User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I took my first one a few months ago, passed but didnt find out I passed until a week or so later. I found it pretty easy but mine was far from an interrogation. To me, felt more like a conversation with the examiner. I'm all done the hiring process and starting the academy this month. Best of luck man!
View Quote

Congrats! And thank you, best of luck to you as well. Stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just took it. I have never been interrogated by the KGB, but I feel like that was close. The Stone Cold B that administered had me not sure of anything by the end. I think I made it through the whole thing, but I’m not positive. My heart was pounding even in the initial interview.  She told me she has been doing this for 20 years and I’m lying about my drug use and theft from employers and that it is up to the department if I can test again. She also told me not to take deep breathes, after which I didn’t and she still accused me of doing it. She asked if someone had told me to do that. No lady, it’s because I’m on tilt hooked up to a weird machine and wearing a friggin mask. I was just trying to breathe! Not a fun experience at all and now I wait to hear what happens.
View Quote

Sounds a lot like my first one. I was positive I’d failed even though I had told the truth the entire time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I am consistently amazed when LE takes an adversarial relationship with their recruits.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just took it. I have never been interrogated by the KGB, but I feel like that was close. The Stone Cold B that administered had me not sure of anything by the end. I think I made it through the whole thing, but I’m not positive. My heart was pounding even in the initial interview.  She told me she has been doing this for 20 years and I’m lying about my drug use and theft from employers and that it is up to the department if I can test again. She also told me not to take deep breathes, after which I didn’t and she still accused me of doing it. She asked if someone had told me to do that. No lady, it’s because I’m on tilt hooked up to a weird machine and wearing a friggin mask. I was just trying to breathe! Not a fun experience at all and now I wait to hear what happens.
View Quote

She probably thought you were using countermeasures. If I were to guess I’d say your doubt/conscience about stealing/theft from an employer screwed you, which is why she kept grilling you on it. To be honest, doesn’t look good, but who knows.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She probably thought you were using countermeasures. If I were to guess I’d say your doubt/conscience about stealing/theft from an employer screwed you, which is why she kept grilling you on it. To be honest, doesn’t look good, but who knows.
View Quote

Had a friend get DQ'd for 2 years for "instituting countermeasures" during his polygraph. I've known the kid my entire life and never met somebody whose lived a more straight and narrow life. Never once drank underage, never even experimented with drugs, and not even as much as a speeding ticket on his driving record.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I did
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Until they ask you, "have you researched polygraph before taking this test?"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total mind screw.
Read up on antipolygraph.org on how it works. Do not play the countermeasures game with them.

Until they ask you, "have you researched polygraph before taking this test?"

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Taking the polygraph for my number one job pick this Thursday. It is my first polygraph ever and the anticipation is gutting me. Laid it all out in the background and just want to get it out of the way, but can’t help feeling nervous. Any words of advice or even funny stories or experiences? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Taking the polygraph for my number one job pick this Thursday. It is my first polygraph ever and the anticipation is gutting me. Laid it all out in the background and just want to get it out of the way, but can’t help feeling nervous. Any words of advice or even funny stories or experiences? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Clench your bowels or press your foot into a tack in your shoe during the control/baselining questions and control your breathing during the real session.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You usually find out the same day or next day, so what's the official verdict?
View Quote

I imagine this is hugely dependent on the agency. For my agency it took me just shy of three years from application to employment offer, so after my polygraph I didn’t hear anything from anyone for several months until I was invited back for the next step in the process. Took my partner six years so I feel lucky LOL.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Something to hide????

Just be honest.  They are looking more for honesty than normal people doing normal things...  I smoked pot a couple times, tried mushrooms once, drank like a fish in my college years, etc.  They are more making sure you are honest than anything else.  If you lie, you are screwed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Complete garbage science along with the “great value version” they call the cvsa.

As someone above said it serves only to create an adversarial relationship with recruits.  Agencies that employ it and treat its “results” as gospel are likely the same ones wondering why they can’t get a steady flow of decent candidates.  

The idea that agencies treat it as a pass fail bottleneck when it isn’t generally court admissible is a good example of a major issue in modern hiring and recruitment.

It’s pretty much the rule that the examiners are people that are just straight up dicks rejected from the irs and get off on the petty amount of power they wield and love to swear up and down about how good they are and the machine is infallible.  

For the record I passed the only one I ever took although the cvsa I took spat out 3 different results each time I took it back to back to back.  Real accuracy there lol.

At my one agency that used it I frequently inquired about how many days I would get on the beach for drinking a gallon of lemonade and watering the dedicated laptop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I highly recommend going in like a smart ass. Argue as much as possible. Never just answer yes or no with sexual questions, go into great details.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeezus! I say fuck the polygraph and take the firefighter exam!
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Jeezus! I say fuck the polygraph and take the firefighter exam!
View Quote

Unless you live somewhere, where even the FD has a poly....its a stupid test used by many places still.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
These threads always bring out a few people who think they are experts but actually know nothing about lie detection instruments.
View Quote

It's like GD but more specific.  A bunch of know it alls that know nothing........
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top