Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2021 11:40:30 AM EDT
I have a big challenge for myself this year: Tire flip the Maynard.

The Maynard is a 10.65 mile loop around town, hills, rollers, and a hard run (for a nonrunner like myself). Attached is a ruck strava for elevation gain. 3 long hills, rollers from mile 8 on, it sucks.

Attachment Attached File

So what is the logical step? Flip a tire around it, for charity of course. Proceeds will benefit a local youth focused nonprofit, when that's all set up. (Not pushing wares here, but if doing something so stupid there has to be a good reason behind it).

The tire:Attachment Attached File

The one on the right. The one on the truck is 35" (315/70R17) and it looks so tiny. It weighs about 200-225 lbs. It's a bitch for distance.

Today I did a test on weak points and time. Tire was filled with water so that didn't help any. .10 miles in just under 10 minutes, means 1070 minutes at that rate, almost 17 hours, assuming (how conditioned I am at this point) I don't get tired over the whole event.

Weak points: all. After my last big stupid event, Maynard Murph where I ran this same route in a weight vest, then did a full Murph, I slowed my running down to almost nothing, and grabbed the ruck for easy slow miles. Conditioning went to shit, which is a big thing I need to work on for this. I do have a 120 lb sandbag (since gyms here are in stupid curfew laws) to work with for the strength aspect.

Attachment Attached File

Plan is for a 3 day PPL, adding cleans and kettlebell swings, in high rep fashion. Pull - deads, rows, pull ups. Push - push ups, weighted, elevated feet, OHP (planning on grabbing some smaller filler bags, using cindys, kettlebells, etc for this as well). Legs - squats, lunges, weighted sprints, cleans. On not PPL days, a conditioning day, a pure flip day, an active recovery day in there too. Nightly stretching just to not get stuff and stay limber.

I am going to keep this updated for a log, just to keep track of it and measure progress. Not really going to count reps of flips, but more so distance. I am open to suggestions and critiques, and you can call me stupid for thinking this shit up, I'm good with that too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
This guy did one for 13 miles.

Says his forearms hurt the most.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19543409/flipped-tire-13-miles/
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This guy did one for 13 miles.

Says his forearms hurt the most.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19543409/flipped-tire-13-miles/
View Quote

That is the only record I could find, and I have read several articles of his event, but very little could be found about his training, except for what's in that article where he added deads and cleans, but that was all I could find.

So I added those in, figured 120 (+/-, bit will work towards +) for those and other movements will build strength, conditioning, and pure hell to training.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just some suggestions, I would add glute hams for endurance to help with that high volume of triple extension.

As a “finisher,” I would think about weighted bent/flexed arm hangs to hep with forearm endurance development.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just some suggestions, I would add glute hams for endurance to help with that high volume of triple extension.

As a “finisher,” I would think about weighted bent/flexed arm hangs to hep with forearm endurance development.
View Quote

Great thoughts, had thought about the forearm but not the glute/ham. Gotta see what I can do for that with little equipment because fucking gyms on curfew....
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Great thoughts, had thought about the forearm but not the glute/ham. Gotta see what I can do for that with little equipment because fucking gyms on curfew....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cook Hip Bridge Progression
Walking lunges
RDLs (with a bar or even walking)
Good Mornings
Straight Leg Deads
Cable machine pull through
Glute Ham negatives on the floor
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that's epic.

Just put the tire on a rim then mount and drive that distance.

I am impressed
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cook Hip Bridge Progression
Walking lunges
RDLs (with a bar or even walking)
Good Mornings
Straight Leg Deads
Cable machine pull through
Glute Ham negatives on the floor
View Quote

Thank you!! I am going to incorporate these into training days. I was thinking some lunges and GM, but the RDL and SDL are great thoughts as well!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow that's epic.

Just put the tire on a rim then mount and drive that distance.

I am impressed
View Quote

We have a "challenge" in our workout group called "Do Epic Shit" and its what is epic to you. Some guys ran ultras, trail ultras, first marathons, stupid long stupid heavy rucks, etc. Mine for 2020 was the "Maynard Murph" which was horrible, in the best way possible.

I have a LONG way to go to train up for this, as going 1/4 mile was hell on legs and forearms, and 1/4 mile doesn't even get to the first turn. Ill get there, just takes time and training.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
How many flips in your 1/10th mile test?

This is quite the epic endeavor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many flips in your 1/10th mile test?

This is quite the epic endeavor.
View Quote

I honestly did not count. I haven't been too concerned with the number, but the distance, but in thinking about it I need to count it to get a different idea on how many there will be in this. Will hit the tire again tomorrow for a count and more tire work, starting the training set above, with added stuff from HeyCoach, to really start pushing the needle towards progressing.

Did a small workout friday, will had some soreness from Wednesday but pushed through. Heavy carries, 120 lb rows, deads, 60 lb cleans, sledgehammer hits on a different tire. Then a 15 min/mile ruck for 1 mile.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I honestly did not count. I haven't been too concerned with the number, but the distance, but in thinking about it I need to count it to get a different idea on how many there will be in this. Will hit the tire again tomorrow for a count and more tire work, starting the training set above, with added stuff from HeyCoach, to really start pushing the needle towards progressing.

Did a small workout friday, will had some soreness from Wednesday but pushed through. Heavy carries, 120 lb rows, deads, 60 lb cleans, sledgehammer hits on a different tire. Then a 15 min/mile ruck for 1 mile.
View Quote

So, maybe 1 flip will get you 8'-10'(?) on even ground.  That'll be anywhere from 528-660 reps for a mile, good gawd man.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#12]
With the rain here last couple of days, I did not hit the tire. Yesterday was better, but feeling a bit under the weather didn't help.

Today I broke out the sandbag and cindy for a leg focused day.

Clean to 5 front squats, thruster to put the bag on the back, 5 back squats.
RDLs
Lunges with the cindy.

Repeato about 12 times. Walking will suck today, but feels good.

I'm having a weird pain in my left knee, so I'm thinking about an appointment for tomorrow to have someone take a peak at it just to see what the issue may be. With it being 20-30* here in the morning, I can see a stiffness issue, but would rather be safe than sorry and have an issue either in training or during the event.

Pull day tomorrow, push day Friday, and tire on Saturday. Mix some HIIT in with the push/pull days for some added conditioning. I will get a count on flips/distance to be able to do some maths on about how many I'm looking at for this event. No matter, it's going to be a stupid amount.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like rhabdo waiting to happen.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote

or a repetitive stress injury. Don't want to be a downer, but it's something to watch out for given the huge number of reps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good luck!

Quoted:

or a repetitive stress injury. Don't want to be a downer, but it's something to watch out for given the huge number of reps.

Both are very large considerations. Nutrition and hydration leading up to and most importantly during the event are key things I am looking at and always looking to improve. I have been talking to several of the guys in the group about long events and what they eat and drink for ideas. Tailwind, PBJ sammies, quick carb hits like gummy bears, runners gummies, gus, trail mix, etc have been brought up a lot, and as I go further into the training I am going to implement these suggestions into the training and nutrition plan. I do not want anything new for event day, last thing I want is to have the shits going through town overnight flipping this bitch. Re: repetitive stress injury - one reason I am starting so early and building strong foundations - however - I am more than likely not doing a dry run for the full distance, but will be working up to miles at a time. I need to find a place where I can go for miles without disturbing people. Right now the tire is in a church parking lot (hidden away for others to use, both on their own or part of a more "formal" workout) surrounded by neighborhoods. No real industrial area close where I could do it, but can tote the tire there when I am ready to go further. I do have a semi-residential area that may work.

Today, pull day, I was at a local elementary school with the cinder block, sandbag, and many pull up options from the play ground. With the bag, I would 1 dead, 1 row x 5, 15 curls with the block, 10 pull ups, x 15 rounds. Heavy carry with the bag and block (bag on shoulders, switching hands with the block to keep it one handed and hitting the forearms.

I did wake up later than I wanted to, and still a bit sore from legs day yesterday, but hitting it hard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Did push day Friday, largely unexciting, ohp with a 60lb sandbag, pushups in different configurations - normal, on the block, one hand on the block, diamonds, diamonds on the block, all with various footing - elevated, on ground, and some with feet well above the head. Floor presses with the 60 as well.

Push day needs to be a bit more organized for me, but felt it for a bit so it did it's job.

Because of weather I didn't hit the tire until today (not wanting to have issues flipping a tire in rain/wintry mix conditions). 0.1 mile = about 70 flips. Garmin said I went .45 miles, but some of that was walking to grab some pull ups and walking out some soreness/cool down. My back is a huge weak spot, so possibly adding an additional pull/back day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]
You think about a way to load your tire for training, or train with a heavier tire as you progress?

Like these guys have 3 smaller diameter tires in theirs.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:48:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 trie flips in entire lifting career

First one went okay, blew my bicep off on the 2nd one

This challenge sounds like literal Hell to me lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You think about a way to load your tire for training, or train with a heavier tire as you progress?

Like these guys have 3 smaller diameter tires in theirs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123106/tire_PNG-1785208.JPG

View Quote

I haven't thought about loading the tire, but do have a couple of heavier tires at the ready. Have wondered if going heavier for training in a shorter session would carry over to the lighter tire for a longer run.

Yesterday was pull day. Deads, rows, pull ups and curls. Lots of them. Just did circuits and spent about 2 hours doing it.

Today was a push day. Pushups in many different varieties, dips, OHP and floor presses.

My arms are quite sore.

Had a physical therapy appointment today for my knee, and came back to what looks to be a strength imbalance and some minor flexibility and mobility. Hip flexors and balance would be good to add some strength to for increase in strength coming with the training
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Between the weather, work, and the wife not feeling well, not much true training has been done since thrusday.

Today was a pull day, a slight rain prevented the tire from coming out, but was planning on doing tire flips today. 17 rounds of deads, rows, cindy curls (the cinder block helps with changing up hand position to challenge it differently, and cheap as fawk), and pull ups.

Another PT appointment today, working isometrics and balance to help with the strength imbalance in the hips and knees, and my PT is a CSCS and told her about this stupidity and has mentioned some other things to work on as well.

I don't remember if I posted it here, but I was looking at the route, between running it several times before, rucking it several times before, and driving it focused on this event, there is a lack of sidewalks in some places. I was looking at possibly changing the route to the American Tobacco Trail, it has less hills so would have to increase the distance to compensate. Go to a full half mary. Tobacco Trail Most of the parts I have been on has been natural trail, not paved, but I do see the paved sections in pictures and other guys who have done the entire trail. It was an old tobacco railroad foundation, so there are slight hills but long, not the same as the streets. What would you think? Or is this taking stupid to crazy?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
After some fun winter weather, Had a push day yesterday and on top of the usual work, I hit the dips and triceps hard. Tricep extensions with a filler bag, dips with the full 120 on my lap (did not have a dip station in this park, had picnic tables and park benches).

Planning on tire flips tomorrow, now that the weather has cleared and other than being cold as shit should be a nice time for flips.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude just roll it.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dude just roll it.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.

View Quote

Too easy. You mean you dont want to flip a tire for miles instead of reps?

Its been raining here so no tire flips, but, as long as the weather is decent tomorrow morning, flipping for at least a mile, if not 2. Tire flips + rain = not a good, safe mixture.

Have been a little lax on the workouts, mainly because of work being absolutely stupid. 13+ hour days, both physically and mentally draining. Have done 2 legs days, a push and a pull day. I didnt count today as a pull day, but did a shit ton of pull ups.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Flipped for almost 1 mile today. My forearms are on fire now. Need to work on forearms and some back work, and focus on form more. I think some of the back soreness is form breaking down.

I was going to go for 1.5 at least, but my gloves were freezing to the tire, and I couldn't feel my fingers. It was like 28* here this morning. Ready for it to warm up and not have to worry about that. For the event, I was planning on taping hands and no gloves, just to not have any excuse for blisters or something like that to hinder process.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#25]
1.5 is pretty far.
Let us know how you feel tomorrow. I'm thinking that's when you're going to be really sore
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1.5 is pretty far.
Let us know how you feel tomorrow. I'm thinking that's when you're going to be really sore
View Quote

The hamstrings and forearms are wiped, but feeling better than they did yesterday afternoon. Yesterday afternoon they felt like they were on fire!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Missed a few days worth of updates.

Sunday did 7.5 miles of trail ruck, wet rainy trail ruck. Was fun and not at the same time.

Monday/Tuesday - general push/pull, all sandbag/kettlebell/cinder block stuff. Deads, rows, OHP, pushups, etc. Thursday did a OCR style workout, which was a lot of pull ups, monkey bars, and burpees, but had some running/conditioning and bucket carries, which I felt in my forearms. This works well for me as well as I have a Spartan Ultra in November, so doing some overlapping stuff as one definitely will not hurt the other. Friday was an off day from workouts, but had PT which does some legs and core isometrics, so its not all bad.

Today was a treat. Pulled the big stupid tire out and did 75% tire work, but not one single flip. I did sets of deads inside the tire, and the pull motion (sumo dead style I guess) from the side like a flip, but kept it from going over (mostly for noise, couldn't be but so loud where I was). Some KB work with rows, RDLs, curls, OHP, tricep work, and what we call "rock your bodys". Start in a squat hold, stand up, curl, OHP, tricep ext, then back down. 8 count movement and are no fun. Add in some dips on a bench and about 115 pull ups in the mix makes for a fun morning.

Its supposed to rain until next Sunday, 21 February. Great. Still cold as shit here too. Had wintry mix and freezing rain this morning while doing this work. Either parking deck work to stay dry (I really don't want to get sick and push back working out) and hopefully let the tire dry some before flips. As it warms up, going to transition to more flips than PPL, but it has to warm up. Thanks Punxsutawney Phil.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Another strength workout today, with a little more focus on some grip strength. Tire deads and lifts (I dont really know what to call these, but the flipping action without flipping) sandbag rows, RDLs, kettlebell swings and presses, and cindy farmers carries (one in each hand), floor presses. A little run for cardio, but maybe 1/4 mile. Some good core work too.

Forearms aren't happy. Carrying in groceries wasn't fun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Needing to update this, been a bit. School, work, and life have gotten in the way some, but keeping PT up to date with knee work, and doing some boring conditioning work, but nothing crazy. Weather is breaking here, and looking at days where I can get out and flip tires for hours on end will be coming.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Needing to update this, been a bit. School, work, and life have gotten in the way some, but keeping PT up to date with knee work, and doing some boring conditioning work, but nothing crazy. Weather is breaking here, and looking at days where I can get out and flip tires for hours on end will be coming.
View Quote

The prospect of that would make me dread the coming of spring
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I do a 10mile Ruck March every year supporting a Veteran cause here.  Each year a buddy and I carry a pound for every $100 raised.  We carry non perishable food which we donate afterwards.  A couple years ago we were around 75 pounds.  I ran half of the March.  Not sure if I didn't have the pack adjusted well enough or just coincidence but I paid for it with a ridiculously stiff neck for a week.  Couple more weeks before we did it again this year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#32]
First day back in the gym, other than to freeze my membership and to take a pre workout deuce in about a year. I have the sandbag but its not the same as a barbell. My lifts, as expected, went down, but it felt good. I did superset pull ups in between the sets. Going to feel these heavy(er) squats later today.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Question that had me thinking over the weekend:

On deadlift day, I do deads (of course) front squats, and incline bench as accessories. On a kinda halfway 531 protocol. I was thinking that since these lifts have the greatest carry over (outside of secondaries, like curls, hams and grip exercises) would it be smart to do these in a GVT fashion, just for the extra reps and conditioning of these muscles?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I wouldn’t do deadlift for reps, if I was going to GVT, I’d go RDLs/Straight Leg/Good Mornings for the hip hinge.

Muscle hypertrophy would not be a bad thing, have you thought of doing incline bench and then flat DB bench or barbell bench and incline DB bench as aux?

I’d work in high pulls/upright rows as well as KB swings to help endurance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t do deadlift for reps, if I was going to GVT, I’d go RDLs/Straight Leg/Good Mornings for the hip hinge.

Muscle hypertrophy would not be a bad thing, have you thought of doing incline bench and then flat DB bench or barbell bench and incline DB bench as aux?

I’d work in high pulls/upright rows as well as KB swings to help endurance.
View Quote

KB swings were going to be incorporated, not only endurance but grip as well. That was going to be a tertiary exercise, with curls and pull ups.

Those are good options for the GVT style training, good hip hinge and hammy work.

Upright rows are a good thing to work in as well. I was thinking curls every gym day, just for the tendon strength if nothing else, but add in some more like the KB swings, pull ups, and the upright rows would be a good one there as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#36]
One word, bananas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top