Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2021 3:56:22 PM EDT
Curious how many folks around here work in or own a bike shop.  

Is it as bad as a gun shop, do operators come in and tell you about the Huffy they rode as an operator in Afghanistan?  

Something I have considered as my next career.  Granted, I think the next 24 months are going to be interesting.  

When I was a kid I used to stop in to Lee's Bike shop in Hollywood Florida and drool over all the bikes I could never afford.  People there were always cool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
OST

Interesting idea for a thread if anyone chimes in
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you know how to make a small fortune in bicycle shops?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I do all my work. I don’t trust bike shops.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do all my work. I don’t trust bike shops.
View Quote

I have always done my own work because I was broke-ass.

I did have e cog side spoke replaced once.

A while back and I was in a LBS and an older lady in there getting a front tube replaced.  She kept going on and on about being a professor at the local university.  I wanted to ask her why she didn't replace her own tube, since she was so smart.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a hard to beat online for bike prices ...you may have to make your living on parts and service
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Markup on new bikes is like 15 percent

the money is in service, parts, clothing and accessories
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ll buy parts, clothing, and accessories from a local shop but more often than not, they don’t have what I want in stock and have to order it. I can do order it myself to my house and not have to make special trip back to the shop. It amazes me when shops don’t have common things like brake pad, cassettes, or chains in stock. The only thing I consistently get from bike shops are shifter cables. The most reliable “bike shop” near me for parts is REI.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It used to be you could run a bike shop with a card of brakepads, 3 sizes of bearings, a compressor and 3 sizes of tubes.

Bikes used to have 47 parts

now there are 47 parts in the front fork
(which used to be 1 part)

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It used to be you could run a bike shop with a card of brakepads, 3 sizes of bearings, a compressor and 3 sizes of tubes.

Bikes used to have 47 parts

now there are 47 parts in the front fork
(which used to be 1 part)

View Quote

There always the "What the hell was Campagnolo thinking!?!?!"

I think the only Campy thing I own now is a peanut butter wrench.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Last place I lived had 2 bike shops. One guy just sold bikes, he did some repairs but only on bikes he sold. When you spoke to people he spoke down to them. He only liked what he sold and always talked shit about the brands he didnt sell. Just an all around asshole. I never saw more that a few people ever in his shop.

The other guy sold bikes, and did repairs on anything. He was very quiet and listened to his customers intently and then interjected his thoughts. He loved bikes, the older the better. Roll in a vintage Schwinn and he would swoon. Roll in a custom hand made racer dripping with vintage Campy and he would drop everything and drool. Walls adorned with his old racing jerseys and event T shirts.

If he didnt have what you wanted he would order it. If it wasn't something he sold, order it yourself ship to him and he would set it up. He had a very large inventory of parts, accessories, clothing, tires, ect. He even had a museum of vintage bikes of all kinds.

Saturday you couldn't get in the door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top