Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2020 11:15:59 PM EDT
I’m no camera snob.   In fact I haven’t bought a serious camera since I laid down some serious money on a Minolta Maxxum 5000i.  That was a long time ago.

I find myself wanting to get into photography again.  I was trained professionally on film, have had a few point & shoot fixed lens digitals, but I want something more advanced. I’m going to be doing a lot of travel this year and want something that can do pictures, video, macro, wildlife the whole 9.  I have about $1000 to spend. This is what I’m looking at:

Canon EOS Rebel T7i Digital SLR Camera 18-55mm STM Lens + Canon EF 75-300mm III Lens + Ritz 64GB + 60" Tripod + Filter Kit + Bag + Microphone + Accessory Bundle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XIHD3EM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Ba2rEbNDEV3WS

Thoughts, suggestions, or replacement ideas welcome
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a bundle that contains only the camera and lenses.
Everything else in that package is junk at best and will degrade your photos at worst.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Also look at USM lenses rather the STM. It's usually a faster focus.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Consider a bridge camera.

Panasonic FZ1000 is excellent for the money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I am currently in the market also and was looking at similar bundles. Looks like what a previous poster said about the other junk in the bundle is correct. Anything with the cannon label is good but the filters tripod and other stuff is cheap junk.
From the research I've done its best to buy the camera and lens's you want and get the accessories separately.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I bought it.  I appreciate everyone’s input.  I am like the poster above me in that the extras weren’t what I was interested in.  I wanted the camera, and lenses and that was the price I was willing to pay.  I have a really good vortex tripod, but I’m inclined to use this and keep the vortex nice.  I’ve already taken a few point and shoot pictures and I’m happy with it so far.  I plan to shoot some macro in the bee hives this summer.

Mrs Preacherman:
Attachment Attached File

Doggy Preacherman:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
For a $1000 budget, there are a lot of different ways you could go.  Are you 100% set on Canon or willing to entertain other brands?  Remember, you're buying into the lens system not the camera body itself these days.  Regardless of which system you go with, go see about handling one in person to see how you like it.  Nikon ergonomics are great for me, but Canon just feels 'off' in my hand.

Nikon usually has some pretty solid sales on refurb gear a couple times a year and Olympus refurbs are usually a good deal as well.  The Olympus OMD is a pretty solid mirrorless camera line as well.

Personally I'd look at a refurb Nikon D7500 and 24-120mm f/4 lens for right around $1000 on sale.  That's a solid walking around lens that'll do regular photos and work decent for video.  That said, Nikon video AF tracking can be spotty sometimes.  Photo AF tracking is fantastic though.  Macro and wildlife would end up needing more money for dedicated stuff, although you can get a set of reverse rings to do 'old school' macro work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the T6i, great camera. I'm now debating the T8i or the 90D... choices choices
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#11]
L glass is magic
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I finally burned through my canon t2i dslr.  I think I got around 16k or so exposures. As for cam advice, I’d seriously consider a mirrorless cam. You won’t wear it out nearly as quick as a dslr, shuttering doesn’t make noise or vibrate either on mirrorless. These last 2 points are important if you’re working with wildlife that can get spooked and also long range photos where the bounce of the shutter will blur the image.  I’d give it a good look, maybe test them out in stores etc before you get invested in dslr lenses that don’t adapt too nicely to the new mirrorless ecosystem.

One last thing....get yourself a 30 to 50mm prime lens. They will focus insanely quickly and the f stop usually allows you to take pics in less than ideal light. You can get some amazing pics real quickly and not distract yourself or the subject dicking with a flash,
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
L glass is magic
View Quote
agreed, I put a 100-400 L mk II on my T6i... worth every penny
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
L glass is magic
I agree. Although the L primes really stand out of the crowd, the zooms give far better images than their low end counterparts (understandable though).
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Go mirrorless... and go small!

I use an Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkIII, and previously had the MkII and the original. They just released the E-M1 MkIII. Both cameras are awesome. Much smaller lenses for a similar field of view. VERY capable, in spite of the shit 'common wisdom' that smaller sensors are crap. They're not crap, they're just different.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
With prices dropping on the Canon RP, it would be a great option.
Full frame and with a cheap Canon adapter uses all of my older EOS lenses.

Price has also started to drop on the non-mirrorless lenses as Canon ramps up production of their RF mirrorless lenses.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#17]
You did good OP

They shoot good video as well.  The on camera mic isn't the best, but you can get a Rode videomic, attach it on the shoe and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks!    I’m really enjoying this thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top