Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2020 1:11:53 PM EDT
Anyone try tactical barbell?  Just finished a few blocks of it ( 6 months or so ).    About to switch to the tac. Barbell conditioning one and looking for reviews.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I checked out their page.

Im gona be honest, I'm getting to the point where anytime I see someone use the word "tactical" or "operator" or "operational" in stuff that's is trying to get my money... I'm immediately turned off and my desire to mock them intensifies.

However.... I did read the "about" section. They do correctly ID one of my issues with the crossfit type workouts. And, per that that section, he fixes it. So thats nifty.

I'd want to look at their actual programming before I can say if I like it or not.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a lot of confidence in a guy who write's books / programs under a pen name and doesn't publish any pics of himself .... that said, it looks like his program is 3 sets of 5 reps using the standard big lifts with no accessary work which is pretty standard.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I checked out their page.

Im gona be honest, I'm getting to the point where anytime I see someone use the word "tactical" or "operator" or "operational" in stuff that's is trying to get my money... I'm immediately turned off and my desire to mock them intensifies.

However.... I did read the "about" section. They do correctly ID one of my issues with the crossfit type workouts. And, per that that section, he fixes it. So thats nifty.

I'd want to look at their actual programming before I can say if I like it or not.

View Quote

Yeah have to agree here. Looks interesting...I like what he has to say (except for the name) but would like to see actual programming.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the hard copy book and the kindle version.     Too much to explain but the program is very easy to follow which is why I decided to do it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
5/3/1 is easy to follow
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a Tactical strength and conditioning certification from the NSCA which is geared towards strength training first responders and other “operators.”

If I’m not mistaken that certification is more functional training and sumo deads seem to be the building blocks of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the hard copy book and the kindle version.     Too much to explain but the program is very easy to follow which is why I decided to do it.
View Quote

Can you show us what an average week is like? I'm curious.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tried sending msg. Says inbox is full
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty minimalist, the idea is to fit strength training around training for work (LEO, MIL, FIRE etc)

He's one template from the book.

How it works is like this. First pick a cluster from the list provided at the end of the chapter. Let’s use one of the recommended Zulu clusters as an example:
Bench press/ Squat/ Deadlift/ Overhead Press
Then you divide your cluster into half, like this:
Bench/ Squat
Deadlift/ Overhead Press
We’ll call the Bench/Squat session ‘A’ and the Deadlift/OHP session ‘B’
Sessions ‘A’ and ‘B’ are then each performed twice a week. This is the recommended weekly scheduling:
Day 1: A – Bench/ Squat
Day 2: B – Deadlift/OHP
Day 3:
Day 4: A – Bench/ Squat
Day 5: B- Deadlift/OHP
Day 6:
Day 7: Rest
The above represents the weekly frequency. Below, I’ve laid out both Zulu templates, Standard and I/A. The templates provide you with the amount of sets x reps x load. Plug the above exercises into the template you’ve chosen:

Attachment Attached File

Then it just has you plug in different things around that base, at least with that template. There's also 3x a week with 3 exercises a day, 2x week with a lot of conditioning, 3x week with focus on two lifts each day, etc.

Each template is kind of working around a strength base, and including additional work based on the goal, the same type of programming most guys fall into eventually anyway.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]
There's several different templates to follow. Like the zulu posted.  There's ones for guys that have hours to spend in gym and other ones for ppl that can only get in for a day or two at 30 min a session.      
      Once you pick what template and cluster you want you have a test day.  Max out.  Write it down.  And then you'll do the percentage of the max each week. Whether it be 70, 80 percent or 90 etc.     Supposed to do it for 6 weeks. Then either restart with Same weight max. Or test again
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oops, I'm a popular guy....
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It's awesome. Weekly undulating periodization. You focus on a few core lifts and get strong as hell. Allows plenty of room for conditioning and job specific training.

I've been using it on and off for a few years (Operator and Mass template from the 2nd edition). It will you into a beast.

I've used 531, cube, in the past. I've had my best gains from tactical barbell. I highly recommend it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top