User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2023 1:05:22 AM EDT
Looking for a TAD Talisman in Havana Brown, XL
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy hell,…. There’s a name I haven’t heard in a while…
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

$425 and it needs to be waxed to stay waterproof. Is this a style over function jacket?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

$425 and it needs to be waxed to stay waterproof. Is this a style over function jacket?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

heritage materials
Waxed cotton

It’s right there in the description. Some people look for that, TAD is providing it. They also provide many other options that don’t need such upkeep.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think they only sell direct. Waxed cotton is for the form over function crowd and guys that own stupid expensive over & under shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Other than second hand or ebay you will have to buy directly from TAD.  I wish they would open a factory store in Old Fort, NC where much of their clothing and gear is made.
Their sizing is just all over the place and ordering from them without being able to try on first has steered me away from them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think they only sell direct. Waxed cotton is for the form over function crowd and guys that own stupid expensive over & under shotguns.
View Quote

Unless my jacket is taking me to dinner, followed by a full body massage... No waxing!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I got one of these, nobody seems to want..NWOT..

Hardshell, naturally waterproof without melting candles on it
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, and way over priced for what they are but they go well with skinny jeans…
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Way back in the day there was a Gear of the TAD thread.  Their shorts have gone from $75 to $175, thanks Joe Biben.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I missed that thread, we should start a new one..

Anybody get one of these? There Kung flu mask they put out during the lockdown period...

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

heritage materials
Waxed cotton

It’s right there in the description. Some people look for that, TAD is providing it. They also provide many other options that don’t need such upkeep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

heritage materials
Waxed cotton

I understand
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

heritage materials
Waxed cotton

I understand
https://imgs.search.brave.com/baAdq8Dhyd9JNkl2LQcsLy1FrEPImkDCEg81kuKdJes/rs:fit:660:225:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly90c2Uy/Lm1tLmJpbmcubmV0/L3RoP2lkPU9JUC5C/VHkxbEFLRFFYZ1B5/Mjl0aFFTNDJnSGFG/VSZwaWQ9QXBp

You know it’s not just for Renaissance fairs. You can incorporate this look into your every day wardrobe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Not related. But I should name my next dog Tad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

heritage materials
Waxed cotton

I understand
https://imgs.search.brave.com/baAdq8Dhyd9JNkl2LQcsLy1FrEPImkDCEg81kuKdJes/rs:fit:660:225:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly90c2Uy/Lm1tLmJpbmcubmV0/L3RoP2lkPU9JUC5C/VHkxbEFLRFFYZ1B5/Mjl0aFFTNDJnSGFG/VSZwaWQ9QXBp

Attachment Attached File

No, I don’t own the TD jacket being discussed, nor do I own a puffy pirate shirt either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Whoa that's a blast from the past. I remember when they were all the rage on ARF.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Take a look at Filson or Barbour prices...it's priced accordingly.

Quoted:

Not necessarily, but I do think many are more concerned about looks more than function, I wear my Barbour coat most days during the winter here; not really cold, but often wet and cool and waxed cotton (specifically Ventile) has some pretty well-established properties for harsh environments. It's one of the few cotton garments I don't apply the "cotton will kill you" argument for the outdoors.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#18]

For when you’re riding your Indian through the norther plains to commune with wolves and your pet raptor “Raptly” just before heading out on an adventure to steal the Declaration of Independence.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not necessarily, but I do think many are more concerned about looks more than function, I wear my Barbour coat most days during the winter here; not really cold, but often wet and cool and waxed cotton (specifically Ventile) has some pretty well-established properties for harsh environments. It's one of the few cotton garments I don't apply the "cotton will kill you" argument for the outdoors.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROCK6

Bingo

https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/best-made-waxed-cotton-jacket-B3267.html?color=WXT

Duluth’s version is $300, and I wouldn’t say they are a high end brand at all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROCK6

Does waxed cotton do anything better than modern technical fabrics? Maybe long term durability at the expense of being heavy? It’s old tech it still works but is surpassed in almost every performance metric.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got one of these, nobody seems to want..NWOT..

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/I6MAAOSwvCpiP6iJ/s-l500.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/eb/d4/c3/ebd4c337447d31877ac51225bd3481bf--agent-smith-tad-gear.jpg
Hardshell, naturally waterproof without melting candles on it
View Quote

That’s an obvious copy of a Condor jacket that sells for $85.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

I Checked them out. Still not convinced.

Not going to lie, I would rock their wool jac-shirt. $425 as well
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#23]
If I ever met the dude who owns TAD, I'd shake his hand.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does waxed cotton do anything better than modern technical fabrics? Maybe long term durability at the expense of being heavy? It’s old tech it still works but is surpassed in almost every performance metric.
View Quote

Style and a little more robust. When waxed, it’s water and windproof, but they’re likely heavier than similar designed synthetics. The irony is that waxed cotton is robust enough for bushwacking through briars or cooking over an open fire, but I sure as hell won’t be testing that on my $400+barbour jacket in that environment. I do know that cotton is a good working garment, in that they can take a lot more abuse than most synthetics. They’re often a little more robust to resisting tears, punctures, or dealing with embers.

I see waxed cotton like heavier wool garments. They’re great for a day in the outdoors (day hike, hunting, etc.), but not something I want to backpack or camp with.  There’s no denying they’re more about style than function as their function isn’t really used for much beyond a little urban jungle, suburban safari, white collar work wear.

My son has a Filson Tin-cloth jacket that he’s used extremely hard and it still looks quite nice.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's an obvious copy of a Condor jacket that sells for $85.
View Quote
Lulz
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had a dude come into my shop and I said "that's a TAD Ranger hoodie isn't it?". I had on TAD jeans.

We had a not gay bro fist bump lol

Not to hijack, but Beyond has a lot of their Made in US clothes 50% off or more right now. Lots of regular sizes available.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Waxed cotton? Sounds like a Barbour knock off.    Even looks like a Barbour knock off.

Barbour Sapper?

That's hilarious they even use the same fabric supplier as Barbour...
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The irony is that waxed cotton is robust enough for bushwacking through briars or cooking over an open fire, but I sure as hell won’t be testing that on my $400+barbour jacket in that environment.
View Quote

Typically you'd do that sort of thing in your 3rd generation hand me down Barbour... of course should you do it in your new one and damage it you can always send it back to be fixed.

One thing Barbour has always done right is customer service.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a ranger lt jacket and a just ordered a couple merino wool shirts. the jacket is really nice and better than less expensive fleece I have. Military discount is decent. Still expensive though.

Fwiw, the shipping is kinda slow, and still no update on a return they received 13days ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're on Facebook there is the TADjunkies group. Lots of buy/sell/trade there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I own a pair of their pants. They're nice, but the ones I have don't flex which is rough for active use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a ranger lt jacket and a just ordered a couple merino wool shirts. the jacket is really nice and better than less expensive fleece I have. Military discount is decent. Still expensive though.

Fwiw, the shipping is kinda slow, and still no update on a return they received 13days ago.
View Quote

I have the old school Stealth soft shell from 10 years ago and it’s awesome. Worth every penny. I have a cheap fleece (Rothco), but I want a Ranger. Just struggle spending the $$. Might get a Beyond if the 50% thing I read is real. Also interested in a Duckworth Merino Cloud jacket
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a Barbour or Filson with the dry finish
You get the classic look without the smell and rewarding.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

A tincloth jacket is my take along quail hunting jacket when thick briars are expected
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#36]
They usually run a pretty good sale before winter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve got the shagmaster hoodie which is nice for hanging out at the house or a non windy cold night. Also got the shagmaster blanket and that thing is warm. The rouge rs jacket looks good but it’s more form over function.

Like someone else said their sizes are all over the place so be prepared to return stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I have one of the old Ranger hoodies, heavier than the current LT one. Must be 12 years old, maybe 15. Thing is awesome.

Back then XL was what you’d expect for XL. Now it’s hard to tell what XL will for like.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have the old school Stealth soft shell from 10 years ago and it's awesome. Worth every penny. I have a cheap (Rothco), but I want a Ranger. Just struggle spending the $$. Might get a Beyond if the 50% thing I read is real. Also interested in a Duckworth Merino Cloud jacket
View Quote
I just got the zipper replaced in my soft shell Stealth, circa 2011.  What a fucking awesome piece of gear.  It's become my beater jacket now, but the day after I got it back from the repair place, I tore a small hole in the arm on the fence while feeding the chickens.    I need to patch it.

I bought a Ranger this winter.  Highly recommended.  You won't do it in TX, but I can layer it under my Stealth, and you're good to zero or so.  I wear the Ranger very often from my house to my shop.  Great middleweight fleece.

If I'm packing a bag to take with me while be dropped anywhere on Earth, it will have a soft shell Stealth in it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Way back in the day there was a Gear of the TAD thread.  Their shorts have gone from $75 to $175, thanks Joe Biben.
View Quote
Haha, I started that thread. Still love me some Tad gear. Have a shit ton.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps, but then again, waxed canvas just plain works, and it will outlast most modern designs/materials. Trade off is increased cost, less flexibility, and they need periodic upkeep to stay weatherproof.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Their products are top notch, but very spendy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a couple of their jackets and a Litespeed pack. They've held up very well so far.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#44]
After Patrick Ma left they have turned to crap. Check out offerings from outdoor research and beyond clothing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
After Patrick Ma left they have turned to crap. Check out offerings from outdoor research and beyond clothing.
View Quote

I think he is at prometheus design werx now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
After Patrick Ma got kicked out they have turned to secret agent homo spy gear crap. Check out offerings from outdoor research and beyond clothing.
View Quote

For the most part.

Disclaimer.  Owns mad Tad gear and waxed cotton awesomeness.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#47]
More money then sense.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought a Barbour Beaufort a few years ago - it's a tank and will last a lifetime.   Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I own that exact jacket.

It's my go-to jacket when it's wet and cool outside.

It's been great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top