappy customer, but the vast majority are very happy. If you go to Tractorsbynet.com you will see the complaints lodged against every brand involves decade old complaints, not new product.

QC today is far better than before.
View Quote

My 1981 4440 has over 8,000 hours on it and never has had any of the issues that POS did. They may be different today I don’t know but they sold me a pile of junk back then and I won’t be buying anything else from them. I have plenty of other things from that vintage that didn’t fall apart.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
to a point, there are still a number, though its hard to quantify , as they are really pissed and vocal of people waiting for x part for months. Overall though i run across few complaints from owners of any brand i run across at work.
View Quote

That is pretty much across the board now, not just to a handful of manf.

Just had a LinkBelt 3140HTC lost a boom harness... Got told since it was made 'to order' over seas it will take 16 months to have made...  Good thing cat-V cable is available anywhere and have a DT harness kit...

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got 16 acres in TX, mostly wooded. I'm looking at a Kubota L2501 with bucket,grapple and Brush hog to maintain trails,clear out yupon, move dirt etc, you guy's think it would be to small of a tractor
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Depends on how much free time you have to spend.

A tractor is a force multiplier. It does the work of 4 or 6 or 12 guys in an hour.
I would not use anything under 30hp with the larger frame for 16 acres.

I use a 3725 for 1.8 acres and 5 acres. It does 3 times the work as a 25hp tractor in any given hour.

Price is always a consideration, a larger tractor costs more but it does the work so much faster and safer than a small tractor working at it's limits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Depends on how much free time you have to spend.

A tractor is a force multiplier. It does the work of 4 or 6 or 12 guys in an hour.
I would not use anything under 30hp with the larger frame for 16 acres.

I use a 3725 for 1.8 acres and 5 acres. It does 3 times the work as a 25hp tractor in any given hour.

Price is always a consideration, a larger tractor costs more but it does the work so much faster and safer than a small tractor working at it's limits.
View Quote

That is a very good explanation. Sure there are exceptions like a 25hp tractor isn’t going to pickup a 5,000 lb pallet but for the most part a small tractor will do whatever a larger one will just slower. It all depends how much time you have and if you are busy with other shit and view the tractor work as a chore and just want it done as quick as possible or if you enjoy using the tractor and don’t care how long it takes. I have been in both categories. When I started I loved using my tractor and tried to come up with projects just to use the the damn thing. Now I have far more shit that needs to be done than I have time and buy whatever I need to get shit done as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is a very good explanation. Sure there are exceptions like a 25hp tractor isn’t going to pickup a 5,000 lb pallet but for the most part a small tractor will do whatever a larger one will just slower. It all depends how much time you have and if you are busy with other shit and view the tractor work as a chore and just want it done as quick as possible or if you enjoy using the tractor and don’t care how long it takes. I have been in both categories. When I started I loved using my tractor and tried to come up with projects just to use the the damn thing. Now I have far more shit that needs to be done than I have time and buy whatever I need to get shit done as quickly as possible.
View Quote

to a point. 5ft vs 6ft bushog? not much difference
4 ft vs 6 ft snowblower equaling a full extra pass to blow a driveway? bigger difference. also bucket height matters alot if you are loading a truck etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I went from a 6' shredder and other implements on a compact tractor  to a 140 HP tractor,  14' shredder, 21' disc, etc. What used to take all day can be done in a few hours. I don't have a huge farm or anything either only about 30 acres and only about 20 of it gets shredded, plowed, planted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top