Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 205
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I suspect the Aflac commercials are just to buy a nice car and a few vacations for the wife. Can't take him more than 3 days to do them.
View Quote

LMAO.
He doesn't need AFLAC money.
Saban owns part of a Mercedes dealership.

Check out this shit...

https://www.mbbhm.com/nick-saban-signature-series/
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I suspect the Aflac commercials are just to buy a nice car and a few vacations for the wife. Can't take him more than 3 days to do them.
View Quote
Yeah.  From appearances, it's not like he took acting classes or anything.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LMAO.

Check out this shit...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO.

Check out this shit...

Certainly doesn't need it, but if you could pull a quarter million or more doing a couple ad shoots during the off season, why wouldn't you? It's pure slush fund cash.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Saban also donates heavily to charity. Imagine this: Aflac flies him and his wife out to their studio, put them up in a nice hotel for a couple days and he reads lines for 4 hours in the afternoon. Then donates the whole fee, tax deductible to a charity of their choice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Copied & modified from this article.

The Tide, Aggies and Bulldogs give the Southeastern Conference three teams in the top seven. The SEC finished 7-2 in the bowls, counting Alabama's national championship victory.  Only Florida & Auburn abstained.

The Big 12 finished with a perfect record in five bowl games. Oklahoma and Iowa State were joined by No. 19 Texas and No. 20 Oklahoma State in the final rankings from that conference.

The ACC's postseason was a dud at 0-6. Clemson, Notre Dame, No. 14 North Carolina and No. 22 Miami gave the ACC four ranked teams.

Big-10 was 3-2 while the PAC-12 was 0-2.

I'll post the final polls shortly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Honestly I think it’s just that Bama is that good.

Is no one that good?
Same OSU team that just beat the crap out of Clemson.

I think the writing was on the wall when Bama didn’t make the playoffs last year. Saban and those players were on a mission this year.

That’s where the mentality is at Alabama. If you don’t win the NC you didn’t have a successful year. They don’t settle for 10-2 and a New Years 6 Bowl. Everyone one else is ok with that.
View Quote

What's funny was everyone was crowing about the end of the dynasty when they didn't make the playoff last year...with a banged up qb and no defense.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Saban also donates heavily to charity. Imagine this: Aflac flies him and his wife out to their studio, put them up in a nice hotel for a couple days and he reads lines for 4 hours in the afternoon. Then donates the whole fee, tax deductible to a charity of their choice.
View Quote

Honestly, not just the money, keeping yourself in the eye of your recruits/hires is savvy. He's not dumb. He's not a super personable guy, so this commercials are great PR for him and the program...and may set up his post-coaching career too (analyst, most likely).
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats Bama fans. Last nights game was a major beat down of my Bucks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh and I can’t let this go without saying;

The score last night was EXACTLY the score of the Bama / A&M game earlier this year that all the talking head naysayers used to state why A&M didn’t deserve a playoff spot.

That’s Gods way of telling them they were wrong. Gods favorite color is maroon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh and I can’t let this go without saying;

The score last night was EXACTLY the score of the Bama / A&M game earlier this year that all the talking head naysayers used to state why A&M didn’t deserve a playoff spot.

That’s Gods way of telling them they were wrong. Gods favorite color is maroon.
View Quote

Easy now. I'm on board with agreeing the Aggies legit got fucked over this year, but tap the brakes
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LMAO.

Check out this shit...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO.

Check out this shit...

He donates a good bit of that money to his foundation, Nick's Kids
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Consider this: Everyone is taking it for granted that Saban isn't going to the NFL, and quite frankly: Why would he? But just IMAGINE if he said tomorrow morning: "I'd like to coach in the NFL. Who wants to start the bidding?"
View Quote
the Bears wouldn't be interested!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh and I can't let this go without saying;

The score last night was EXACTLY the score of the Bama / A&M game earlier this year that all the talking head naysayers used to state why A&M didn't deserve a playoff spot.

That's Gods way of telling them they were wrong. Gods favorite color is maroon.
View Quote
OSU was a few covid restricted players and a couple inches away on some catches from making the score look a little more competitive than the game actually was.  I think if the committee could have justified putting the Aggies in vs clemson they would have but ranking them 4 for an sec rematch in the first round didnt make as much sense.

I'm pretty happy with the way this season turned out especially given how it started...finally got the clemson monkey off OSU's back.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Consider this: Everyone is taking it for granted that Saban isn't going to the NFL, and quite frankly: Why would he? But just IMAGINE if he said tomorrow morning: "I'd like to coach in the NFL. Who wants to start the bidding?"
View Quote

Miami Dolphins
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn't get home from work until the start of the 4th quarter and is was pretty much over by then.

Congrats, Bama!

Go Bucks!...next year.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Did LarryG get banned? I am looking through my PMs, and I'm not finding any of our old conversations.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did LarryG get banned? I am looking through my PMs, and I'm not finding any of our old conversations.
View Quote

Still shows him as a member but last post was 12/16/2019.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/LarryG_JPG-1776370.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/LarryG_JPG-1776370.JPG

Let’s summon him:

O’Bama O’Bama Penn State Penn State LarryG36
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Let’s summon him:

O’Bama O’Bama Penn State Penn State LarryG36
View Quote

Something something not a real AR-10
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd really love to see this year's Alabama team play Joe Burrow and LSU from last year...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd really love to see this year's Alabama team play Joe Burrow and LSU from last year...
View Quote

Rewatch Baylor-TCU from 2014
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wondered if something happened to Larry.............I've tried to contact him a few times, with no success. There is an obituary from Savannah that matches up with him, and I believe he may have passed away

Larry Gilbert

I'm pretty sure this is him...............Larry was a road racing fan, and worked in the telecom field
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really hate we didn’t get to play USC this year.  Love seeing the classic teams play.
View Quote
It wouldn't be right without Keith Jackson's voice calling the game.

Monk
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wondered if something happened to Larry.............I've tried to contact him a few times, with no success. There is an obituary from Savannah that matches up with him, and I believe he may have passed away

Larry Gilbert

I'm pretty sure this is him...............Larry was a road racing fan, and worked in the telecom field
View Quote

That's him.

Monk
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Easy now. I'm on board with agreeing the Aggies legit got fucked over this year, but tap the brakes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh and I can't let this go without saying;

The score last night was EXACTLY the score of the Bama / A&M game earlier this year that all the talking head naysayers used to state why A&M didn't deserve a playoff spot.

That's Gods way of telling them they were wrong. Gods favorite color is maroon.

That's kind of like saying ND only lost by 17 so it was a good match up. There are plenty of arguments to be made and even if there was a 8 or 16 team playoff people would still be bitching about their teams not making the cut or how the team has improved enough to be in the mix.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

View Quote

That is for sure him.

RIP.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

@ ArmyInfantryVet
Probably why older messages are missing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember Larry have heart issues.  I believe.  Hey we may bitched back and forth. But he was one of us. RIP my brother.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

R.I.P.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh - and that's 11 out of the last 15 national titles that went to the...

SEC! SEC! SEC!

View Quote

Careful or someone will report you......oh wait
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That is for sure him.

RIP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

That is for sure him.

RIP.

I'll miss his Sportscar Racing threads and discussions, RIP LARRYG
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

Damn, he was a grumpy old cuss, but you hate to see that. He was a longtime arfcommer and seemed like he was good person (if not overly opinionated ). RIP Larry.

I’ve been worried that something had happened to him when I hadn’t seen him post in so long.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Damn, he was a grumpy old cuss, but you hate to see that. He was a longtime arfcommer and seemed like he was good person (if not overly opinionated ). RIP Larry.

I’ve been worried that something had happened to him when I hadn’t seen him post in so long.
View Quote

Despite the gruff exterior, Larry was a good guy and I considered him a friend, and had many talks with him on the phone. He was a big Porsche aficionado, and loved road racing. I hate to see it as well. I tried contacting him a few times, but was never able to get ahold of him....... very sad
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I say no.
Dude is a workaholic. That was proven when he was in his office the day after having a hip replacement. Damn take a day off.
And he probably really enjoys what he does. When you find your passion in life and make it your work you become really good at it and it makes going to work enjoyable.

He could probably make twice what he does by being a motivational speaker, consultant etc.
I doubt he’s motivated by money though. That’s a byproduct of being the best at what you do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the most important question. Will saban finally retire after this and give everyone else a chance?

I say no.
Dude is a workaholic. That was proven when he was in his office the day after having a hip replacement. Damn take a day off.
And he probably really enjoys what he does. When you find your passion in life and make it your work you become really good at it and it makes going to work enjoyable.

He could probably make twice what he does by being a motivational speaker, consultant etc.
I doubt he’s motivated by money though. That’s a byproduct of being the best at what you do.

I read somewhere that he has three income sources.  Salary, shoe and equipment money and advertising money.  Two of the three he donates to charities.  Coach Bryant in the seventies used to sign all of his salary paychecks back to the university, too, so it may be common with coaches.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saban’s favorite aspect of coaching is recruiting.  Since that’s not part of pro football, I doubt he would go back to the NFL.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larry Gilbert

Ah, damn.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Monk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really hate we didn’t get to play USC this year.  Love seeing the classic teams play.

Monk

That’s a fact!  If I was the owner of a media company that broadcasted football games, all of my announcers would have to watch Keith Jackson’s games during the off season.  The man loved the sport and was just as excited calling a game with two un ranked teams as much as a National Championship game and could do so completely unbiased.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Saban’s favorite aspect of coaching is recruiting.  Since that’s not part of pro football, I doubt he would go back to the NFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saban is a total control freak.  He controls the college players who are on scholarship much better than he could the Pro players.

Recruiting is indeed one area where he excels.  Winning with a team comprised of 80% + blue chips is much easier than with a pro team that is closer (in talent) to all the other teams in the league.  Drafts make the talent much closer than the college recruiting methods does.

I am not saying any of that in a bad way.  He and his system works for college.  NFL?   Not so much.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's kind of like saying ND only lost by 17 so it was a good match up. There are plenty of arguments to be made and even if there was a 8 or 16 team playoff people would still be bitching about their teams not making the cut or how the team has improved enough to be in the mix.
View Quote

Yep.  If A&M had edged out ND, people would be complaining the Irish should have been picked.  Sports media keeps this stirred up because they can make more money off of an 8 team playoff.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Saban is a total control freak.  He controls the college players who are on scholarship much better than he could the Pro players.

Recruiting is indeed one area where he excels.  Fielding & coaching a team with 80% + blue chips is much easier than coaching a team that is closer (in talent) to all the other teams in the league.

I am not saying any of that in a bad way.  He and his system works for college.  NFL?   Not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recruiting is indeed one area where he excels.  Fielding & coaching a team with 80% + blue chips is much easier than coaching a team that is closer (in talent) to all the other teams in the league.

Correct.  Coaching in the NFL is definitely a different animal.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#50]

There’s more people in that one picture of the Strip than at all of the Biden rallies.
Page / 205
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top